HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura vs. Korpikoski

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Habs selecting Chipchura over Korpikoski?
Yes, Chipchura is the man! 68 70.10%
No, Korpikoski brings more to the table. 24 24.74%
Gainey screwed up, he should have selected ________ (insert name) 5 5.15%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Jacques Strappe

vCash: 500
Chipchura vs. Korpikoski

I was just having a final look at the mock draft on the Habs board:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...23#post1548623

A tally of the 47 drafts finished with:

17 choosing Korpikoski to be drafted by the Habs and
9 choosing Chipchura to be drafted by the Habs.

Kudos to the Habs fans; most of them selected these two to be drafted very close together and in fact, went 18, 19.

The question is: "Are you happy with Chipchura, or would you have preferred Korpikoski?"

Old
06-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I'm really happy with Chipchura, he's a safe bet. At best he's gonna be a second line center, at worst a 3rd line center. What's even better is that he's someone with a lot of character and leadership, you need these to win. The Habs are filled with young talented prospects, we needed a "plumber" and we got one.

Old
06-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Jacques Strappe

Myself personally believe the Habs made the right choice. They need a big center and here's hoping in a few years this guy will fit the bill!
The one reason I may have chosen Korpikoski is that maybe he would have made the big team in a couple of years with fellow Fin Koivu taking him under his wing and showing him the ropes. But that's not much of a reason.

Chipchura though, I think is going to be a bonafide power forward for years to come - and that is what the Habs have been lacking for a long time!

Old
06-28-2004, 02:25 PM
SuperUnknown

Honestly, I haven't seen Korpikoski so this is a hard question. I'll vote for the prospect I know for now.

Old
06-28-2004, 02:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I wanted Korpikoski, but we'll see in 3-5 years who made out better. After not picking Korpikoski and seeing the rangers trade up and grab him I was left with a sick feeling that we just blew it, but who knows what will happen with Chipchura's development. I can't say I'm overly impressed by his game from what I've seen and read, but if his offensive game can progress much more, we could be in good shape. He's got to do better then a goal every 4.5 games or so, but I would think he shouldn't have a problem improving that number next year.

Old
06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
After not picking Korpikoski and seeing the rangers trade up and grab him I was left with a sick feeling that we just blew it, but who knows what will happen with Chipchura's development.
Hey when did Sather ever do good at the draft table? I think the fact he picked Korpikoski is a sign he's a future bust.

j/k

Old
06-28-2004, 03:22 PM
bopeep

I'm looking forward to seeing how Slats did with our 2nd rounder - Bruce Graham. And we got to borrow Kovy for a while.

Old
06-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I think in the actuel situation with the Habs depht chart, Chipchura was the better choice for us. We have Perez, Kast and Higgins who should play on the top two line if they pan out. After that, we have Hossa and Pleks and Urquhart who can play on any line if they made it. In addition of Koivu, Zednik, Ribs and Ryder who sould stick with the club for many years to come. That's a lot of player to put on the team. If we would have draft Korpikoski, he would have belong to the Kast and Perez category(only on the top two line) so that would have made one more player to put in the line up on the top two line. Bottom line, it's called a log jam...

By picking Chipchura, we could have a star to put on our third line. A player who will give his hart and soul to help the team. A player who is better serve to play on the third line but who can fill any hole on any line...With him, we don't have to botter of a bigger log jam in the team. He will play wherever the coach will put him.

Old
06-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
I think in the actuel situation with the Habs depht chart, Chipchura was the better choice for us. We have Perez, Kast and Higgins who should play on the top two line if they pan out. After that, we have Hossa and Pleks and Urquhart who can play on any line if they made it. In addition of Koivu, Zednik, Ribs and Ryder who sould stick with the club for many years to come. That's a lot of player to put on the team. If we would have draft Korpikoski, he would have belong to the Kast and Perez category(only on the top two line) so that would have made one more player to put in the line up on the top two line. Bottom line, it's called a log jam...

By picking Chipchura, we could have a star to put on our third line. A player who will give his hart and soul to help the team. A player who is better serve to play on the third line but who can fill any hole on any line...With him, we don't have to botter of a bigger log jam in the team. He will play wherever the coach will put him.
Korpikoski doesn't have the same skill level as Perezhogin or Kastitsyn. He is actually more of a mucker than a pure skill player. I think Chipchura and Korpikoski were both very viable options for Montreal as they are both hard working, intense players. For me the only advantage Korpikoski has over Chipchura is skating and while skating is a significant asset most scouts don't seem to think skating will be a problem for Chipchura even though he currently has some work to do in that area.

I think from Montreal's perspective they probably went with the player who has been a known commodity for a few years now and a player who was the consensus superior player out of the two up until the last few months. Korpikoski is simply more of a gamble than Chipchura and Korpikoski's limited upside simply wasn't worth the gamble of wasting a pick.

Old
06-28-2004, 04:26 PM
bopeep

Who says Korpikoski's "upside is limited"?

Old
06-28-2004, 04:32 PM
markov`

There was two players still on the board I wanted to select over Chipchura: Schremp and Meszaros.

Though, it's maybe better than Gainey selected Chipchura. He's way safer and both of Schremp and Meszaros could turn out into a bust. Now we have, at worst, a grindy 3rd line center who works his butt off night in and night out. We can't ask better.

Old
06-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Marksman

Chipchura and Korpikoski were both among my favourites, I just thought they were both gone when Habs make their pick. Doesnt make any difference to me, I can respect Gaineys judgement. I'm just glad we didnt end up picking someone just for size Valabik/Graham, guy with headcase reputation Radulov/Schremp or figure skater Lisin like someone was suggesting.

Old
06-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Guig

The habs need physical player and that's what they got when they draft Kyle Chipchura. I'm not saying that Korpikoski is a bad player, I'm saying that Chipchura is more the type of guy that the habs need.

Old
06-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
If we would have draft Korpikoski, he would have belong to the Kast and Perez category(only on the top two line) so that would have made one more player to put in the line up on the top two line. Bottom line, it's called a log jam...
You see, when you draft, it is to collect as many assets as possible (and the one you deem most worthy for your pick) so that you can have as many options as you can. It's not necessarily to cover holes in your current roster. But you are right, Chipchura is a safer bet.

Old
06-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
You see, when you draft, it is to collect as many assets as possible (and the one you deem most worthy for your pick) so that you can have as many options as you can. It's not necessarily to cover holes in your current roster. But you are right, Chipchura is a safer bet.
I was saying I'm happy that Chipchura was pick before Korpikoski because of our depht with the young offensive foward in the system because take off Kast and Perez and I would have prefer Korpikoski...
And I wasen't saying that Chipchura fill a hole in the team but he's the kind of player that you can put on any line...

Old
06-28-2004, 05:52 PM
theo6060

I think the question would be better if it were asked, "Was Chipchura the right player to take instead of Korpikoski?" The reason behind this is because a lot of the Habs fans were pulling for BG to take Korpikoski, me included. Although I was disappointed because I wanted him instead of Chipchura, I can't deny that Chipper was the better pick for this team. He brings to the team everything that the team is in desperate need of. While I'm not a big fan, he really was the right choice for the Habs and I feel that in a few years everyone will see this and agree with the choice Gainey made.

Old
06-28-2004, 06:29 PM
E = CH²

Some interesting questions have been discussed and debated at lenght in the official habs pick Chipchura thread. Some good points were made I didn't agree with and some other I agreed with that needs not be discussed again but I'll say this : I agree with the philosophy behind that pick. The habs have gone for skilled small wingers for the past couple of drafts, there was one big tough WHL kid available and apparently our scouting staff felt he was their man.

Bottom line is I have faith in the habs scouting staff abilities. I have faith that Chipchura was the last player they really wanted on their list at #18th which wouldn't seem to include Korpikoski. While a couple of players picked after Chipchura likely have a bigger offensive upside and while some of them will achieve it I think it's reasonable to hope that Chipchura might still have the bigger on ice impact with the habs out of all those guys.

Gainey, Timmins and co chose Chipchura and I'm fully behind their pick and our new prospect !

Chip-Chip-Churraaaaa !

Old
06-29-2004, 12:34 AM
SpezNc

I voted Chipchura...

Old
06-29-2004, 01:06 AM
leafaholix*

EASILY Kyle Chipchura.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:41 AM
prevail

Gainey had Timmins agree with him, and I trust Timmins even if he's pretty much new, he's brought some good kids from the class of '03.

In gainey we trust

Old
06-29-2004, 06:15 AM
Dragon

this thread reminds me a thread I saw long time ago

"Hainey vs Nederost"

Old
06-29-2004, 06:28 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
EASILY Kyle Chipchura.
May I ask what makes you so confident ? Just curious ..

Old
06-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Darz

I think when looking back in 5 years Chipchura might not be the best player selected 18th or later (I'm sure there will be at least one diamond in the rough), but I don't think too many fans will be disappointed, and I'm sure there will be more than a few selections 17th or higher that don't pan out as well as Chipchura.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:58 AM
eddy

Before the draft i liked korpikoski, nt that i've learned more about Chipchura, i'm ver happy about our selection.

Closed Thread