HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Wisniewski Appreciation Thread !

Old
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Figured I'd post this here.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/313067.html

How can someone that has been following hockey for so, so long, be completely clueless??..I just don't get it..

Bertrand Raymond has to be my worse journalist or columnist or moron, whatever you want to call those guys, after RT.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Darth Joker

He's Ok defensively, as in not a liability in his own zone. He's not a "difference maker" back there, but that goes both ways - he's not the difference maker for the other team, either, like MAB could be.

And really, that's all I expect from offensive defensemen, to just be Ok in their own end.

Wiz has a lot of things going for him that makes him especially valuable to the Habs, imo:

1. An experienced right-handed shot.

2. OTOH, still very young in his mid-20s.

3. Helps out the PowerPlay a lot.

4. A solid Top 4 D that also looks fine on your PP's first wave.

Given that most of our D are either really getting up there in years (Hammer, Gill, Spacek) or, on the flip-side, are young rookies (Subban, Weber), having a guy inbetween is a real help to the Habs.

I'd honestly go up to $4.5 million a year to resign Wiz. That would be my limit, but I'd go up to it. I hope we can get him for somewhere between $3.5 and $4, though.

I'm going to say this right now: If Wiz doesn't resign with us before July 1st, he's going to command upwards of $4 million a year on the open market, no question. How often can a team add an UFA Top 4 D with Wiz's offensive talent, who's about to enter the prime of his career?

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:56 PM
valkyrur

Wisnewski

the new acquired Habs blue-liner already has two powerplay assists in the first period vs Rangers...is he the answer to the Habs banged up blue-line?? or will we see some more new faces on the blue-line?

valkyrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM
valkyrur

i think a guy like Chris Phillips would be great on the team!
strong defensive presence that can help Carey Price in tough situations!!
any other player comes to mind?

valkyrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:02 PM
D3nZ

I would let James blow me an Avery.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Representing. The Wiz is a cool as ice.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

he's going to be so expensive

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:09 PM
LeHab

MAB when he is called back by Tampa

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:07 PM
HabsolutelyCanadien

Nobody Beats The Wiz!!!!!!!

HabsolutelyCanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
he's going to be so expensive
Haha that's the big problem... if they give him 4.5 mil and he turns into MAB next year.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:38 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Wiz? According to some we could of had the same results with MAB.

Saint Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Toro

Wiz has fit in pretty good so far. Hope he keeps it up.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Wiz has fit in pretty good so far. Hope he keeps it up.
At 26, he's just entering his prime. This guy could be for real. Hope we'll see him in a Habs jersey for a few years!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

He kinda scares me in his own zone sometimes, that is pretty much his only glaring weakness. Given our defense corps at the moment though, that's not saying much because the majority of them have some pretty big brain farts every game.

Solid pick up, and I certainly wouldn't mind him being re-signed if the price is right which in my opinion would be somewhere between 3.5-4M.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

He's been awesome since he got here. As advertised, he's not a genius in his zone but he's tenfolds better than MAB so he's alright. He's going to be expensive to lock-up but I think it's time we finally pay a bit more to keep our triggerman instead of looking for another option every year and therefore having out PP suck balls for the first 20 games of the season. After not wanting to overpay for PP QB's in the last years, I think it's time we do it.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:52 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
He's been awesome since he got here. As advertised, he's not a genius in his zone but he's tenfolds better than MAB so he's alright. He's going to be expensive to lock-up but I think it's time we finally pay a bit more to keep our triggerman instead of looking for another option every year. After not wanting to overpay for PP QB's in the last years, I think it's time we do it.
Agreed.

He is lightyears better than MAB in his own zone, he's better than Souray was (and brings that toughness element that SS brought), and he's better defensively than Streit was at the time we let him go. Not to mention, I don't know if he's been mentoring Subban or if PK has just been picking up details from Wisniewski's game on the PP but ever since James has joined the team Subban has done an unbelievable job on the power play. Perhaps less pressure on his shoulders? Either way, it's a positive and we need to keep going down that road as it helps the team greatly and helps Subban ease into his eventual spot.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:55 AM
A1
Everything is awful

4 years 4 million/yr. DO IT!

This revolving door for the big shot on the PP has got to stop. Souray-Streit-Schneider-Bergeron-Wisniewski

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Agreed.

He is lightyears better than MAB in his own zone, he's better than Souray was (and brings that toughness element that SS brought), and he's better defensively than Streit was at the time we let him go. Not to mention, I don't know if he's been mentoring Subban or if PK has just been picking up details from Wisniewski's game on the PP but ever since James has joined the team Subban has done an unbelievable job on the power play. Perhaps less pressure on his shoulders? Either way, it's a positive and we need to keep going down that road as it helps the team greatly and helps Subban ease into his eventual spot.
As usual, agreed 100%.

I think PK has been watching Wiz very closely and has picked up on what works on the PP and what doesn't. You'll notice he doesn't have his stick raised-up every time the puck comes near him. He actually handles the puck and has a better shot variety; he puts wristers on the net for deflections and rebounds now.

It's definitely less pressure as well, especially when he plays with Wiz. The other team is more scared of Wiz's shot so they cover him tightly, leaving PK open to make a play like the pass he made to Pleks last night.

Really, Wiz is exactly what the doctor ordered for Subban. He now has Gill to go to for advice on the defensive side of things, and Wiz for the offence.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Bullsmith

He's an excellent fit in Montreal, and so far he's a pretty good role model for PK to learn from. He's not an all star and he'll probably be over-priced to resign, but so is almost every D in the league who reaches UFA. Hopefully he'd rather stay in Montreal than bounce to yet another team and will accept a decent contract rather than push for the maximum dollars from, usually, the worst team.

When Montreal's winning, it's a great place to play. If I were Wiz, I'd want to stay.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:15 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

9 points in 8 games

Best pick-up ever! Recognize!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:39 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
He's been awesome since he got here. As advertised, he's not a genius in his zone but he's tenfolds better than MAB so he's alright. He's going to be expensive to lock-up but I think it's time we finally pay a bit more to keep our triggerman instead of looking for another option every year and therefore having out PP suck balls for the first 20 games of the season. After not wanting to overpay for PP QB's in the last years, I think it's time we do it.
Absolutely agree. Especially with Markov missing so much action in the last few years, I'd be scared to let our D rely solely on him for offense... well, and Subban, but I don't want him in big pressure situations right now. Not alone.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
He could be a big part in the re-shaping of our d-corps. I know people are on the fence on this one, but looking at the UFA market this summer, I'd say we should be signing Markov to a 1 year deal (if he'll accept it), and we could go with...

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Wisniewski
DEFENSIVE D - Subban
Weber

Hamrlik also re-signed to a cheaper, 1-year deal, cause I like the pairing and think he's a good guy to have around. Spacek hopefully can somehow be shipped out. And the defensive D could be a number of options, like Philipps, Montador, or Skrastins.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
He could be a big part in the re-shaping of our d-corps. I know people are on the fence on this one, but looking at the UFA market this summer, I'd say we should be signing Markov to a 1 year deal (if he'll accept it), and we could go with...

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Wisniewski
DEFENSIVE D - Subban
Weber

Hamrlik also re-signed to a cheaper, 1-year deal, cause I like the pairing and think he's a good guy to have around. Spacek hopefully can somehow be shipped out. And the defensive D could be a number of options, like Philipps, Montador, or Skrastins.
Personally, I'd prefer

Markov - Wiz
Gorges (though he is more use to the right side) Subban
______ - Weber

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote