TK suspended for six games

Old
01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude35 View Post
I remember a day when there was respect in hockey and stuff like this didn't even need to be discussed.
You know as a 20 year old I'm always annoyed when people say this sort of thing, whether it be about hockey or whatever from their childhood. I haven't been around that long but its well known the players have made dangerous plays and even tried to injure the other guys for a long long time.

Here's a nice list of incidents going back to 1905... and these are only the ones where charges were laid. Give that a read and then try and justify that annoying "back in the old days" speech.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
You know as a 20 year old I'm always annoyed when people say this sort of thing, whether it be about hockey or whatever from their childhood. I haven't been around that long but its well known the players have made dangerous plays and even tried to injure the other guys for a long long time.

Here's a nice list of incidents going back to 1905... and these are only the ones where charges were laid. Give that a read and then try and justify that annoying "back in the old days" speech.
you're right... it's not new... there was never respect between players... I forget who it was (it was a star player that played in the 60s and 70s i think) but when asked about the lack of respect between players he said there never was. he said people would kill just to win the only difference is it was accepted back then.

there are 3 factors that are resulting in more injuries and more violent hits...
- the players are bigger than they used to be
- the players are faster than they used to be
- the equipment is harder than it used to be

so what happens when you combine these 3 elements when a shoulder hits a head? bigger + faster + harder = brain +mush

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
TradeBait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post

First off, I'd like to let you know that I'm in my late 30's and the "old days" I'm referring to are not that long ago, probably 15 or so years ago.

Lately in hockey I've seen players being slashed in the face, players intentionally stepping on other players, players biting each other, and not to mention a head checking suspension almost every week (I believe this week's was Toronto's Mike Brown). Now, I don't need a list of all the dirty plays from 15 years ago, I'm not denying that there were some pretty bad ones, but in today's game it has gotten significantly worse.

I can't watch a period of hockey without seeing a dirty check, a dirty slash or some sort of cheap shot.

There were always complete idiots in hockey, and there always will be. By no means am I saying that hockey used to be completely clean, but there is line that shouldn't be crossed, and players have always crossed it. But today it looks like that line is being crossed every other game.

It almost seems like what would be considered dirty back then is now okay. Hits that are being applauded today, used to receive boo's even it was a home player that delivered it.

Yes believe it or not, there once was a time where a player would skate across centre ice with their head down and the opposing team would think "Yes, I could plant my shoulder/elbow into his head; or smash his knees in, but I won't". Maybe it wasn't out of what you would call respect but they were probably thinking "This guy is my opponent not my enemy. We're just playing a game here; if I go in for the head check I could possibly injure him for the rest of his life. Do I really want to do that" or "There's probably going to be a time where him or one of his teammates has a chance to destroy me, and as we all know....Karma'sm a b*tch."

A lot of players don't think like this anymore, they see a head down and they go after it.

TradeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:04 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Kostopolous's suspension will be done Saturday when the Flames face the Canucks, who do you think will get scratched when he is able to return? or does he sit in the pressbox for a few more games.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
saillias

Quote:
First off, I'd like to let you know that I'm in my late 30's and the "old days" I'm referring to are not that long ago, probably 15 or so years ago.

Lately in hockey I've seen players being slashed in the face, players intentionally stepping on other players, players biting each other, and not to mention a head checking suspension almost every week (I believe this week's was Toronto's Mike Brown). Now, I don't need a list of all the dirty plays from 15 years ago, I'm not denying that there were some pretty bad ones, but in today's game it has gotten significantly worse.

I can't watch a period of hockey without seeing a dirty check, a dirty slash or some sort of cheap shot.

There were always complete idiots in hockey, and there always will be. By no means am I saying that hockey used to be completely clean, but there is line that shouldn't be crossed, and players have always crossed it. But today it looks like that line is being crossed every other game.

It almost seems like what would be considered dirty back then is now okay. Hits that are being applauded today, used to receive boo's even it was a home player that delivered it.

Yes believe it or not, there once was a time where a player would skate across centre ice with their head down and the opposing team would think "Yes, I could plant my shoulder/elbow into his head; or smash his knees in, but I won't". Maybe it wasn't out of what you would call respect but they were probably thinking "This guy is my opponent not my enemy. We're just playing a game here; if I go in for the head check I could possibly injure him for the rest of his life. Do I really want to do that" or "There's probably going to be a time where him or one of his teammates has a chance to destroy me, and as we all know....Karma'sm a b*tch."

A lot of players don't think like this anymore, they see a head down and they go after it.
This whole post is a load of crap. I'm sure that's moddable but there's not much else to say. Total trash.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
This whole post is a load of crap. I'm sure that's moddable but there's not much else to say. Total trash.
it is trash... i remember watching games in the 80s and if a guy had the chance to hurt someone they did... the only difference now is the instigator rule

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
"Yes, I could plant my shoulder/elbow into his head; or smash his knees in, but I won't".
Really this happened 15 years ago? Scott Stevens says hi. Players have always been cheap and the only reason it seems worse is because there are more rules which results in more penalties and suspensions.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
TradeBait

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Really this happened 15 years ago? Scott Stevens says hi. Players have always been cheap and the only reason it seems worse is because there are more rules which results in more penalties and suspensions.
I'm not denying that there was dirty players and dirty hits, but it happens so often now it seems like what once was considered dirty is now fine.

TradeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
BurnEmUp

15 years ago is not the "old days", and if you want to see some dirty hockey, and dirty hockey players, go get some tapes of the battle of Alberta from the '80's. Those guys tried to kill each other.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote