HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What would you approve of Tambo doing at the next draft?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
  #26
oilers92
Registered User
 
oilers92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The thing we need to watch is Penner is a proven top 6 who can be a top line player at times. Landeskog while I like this kid a lot is not proven at all. If you are willing to give up Penner+ you better not be crying when Landeskog falls into a third line role or even worse, doesn't make the NHL.

I don't mind the risk of Penner for Landeskog, but that plus better not be huge.
yeh i know i meant something like cogs/brule/or weaker prospect(chorney) nothing to major

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:50 PM
  #27
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
Our pick take Larsson (#2)

I'd do Penner for Landeskog (#4-5)

Gilbert for 15th-16th over all if Musil is available.
Latest ratings have Landeskog #1 and Musil probably falling to the second round. This is going to be a tricky draft, looks like it's much harder to pick out who the real talents are and in a normal year it's pretty damn tough. I wouldnt worry as much about getting super high picks this year as trying to get multiple. I'm thinking you might do better if you had 3 shots in the 20-60 range than if you had 2 in the 10-25.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
  #28
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
Our pick take Larsson (#2)

I'd do Penner for Landeskog (#4-5)

Gilbert for 15th-16th over all if Musil is available.
I really don't think Gilbert is towing around that kind of value. If he was making under 3M we'd surely be able to move him.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
  #29
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch32 View Post
I really don't want this team to end up like the Islanders. I think that we have enough youth and with us drafting high again this year, along with Lander, Hamilton, Pitlick and Roy coming, we have a lot of youth. Trading Hemsky or Penner for more picks would be a mistake in my mind. I'd like to see Hemsky get traded for either a dman or center and then use our 1st to draft which position we didn't get for Hemsky. At the draft If it is a Center its Couturier for me, RNH is too small, we need a big centerman, if its a defensman then we should take Larsson
The way I see it is until I see Penner resigned, I want to see him moved. He didn't seem overly excited to come to Edmonton in the first place and he's going UFA after next season is over, so I say trade him.

As for Hemsky, he's an injury bug. 1 major injury away from me putting him into the Gaborik category. He's gold when he plays, but what happens when he's hurt when we need him the most?

I agree with RNH. I don't want to draft a bunch of midgets. Size has been a problem for the Oilers for far too long. I like what Tambo did at the last draft. The majority of the guys he drafted have more than enough size to withstand the NHL.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
  #30
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,283
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I really don't think Gilbert is towing around that kind of value. If he was making under 3M we'd surely be able to move him.
I agree with your there, but I wonder, given the current state of the NYR's cap, if you could flip him there.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
  #31
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Unless it's top 5 and/or a slew of picks, no thanks.

I don't see why giving up on a proven player with tons of seasons and doesn't seem know what the IR is compared with the rest of the roster for a bunch of maybes makes any sense. Unless you are certain he has no interest in the long term of the team.
I'm willing to compromise and say top 10. Do you think he has interest in being an Oiler for the rest of his career? I can't see us getting a top 5 for him. For Hemsky, I could see us landing 4th or 5th if the team in possession of the pick needs a Hemsky type player.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
  #32
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Lol. I guess it is going to take Penner+ to get Landeskog now.
Yeah. I originally wrote this minutes before it was announced that Landeskog was the #1 rated North American skater.

That doesn't worry me, though. We'll most likely end up with the #2 pick. Hopefully Tambolini's magic will come through at the next draft and he'll be able to make a slick move to grab another top 5 guy.

Assuming Jersey drafts #1, there's no way they don't take Larsson, IMO.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:37 AM
  #33
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Latest ratings have Landeskog #1 and Musil probably falling to the second round. This is going to be a tricky draft, looks like it's much harder to pick out who the real talents are and in a normal year it's pretty damn tough. I wouldnt worry as much about getting super high picks this year as trying to get multiple. I'm thinking you might do better if you had 3 shots in the 20-60 range than if you had 2 in the 10-25.
You really never know what's going to happen. At the last draft tons of guys were drafted way early or late compared to their ranking. A lot of general managers seemed to ignore the ranking system to some extent and just choose players they felt had the best potential to meet their long term needs.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:41 AM
  #34
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I agree with your there, but I wonder, given the current state of the NYR's cap, if you could flip him there.
You mean convincing Drury to waive his NTC to play out his final season of his contract with the Oilers?

We go the next season with Horcoff, Gagner, Drury and Omarra for centers regardless of who we draft, and pick up a minor prospect and maybe a 2nd rounder off of the Rangers, as well.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
  #35
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
I wouldn't do that, both Pitlick and Hamilton are coming along nicely so far and Penner is our only top 6 forward with size, in fact I'd resign Penner to a 4 year 4.5 mil contract.
me too! i'm not ready to give up on Pitlick or Hamilton, two of our top prospects, before we even know what they can do. re-sign Penner? why not!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:53 AM
  #36
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,283
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
You mean convincing Drury to waive his NTC to play out his final season of his contract with the Oilers?

We go the next season with Horcoff, Gagner, Drury and Omarra for centers regardless of who we draft, and pick up a minor prospect and maybe a 2nd rounder off of the Rangers, as well.
That, but I mean they have enough cap space anyways with the injuries and after flipping Roszival, but that would be the ideal. I mean, they could definitely use Gilbert, given the current state of their blueline.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:02 AM
  #37
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes
 
TheBusDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
Our pick take Larsson (#2)

I'd do Penner for Landeskog (#4-5)

Gilbert for 15th-16th over all if Musil is available.
Id take Landeskog 2nd if he wasnt taken first. I think Larsson will slide a little, to 4th or 5th.

Draft Landeskog and trade Penner+ for Larsson.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:09 AM
  #38
HallOfGreatness4
Registered User
 
HallOfGreatness4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Would it be possible to take our pick and a guy like Hemsky or Penner to trade up and get the #1 overall in the draft for the second year in a row? I think if they can get to 1 there's definitely going to be a guy who Stu feels better about than all the rest. There will be a consensus #1 overall by draft time who can really help us. A blue chip franchise type player to pair with Hall and Ebs.

HallOfGreatness4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:15 AM
  #39
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That, but I mean they have enough cap space anyways with the injuries and after flipping Roszival, but that would be the ideal. I mean, they could definitely use Gilbert, given the current state of their blueline.
Even if the cap space they've created(1.2M), they're in a tough spot.

As things stand now, they'll have 16.2M to resign restricted free agents:

Matt Gilroy - Won't get a huge raise. Maybe 2M per year, which would mean and extra 1/4 of a million against the cap.

Brian Boyle - Huge punishing mammoth of a man is on pace for 20+ goals and 200+ hits. He's also a +9. Making league minimum now. There's at least another 1.5M of cap space gone.

Artem Anisimov - Having a productive year. Has a shot at doubling last year's point production. There goes another few mill in cap space. If Rangers don't pony up the $$$, I could see someone throwing an offer sheet at him.

Brandon Dubinsky - At 24 years old he's their second or third best forward when Gaborik is healthy. He's making 1.8M this year. If the Rangers want to lock him up long term, I bet it's gonna cost over 4M per year. 3 more mill of cap space shaved off.

Ryan Callahan - Like Dubinsky, he's having a career year in terms of point production. Loves to get his nose dirty and can play in all situations. He'll probably command similar dollars to Dubinsky. There goes another 2M in cap space.

So let's say resigning these guys eats up of a total of 9M in cap space.

That leaves the team with 7.2M in cap space. They need a top 6 forward, a checking line forward and a few top 4 d-men IMO. A Gilbert for Drury type deal would create 3 million additional space, which would go a long way IMO.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:18 AM
  #40
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Id take Landeskog 2nd if he wasnt taken first. I think Larsson will slide a little, to 4th or 5th.

Draft Landeskog and trade Penner+ for Larsson.
The problem is the majority of the bottom 10 teams in the league need a 1st pairing offensive d-man like Ben Afleck needs acting lessons... and man is he ever a horrible actor.

So if Larsson is available, the teams drafting after us aren't going to make that kind of trade.

Ottawa might make such a deal if they don't want to go into full blown rebuild mode, but the rest of the teams looking to get a top 5 pick are gonna trade Larsson unless you overpay to get him IMO.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
  #41
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,283
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Even if the cap space they've created(1.2M), they're in a tough spot.

As things stand now, they'll have 16.2M to resign restricted free agents:

Matt Gilroy - Won't get a huge raise. Maybe 2M per year, which would mean and extra 1/4 of a million against the cap.

Brian Boyle - Huge punishing mammoth of a man is on pace for 20+ goals and 200+ hits. He's also a +9. Making league minimum now. There's at least another 1.5M of cap space gone.

Artem Anisimov - Having a productive year. Has a shot at doubling last year's point production. There goes another few mill in cap space. If Rangers don't pony up the $$$, I could see someone throwing an offer sheet at him.

Brandon Dubinsky - At 24 years old he's their second or third best forward when Gaborik is healthy. He's making 1.8M this year. If the Rangers want to lock him up long term, I bet it's gonna cost over 4M per year. 3 more mill of cap space shaved off.

Ryan Callahan - Like Dubinsky, he's having a career year in terms of point production. Loves to get his nose dirty and can play in all situations. He'll probably command similar dollars to Dubinsky. There goes another 2M in cap space.

So let's say resigning these guys eats up of a total of 9M in cap space.

That leaves the team with 7.2M in cap space. They need a top 6 forward, a checking line forward and a few top 4 d-men IMO. A Gilbert for Drury type deal would create 3 million additional space, which would go a long way IMO.
They are done with Gilroy, they haven't been happy with him at all.

If you see the deal I put in the universal proposal thread, it makes sense for the Rangers and the Oil, I think.

As for the increase in cap usage, Anisimov won't get too much of a raise, Callahan's should be reasonable, but Dubinsky should get a pretty good deal after this year.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
  #42
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
Would it be possible to take our pick and a guy like Hemsky or Penner to trade up and get the #1 overall in the draft for the second year in a row? I think if they can get to 1 there's definitely going to be a guy who Stu feels better about than all the rest. There will be a consensus #1 overall by draft time who can really help us. A blue chip franchise type player to pair with Hall and Ebs.
Drafting 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall we're going to get something we'll be able to cherish for years. Whether it's a first pairing d-man, a 1st line center or a 1st line power forward RW.

Using Hemsky or Penner to move up from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st just doesn't make sense in my mind. We'd get more bang for our buck using them to get another guy with top line potential who can make a difference 2-3 years after he's drafted.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:23 AM
  #43
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,412
vCash: 139
-I'd like to see Larsson picked up if he's available with our 1st round pick
-Avoid trading Penner & Hemsky before the trade deadline (unless there's a great deal to be had)
-Dangle Penner/Hemsky at draft day if players of interest are available throughout the first round

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:23 AM
  #44
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
They are done with Gilroy, they haven't been happy with him at all.

If you see the deal I put in the universal proposal thread, it makes sense for the Rangers and the Oil, I think.

As for the increase in cap usage, Anisimov won't get too much of a raise, Callahan's should be reasonable, but Dubinsky should get a pretty good deal after this year.
Off topic comment regarding your avatar: Do you still play FF3?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:25 AM
  #45
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,283
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Off topic comment regarding your avatar: Do you still play FF3?
Lol, I do on occasion, I have a working Super NES, so I play the original in all it's glory from time to time, but my only problem with it is once you get high level magic, the individual characters don't matter.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:26 AM
  #46
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
-I'd like to see Larsson picked up if he's available with our 1st round pick
-Avoid trading Penner & Hemsky before the trade deadline (unless there's a great deal to be had)
-Dangle Penner/Hemsky at draft day if players of interest are available throughout the first round
You're right. Would be stupid to trade Hemsky or Penner right before the trade deadline to a team hoping it's the difference maker that gets them into the playoffs... then that 1st rounder we've acquired is worth much less.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:34 AM
  #47
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Lol, I do on occasion, I have a working Super NES, so I play the original in all it's glory from time to time, but my only problem with it is once you get high level magic, the individual characters don't matter.
Screw using magic. LOL

A: Use Realm's sketch on the crawler till the game glitches so that you get 99X offering
B: LVL players up individually so that they can have max magic def, physical def and strength
C: Pound any boss in the game into little itty bitty bite sized pieces in less time than it takes for the battle sequence to begin.

I haven't played it for years... but I've obviously played too much.

Have you ever tried using imps through the whole game? There's a challenge!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
  #48
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
And as for your proposal... I can't see it there, man.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
  #49
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,283
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Screw using magic. LOL

A: Use Realm's sketch on the crawler till the game glitches so that you get 99X offering
B: LVL players up individually so that they can have max magic def, physical def and strength
C: Pound any boss in the game into little itty bitty bite sized pieces in less time than it takes for the battle sequence to begin.

I haven't played it for years... but I've obviously played too much.

Have you ever tried using imps through the whole game? There's a challenge!
I haven't but I might have to. And yes the glitches are the most hilarious thing ever, I still remember getting 99 snow mufflers and other ****ed things, and all I could was sit there in amazement the first time I ever did it.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
  #50
smokes lets go
Registered User
 
smokes lets go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
Our pick take Larsson (#2)

I'd do Penner for Landeskog (#4-5)

Gilbert for 15th-16th over all if Musil is available.
Penner is not going to get you a top 5 pick, not even close, and Gilbert is not going to get you a first round pick, especially with his contract

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.