HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers trade Michal Rozsival to PHX for Wojtek Wolski

Old
01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
McDonagh will get a shot now to stick. He played well against St. Louis. Very small sample size. But the rangers can judge how does the next couple of weeks. They can always add a defensemen at the deadline if he struggles.

Our youth is the reason why we are playing well. I dont see being young on the blueline as a bad thing.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I think the concerns over Wolski not showing up should be abated by the fact that Torts will impale his ass if he doesn't get out there and hustle like the rest of the team.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThisYearsModel

Sather has another reclamation project......if you can call a 24 YO that. He has added skill and a player who is fast enough to play in Torts system. If Wolski becomes responsive to Torts, this could be a valuable player.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Sounds like Nik Zherdev 2.0.
Unfortunately that's the trade this reminds me of.

Though, at this point Rozsival doesn't have much potential to miss out on.

I guess it's worth a shot that he can turn it around?

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SERE 24
LGR

WOW

What a trade. What. A. Trade.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Well, this is a leap of faith by Rangers management, manifested by the play of Eminger, Sauer, and to a lesser extent Gilroy and McDonagh.
Yeah, and the more I think about it the more I like the move.

This could be very good for the organization if it works out, and worst case scenario I'm not too worried right now, but more for the playoff push with these younger guys. I have full faith in Staal and Girardi to have a great veteran presence, and I think Eminger too may step up his role. I'm really not to worried, so i'm going to call this a medium risk/high reward move.

I underestimated how big Wolski is- he's an inch shorter than Ani and 15~ points heavier. A lot of this depends on how Torts handles and shapes Wolski IMO, and if he does it good Wolski can be potent.

He DOES float, though. I don't think we'll see him with Gaborik because two floaters on one line would drive Torts nuts. Sign me up for Dubinsky-Step-Gaborik and Wolski-Ani-MZA, though. Can't wait to see him play.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Gotta pick up a veteran D man.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
silverfish
Mr. Glass

What this trade really says is how much the Rangers seem to trust the young guys on the back end.

Hopefully the increase in minutes doesn't see Eminger's or Sauer's play take a hit.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Wolski has taken entire nights off in Phoenix this year. He has the talent to be a lot more, but right now, he's a 20g/30a type player (basically what was expected of Frolov).
He has never hit those marks in the same season.

Anyway, if he became a consistent 20G/30A guy, that would be very big for us.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

wyshynski Greg Wyshynski
Sather said interest in Wolski predates Frolov injury. #rangers

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Sather: It happened fairly quickly.

Old
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Seems as if this trade makes it more of a possibility that Drury is bought out this summer.
I definitely agree...I assumed Rozy would survive this year, be here for the playoff push and be dealt at the draft. Now we are going to need to make room to re-sign
Sauer
Eminger
Dubinsky
Callahan
Boyle
Anisimov
possibly Fedotenko
possibly Gilroy

Drury's buyout creates what 3-4 million in cap space we desperately need.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Is the conference call gona be on the website or on tv? I'd like to listen to what glen has to say.
Yeah, whats the deal on this.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Gotta pick up a veteran D man.
Kuba. Seems like Ottawa is intent on moving him now.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Sather has another reclamation project......if you can call a 24 YO that. He has added skill and a player who is fast enough to play in Torts system. If Wolski becomes responsive to Torts, this could be a valuable player.
Right. It appears Wolski has the tools to be a decent player in the NHL. Hopefully he comes here with 110% effort and a desire to succeed. With this being his 3rd or 4th team in only a few years I'd have to think he knows it's put up or shut up.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

capgeek CapGeek
After Wolski-Rozsival swap/Newbury recall, #nhl #nyrangers can add cap hit(s) of ~$4.8m today and ~$10.3m at deadline http://capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?...nch=2011-02-27

Old
01-10-2011, 04:21 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm not overly excited about this. Wolski makes at least a million more than he should. Maybe the cap hit is less than Roszival's, but that's $3.8 mil allocated to a forward that should probably make about 2 mil a year. It's not like Sather just pulled another rabbit out of the hat.

Cool to get Roszival's contract out of here, cool to see that the organization thinks that highly of Gilroy, McDonagh, MDZ and perhaps Valentenko as well...but Wolski isn't an all-star by any means.

I'm also concerned how Wolski will work under Torts. It could go great, but he could end up in the doghouse pretty quickly.
He ended up in Tippet's pretty quick so he is really going to have to impress Torts to stay in here. He has the talent but he needs the mentality.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I'm not sure this trade is as good as some of you are making it out to be.

nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Time will show. Torts will tell.
We gave up a better player for younger and promicing one that cost less.
Good luck Rozy. Thanks for good years.
Perfect synopsis. Rozsival was first defensive pairing in 2006 and 2007 teams. Solid more than not while here. Caught way too much flak here. This is a deal I make though if I am Sather, and glad he pulled the trigger.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Not quite. He is a little bit of a floater but so is Gaborik. He also goes to the goal and uses his size well in the offensive zone. Something Zherdev never did, he was more of a perimeter player.

Tippet didnt like him because he wasn't a defensive stalwart so he was moved. I think he fits in well on the Rangers with so many 2-way forwards already established here. Plus the fact that at 24, he is the same age as a lot of the team.
Here is my beef. I'm a Wolski fan, but you guys got a better (<- not by much) version of Frolov.

Wolski IS a perimeter player. He has size, but never uses it. In the whole time he was in Colorado, only two months did he ever play to his potential and damn he was good. But consider that he was on the Avs for 3-5 years the rest was filled with terribly lazy plays and has no drive to work hard.

Definitely a good trade overall for you guys', but don't be shocked when he goes to the dog house because that's where he has been his whole career.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:22 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

HOLY **** i can't even express my joy right now this is great. I love wolskis game and skillset. Sathers a magician an absolute trade genius this past like 10 days couldn't have been better in rangerland YESSSS!

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:22 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I think Sauer can handle more minutes. Don't know who's going to pick up Rozsival's scoring - maybe Gilroy? I like the move. We get younger, get rid of another big contract, get talent up front (which we sorely needed even with Frolov, get more $space for the trade deadline and next year. Remember folks, we have to sign Callahan and Dubinsky after this season.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He has never hit those marks in the same season.

Anyway, if he became a consistent 20G/30A guy, that would be very big for us.
Yes he has. (23g/40a last year; and close w/ 22g/28a his 2nd year)

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm not overly excited about this. Wolski makes at least a million more than he should. Maybe the cap hit is less than Roszival's, but that's $3.8 mil allocated to a forward that should probably make about 2 mil a year.

Cool to get Roszival's contract out of here, cool to see that the organization thinks that highly of Gilroy, McDonagh, MDZ and perhaps Valentenko as well...but Wolski isn't an all-star by any means.

I'm also concerned how Wolski will work under Torts. It could go great, but he could end up in the doghouse pretty quickly.
Yeah im kinda confused, but then again ok with it, but then again meh, but then again excited?

The one thing about Rozy that i loved is that he showed up when the games counted. Granted - the boo birds would just not leave him alone (i wonder who will take he spot next now that both he, Redden and Frolov are out of the mix) - but you're losing a TON of minutes and a solid 2nd pairing defenseman for a forward that needs to find his game.

The Rangers must think very highly of Sauer and the rest of the young D. My concern is injuries and lack of depth back there. GOD FORBID one of Staal or Girardi goes down - and we all know Sauer is prone as well... you have to think a veteran is coming sooner or later. They need a decent guy back there who can play some minutes and be nasty around the net for the playoffs. Maybe Sather has an eye on someone and isnt far away from getting him. If thats the case fine.

As far as Wolski goes ... Intriguing player. With so many injuries the Rangers needed to inject some more skill back into the team. This might also suggest that they arent sure how long MZA will hold up in the NHL. Hopefully a while, but it could be a concern. With Christensen, Cally, Prospal and Frolov (and Boogaard but i dont like counting him) out they needed to supplement that with some young legs and hes got a pair. I'm not completely familiar with his game but i know hes had a down year. Capable of scoring but his reputation for a cavalier attitude will have to be rectified by Tortorella. Thats not the type of concept they are trying to build here. We'll see how he fits in I guess, Slats sure likes those comeback stories.

I'm on the fence with this deal tbh.

In the meantime - Thank you Rozy for a nice career in New York... you definitely had your ups and downs but you worked your ass off IMO and played through a lot of pain. Good luck in PHO.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
asparkoflife

maybe make a move for a Dman now?

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, and the more I think about it the more I like the move.

This could be very good for the organization if it works out, and worst case scenario I'm not too worried right now, but more for the playoff push with these younger guys. I have full faith in Staal and Girardi to have a great veteran presence, and I think Eminger too may step up his role. I'm really not to worried, so i'm going to call this a medium risk/high reward move.

I underestimated how big Wolski is- he's an inch shorter than Ani and 15~ points heavier. A lot of this depends on how Torts handles and shapes Wolski IMO, and if he does it good Wolski can be potent.

He DOES float, though. I don't think we'll see him with Gaborik because two floaters on one line would drive Torts nuts. Sign me up for Dubinsky-Step-Gaborik and Wolski-Ani-MZA, though. Can't wait to see him play.
I agree Wolski could drive Torts nuts, but playing him with Anisimov and Gaborik, two players who are pretty good in their own zone, especially artie should make the transition easier for Wolski.

One thing no one has mentioned is there are a bunch of teams looking to add top 6 talent, and is Wolski doesn't mesh here, he could easily be packaged with someone and be traded elsewhere before the deadline. we have seen it before with Dupuis, granted dupuis is nowhere near as talented as Wolski, but this gives Torts time to try him out and now is the time with cally, EC, and Prospal out.

Wolski-Anisimov-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
Avery-Drury-Newbury

I like the look of that for tomorrow

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote