HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers try Hall at Centre

Old
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
if it works, we have Hall, Gagner, Horc, and Lander down the middle in the next few years. That is pretty good.
I like Pitlick too

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski44 View Post
I'm not crazy about Hall at center because in my mind his game is better on the wing, but I think it's great that they're trying it. I agree with most sentiments in this thread that now is the time to experiment and if it pays off it could be a brilliant move.

Can't wait to see what kind of results it brings.
A few posters have said that Hall is better on the wing, but we haven't even seen him at center yet. Maybe he's just as effective, if not better, at center. We'll see I guess

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
surshot*

vCash: 500
Much rather see Penner helping Hall at Faceoffs then Cogliano. Gagner back with Paajarvi is way over due.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
SDig14

I think Hall's speed will be effective no matter what position he ends up playing long-term...it's not like guys like you see guys like Crosby, Malkin, and Stamkos stay in the middle of the ice off the rush...all of those guys use their speed to go wide and they use it up the middle when they pass off to wingers

Basically all of those guys are given the freedom to do whatever they want off the rush as long as they are responsible coming back, so I think Hall will be fine in that sense

I am more interested in how he does on the dot, defending the cycle in our own zone, and how he does on the breakout

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:25 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I like Pitlick too
He is already RW in the Junior. I don't think he will be a center in the NHL.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
IV XIV XCI

If this works then it 100% annihilates the Seguin debate.

I like Seguin too and I hope he has a good career but if Hall can make Centre work (which, if it does happen, will take YEARS of adjustment) then that draft year's tyler vs taylor debate will become retrospectively moot.

I hope/think Taylor can make this transition happen but I doubt it'll be as smooth as people think. I'm pretty sure we'll see him back at wing and then back at center a few more times this year.

Let him adjust to the new role slowly

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

It is about time now all the ones in here saying he is more comfortable on the wing will se he will be more suited in the middle , hope he lights it up there first game so he becomes a permament fixture at center

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
HermanMunster
Set it and forget it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
A few posters have said that Hall is better on the wing, but we haven't even seen him at center yet. Maybe he's just as effective, if not better, at center. We'll see I guess
I don't know why I feel like he's better on wing, but there's something about his playing style that, to me, seems like it would work better on the wing than at center. That being said, he's a determined kid and I'm sure he'll do fine at center. He said on his draft day that he was a center until Windsor moved him to the wing because they were so deep up the middle.

HermanMunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
IV XIV XCI

also, you have to love the benefits and challenges that will come with playing C with 83 and 27

He's going to get plenty of chances to generate scoring but he'll have to contend with the other team's top line as well.

I guess he's been doing that for the most part of this season so far anyway

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:34 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
You could be right and you could be very wrong. You should realize that when in a Hall being tried at center thread when he himself played the wing in junior.

Old
01-10-2011, 04:38 PM
No Good Names Left

If Hall does work out at center, what do you guys think of trading Gagner for a Dman? I am just not a fan of his size

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
pitlick is a natural centre, he was drafted by the oilers because of that and has switched in between rw to c all year, mainly because it fits with his teams roster...

unless they draft corturier and suddenly have a logjam at centre next year i doubt he plays anywhere but the middle for the oilers

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Da McBomb

I'm curious how long they will experiment with Hall at Centre.. a few games? for the remainder of the season? Until Horcoff comes back?

Hall has played about half the season on the LW now (40 games), it would be good if he could play the remainder of the season as Centre and then you can compare each half season and see how he does.

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
If Hall does work out at center, what do you guys think of trading Gagner for a Dman? I am just not a fan of his size
depenmds on who draft this year, if we get larson prob no need... if we got corturier or nug-hopkins then yes

Old
01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
The simple answer is no. The Oilers are always going to have small players just like every team in the NHL. His play has been good so to trade guys just because they are not big is not a good way to go about things. Plus he is better then every small guy on the team and is in reality part of the new core. He is just not going any where period.

Old
01-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Love it and I will say if it works you will hear me quiet down about trading Hemsky...somewhat

I think it will work. Look I know this kid is dominant on the wing but I really believe he can be a top 5 center in this league. He is an underrated playmaker, and honestly other than taking draws he plays like a center anyways in the way he covers the ice. I really think this will translate. And if it does, it would allow us to do a lot more things in the draft, although I definitly still wouldn't rule out taking a center no matter how well he works out.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

I really, really like this idea. At this point we have nothing really to lose, and if it works in our favor it's fantastic.

Yes, we have Pitlick coming up, but it won't hurt to give this a try. Even if it doesn't work out, Hall will still benefit from the experience much like Penner has benefitted from taking the odd faceoff IMO.

If this experiment is successful however...

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I'm curious how long they will experiment with Hall at Centre.. a few games? for the remainder of the season? Until Horcoff comes back?

Hall has played about half the season on the LW now (40 games), it would be good if he could play the remainder of the season as Centre and then you can compare each half season and see how he does.
i think it will be at least till horcoff comes back and i think at that point they will either let him finish the year there or move him back, hopefully with the idea of possibly giving him another chance there before the season ends

5-10games now to see if its got potential, if so they either leave him there or plan to let him play the last 15-20 games of the season there (ie after trade deadline)... just a guess of how it will play out

Old
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Jmask83

Great to see.

On another note the Cogs bashing needs to stop. He isn't lighting it up but he's a damn important part of the team. The work he's done on the PK the last couple of months is admirable. Give the kid time, god knows we have plenty of it.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:54 PM
OntOilFan

We should try him in net, on D, and behind the bench too.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Messier v2.0

Here's hoping.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Da McBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Messier v2.0

Here's hoping.
@NHLbyMatty
Jim Matheson
Oilers had taylor hall at centre in practice with hemsky and penner on wings. Messier revisited from early oil days. He started on LW

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:09 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
@NHLbyMatty
Jim Matheson
Oilers had taylor hall at centre in practice with hemsky and penner on wings. Messier revisited from early oil days. He started on LW
Yeah, that's what made me think about the comparison. Plus they were/are power type players, or atleast to the extent they could be given their age and size as rookies. As Messier got older and bulked up he became more of a physical threat, and I'm hoping the same for Hall.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
Great to see.

On another note the Cogs bashing needs to stop. He isn't lighting it up but he's a damn important part of the team. The work he's done on the PK the last couple of months is admirable. Give the kid time, god knows we have plenty of it.
Cog bashing will stop when he produces, he was drafted as a offensive player and even though he is ok with his defensive part of the game we could fing 100 other players who could be as comptent on defense and bring more grit

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:19 PM
mindmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
from Oilers Twitter:

Bout time, I say. Worth a shot, at this point of the season, when there is literally nothing to lose.
This is the most top heavy lineup they've ran since Horcoff has been out. I have no problem with it, since I'm a strong believer in the idea that every goal is breaking a threshold, and stacking players on a line helps reach it more easily.

The idea is that every player needs to make one or two good/great touches on the puck to score most of the goals, and the percentage of good players doing that in sequence is better with stacked lines. If that makes sense to anyone

mindmasher is offline   Reply With Quote