HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Things about to blow up???

Old
01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
He has 16 points in 36 games. He was called a lazy player by Phx fans.

Glad we didn't go after him.
He was great last season for Pheonix, and for Colorado the season before that. He's a player that needed this change I guess.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
While I agree with you, it doesn't really matter to the success of the Florida Panthers if Booth makes $4.25M or $3.5M. I mean, if I were the owner of the Panthers I would certainly care that I was paying too much money for a player that doesn't produce enough. But we aren't talking about our pocketbooks here, so who really cares?

Because from a GM and a hockey perspective, the only thing that matters at this point is how close we are to the cap. The Panthers are nowhere near the ceiling, so this is really a non-issue. If your argument is "well, the Panthers have a self-imposed cap of X -$8M (or what have you) and Booth's higher salary is taking away money that we could be spending for another player."

Well how much money? It's only the $725k difference in the hypothetical overpriced contract, which is less than what we pay Darcy Hordichuk each year.

So ultimately, unless we care about the owner's personal finances or think Darcy Hordichuk or a player of his pay-grade is enough to be an absolute game changer I think we are spending too much time talking about a non-issue.
Well, it's cool that you came up with the number 3.5, but nobody else here was talking about that number. 2.5M is about what you'd pay for a 40 pt. scorer. Add a few K as Booth is on pace for 46 pts. and it's still not close to 4.5. Nobody being completely objective would say that Booth isn't very overpaid for what he is on pace to produce this season.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
He was great last season for Pheonix, and for Colorado the season before that. He's a player that needed this change I guess.
Why do you think Colorado got rid of him too? It was a trade of inconsistent overpaid player for another inconsistent overpaid player.

Old
01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
He was so great he was traded for Rosi? 'Great' players don't get moved like that. Sorry. I'm glad Tallon didn't make that move, he's not a Tallon guy anyway, and especially not at that hit.

01-10-2011, 06:22 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Like I said ( and I know it's a longggggggg shot) So far, Semin is a UFA and I am not sure if Washington can afford his contract, so maybe Tallon can work his magic and land Semin in the offseason. OR! He can trade Vokoun for Semin before/at the deadline. Again, I know I'll be stoned by the masses here for suggesting this,but Washington( I hear) is in need of a good goaltender and I am sure Vokoun would resign with a team like that, not to mention he deserves a winning team in front of him. I also think if there is one GM that could convince a player like Semin to sign with the Panthers, it would be Tallon.
i like it, would the credibility of Tallon be enuf to bring him here???

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Like I said ( and I know it's a longggggggg shot) So far, Semin is a UFA and I am not sure if Washington can afford his contract, so maybe Tallon can work his magic and land Semin in the offseason. OR! He can trade Vokoun for Semin before/at the deadline. Again, I know I'll be stoned by the masses here for suggesting this,but Washington( I hear) is in need of a good goaltender and I am sure Vokoun would resign with a team like that, not to mention he deserves a winning team in front of him. I also think if there is one GM that could convince a player like Semin to sign with the Panthers, it would be Tallon.
Not to get too much into fantasy trade proposals, but I'd much rather trade Vokoun for JVR.

If we won't spend big money on a FA, we need to acquire young players with upside who already have had some development. We need to look at the other 29 teams and find people (e.g. Santorelli) who just need a change of scenery to blossom. If we surround those players with quality veterans then we could really take some steps forward as an organization.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
However judging by the performance of many of our draft picks in last summer's draft at the world juniors and their respective teams i think that our recent picks will not only have a larger effect on this team than ones past but also should be available in a shorter period of time. Howden, Bjustad, Gudbranson all look like future NHLers from my viewpoint. I also dont entirely agree with your stance on the booth contract. At the time he was signed was well before anyone couldve imagined he would face a double concussion season. He also is a fan favorite and probably has the most pure talent of any of our offensive line. The key is to keep him and ADD ON so that we have a team that has david booth on the third line because we have so much talent (Think Sharp on the Hawks). The key for panthers is starting to win trades. If someone kept a record of trades over the league the panthers record on winning trades would equal the number of wins in games=Not very many. The key is upgrading on talent and not giving up too much in return. If the only way to do that is via the draft than so be it. And lets face it, the only way the panthers are going to attract high end talent in the market is not on promises of winning the stanley cup its by outbidding and overpaying guys and the panthers have done it over and over again. the problem is they have done with the wrong players.
Judging by their meltdowns...these guys are ready to be Panthers now!

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Judging by their meltdowns...these guys are ready to be Panthers now!
C'mon dude. They still have a ways to go to be true Panthers. In fact, I don't think any of them have maimed one of their own teammates yet.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:08 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
While I agree with you, it doesn't really matter to the success of the Florida Panthers if Booth makes $4.25M or $3.5M. I mean, if I were the owner of the Panthers I would certainly care that I was paying too much money for a player that doesn't produce enough. But we aren't talking about our pocketbooks here, so who really cares?

Because from a GM and a hockey perspective, the only thing that matters at this point is how close we are to the cap. The Panthers are nowhere near the ceiling, so this is really a non-issue. If your argument is "well, the Panthers have a self-imposed cap of X -$8M (or what have you) and Booth's higher salary is taking away money that we could be spending for another player."

Well how much money? It's only the $725k difference in the hypothetical overpriced contract, which is less than what we pay Darcy Hordichuk each year.

So ultimately, unless we care about the owner's personal finances or think Darcy Hordichuk or a player of his pay-grade is enough to be an absolute game changer I think we are spending too much time talking about a non-issue.
Totally agree,and I can't believe some logical posters around here think otherwise on the Booth front.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Totally agree,and I can't believe some logical posters around here think otherwise on the Booth front.
If you project this season to 52 points for Booth, the last three years he's had 40-60-52. He's a 50 point a year player. That's fact. A 50 point a year player with a $4.25M a year contract does not give you good value. That's logic.

Booth is a hard worker. He came from nowhere to be a 30 goal scorer. He's got groovy hair, a good smile and drives a kick ass car. The fans love him. He is the heart of the franchise. He wants to be here. That's emotion.

I am not advocating that Booth be thrown out in a garbage trade. Every team has bad contracts and Booth's is not an albatross ... unless he gets another concussion. Then the contract goes from a somewhat-bad to Olesz-bad.

Old
01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Man i wish, but remember were the Florida Panthers.....

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Erick

Anyone think this trade makes room for McCabe to go to the Rangers? Call me overly optimistic, but I'm personally happy that this NYR-PHX trade went down for some reason. It makes me feel like the odds of McCabe being traded just got better.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Anyone think this trade makes room for McCabe to go to the Rangers? Call me overly optimistic, but I'm personally happy that this NYR-PHX trade went down for some reason. It makes me feel like the odds of McCabe being traded just got better.
Maybe, or maybe they just want Del Zotto and McDonagh both on the team.

Old
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
I just wonder why we didn't trade McCabe for this kid !

I know he is another Horton... But he would have become our most talented player right away, something we need !

I hope we get as good a return for our captain (and I hope Tallon breaks this team) as the Rangers got out of Roszival...

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I just wonder why we didn't trade McCabe for this kid !

I know he is another Horton... But he would have become our most talented player right away, something we need !

I hope we get as good a return for our captain (and I hope Tallon breaks this team) as the Rangers got out of Roszival...
Another lazy overpaid player is not what we need.

Old
01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
He has 16 points in 36 games. He was called a lazy player by Phx fans.

Glad we didn't go after him.
True. Wolski is not a game changer, nor would he make a difference on a team like this.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:53 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
If you project this season to 52 points for Booth, the last three years he's had 40-60-52. He's a 50 point a year player. That's fact. A 50 point a year player with a $4.25M a year contract does not give you good value. That's logic.

Booth is a hard worker. He came from nowhere to be a 30 goal scorer. He's got groovy hair, a good smile and drives a kick ass car. The fans love him. He is the heart of the franchise. He wants to be here. That's emotion.

I am not advocating that Booth be thrown out in a garbage trade. Every team has bad contracts and Booth's is not an albatross ... unless he gets another concussion. Then the contract goes from a somewhat-bad to Olesz-bad.
He does have groovy hair. And a bad contract. But, man is he cool looking or what?

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ermeer/1/32776

Apparently the rangers are going after Vandermeer from Edm. Also, McCabe, Higgins, Stillman,Dvorak,Vokoun(anyone surprised?), are on Eklund's Top 50 Players To Watch Come Trade Deadline, with Vokoun and McCabe #7,#8 on the list (yes, Eklund...)

I don't know if this would be called a "rumor", so i posted it hear, IMO its not.
I think this backs the article in that the panthers will most likely get rid of several players. Thoughts, comments?

Last edited by HockeyRulez: 01-10-2011 at 09:23 PM.
HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post

This is essentially what i was gonna say, so i'm just gonna take full credit for this post.

Booth IS overpaid. There's really no other way to look at it. But everyone loves Booth, and to a certain extent, he puts people in the seats (sorta-ish). So in that sense, Tallon has to be OK with spending a little extra for a fan favorite. It happens on every team. It's pretty hard to avoid.

@Erick: If McCabe went to NY, i would love it. My roommate (ranger fan) loves watching McCabe botch plays and just look terrible on the ice. So if he went there, i would get to do it right back at him. But in all seriousness, if the Rangers are the real deal in terms of the playoffs, they need some veterans on the D cause right now they're oldest member on D is the 27yr old Eminger. *shudder*

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:34 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
NOOOOOO.

Maybe New Jersey. Not the Rangers. For the love of all things sacred.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Kaktus*

Any news on Vokoun? Is he on the table or Flroida is trying to sign him to a new contract?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:54 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
He does have groovy hair. And a bad contract. But, man is he cool looking or what?

You have to feel bad for poor Weiss.

For as long as they are teammates, he is doomed to play Jan Brady to Booth's Marcia.

Everyone loves Marcia.

Old
01-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Any news on Vokoun? Is he on the table or Flroida is trying to sign him to a new contract?
Tallon wants to re-sign him. The ball is in Vokoun's court.

Old
01-11-2011, 12:15 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

We need another superdraft, and with the expiring contracts we have I'd say we could very easily get enough picks and prospects to accelerate the process. Perhaps we could even use some of our cap space to absorb some shorter term bad contracts, for draft picks of course.

Allen, Wideman, and Weaver could be moved for the right price, otherwise they will be deadline fodder the next year.

Olesz and Reinprecht will be bought out in the summer I suspect, and I doubt anyone will want to take a chance on Booth or offer up what is required to get Weiss.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Tallon wants to re-sign him. The ball is in Vokoun's court.
It would be foolish IMO, we should take what we can get for him. We can always find a filler goalie for a year if Markstrom isn't ready.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote