HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should be done to have a better chance to reach the Stanley Cup finals?

Old
01-10-2011, 02:06 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
home ice advantage is almost required to win the cup. the results pretty well prove that.
it was posted elsewhere. a team below 5 has never one. a team at 5 has only won once.

at somepoint the cup winner needs a series that is less than life or death. you dont tend to get those below two or three in the seeding order.

i have my questions about arnott, but will pass on them if McPhee buys him up. I do think with the injuries Poti has had the last 18 months that it would be smart to get some insurance there. Last season McPhee had Carlson and Alzner as spares. Right now the spares are Erskine and Sloan. One more player would be a good idea.

BTW...I see Patty McNeill is playing again. Maybe he will be ready in time to get some games in March?
That's fairly specious reasoning. Do you really think that if the league assigned seeds randomly to the 8 playoff qualifiers, tht the best teams (in terms of regular season record) would lose at a substantially higher rate if they happened to end up as a 6/7 seed instead of a 1/2 seed?

The reason no team below 5 has won is because the higher seeded teams are far better than the lower seeded teams. There is little evidence suggesting home ice actually matters more than slightly. I beieve it has been 18 years since the home teams collectively won even 60% of their games during a given playoff season. Recently, it's been barely above 50%. A few times (I believe last year was one of them), they've been UNDER .500.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Miller30Sabres*

semin for ryan miller

Miller30Sabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlamov1Caps View Post
semin for ryan miller
Albequerque!... see I can do it too... Snorkel!

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Caps defense is pretty solid since the streak.
Caps have learnt quite well how to play with a lead.

Transition from neutral zone to offense isnt quite there at the moment, partly because of form and partly because Nicky and others have been thinking defense before offense lately, which is a good sign.

Learning curve.
They will adjust and be better players out of it. Work your butt off till we get the puck, but as soon as we do, have the confidence in each other to move it quickly forward tape to tape.

We dont use deflection passes that much, they are a nice little help on transition for teams that are playing defensive first.

The balance will come i believe.
Keep the defense going as it is, along with the support they are getting from the forwards, the offense will come.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
That's fairly specious reasoning. Do you really think that if the league assigned seeds randomly to the 8 playoff qualifiers, tht the best teams (in terms of regular season record) would lose at a substantially higher rate if they happened to end up as a 6/7 seed instead of a 1/2 seed?

The reason no team below 5 has won is because the higher seeded teams are far better than the lower seeded teams. There is little evidence suggesting home ice actually matters more than slightly. I beieve it has been 18 years since the home teams collectively won even 60% of their games during a given playoff season. Recently, it's been barely above 50%. A few times (I believe last year was one of them), they've been UNDER .500.
ok...its very specious. a bottom 4 seed has won the stanley cup once. enough said.
if you want a realistic shot at the cup you need to be a top 4 seed. period.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:20 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryNumber5 View Post
Albuquerque!... see I can do it too... Snorkel!
ROFLMAO...

Or it could be, since the primary writing medium of the time was iron gall ink, the "pen" is... just a pen. But then why not say a pen? Why... why say "iron pen"?

...'Cause it's a prison.

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:04 AM
broad

Quote:
ok...its very specious. a bottom 4 seed has won the stanley cup once. enough said.
if you want a realistic shot at the cup you need to be a top 4 seed. period.
You're in marketing right? No wonder you can't determine causality.

Bottom 4 seeds rarely win the Cup because, get this, they're not as good as the top 4 seeds. It might have something to do with home ice advantage but it's not clear cut. Put last year's Chicago team as an 8th seed. Does this derail their cup run? Unlikely.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:32 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post

Bottom 4 seeds rarely win the Cup because, get this, they're not as good as the top 4 seeds. It might have something to do with home ice advantage but it's not clear cut. Put last year's Chicago team as an 8th seed. Does this derail their cup run? Unlikely.
sure might have. in the first round they would have had a very determined san jose sharks rather than nashville. they very likely would not have had vancouver in round 2 who they match up well with. as a result they might have had to play the red wings to get to the finals.

so, yea. might have easily derailed them.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:32 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post

Doesn't that work the other way too, though? Chicago doesn't fall to the 8th seed unless they're a substantially worse team than they ended up being. Great teams don't fall that far in the standings without some key flaws, flaws that make it hard to endure in the playoffs.

So, sure, all things being equal the seed shouldn't matter. But isn't the whole point that all things aren't equal? If the Caps end up as a 6-7-8 seed then they weren't as good as we expected in the first place, no?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:12 PM
sycamore

Just out of curiosity, what seed was Pittsburgh two years ago when they won the Cup? I remember they had a disastrous first half of the season which resulted in their coach being fired, and they came into the playoffs as a relatively low seed (like 4 or 5).

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
Just out of curiosity, what seed was Pittsburgh two years ago when they won the Cup? I remember they had a disastrous first half of the season which resulted in their coach being fired, and they came into the playoffs as a relatively low seed (like 4 or 5).
they were a 4 seed. they got the 6 seed in the finals. that was their break.

i think the reality of the situation is that if you say you dont care about the home ice advantage, you might care about the lightning beating the caps in the standings, if nothing else.

Old
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Just today Alzner was saying that we have evolved to play what he referred to as a road game. Having home ice advantage may be more meaningless than ever.

I have often thought that being at home isnt always a 24/7 advantage. Getting too cute with the puck. The pressure is almost always on the home team. Where it is big, is when the coach is matching lineups or shadowing their big gun. Or if your centers suck in the dot, and as a team you need the home ice advantage to survive. But then, you probably have no chance anyways. To the bigger point. If you cant win road games in the playoffs, you will never win a cup, no matter your seed.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Patriks7

Quote:
sure might have. in the first round they would have had a very determined san jose sharks rather than nashville. they very likely would not have had vancouver in round 2 who they match up well with. as a result they might have had to play the red wings to get to the finals.

so, yea. might have easily derailed them.
You obviously didn't watch their run. Nashville was their toughest series in the whole playoffs.

Patriks7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:38 PM
the4thline

A couple things I would like to see done.

1. Trade for Chris Clark (he has been scratched lately for c-bus)
-pending salary cap
2. Aquire a physical defensemen, not sure if Bieksa is still available. (Don't think Poti is a legitimate option at this point as his career appears to be near over)

Those are the two trades I would make....

the4thline is offline   Reply With Quote