HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has TMac Lost the Room?

Old
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
So I guess we should start calling him Slow Thornton?

ba-do-chee
So that makes Fatty Marleau and Slow Thornton... What is Dany?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Lol, Tortorella would've destroyed this team.
Sad thing is Tortorella was available when the Sharks fired Wilson and they probably didnt even consider him.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
So that makes Fatty Marleau and Slow Thornton... What is Dany?
Dany Beat-Me?

Fanny Heatley?

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Kitten Mittons

Fatty Marleau - Slow Thornton - Fanny Heatley

Noice.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

How about ****ing Heatley? I mean that's what half the people here scream when he misses or fans.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Jesus Toews*

Does anyone else get the sinking feeling that the coaching staff and DW will still have their jobs even if the Sharks miss the playoffs?

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Does anyone else get the sinking feeling that the coaching staff and DW will still have their jobs even if the Sharks miss the playoffs?
I hope not, someone needs to be held accountable and its all of the above from Coaching to the Players.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:53 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I doubt it. I think McLellan would be gone. There is no excuse for this team not to make the playoffs that McLellan can make and not look like schmuck

In fact, if this continues much longer, I think he's gone sooner rather than later.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
I doubt it. Owners don't mind not winning a cup compared to not making the playoffs. Not making the playoffs hurts the owners in the pockets. Hurting owners in the pockets usually isn't a great way to keep your job.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
OneTooth

36 SOG vs Sabres. SO.
43 SOG vs Preds. 1 goal.
37 SOG vs Ducks. SO.

1 goal in 116 shots and 2 shutouts in 3 games against midpack level teams.

OneTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTooth View Post
36 SOG vs Sabres. SO.
43 SOG vs Preds. 1 goal.
37 SOG vs Ducks. SO.

probably like 10 of 116 shots had a body in front of the net. I think San Jose could turn Holmstrom and Smyth into perimeter players.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:17 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I doubt it. I think McLellan would be gone. There is no excuse for this team not to make the playoffs that McLellan can make and not look like schmuck

In fact, if this continues much longer, I think he's gone sooner rather than later.
Just to throw gas on that fire - you gotta figure any time the GM has to speak to the players, it's because he doesn't think the coach is getting the point across.

McLellan was hired by Wilson to control this team's mentality and monitor their performance. If Wilson thought the coaches were doing their job just fine, there would be no reason to get involved at that level.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:22 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Just to throw gas on that fire - you gotta figure any time the GM has to speak to the players, it's because he doesn't think the coach is getting the point across.

McLellan was hired by Wilson to control this team's mentality and monitor their performance. If Wilson thought the coaches were doing their job just fine, there would be no reason to get involved at that level.
Good point. Beyond that and despite the comments from TM that it must come from within, the coach can be a demotivator. Motivation from the coach is limited and short lived. However, if a team is given the wrong system to play or players are unjustly criticized (unjust in their minds, not ours), the coach will lose the room. The other indicator is the accent on consistency which sounds a whole lot like perfection which is impossible. Sounds more like if "I have the perfect team which plays my system perfectly, then we would win." The reality is that the system has to be able to withstand some human (player) imperfections.

Again, I am not saying TMac has lost the room. Just giving the parameters for how it happens.

There is also a level of poor performance which can turn the players against themselves. Another not so good scenario. Scapegoating. That may very well be why DW used the method of self-criticism to make a point of the scapegoat issue not being so good.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
sjshrky27

You know the more I think about this, the more I wonder if team has somewhat turned agianst each other, or indiviuals on the team perhaps?

Sounds crazy maybe, but just maybe its true. JT/Patty/Heatley etc... sandbagging it because they hate Wallin and Huskins as much as we do! Trying to force a trade!

You heard it here first people!

After the trade. Joe will go 20 games in a row with a point or more
patty will tear through the 2nd half and set a record in points in that span
heatley will end up with 40 goals
Clowe will smile again

and Seto, well seto will prob still suck

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Thepainter

Start tanking for a high draft pick.

Might as well.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Start tanking for a high draft pick.

Might as well.

Mike Augello (Mapleleafs writer):
"If you were looking for a tiny speck of optimism regarding the draft in June in relation to the Leafs, Mark Seidel, who blogs for CBC.ca and is the chief scout for North American Central Scouting indicated that 2011 is perhaps the weakest draft in 15 years. Although the practice of trading first round picks is never suggested, this is a draft that it may be understandable."

Maybe not a good idea.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Kitten Mittons

Every year is teh weakest draft year.

Old
01-10-2011, 08:11 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTooth View Post
36 SOG vs Sabres. SO.
43 SOG vs Preds. 1 goal.
37 SOG vs Ducks. SO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
probably like 10 of 116 shots had a body in front of the net. I think San Jose could turn Holmstrom and Smyth into perimeter players.
See? Sharks are in full playoff form already!

This IS the Sharks postseason!

And you guys were worried.....

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Pinkfloyd

TMac has lost the room, imo. DW having to come in is a huge sign of issues between management. The players will see that even when they know it's deserved. There is a lot of uncertainty with how things are done with this team. I think Wilson has shown he doesn't know how to build a Cup winner. I personally believe he has shown that he is not able to properly judge what the team needs when last trade deadline it was obvious the Sharks needed a top four d-man and the answer was Niclas Wallin. All last off-season, he heavily pursued conservative stay-at-home d-men like Hamhuis, Mitchell, and Hjalmarsson when a consistent issue for the Sharks, amongst many issues, has been the puck-moving ability from their d-men as a whole.

It looks as if McLellan is not willing to adjust to what he has and rather make the system and try to have the guys play his way. And when the GM is looking for players that go against what is needed for the system, you have a big problem. A consistent theme since McLellan has taken over is puck management...as it should be. Puck management is always the deciding factor in games these days. However, since after the first McLellan season, they've been regressing in this department in terms of acquiring players for this purpose.

I think the organization as a whole is in disarray. A coaching change isn't going to fix that. A GM change will if the replacement is the right guy.

The GM doesn't seem to be looking for the kind of players that fit his coach's system. The coach doesn't seem to be altering his system to maximize the players he has. The players don't seem to even know where to be most of the time nor do they seem to really know what the problem is, let alone how to solve it. Yeah you want the leaders to lead but if they don't know what the problem is or don't believe there is one, how do you expect them to know how to fix it.

The problems plaguing this team are not going to go away. They may shake enough of it off to get to the playoffs but there is nothing about this team that is a Cup contender...not even the top forwards because they're not selling out with the exception of Clowe right now...and I'm excluding Couture as a top player because nobody should be asking Couture to sell out for the benefit of leading this team in the same sense that you would ask a Marleau, Thornton, Heatley, Clowe, or Pavelski.

They don't have the right management. They don't have the right culture. They don't have the right system. They don't have the right players. I don't think that they're terribly far off from righting the ship and being a real contender for another three or four years. However, this year, they are way off and both the coach and the GM own the blame for that and the players play their part too.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
shoot the puck

I don't think Tmac has lost the room. The thing I don't like about him is he never stopped being a assistant coach. He's a good teacher but hasn't been a head coach.

He lets the players Nabby, Marleau dictate how much they want to play, how lazy they want to be. That doesn't work. A head coach doesn't let a player play everyday because he wants to. He doesn't let a player coast as much as he wants because hes a superstar.

Tmac doesn't make the hard decisions. That's just not a head coach. If he wants to change this team, he needs to become a head coach.

shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:31 PM
hockeyball

I was pontificating today on if we did trade Thornton how bad would our lineup look. Then I kind of realized he really isn't our #1 center atm anyway.

Marleau - Couture - Clowe
Heatley - Pavelski - Seto
Mcginn - Mitchell - Ferriero
McCarthy - Nichol - Mayers

Boyle - Murray
Vlasic - Demers
Wallin - Huskins

It's really not that bad, and leaves us cap space galore to upgrade wherever we want. Still, its betting a lot on Couture, but at least we have someone we can actually even consider making that bet on.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Kitten Mittons

That team fights for the 8th spot, unless you make some serious D upgrades and hire Trots.

As much as we bash Thornton, Couture would get massacred by someone like Pronger, and I'm not talking about physicality. Keith/Seabrook, Weber/Suter, Pronger/Timonen, Chara/Seidenberg, even Edler/Hamhuis - Couture and Clowe would lose that battle all the time.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
That team fights for the 8th spot, unless you make some serious D upgrades and hire Trots.

As much as we bash Thornton, Couture would get massacred by someone like Pronger, and I'm not talking about physicality. Keith/Seabrook, Weber/Suter, Pronger/Timonen, Chara/Seidenberg, even Edler/Hamhuis - Couture and Clowe would lose that battle all the time.
This current team looks like it is fighting for an 8th spot.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
This current team looks like it is fighting for an 8th spot.
Well, now they are. Few games ago they were fighting for the division lead. But now take away the "best" player - can't expect them to play any better.

Old
01-11-2011, 12:29 AM
hockeyball

Quote:

Pronger already owns Thornton anyway.