HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

blockbuster NYR - NJD - PP

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2011, 01:31 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
blockbuster NYR - NJD - PP

Suggested ďblockbusterĒ PROPOSAL --- NYR-PP-NJD {As a technical matter, if purists require same, this may be broken down into two separate deals, which for convenience sake is combined here.}

ballpark Cap [current Capgeek figures to one decimal, not rounded, all in millions]

Pens give up: Malkin (8.7), J. Staal (4.0), Fleury (5.0), Kunitz (3.7), Potter (0.5) = 21.9
Pens get: Kovalchuk (6.6), Brodeur (5.2), Gaborik (7.5), Stepan (.8), Talbot (.9) = 21.0
+ draft picks (NYR #2, NJD #3)

Devs give up: Kovalchuk (6.6), Brodeur (5.2), Arnott (3.2), = 15.0
Devs get: Del Zotto (1.0), Girardi (3.3), Thomas (.8*), Rozsival (5.0)^,
C. Johnson (.8), Fleury (5.0), Kunitz (3.7) = 19.6(14.6)^
+ draft picks (NYR #2)
^ assume NJ immediately trades Rozsival for #2 pick, so - 5.0 = 14.6.

Rangers give up: Gaborik (7.5), Stepan (.8), Del Zotto (1.0), Girardi (3.3), Rozsival (5.0), Thomas (.8*), C. Johnson (.8), Talbot (.9), = 20.1
Rangers get: Malkin (8.7), J. Staal (4.0), Arnott (3.2), Potter (0.5) = 16.4
+ draft pick (PP #5)

* not listed w/capgeek; guess as to minimum for him on an entry level

Discussion:
Kovy to Devs not all last year promised; arguably it seems better for both to move his big $/long term contract if it helps Devs rebuild; while not suddenly chopped liver, Kovyís value is highest to team like Pens that wants high end wingers w/Crosby. Add Gaborik, and that is truly a dominant, terrifying line for 20ish minutes per game. Pens get Brodeur, not clearly the all time greatest. though unarguably one of the best ever; itís not clear whatís left in his tank, but itís a good risk and only a commitment to end of next year. A huge consideration for Pitt is they get out from under that multiyear deal w/the overpriced MAF, said to have the best reflexes in the game, but who still must develop skill to exploit that talent; such a move to not have as much salary concentrated in MAF is huge. Thus, something which moves Kovy and MAF can make sense to some degree, especially as Brodeur is not seen as much longer in NJ nets. Malkin and Staal is a big loss at C; however, Stepan is nice piece, only getting better, already 3rd line showing he can step up to 2nd line, which fits Pens scheme. Again, salary being repurposed and redirected is a key. After this, while Kovy and Gabby are not cheap, itís arguably a better situation salary wise. Likewise Kunitz is someone Pens wanted down the depth chart for less $$, so moving him here is again advantageous. Talbot is young G prospect for Pitt once Brodeur is done and they want competition for Ty Conklin [or a trade chip] in the wings. Pens have enough D to return Potter for the picks with upgrade, which helps alleviate the gamble of a #3 for Hamhuis earlier.
As result of these deals, Pens save a roughly a mil in cap, with the only huge salary now Crosby, a couple of larger ones (Gaborik + Kovy) being more manageable..

NJ likely plays along if there is enough in it for them. The risk reward of MAF is acceptable, but to do this, and also take on the extra salary needed to make a cap fit, means they will have to be bribed with at least one core piece, and that is Del Zotto; he is the real deal playmaker they have missed since the days of Niedermayer. Girardi is a solid block who improves your D, or is a solid #2 pick + [i.e., add a #5 or #4, and youíll get a #1]. Christian Thomas is a solid scoring W prospect; not the same physical specimen as Grachev, or the shot of Werek. But he seems to be developing faster at an all around NHL game, what Lamarelo wants. Kunitz is a little more $$ than ideal, and with room for improvement, but reportedly has shown flashes of real ability and certainly can compete for NJ roster spot. Chad Johnson is the young G who competes now and next year. Arnott not in long term NJ plans, especially at 4.5 mil, and while heíd otherwise go elsewhere, heís in this deal for cap balance, which NJ can accept for the overall benefit. Rozsival here for cap; would have to be immediately dealt, which is not unreasonable assumption, especially as I understand his actual salary will be $3mil. Devils trade up to a #2 from NYR.
As result of these deals, Devils save roughly half a mil in cap.

It costs, but NYR get Malkin and J. Staal, Potter fits into the immediate D situation, and Arnott is a playoff run rental, with his cap space recovered next year (for NYR RFAs and any appealing UFAs). We have moved both our two 2s, with lesser picks to reduce that cost.
As result of these deals, NYR save a roughly half 3.5 mil in cap, not counting Arnottís 3.2mil, which goes off the books next season, instead of Rozsivalís 5.0m the following year.

Pittsburgh is basically the same, swap Gs getting Brodeur, add Gaborik, Kovy, and Stepan at cost of Malkin, J. Staal, Kunitz, + Potter,, add a prospect G.

NJ swaps Gs, also adding a G prospect and MDZ + Girardi immediately, with Thomas to follow down the road. The younger Kunitz replaces the veteran Arnott. Mostly their roster remains.

NYR gave up the most bodies; their roster looks the most revamped.

Grachev Malkin Prust
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Frolov J. Staal Boyle
Federtenko Drury MZA/Boogard

with Arnott/Avery/Christensen/Prospal in the mix,
and down the road Krieder/Soryal/Werek/Horak/Hagelin

{Iíd trade Avery for a pick to the Canadiens if it is true that the Habs were looking for a W with speed to complement Gomez.

I can see Arnott or Boyle + x for Barrett Jackman + y if more D is needed.

Christensen + prospects Thomas Kundratek Daniel Maggio, + Dale Weise + Brodie Dupont
are a downpayment with picks on a discounted Kaberle rental/Colton Orr from Toronto.}

On D, M. Staal Gilroy*
Eminger McDonagh
Potter Sauer
this leaves Valentenko/Dowzak/Bickel/McCue/Baranka/Baldwin/Niemi call ups from Hartford
with Paskin available next year. Let the Ivan Baranka age begin!!

* yes, I paired Gilroy because he has speed + playmaking potential w/Staal, who is a stay at home type, because it is complementary.

I'm sure all homers will insist I should have given them more.
To them I ask why, on balance, is it not as generally even as the cap picture suggests?

First post, but feel free to get your ya-yas and flame away if you must...

Old
01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
hahah Devs get f over
and this will never happen

Old
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

The Devils won't give up on Kovalchuk after a year.

Old
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
apice3*

A 16 player swap, not including several draft picks? Why don't the three owners just trade franchises and call it a day. That being said, only way the Devils do this is if they get Lebron.

Old
01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

my head hurts. The Rangers and Devils have never made a trade. The last time the Pens/Devils made a trade I was running around in diapers.

Done from a NJD perspective.

Old
01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Marty30

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
A 16 player swap, not including several draft picks? Why don't the three owners just trade franchises and call it a day. That being said, only way the Devils do this is if they get Lebron.
I heard Lebron has a cannon for a shot. Why are proposals like this even made?

Old
01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
hahaha what the **** kinda new Rangers lineup is that? Grachev Malkin Prust?

all teams give up huge assests to recieve peices they don't need.
and i loled at what the Debbies get back. they would laugh too.

the Rangers aren't doing anything drastic (especially THIS drastic) for a long long time. we like what we got goin on.

Old
01-09-2011, 01:46 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty30 View Post
I heard Lebron has a cannon for a shot. Why are proposals like this even made?
I'd do Parise for Lebron + Ray Lewis. Devils get a solid piece to fix the defense and get a guy with a nice shot and can attack the net. Ravens and Heat get to share a player who will bring ladies to games. Parise is very dreamy, after all.

Old
01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Richter35

rangers get hosed as well here, are you a fan of none of these teams and just trying to screw them over or something?

edit: well not THAT hosed but I still wouldn't do it, we'd be all centers and short on wings, no young PMD either

Old
01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
boredmale

Pitt gets screwed, good for Rangers and Devils. At some point the Penguins will have to get rid of one of Malkin or Staal if they want to get a better winger, but not both

Old
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

It looks like you put a lot of effort into this.

That's disturbing.

Old
01-09-2011, 02:16 PM
DwightKSchrute

I stopped reading when you said " The Pens get: Ilya Kovalchuk",,,no thanks.

Old
01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
rangers get hosed as well here
I am a firm believer who gets the best player usually wins the trade, in the case of the rangers

Malkin > Gaborik ++++
Staal > Stepan and Del Zotto +++

everything else is filler

Old
01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Hell Yeah!!!

Looks fair for all sides.

Old
01-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

tl;dr

NYR and NJ don't trade, ever.

Old
01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I am a firm believer who gets the best player usually wins the trade, in the case of the rangers

Malkin > Gaborik ++++
Staal > Stepan and Del Zotto +++

everything else is filler
lolwut.

The Rangers get ****ed over here. Another brilliant post from the Bernmeister meister.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Seabound117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon89 View Post
I stopped reading when you said " The Pens get: Ilya Kovalchuk",,,no thanks.
Well put, I doubt any team will pay that big of a cap hit to get the Ryan Leaf of the NHL.

Old
01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Something like this only happens in video games, and that's not even the case anymore.

It also does nothing to help any of these teams, just puts them in the same situations with different needs.

Old
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Kaen

Possibly the most ridiculous proposal that I have ever seen. It sounds like something an 8 year old would come up with.

Old
01-09-2011, 03:38 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound117 View Post
the Ryan Leaf of the NHL.
Pretty crappy comparison. Even if Kovalchuk never regains form, at least he was good for a while.

He's the Alexei Yashin for a new generation.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:24 PM
racer90

i think...

devils seriously get robbed in this trade
rangers are in the middle
pens come out slightly ahead

Old
01-09-2011, 05:38 PM
arctic79

Pens get robbed when Brodeur reports to pitts and then announces his retirement the same day, great day for Johnson when he suddenly becomes #1 goalie for the pens, then Gaborik goes down for 6 months with groin issues after 2 games.

I honestly don't think Lou would ever trade Brodeur and if it was to ever happen Brodeur retires that day.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:58 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
lolwut.

The Rangers get ****ed over here. Another brilliant post from the Bernmeister meister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
Sorry I forgot this was hfboards where younger guys have way more value then 22 year olds who were Stanley Cup Champions and Selke nominees(and most likely would also have better statistics if he wasn't playing behind 2 of the best centers in the League)

Old
01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound117 View Post
Well put, I doubt any team will pay that big of a cap hit to get the Ryan Leaf of the NHL.
Ryan Leaf was a bust, Kovalchuk is no where near bust territory.

Old
01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Seriously how long did that take you? I dont really know what else to say here this is just horrific, after just looking at names im assuming your a devils fan because that's the only team that wins there and not by much. That was just rediculous not much more to say.

Closed Thread