HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wayne Gretzky.... Coach

Old
01-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Picaroon

vCash: 500
Wayne Gretzky.... Coach

I would first like to state that this is simple an idea for the sake of discussion.

Watching the game last night, I was thinking, "JM is a pretty damn good defensive coach. He has drilled the defensive system in to every last one of these players, but that is all he is going to do". They have the concept and there is little more that JM has to offer. So then I thought, "We need a coach who knows offense and maybe the defensive aspect will just come through instinct after being brain washed by the JM system." This lead to my next question. "Who knows offense better than anyone?" Wayne of course!
I would agree that Wayne didn't end up making much of a splash as a coach, but it was experience and he knows the game (understatement).
Well, i just thought this would be a fun debate because the board has been pretty dull lately.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:51 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I think your idea has merit as long as Wayne isn't brought in as a head coach. I say go off the board and bring him in as an offensive coordinator. Work with the coaches and players on offensive systems and styles.

The problem is JM is probably too ingrained in his ways to think outside the box and implement something that has never been done.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:58 AM
PunkinDrublic*

143 Wins 161 Losses...no thanks !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:09 AM
HCH

One of the worst coaches ever... and now he is way to busy with his business interests.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

A big pass from me. He may be an A+ hockey player he is a D- grade human being.

He had a decent gig in Phoenix and he gassed it by charging them $8 million a year in fees. That is outright highway robbery and for a man who supposedly knows the game.

Look at what happened with the Toronto Argonauts when his BFF, Bruce McNall got serious jail time for being an outright scam artist when his sports empire collapsed. I remember Candy and Pinball for standing up for their team as they led Bruce away and Gretzky abandoned the team and his home town as fast as he humanly could.

The big one is the Tochett scandel, he shouldn't be allowed in pro hockey as a player, coach or in management forever for that stunt. It was wrong, it was illegal and it was criminal. If an average former NHL hockey player did that they would done exactly that (banned him for life) and the NHL wouldn't of thought twice about doing it.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Kriss E

No thx, I have no interest in giving 2nd chances to coaches that failed the first time around.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
llamateizer

a good hockey player doesnt mean he'll be good as a coach
Kirk muller and Perry Pearn are doing the job too.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:39 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

The timing of this thread is REALLY weird.

I had a dream last night where Gretzky was the new head coach of the team.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Uhh, no? Did you see how Phoenix turned around after then bounced Wayne?

No offence, he is the best hockey player ever, but the man is a terrible coach.
Just because you had success in your personal career, doesn't mean you can transmit that knowledge very well.

Look no further than our very own Guy Carbonneau, the guy could not teach our centers jack **** on winning faceoffs despite being one of the best at it in his time.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:47 PM
RE-HABS

More times than not great hockey players don't translate into great coaches.

Gretzky is a GM type of guy, he shouldn't be behind the bench. Former players that are coaches are usually your 3rd - 4th liners as they play in all situations and spend a lot of time on the bench and listen to the coaches and get an all around feel or the game.

Gretzky probably gets too frustrated as the players can't execute how he could, making players hard to coach and coaching hard to do in general.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
... Former players that are coaches are usually your 3rd - 4th liners as they play in all situations and spend a lot of time on the bench and listen to the coaches and get an all around feel or the game....
Lindy Ruff

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:11 PM
CanadienErrant*

Are we already April 1st ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:09 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Wayne is a good hockey player, but other than on the ice, he should come no where NEAR a rink.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:20 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
143 Wins 161 Losses...no thanks !
Phoenix was a real juggernaut. Wayne Gretzky has more hockey sense and vision than any man on the planet and likely will forever. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing the greatest hockey mind ever on board. I just wouldn't throw him in as head coach right away.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:22 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

He had a decent gig in Phoenix and he gassed it by charging them $8 million a year in fees. That is outright highway robbery and for a man who supposedly knows the game.

Look at what happened with the Toronto Argonauts when his BFF, Bruce McNall got serious jail time for being an outright scam artist when his sports empire collapsed. I remember Candy and Pinball for standing up for their team as they led Bruce away and Gretzky abandoned the team and his home town as fast as he humanly could.

The big one is the Tochett scandel, he shouldn't be allowed in pro hockey as a player, coach or in management forever for that stunt. It was wrong, it was illegal and it was criminal. If an average former NHL hockey player did that they would done exactly that (banned him for life) and the NHL wouldn't of thought twice about doing it.
D- for a human being lmao. Get a grip. The great one might be the only elite superstar in sports history to basically have no controversy throughout his whole playing career. He was a model citizen and a role model for all Canadian children. You are holding him accountable for the actions of others.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

I hope you're joking. Gretzky isn't a part of tocchet's scandal. Gretzky was proven innocent. I believe his wife was involved...but she isn't in sports and even then, it isn't HIM. D- as a human being? C'mon, that's terrible. Gretzky is and has always been a class act. I can't believe you can say that about someone as modest as Gretzky. It's mind-boggling.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:41 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
More times than not great hockey players don't translate into great coaches.

Gretzky is a GM type of guy, he shouldn't be behind the bench. Former players that are coaches are usually your 3rd - 4th liners as they play in all situations and spend a lot of time on the bench and listen to the coaches and get an all around feel or the game.

Gretzky probably gets too frustrated as the players can't execute how he could, making players hard to coach and coaching hard to do in general.
I guess Mario Tremblay wasn't listening when he was on the bench

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I hope you're joking. Gretzky isn't a part of tocchet's scandal. Gretzky was proven innocent. I believe his wife was involved...but she isn't in sports and even then, it isn't HIM. D- as a human being? C'mon, that's terrible. Gretzky is and has always been a class act. I can't believe you can say that about someone as modest as Gretzky. It's mind-boggling.
I have zero tolerance when it comes to players, management or coaches being involved with fraudsters and the gambling crowd. If you want to be involved in sports, then play or coach and if you want to gamble, quit sports and gamble.

A fixed game is the worst thing in sports. The worst and it's almost impossible to get rid of once it gets rooted in deeply unless you get rid of all the owners and start up with a brand new league and this a couple of decades long process.

Hanging around people like that McNall and Tocchett shows terrible judgement on Gretzky's part.

His wife was betting with serious amounts of coin, something there was almost no way could be hidden from him unless he didn't want to see it. You don't think he has auditors going over his books and financial records and that amount of money moving in and out of his bank accounts would set off red flags week in and week out.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

we should hire Pierre Pagé with Sundin as assitant coach and Patrick Traverse coaching the D.

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 01-09-2011 at 11:44 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Uhh, no? Did you see how Phoenix turned around after then bounced Wayne?
They're a real juggernaut so far this season with their 19 wins and 22 losses.

Gretzky didn't seem to be a very good coach, but I doubt that he's the reason the Coyotes sucked.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
The timing of this thread is REALLY weird.

I had a dream last night where Gretzky was the new head coach of the team.
That's pretty wacked

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
I have zero tolerance when it comes to players, management or coaches being involved with fraudsters and the gambling crowd. If you want to be involved in sports, then play or coach and if you want to gamble, quit sports and gamble.

A fixed game is the worst thing in sports. The worst and it's almost impossible to get rid of once it gets rooted in deeply unless you get rid of all the owners and start up with a brand new league and this a couple of decades long process.

Hanging around people like that McNall and Tocchett shows terrible judgement on Gretzky's part.

His wife was betting with serious amounts of coin, something there was almost no way could be hidden from him unless he didn't want to see it. You don't think he has auditors going over his books and financial records and that amount of money moving in and out of his bank accounts would set off red flags week in and week out.
Exactly.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Mike8

Quote:
So Gretzky's friend and wife were involved, but not him? Hmm...

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I can understand that you were a big fan of Gretzky, but really, it's not because you never heard anything bad about him before that he can't be involved. It's not like you know the guy either.
It's like the regular friendly neighbor or school teacher that ends up being a serial killer or rapist. Or the loving father and husband that turns up gay. Sometimes, you just don't know.

You can believe that Gretzky wasn't involved, just like OJ wasn't guilty. But you have to admit, what are the odds that having his wife partake in a high roller underground gambling sports organization that was pretty much created by the assisstant coach of Gretzky does NOT look good. I mean seriously, who are we kidding here. Odds are, he was very well aware of what was going on.

Either Gretzky is one of the most oblivious person in the world, or stupid. You chose.
Personally, I don't care. I respect his talent, just like I do any great hockey player. What they do on their own free time or outside the rink is none of my business, even if they take on bets. I don't know any hockey player. They can all say great things during interviews or donate some of their money to some charities, nobody ever really knows them. As individuals, they don't deserve more respect than the guy serving me at the gaz station every day.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:31 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

As time passes more and more people disrespect the guy who was basically Crosby, Thorton and Toews at once.

Personally, I'd take a lot of coaches before Martin but Gretz just can't cut it it seems.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote