HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

How to get rid of Drury's contract?

Old
01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
DickSmehlik

vCash: 500
It might be easier to get two top offensive centers than it is to trade him.

He was at his best when he was playing 3rd fiddle to Sakic/Forsberg and Briere/Roy.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post

He was at his best when he was playing 3rd fiddle to Sakic/Forsberg and Briere/Roy.
Well he ain't doin **** behind stepan/anisimov/Boyle, not that their at the caliber of those guys but if your saying two top centers to take the pressure off dru, there's no pressure on him because at this point since coming back nobody expects anything of him.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:50 PM
crazyforhockey

Buyout is (after this year) 3.7166,667 and the following year 1,666,667

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Csonked Out

vCash: 674
Just loan him to a Swiss league like the blackhawks did, not that tough...

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
Just loan him to a Swiss league like the blackhawks did, not that tough...
It is pretty tough however to get a guy with a nmc and a family in NY to waive his nmc to play in Switzerland.....

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:45 PM
noBSleafsFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHo View Post
Drury is on pace for 17 points this season while taking up a whopping 7M (almost 12%) of NYR's cap space. On top of that, he will be a UFA prior to the 12/13 season so he still has a couple of years left on that contract. Aside from sending him down to the AHL, is there any way for the Rangers to get rid of his contract? Or should I say, is there any team in the league that would be willing to take on that ridiculous contract?

Some possibilities:
Drury +++ for Pominville
Drury ++ for Langkow
Drury + for Rolston
Drury+1st for Finger

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:00 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post

He should be a 50 goal scorer then, seeing as how he's on our 4th line!

We're stuck with this guy till his contract expires. It's not too bad though. He's still our best faceoff guy and kills penalties. He's like a 7M Blair Betts!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:12 PM
apice3*

Drury's contract is worse than Rolston's, and although Rolston is pretty useless, he's better than Drury.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Alvvays
Marle **3

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Drury's contract is worse than Rolston's, and although Rolston is pretty useless, he's better than Drury.
1) No. Not even close. Rolston has the 35+ clause, which makes even retirement count against the cap. And IIRC he has more years.

2) Again, no.

01-09-2011, 09:26 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetter30 View Post
I know I may sound crazy, but I wouldn't mind Drury on the Devils... IF HE'S HEALTHY. If there wasn't some guarantee that he'd be healthy to play 75+ games, I wouldn't take him.

They could use his leadership.

But, the OP included Drury + for Rolston. I'd do that. (ONLY IF HE COULD BE HEALTHY)

Since there's no such thing as this guarantee, Iwouldn't do it, but...
There's no way Drury is going to stay healthy and play over 75 games, in any year going forward.

It's simply age combined with the way the man plays the game. He throws any body part he can in front of the puck on the PK. He always ends up breaking something sooner or later.

I have great respect for the man, but there's no way he's playing anything close to a full schedule unless he changes the way he blocks shots, which isn't happening.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
KingPuckChoo

I think i agree with most people that the best way to get rid of Drury is to trade him to Montreal. And Montreal will easily justify the trade by stating theories about how bringing Drury to MTL will eventually lead to guys like Parise signing there during the summer. Just like they justified Gomez with the arrivals of Gionta, Cammy etc

Everyone's happy.

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Sather's contract signings of Gomez, Drury and Redden show the old man has become senile. He could handle a cap free league, but those days are long gone.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Drury is on pace for 17 points this season while taking up a whopping 7M (almost 12%) of NYR's cap space. On top of that, he will be a UFA prior to the 12/13 season so he still has a couple of years left on that contract. Aside from sending him down to the AHL, is there any way for the Rangers to get rid of his contract? Or should I say, is there any team in the league that would be willing to take on that ridiculous contract?

Some possibilities:
Drury +++ for Pominville
Drury ++ for Langkow
Drury + for Rolston
Calgary has no interest in Drury.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:50 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
Calgary has no interest in Drury.
I think I speak for most NYR fans when I say that we would rather live with the final year of the Drury contract than give up anything of value to get rid of him, or take anything toxic back for that matter. Drury is a known quantity to us, and while not the most pleasant pill to swallow, is not as horrible as some make it out to be. The guy is a positive locker room presence, and the younger players seem to genuinely look up to him and value his mentorship. With a bunch of vets injured, the Rangers ice one of the youngest teams in the league. Drury is not really a pressing problem for us.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Cybertron84

Souray?

Cybertron84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Avs would be intrested...

If his cap hit was several million dollars lower.

Just paid way too much for a grinder.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:36 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
1) No. Not even close. Rolston has the 35+ clause, which makes even retirement count against the cap. And IIRC he has more years.

2) Again, no.
1. I know what the 35+ clause is. You say retirement as if either one of these players is going to retire before their contract expire. They won't. Plus, Rolston is 2 mil cheaper for the same length. And Drury has an NMC which may be worse than Rolston's 35+ NTC. Drury can't be sent down, so effectively he's counting against your cap just as much as Rolston is. And he's costing more too.

2. Rolston has put up more points in 3 of the last 4 seasons, with that lone season being one where Rolston was hurt. They both work the PK.

Drury costs 2 mil more, for fewer points. Neither player is retiring. Drury can't be moved, Rolston has a 35+. Not sure how you can justify Drury being the better player or having a better contract.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I think Drury still has a soft spot for Buffalo, and I'm sure the Buffalo fans would welcome him back with open arms no matter what. I don't know if I'd give up Pominville for him though. Poms is a 20+ goal, 65+ point player every year, while being one of the better PKers and defensive wingers in the league. Not to mention he's only 28 years old, so he still has quite a few good years left in him. The +++ would have to be something like Chris Kreider (which NYR would never give up).

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:42 AM
pld459666

Chris Drury is overpaid.

However, he has 100% accepted his role of 3rd/4th line center penalty killer extrodinaire.

He's someone that may no longer be the player he was, but in the grand scheme of things in terms of the team dynamic that the Rangers have, he fits a role and serves a purpose.

Just like with Redden, we are not moving assets to move the contract.

Unlike the Redden situation, Drury can still offer something to the team and has only 1.5 years remaining with next year's salary of 5 million easily affordable.

He's no longer the 55+ point player he used to be. But he's still a player that the youth of the Rangers can look to got guidence and leadership and by the looks of it, the youth of the Rangers that are carrying thit team are doing well.

While it would be nice to find a deal that makes sense for the Rangers and Drury, there's no burning desire to move him where as with Redden his play had declined so much that he's barely a competent AHL rearguard.

Drury is going nowhere.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
How is Drury's contract worse than Rolston?

Drury with one hand is better than Rolston.

Rolston was offered for 1/2 the price and he's still is a Devil.

Sather would be more successful in moving Drury(if the Rangers wanted to move Drury which they don't)than Louie Lame was in moving Rolston based on Sather's track record for dumping contracts.

These are the same Debbie fans who couldn't stop pimping Langenbrunner to captain the US Olympic team and less than 1 year later refer to Langenbrunner as a "cancer". Very classy.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Chris Drury is overpaid.

However, he has 100% accepted his role of 3rd/4th line center penalty killer extrodinaire.

He's someone that may no longer be the player he was, but in the grand scheme of things in terms of the team dynamic that the Rangers have, he fits a role and serves a purpose.

Just like with Redden, we are not moving assets to move the contract.

Unlike the Redden situation, Drury can still offer something to the team and has only 1.5 years remaining with next year's salary of 5 million easily affordable.

He's no longer the 55+ point player he used to be. But he's still a player that the youth of the Rangers can look to got guidence and leadership and by the looks of it, the youth of the Rangers that are carrying thit team are doing well.

While it would be nice to find a deal that makes sense for the Rangers and Drury, there's no burning desire to move him where as with Redden his play had declined so much that he's barely a competent AHL rearguard.

Drury is going nowhere.
Torts hated Redden's game. They didn't like each other. Torts pushed hard Sather hard to dump Redden.

Torts and Drury have already discussed his role on the team. He will be used similar to the way he was used on the US Olympic team. If Drury is comfortable with that role(by all indications he is content),then Drury is going nowhere. Torts and Drury have a good relationship.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:

Some possibilities:
Drury +++ for Pominville
Drury ++ for Langkow
Drury + for Rolston
I will let Devils and Sabres fans shoot down the Pominville & Rolston ideas... but I will address the Langkow one...

Langkow's career is all but over. He isn't even cleared to skate right now and when he was he was only cleared to skate alone in fear he could get 'bumped'.. and those words were from Daymond himself in an interview... so there would be no reason for the Flames to do such a deal unless you are taking an additional $4-6 million in salary (which I doubt) and you are willing to make those pluses a 1st and a 2nd... I can't see the Flames having interest

but in fairness this board is for fun and what ifs... so let's pretend Langkow is healthy and ready to return next season... then I would accept a deal like this...

to Flames:
C - Chris Drury ($7,050,000)
1st round pick in 2012
3rd round pick in 2012

to Rangers:
C - Daymond Langkow ($4,500,000)
RW - Ales Kotalik ($3,000,00) non-negotiable

and yeah I know it's unrealistic... but to be honest I would rather have a healthy Langkow than a healthy Drury... and well i think there is a snowballs chance in hell of Drury waiving his NTC/NMC to come back to Calgary

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:49 AM
pens83*

One of fathers infamous signings. Thankfully for his same mon was dumb enough to take gomez off the rangers hands

pens83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:19 AM
alpine4life

being from Trumbull, CT (1h30 drive from NYC), I highly doubt that he woult waive his NMC to go anywhere except for Boston, which have absolutelly no need for him.

Isnt NYR's farm team in Hartford

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Prospal out of the lineup = Drury's chance to show off his intangibles. Let's see what the ole` boy has left in the tank!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote