HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Michal Rozsival to PHX for Wojtek Wolski

Old
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Frolov is just really bad. He excelled at nothing. He fell down every 5 seconds on the ice. He is not in Wolski's league. Wolski won us some games when Gaborik was hurt and scored some key shootout goals. Frolov did zero for this club.

One of the knocks on Wolski was that he was soft, but I haven't seen that while he has been here. He bangs in the corners every time there is a chance to. I'm not sure what games you are watching... to be honest. I was quite impressed how he didn't live up to that billing.

Rozy was a decent players for us, but had no value with the emergence of McD and Sauer. The trade for Wolski was a killing by Sather, even given WW slightly bloated cap hit.

Though you can see that WW has hit a dry spell, don't overlook how bad Zuc has been the last couple weeks. I feel that both WW and Zuc have been a drain to Stepan's production as of late.

I was the first to bask Zucc the first game i saw him and i admit it was premature and stupid, i had bet on the team and was venting. To say Zucc has held up Wolski in any way is crazy. I see what Zucc brings on the ice, at half the size of 6'3 Wolski hes much more physical and wins puck battles and engages in battles much more frequently.

I would take Frolov on my team right now over Wolski 10 times out of 10 and i dont care if people disagree. There is more than just points, not that Wolski has put up that many. I already mentioned what Fro brings and who knows if his point production would have increased. Wolski banging, hes a Spezza wannabe.

I wouldint say Rozi has no value with the way Mccabe has been looking lately. Sure hes got a shot on the PP, but Rozi is a better D man than Mccabe.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
I'm happy with how the trade has turned out, but I wouldn't be if McDonagh hadn't stepped right in and exceeded even optimistic expectations for a rookie defender.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Pizza

I just don't notice Wolski much.

Zucc is the guy on that line who's been most visible the last half dozen games or so. Stepan can be excused because of his lack of experience. Wolski should be more of a presence out there IMO. It will be interesting to see how he responds the rest of the way. Out side of a few moments, I'm not very impressed so far.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Wolski's cap hit sucks as well if he is going to continue to bring 30 points a year pace with no defense or physicality.

He hasn't been a hell of a lot better for us than Enver Lisin was last year. Frolov was much better because he played a good puck possession game, and kept the pill away from the opponent for long stretches of time.

Only thing Wolsiki has brought us so far is 3 good games and shootout goals. Christensen has been much better, even at those things.
im may be an anti- rozy guy but to say that w2 is a 30 point a year player is simply untrue. 16 points in 29 games is roughly a 50 point season.

and to say frolov was better. again, not true. frolov was brutal.

as much as i wanted lisin to work out, w2 is a much better hockey player and so that comparison is just stupid.

i may be an agenda poster when it comes to blowzsy but this was not one of your best posts and in fact, it was pretty weak.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:45 PM
beef 4 lunch

I really haven't missed Rosy's play. I think our D is just fine without him. He was an good player for us.

Wolski, I have no opinion on whatsoever. I don't even really notice him in a good or bad way. Still haven figured out what he brings that is unique. I've never seen him dominate a game, like mentioned earlier. Maybe I was expecting more from him.... hopefully he settles in and shows more down the stretch.

but I'd make the trade again

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
OverTheCap

Wolski... meh.

Not happy that: (a) his lackluster play warranted a healthy scratch; (b) he is still playing the same way he did before he was scratched; and (c) he is more or less a nonfactor if he isn't putting up points or scoring in the shootout.

Wolski came exactly as advertised, inconsistent and still a work in progress.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
94now

1.Wolski is not as undersized as Cali, but he is not big enough compare to Frolov. Only huge players can be truly physical, Callahan is a rare exception.
2.Wolski can play top 6, no question. Those who currently play 1LW and 2LW are also both disgruntled centres - Dubi and Prospal. While Dubi is a better package with respect to size and hitting, the hands and skating are equal. Prospal is nothing special at this point of his career. He is an old buddy of the coach and he speaks same language as Gaborik both literally and on ice. Once Prospal is gone this summer, WW is going to play 2LW for us. Who else, if not him? Avery?
3. Once WW gets a better C (or Stepan gets better), so will be his production.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:04 PM
John Torturella

Cant complain about the trade because we dumped salary, dumped Rozsival, got a guy who has gotten us a few points with shootout abilities who is young, with potential and it cleared a space for McDonagh, who has been 100X the player Rozsival has been the last few seasons.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Called this trade a mistake from the beginning...

WOuld be awfully nice to have Rozy playing back there rather than the likes of Gilroy or Eminger. Although I can actually take Eminger.
I'm not going to argue about Gilroy because I can't stand him. But if the best a $20 million defenseman can do is barely beat out your worst player that doesn't say much for him. Rosival's offensive skill disappeared when he signed his last contract and never reappeared.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:02 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
1.Wolski is not as undersized as Cali, but he is not big enough compare to Frolov. Only huge players can be truly physical, Callahan is a rare exception.
2.Wolski can play top 6, no question. Those who currently play 1LW and 2LW are also both disgruntled centres - Dubi and Prospal. While Dubi is a better package with respect to size and hitting, the hands and skating are equal. Prospal is nothing special at this point of his career. He is an old buddy of the coach and he speaks same language as Gaborik both literally and on ice. Once Prospal is gone this summer, WW is going to play 2LW for us. Who else, if not him? Avery?
3. Once WW gets a better C (or Stepan gets better), so will be his production.
Wow are people drinking some crazy water in NY. A better Center? Are u trying to tell me Stepan is in some way holding back Wolski. Totally reversed man. Stepan has been trying hard to get W2 going and seems to like him. But there going to see that there is not much to get from W2. And o ya im excited that W2 will be our top 6 forward for years to come. Like that will ever happen. Hes already been a healthy scratch, coming after he scored in the shootout, what does that tell you. Torts isnt a fan of his game, nor is anybodey who gets it. If not for Avery taking stupid penalties W2 chance to play down the stretch would not even be possible. So that equates to you, lets find him a better center because he such a star lol.

Old
03-22-2011, 02:06 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
im may be an anti- rozy guy but to say that w2 is a 30 point a year player is simply untrue. 16 points in 29 games is roughly a 50 point season.

and to say frolov was better. again, not true. frolov was brutal.

as much as i wanted lisin to work out, w2 is a much better hockey player and so that comparison is just stupid.

i may be an agenda poster when it comes to blowzsy but this was not one of your best posts and in fact, it was pretty weak.
This is were ppl need to get a clue. Fro was not at the top of his game. But he brought a presence that created space on the ice and created chances when he was on the ice. You forget (imo), when stating Fro is much worse than W2 because u can ask any manager in the league who they would take next year at the same sallary, i bet 9/10 would say Fro.

Old
03-22-2011, 02:08 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
I'm happy with how the trade has turned out, but I wouldn't be if McDonagh hadn't stepped right in and exceeded even optimistic expectations for a rookie defender.
Definitely.

I initially disapproved of the trade because I wasn't sure if anyone else would be able to step up and fill those minutes but McD has made the trade look that much better.

As far as Wolski, he's actually a much different player than I expected. I don't think he's nearly as "soft" as people made him out to be and he hasn't been a defensive liability either. That being said, I also haven't seen the type of offensive talent that he supposedly has. He makes some nice plays here and there but overall he doesn't seem very confident with the puck right now, especially in the neutral zone.

He's been huge in the shootout though and that can't be ignored.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
This is were ppl need to get a clue. Fro was not at the top of his game. But he brought a presence that created space on the ice and created chances when he was on the ice. You forget (imo), when stating Fro is much worse than W2 because u can ask any manager in the league who they would take next year at the same sallary, i bet 9/10 would say Fro.
you cannot be serious.

frolov was available to anyone last summer. he signed with the rangers for 1 year rather than go to the khl. no other NHL team had interest in him. not one. none. zero.

now you are saying 9/10 gms would take frolov at k2's salary

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Jersey Girl

Wolski is like Peter Nedved lite...VERY lite!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Captain Monglobster

How many shots has he taken? I never see him shoot the puck, and rarely see him beat a D-man 1v1. He is the polar opposite in the shootout - deadly shot, great hands. I don't get it.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
How many shots has he taken? I never see him shoot the puck, and rarely see him beat a D-man 1v1. He is the polar opposite in the shootout - deadly shot, great hands. I don't get it.
Yeah, that's one thing I don't understand and I like W2. When he's not dekeing in the shootout he's letting loose a nasty shot, but in game situations he rarely tries either.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:52 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you cannot be serious.

frolov was available to anyone last summer. he signed with the rangers for 1 year rather than go to the khl. no other NHL team had interest in him. not one. none. zero.

now you are saying 9/10 gms would take frolov at k2's salary
Evidence would be nice. Its possible teams did not want him for the sallary he was asking but the Rangers signed him so you cant really say no other team wanted him. What im saying is i would take Fro over W2 at the equal sallaries i would take Fro for mill more than Wolski who is overpaid big time, and will have to take a big pay cut anyway. Will see how many teams want this guy after his contract is up.

Old
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Evidence would be nice. Its possible teams did not want him for the sallary he was asking but the Rangers signed him so you cant really say no other team wanted him. What im saying is i would take Fro over W2 at the equal sallaries i would take Fro for mill more than Wolski who is overpaid big time, and will have to take a big pay cut anyway. Will see how many teams want this guy after his contract is up.
Discounting his opinion for "lack of evidence" is funny considering the lack of "evidence" to support your own argument.

I suggest you start a poll on this topic of Frolov vs. Wolski, but I'll tell you right now, I too agree with offdacrossbar, and definitely prefer Wolski over Frolov, even with Wolski having a 700k higher cap hit.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Wolski is like Peter Nedved lite...VERY lite!
There does seem to be an abundance of talented European scorers that never come close to reaching their potential. And Nedved is definitely in that group. I certainly wouldn't be heaping praise on him.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Discounting his opinion for "lack of evidence" is funny considering the lack of "evidence" to support your own argument.

I suggest you start a poll on this topic of Frolov vs. Wolski, but I'll tell you right now, I too agree with offdacrossbar, and definitely prefer Wolski over Frolov, even with Wolski having a 700k higher cap hit.
We're not comparing apples to apples here. Whether you like Wolski or not, taking him (and his salary) on was a necessary evil to get out from under the Rozsival contract. Frolov was just another bad free agent signing by a GM who needs to be given the month of July off so he can stop creating messes for himself to clean up.

Old
03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Levitate

Frolov was a pretty good signing...they got a guy relatively cheap who had a good scoring history and signed only for one year. He just didn't work out. It's hardly a signing that a reasonable person would blast Sather for.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Barnaby

I'm not overly impressed with Wolski, but we dumped some salary and he's younger so it was a good move. With that said, if someone was interested in him during the off season, then he's gone. I could see Kreider taking his spot next to Stepan next year.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Frolov was a pretty good signing...they got a guy relatively cheap who had a good scoring history and signed only for one year. He just didn't work out. It's hardly a signing that a reasonable person would blast Sather for.
Disagree. People were skeptical, and were proven correct. Frolov brought nothing to the table.

Old
03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Disagree. People were skeptical, and were proven correct. Frolov brought nothing to the table.
I thought he brought plenty to the table at a one-year, $3 million cap hit. He certainly wasn't a floater and he was very strong along the boards. I know we love to hate on him for obvious reasons, but it was a no-risk move that didn't pan out.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I thought he brought plenty to the table at a one-year, $3 million cap hit. He certainly wasn't a floater and he was very strong along the boards. I know we love to hate on him for obvious reasons, but it was a no-risk move that didn't pan out.
Yeah, this. He didn't pan out and that doesn't make it a good signing, but it's not really a bad signing either. He didn't really hurt the team with his play or with his salary, and it's not like he's signed for the next 4 years and Sather will have to find a way to dump his salary.

It was a smart signing...take a chance on a guy who could help your team and you get him for cheap, make no long term commitment. If he helps the team, then great, and if not, then you part ways.

Frolov type signings are the ones that people should be wanting Sather to aim for, IMO. No long term commitment, some upside but not relying on that player to carry the team, no harm done if things don't work out.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote