HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/PHX] Rangers acquire Wolski from PHX for Rozsival

Old
01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1057
I'm a little confused why as to why so many are lauding this as a win for the Rangers. Wolski has now been thrown off of 2 teams for playing with zero heart. The tools are there, the desire is not. I could understand some guarded optimism that he'll find his game in New York, but unless something changes in Wolski the Rangers have simply replaced Frolov.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:54 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

vCash: 262
trade deadline will suck.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

vCash: 500
Has Wolski's value ever dropped...

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PBC9400

Most Rangers fans will love this trade just because the youth movement. Thats why you see everybody with the "OMG Sather Rules" ****... the kid is 24 years old and he has talent, like all these other young skilled wingers we've had recently (Zherdev, Frolov) just a problem with motivation... the biggest thing I think is aside from the age difference and the ability to help with what each team needs, I think the Rangers have a need for a kid like Wolski more than the 'Yotes need Roszival, the Rangers do save that cap hit of a little over a million this year and next. Could be pretty useful.

Wolski is a huge upgrade over Frolov I think. Frolov may be more reliable defensively, but he was not signed to be a Selke winner... He needed to score goals, which he was not doing. If Wolski clicks, this could be a huge trade for the Rangers and at best an even swap for Phoenix. Risk / Reward on this trade potentially is much better for the Rangers and even if Wolski does what Frolov did, we are not losing anything and we are getting younger, better and more experienced and developed on the backline.

I have not seen Wolski play much, I only know statistics for him. I'd imagine he is a better and faster skater than Frolov, no? IMO Frolov's lack of speed hurts him more then anything, he is very slow.

PBC9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:55 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Why does it have to be one or the other? This deal makes eminent sense for the Rangers. The Coyotes made out well too.
Contrary to popular (HFB) belief, Rozi was a huge part of our Blueline for years. He is a workhorse.

Some of us Ranger fans who didn't pick him as our whipping boy will miss him. As will our blueline.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ocarina

I really don't understand how this is a steal from the Rangers' perspective. Wolski has not played well this year, and any knowledgeable hockey fan will tell you that Rozy is actually a good second pairing guy.

From Phoenix's perspective, they just traded an underachieving winger for a top 4 d-man. While they may lose 1.2 mil in cap space, they actually gain 1 mil in actual money, as Rozy is being paid only 3 mil next year to Wolski's 4 mil.

For the Rangers, it makes sense in that we get the skilled winger that Tortorella has been asking for, but now there is a hole in our d-core. I would say either Eminger or Sauer are the #3 now behind Staal and Girardi, and as well as they have played this year, that doesn't make me feel too comfortable. To make it worse, what if Wolski doesn't work out?

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blue425

Rosie was over payed, there is no denying that.

There is also no denying he was pretty solid for the Rangers this year.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Scottrocks58*
Six

I don't know much at all about Rosizval, but Wolski has done a good impersonation of a pylon for us this season.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC9400 View Post
I have not seen Wolski play much, I only know statistics for him.
Get the Tylenol ready.

TwoPadStack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeduck View Post
This. He's like that really hot girl you somehow get a date with that turns out to have no personality, a really annoying voice, and who snores.
As long as she only snores when she's asleep I miss your point.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 653
Goes to show you how bad the value is around here.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Contrary to popular (HFB) belief, Rozi was a huge part of our Blueline for years. He is a workhorse.

Some of us Ranger fans who didn't pick him as our whipping boy will miss him. As will our blueline.
Agreed. I'm not saying I dislike the trade but Rozsival being dealt opens a big hole on the Ranger blueline. They need to find a vet dman who can log some minutes. They can't keep playing Staal and Girardi 31+ minutes. If they don't trust Gilroy and McDonaugh to play over 15 at this point, they need a vet. For that matter, how much more can they really expect from Sauer and Eminger?

David McConnor
Unregistered User

vCash: 1004
There had to be money under the table going from the Rangers to the Coyotes. Otherwise it makes no sense for Phoenix to deal a young 1st line talent (albeit one who's struggling this season) for a 30-something unspectacular defenseman, while eating up cap space in the process!

David McConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:59 PM
kingbrutis

Well here in PHX Jovo is our overpriced whipping boy. I guess we just added the Rangers whipping boy. Look, if Rosy can play pk and even strength minutes, its a good trade for us. Sure Wolski has more talet, but he was horrible this year. You guys do realise we have Yandle on the PP. We need a guy who can play tough minutes and he will be out of the NY spotlight. He can just fit in and play hockey.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:59 PM
TheLaughsWeKnow*

Hep derp lol. There goes all Wolski to Toronto threads :3

TheLaughsWeKnow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
There had to be money under the table going from the Rangers to the Coyotes. Otherwise it makes no sense for Phoenix to deal a young 1st line talent for a 30-something unspectacular defenseman.
Unless your assumptions are wrong...maybe that part about...nah, nothing's jumping out at me.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

I love how when Rozsival leaves the Rangers, he is suddenly the most underrated defenseman in the league. He is very underrated, but we have been telling you guys this for months now, and suddenly his value has risen because he is not on the Rangers. Typical.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
If Wolski pans out like he can, and stays in NYR this would be a huge steal.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:02 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Wolski can be good when he wants to. We might have a repeat of last year. finishes the year okay and sucks afterwards.

Or maybe he'll play better in his contract year.

Pretty equal trade I guess. Especially in terms of need.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC9400 View Post
Most Rangers fans will love this trade just because the youth movement. Thats why you see everybody with the "OMG Sather Rules" ****... the kid is 24 years old and he has talent, like all these other young skilled wingers we've had recently (Zherdev, Frolov) just a problem with motivation... the biggest thing I think is aside from the age difference and the ability to help with what each team needs, I think the Rangers have a need for a kid like Wolski more than the 'Yotes need Roszival, the Rangers do save that cap hit of a little over a million this year and next. Could be pretty useful.

Wolski is a huge upgrade over Frolov I think. Frolov may be more reliable defensively, but he was not signed to be a Selke winner... He needed to score goals, which he was not doing. If Wolski clicks, this could be a huge trade for the Rangers and at best an even swap for Phoenix. Risk / Reward on this trade potentially is much better for the Rangers and even if Wolski does what Frolov did, we are not losing anything and we are getting younger, better and more experienced and developed on the backline.

I have not seen Wolski play much, I only know statistics for him. I'd imagine he is a better and faster skater than Frolov, no? IMO Frolov's lack of speed hurts him more then anything, he is very slow.
i was a huge frolov fan and i am a colorado fan. i followed both players before they hit the NHL and each year after.

frolov contributes much more to the game than wolski. even w/o frolov scoring he had puck control and worked the corners. wolski is a worse floater than heatley but w/o the knack to score.

wolski clearly has the ability and size, but putting together a full season has escaped him. with a 65pt season under his belt, he is well worth acquiring.

frolov is a better skater than wolski. at least he was when he was a king. not sure what the heck was going on in NY this year

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
saves us over 1M this year and gives us a 25-30 goal scorer ill take it!!

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I'm a little confused why as to why so many are lauding this as a win for the Rangers. Wolski has now been thrown off of 2 teams for playing with zero heart. The tools are there, the desire is not. I could understand some guarded optimism that he'll find his game in New York, but unless something changes in Wolski the Rangers have simply replaced Frolov.
Well said. That's even without mentioning that Roszival is actually a decent asset that played an important role on that team as well.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Kitten Mittons

Rangers looking for a vet dman? How about Nic Wallin? He's the secret weapon! Then we trade Setoguchi + Niemi/Nitty for Bryzgalov.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Nah, you are all missing Sather's logic on this one.

He doesn't want a repeat of April 11th, 2010.

Wolski is great in shootouts.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Dylonus

Damn... I was hoping we could ship off Goligoski and something else small for him at the deadline...

Wtf was Phoenix thinking?! Roszival!?!?

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote