TK suspended for six games

Old
01-09-2011, 03:16 PM
DBU
In A Dream

vCash: 50
TK suspended for six games

Quote:
Calgary Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos has been suspended for six games and will forfeit $29,569.92 in salary for delivering a blow to the head of Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart in NHL game #609 on January 7, the National Hockey League announced today.
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=548893

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:30 PM
robmneilson

vCash: 500
Surprised he got that many, but it was a nasty hit.

Sucks to have him out with the 4th line playing so well.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:23 PM
NCFC

A fair suspension for Kostopolous I guess. But how does this hit differ from Staal's hit on Stajan in which no suspension was warrented???

NCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:30 PM
DBU
In A Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFC View Post
A fair suspension for Kostopolous I guess. But how does this hit differ from Staal's hit on Stajan in which no suspension was warrented???
My guess would be that Stajan put himself in the position to be hit... admiring his pass, etc. while in this case, it would have taken something dirty (or close to dirty) in order for TK to put Stuart on his ass.

I don't know though.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFC View Post
That wasn't a hit to the head. It was shoulder to shoulder.

This one was more interference than anything. Also because of the severity of the injury is why he got 6 games.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:48 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
Also because of the severity of the injury is why he got 6 games.

The fact that he's a repeat offender probably had something to do with it too.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
That wasn't a hit to the head. It was shoulder to shoulder.

This one was more interference than anything. Also because of the severity of the injury is why he got 6 games.
How does a jaw get broken on a should on shoulder hit?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:53 PM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
How does a jaw get broken on a should on shoulder hit?
I was refering to the Staal hit on Stajan.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
I was refering to the Staal hit on Stajan.
Gotcha.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
kozie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Gotcha.
Haha, a little testy there huh? I understood what he was referring to. Settle down fellow Wings fans...

kozie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
The fact that he's a repeat offender probably had something to do with it too.
He isn't a repeat offender though. His last suspension was over 18 months ago, IIRC.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
OttawaFlamesFan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv-80o_zyZU

There was no penalty or suspension for this play, but I guess because bourque wasn't injured too bad, the league didn't care. I find suspensions always have to do with how hurt the player is.

OttawaFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Flames Fan View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv-80o_zyZU

There was no penalty or suspension for this play, but I guess because bourque wasn't injured too bad, the league didn't care. I find suspensions always have to do with how hurt the player is.
And it shouldn't. They should be penalized by the play not the outcome. It's like they are saying to the players - do what you want as long as you don't severely hurt anyone, you'll be fine.

Old
01-09-2011, 06:55 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post
My guess would be that Stajan put himself in the position to be hit... admiring his pass, etc. while in this case, it would have taken something dirty (or close to dirty) in order for TK to put Stuart on his ass.

I don't know though.
There is no difference other than Stuart was closer to facing Kostopolous than Stajan was to Staal. They both were watching the puck instead of watching for a hit.

Way too severe and totally inconsistent with the Stajan incident.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
mesaywee

Anyone have the video?

mesaywee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:53 PM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

Old
01-09-2011, 08:13 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
He isn't a repeat offender though. His last suspension was over 18 months ago, IIRC.

Wasn't it just last month that Kostopoulos sidelined Nick Schultz with an elbow, resulting in a concussion? And what does it matter if it had been over 18 months ago?

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
doesn't have to be a suspension... only takes a fine to be considered a repeat offender

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Pekkas Purse

Just watched the Stajan Stahl hit. Looks clean to me. TK came in late and lets face it Stahl is a better player than Stajan and Stewart dwarfs TK. Its about protecting good players not protecting players.

Side note. Just came from the Big Elite lacrosse tournament in Del Mar CA. Bunch of Canadian teams. Calgary/Okotoks punished the competion physically and I heard whining from San Diego/La Jolla parents as well as Texans. Way to go Alberta boys!!!

Pekkas Purse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
flames123

Different video with a different angle. Definietely looks like primary point on contact was head/jaw. Too long of suspension imo however.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Lunatik*

I'm not sure why so many think it's too long, I was expecting 5 games since he is a repeat offender, the hit was late, it was to the head and it caused a more serious injury...

I know suspensions shouldn't be based on the injury but in a case like this where there was NOTHING legal about the hit I think the league needs to look at the worst case scenario whether there is an injury or not... in cases with no injury ask themselves what would we give the guy if there had been an injury... i think you would see more consistent and more severe punishments... and perhaps they will start to learn...

I think they also need to set up some sort of minimum standard for punishing players if the hit is deemed suspension worthy (and I think more than Colin Campbell needs to decide if its suspension worthy (let him decide additional punishment to the minimum)... in fact have a committee of on ice officials where they vote on whether or not they deem the hit suspendable, with email and video files it woudl be quite easy to do... maybe something like this...

- Referee Committee of the 15 most Senior Officials (Referees and Linemen), 4 'alternates' to prevent the Officials from the game in question from voting. Each member reviews the videos available and votes Yay or Nay on the suspension via email to Colin Campbell. 8 votes of Yay and Campbell proceeds with the suspension. I think they should eliminate the meeting prior to suspension with the player and base the suspension purely on what they see and not what the player, his coach or GM has to say

- devise a minimum standard... start with eliminating single games suspensions... if its bad enough to be suspended its bad enough to sit out a minimum of 2 games... have stick infractions at a minimum of 2 games, with each repeat offense tack in an additional 2 games... hitting infractions minimum of 2 games... with each repeat offense tack on an additional 3 games... then there will be a 3rd category for non-hockey infractions... this will include things such as Kicking, Sucker Punches, Biting and Eye Gouging... these will be a minimum of 5 games... each repeat offense will be worth an additional 5 games... a player will not be a repeat offender if he hits someone from behind but was previously suspended for a stick infraction... but any offense from the non-hockey category carries into the other groups... for example if a player had previously been suspended/fined for a non-hockey play and hit someone from behind, they would be considered a repeat offender... but it will not work the other way as I believe non-hockey plays say more about a plays character than the hockey related plays

Old
01-10-2011, 02:17 AM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I'm not sure why so many think it's too long, I was expecting 5 games since he is a repeat offender, the hit was late, it was to the head and it caused a more serious injury...
I don't think the hit was late whatsoever, the puck had just got away a fraction of a second prior to contact and it was a normal follow through hit as far as timing goes. It was also North South hit, Campbell clearly stated it was not a blind side, and Stuart should have known better to keep his eyes open and stay ready. Kostopolous keeps his shoulder about 2 inches lower and that is a perfectly legal hit.

That said, he did hit his head and I do know where you are coming from and agree about being serious when protecting players from injury. I do think a suspension was warranted and I only have a problem with the length because of comparable incidents that have not been treated with consistent severity. If everyone who made a hit like that got 6 games, no problem but the boom seems to get lowered on the Flames in these judgement rulings and when we have a situation that we are the victims, it's a slap on the wrist for the other team if anything.

I know this is a more serious injury than Stajan got in that Staal hit, he only got "his bell rung" lol.

Check this video out at 2:53. It shows examples of good hits vs bad hits according to the NHL and was supplied to all teams in the league so they didn't get confused about what is going to be called with the recent crack downs on blind sides and head shots etc. Strangely, this Kostopolous hit is a near carbon copy of one by Pronger they describe as an example of a perfectly legal North South hit, the shoulder makes head contact and they say he had the responsibility to be more aware.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/1...los-suspension

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:53 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
I don't think the hit was late whatsoever, the puck had just got away a fraction of a second prior to contact and it was a normal follow through hit as far as timing goes. It was also North South hit, Campbell clearly stated it was not a blind side, and Stuart should have known better to keep his eyes open and stay ready. Kostopolous keeps his shoulder about 2 inches lower and that is a perfectly legal hit.

That said, he did hit his head and I do know where you are coming from and agree about being serious when protecting players from injury. I do think a suspension was warranted and I only have a problem with the length because of comparable incidents that have not been treated with consistent severity. If everyone who made a hit like that got 6 games, no problem but the boom seems to get lowered on the Flames in these judgement rulings and when we have a situation that we are the victims, it's a slap on the wrist for the other team if anything.

I know this is a more serious injury than Stajan got in that Staal hit, he only got "his bell rung" lol.

Check this video out at 2:53. It shows examples of good hits vs bad hits according to the NHL and was supplied to all teams in the league so they didn't get confused about what is going to be called with the recent crack downs on blind sides and head shots etc. Strangely, this Kostopolous hit is a near carbon copy of one by Pronger they describe as an example of a perfectly legal North South hit, the shoulder makes head contact and they say he had the responsibility to be more aware.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/1...los-suspension
the puck may have been around Stuart but it was clear from the start Stuart was no longer apart of the play and was 100% unsuspecting of the hit... I don't think Kostopoulos tried to hurt him but I think he delivered the hit late on purpose to try and send a message

Old
01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the puck may have been around Stuart but it was clear from the start Stuart was no longer apart of the play and was 100% unsuspecting of the hit... I don't think Kostopoulos tried to hurt him but I think he delivered the hit late on purpose to try and send a message
I'd have to agree with this, and I don't agree with Luny that often TK had no intention of playing the puck and you can see him just target Stuart going into it despite Stuart no longer being in the play, TK never let up.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:39 PM
TradeBait

I think this hit, and a lot the recent ones, bring up a bigger question. What's the purpose of hitting in hockey?

a) To separate a player from the puck
b) To motivate your team/crowd

This hit was neither. Did he really have to go in that hard? The reason nobody takes Kostopoulos's defense on this hit seriously is because it's obvious that no matter where he tried to hit him, the hit itself was completely unnecessary.

It all comes down to a respect players have for each other. Even if this hit was technically legal (which it wasn't) there's an unwritten rule that prevents this stuff from happening. I have trouble watching this with young kids in the room and then trying to teach them what a clean hit is the next day at practice.

Somebody needs to sit Kostopoulos down (along with a good portion of the players in the league) and say "It's not about how and where you tried to hit him, it's about why you hit him. Did you really have any purpose in doing that other than to injure him?". I personally think that the injury of the player SHOULD be taken into account when determining the suspension when it's obvious that the purpose of the hit was to injure.

I remember a day when there was respect in hockey and stuff like this didn't even need to be discussed.

TradeBait is offline   Reply With Quote