HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Has TMac Lost the Room?

Old
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
ilikebigjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
I really don't like what I've seen from Thornton lately. He needs to watch some tape of himself in 2006. it's funny, back then he looked like he never skated super hard, yet had 125 points. Note to Joe, running around like a chicken with your head cut off doesn't mean you're playing well. Hold onto the puck, stick your ass into the defenders gut, wait, and make a pass. No need to run around your whole shift.
joe is the man..... but i could not agree with this more. he looks like hes gripping his stick so hard and cant even seem to make/receive the simple passes even as well as the last 2 years, nevermind when he was breaking 100 pts and 90 assists....hes playing with nerves, and i dunno why.... the captaincy? worried to get blamed for everything? cuz its "his team" now?..... hes lacking the chemistry with everyone....somethings gotta give.

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
wtfisthis

He's just isn't playing at a level that he used to play at. His main asset is his playmaking and passing ability but when is the last time he made a great pass/play? He's just throwing blind passes all over the ice in the offensive zone. He still backchecks pretty good but that's pretty much it. Every other part of his game has gone out the window.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Heatley, Marleau, Setoguchi, Mitchell, McGinn...

Some real offensive dynamos Jumbo's been playing with this season. Every one of them has played well below expectations, and each of them has entirely a different mentality on the ice. I'm not saying Jumbo has been flawless this season, but I forgive him for not being able to find these guys with a pass.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Why can't we call this winning streak an overreaction? It can go both ways.
Because nobody is claiming we're suddenly favourites to win the cup or even go remotely deep. Seems like it's just far easier to come up with a prognosis of doom... guess if we predict to the team to fail we'll all be right at some point!

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
SJeasy

If people haven't been noticing the quick in-game line switchups, they should. TM is watching who the other coaches are matching on forwards and he is tweaking the lines for defense and offense. Pahlsson had JT's number against the Jackets and they had Nash's line against Pavs. Add Marleau to bolster the defense on the Pavs line and give JT the lesser wings. It worked.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 07:54 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
If people haven't been noticing the quick in-game line switchups, they should. TM is watching who the other coaches are matching on forwards and he is tweaking the lines for defense and offense. Pahlsson had JT's number against the Jackets and they had Nash's line against Pavs. Add Marleau to bolster the defense on the Pavs line and give JT the lesser wings. It worked.
This I did notice. Thanks for pointing it out.

I saw Eager out there with Thornton from time to time. It really was working. It was really quite amusing seeing Thornton's line. It was like a sort of shutdown line with the legit threat to score whenever if you let them.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:19 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
This I did notice. Thanks for pointing it out.

I saw Eager out there with Thornton from time to time. It really was working. It was really quite amusing seeing Thornton's line. It was like a sort of shutdown line with the legit threat to score whenever if you let them.
I think this is TM's idea after last year's playoffs. Get 3 lines and figure which one has the biggest advantage. Few coaches go with the quick in-game switchups on a regular basis. It's pretty original.

FYI, the Nash line was taking Pavs apart early. Not so much after Marleau was added. Pahlsson pretty much had the clamps on JT all night. And yes, Eager was added to Seto/JT because Pavs started getting the edge on the Nash line with Marleau. They then added Heatley to Pavs to really push that matchup. Couture/Vermette was pretty even all night.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:25 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

One thing I've been noticing that has me concerned, on the PK with the Sharks down 4 on 5, why in the world does the forward stand still in the middle of the slot and the other forward is now chasing the puck up high allowing the ponts shot from the opposite opposing d-man, they are never able to get over there in time, and it is just gifting a point shot scoring chance to the other team. Which of the 3 stooges derived this strategy?

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:11 PM
rideaucrusher21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
One thing I've been noticing that has me concerned, on the PK with the Sharks down 4 on 5, why in the world does the forward stand still in the middle of the slot and the other forward is now chasing the puck up high allowing the ponts shot from the opposite opposing d-man, they are never able to get over there in time, and it is just gifting a point shot scoring chance to the other team. Which of the 3 stooges derived this strategy?
I've been wondering the same thing too since last years playoffs. This strategy just allows the point man to walk in and take an open shot from just above the faceoff circle. I'm sure theres a reason for it, I'd just like to know what it is.

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
I've been wondering the same thing too since last years playoffs. This strategy just allows the point man to walk in and take an open shot from just above the faceoff circle. I'm sure theres a reason for it, I'd just like to know what it is.
It cuts down cross ice passes low in the zone. It is more effective than a traditional PK against teams like Philly, Chicago, Detroit and possibly the Nucks (Nucks have some heavy point shots). Teams with outstanding passing skills. It is even more effective if they don't have a dominant PP trigger (slapper from the point). It is not so effective at pressuring the points which is what the strategy should be for about 85% of the league. I have been calling it the 1-1-2 PK.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
It cuts down cross ice passes low in the zone. It is more effective than a traditional PK against teams like Philly, Chicago, Detroit and possibly the Nucks (Nucks have some heavy point shots). Teams with outstanding passing skills. It is even more effective if they don't have a dominant PP trigger (slapper from the point). It is not so effective at pressuring the points which is what the strategy should be for about 85% of the league. I have been calling it the 1-1-2 PK.
The plus of it is that you hope your goalie can stop a point shot. However if you can't clear your crease your goalie is going to have a hard time stopping those point shots.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
The plus of it is that you hope your goalie can stop a point shot. However if you can't clear your crease your goalie is going to have a hard time stopping those point shots.
that is one good thing about this strategy with niemi in net, he has to be 1 of the best 1st shot save goalies in the league. yes his rebound control is horrible, but he atleast gives the sharks defense and forwards a chance to clear the puck.

he's not great at recovering, but he still is pretty good at recovering from his own rebounds to get back into position to make the 2nd save. 2nd save and on it just goes down hill, if the defense can't clear the puck after the 2nd save it most likely will be in the back of the net (which i guess can be said for 90% of the goalies in the league)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote