HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great Bill Fleischman articile on Danny Briere

Old
01-09-2011, 12:34 PM
FlyerGuy18

vCash: 500
Great Bill Fleischman articile on Danny Briere

Seriously, is there anyone better?

Though there is an error about Stamkos in there...

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=548880

Quote:
He is the short guy in orange and black, darting around the ice, making smart plays while driving defenders to distraction. One moment, he’s there. The next moment, he’s over there, then the Ice Phantom is gone again.

Danny Briere is listed as 5-10, 179 pounds, but take at least one inch off that published height. Size isn’t an issue with Briere though: he scored 21 goals in 38 games this season, giving him 251 NHL career goals. At the Christmas break Briere was tied with Claude Giroux for most goals scored (16) by a Flyers player this season.

That someone Briere’s size can be a prominent NHL player is a plus for the sport. Younger players Briere’s size who watch him play must think “If Danny Briere can do it, so can I.”

One of Briere’s strengths is his ability to maneuver around the ice without getting checked hard.

Smiling, Briere said, “It comes from all those years of playing against bigger guys. If you’re a big guy and you need to hit, then you’ll find ways to get involved. My game is a little different: I have to find the holes and get lost in the (offensive) zone. You can’t play on the perimeter: you have to get to the front of the net. Sometimes you’re going to get hit. Most goals are scored right in the crease.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.
FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Miss Mess

Nice!!! I finally got a Briere jersey recently.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:25 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Loving Danny Briere's play. If you look at his first three seasons in Philadelphia you'll see that: His first season, he had 13 different line mates, his second season was injury riddled and his third season, he was used out of position and was not adjusting well to the wing. Then, Laviolette puts him back at center, he gets Hartnell and Leino as line mates and they really elevated their games in the playoffs and it's carried over this year. I really think Hartnell and Leino owe their re-emergence and emergence to Briere. Now, if Carter can start scoring in bunches again.......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I love Danny's game but feel he is the type player that has to have complementing players who allow his game to be played... and I agree he has to play center. Hats off to Lavvy for putting those three together and sticking with them. They can and do play Lavvy's system very well.

I agree that Briere has elevated the games of Leino and Hartnell, but on the other hand Briere can thank those players for making him play to his strengths.

I also have to believe that the off-ice situation with both Briere and Hartnell had to had taken its toll on them. I only know the basics but I can empathise and know that no matter the level or details people are effected by such unfortunate circumstances... To their great credit they stuck with it and eventually played through the troubles and regained their games. Prior to his troubles Harnell has always a positive force in games and any negative was greatly compensated and more by his positives. He was not the same player and his contributions fell off and his negatives stood out. Hartnell has to be in the mix and get his clothes dirty as he pokes his nose into things. When he seemed to get back on his feet and was teamed with Briere he again became his old self... I say all this as a credit to him 100%... Life at times is so difficult and lesser people stumble and don't recover.

Both Hartnnell and Briere had a tough road and both have come out of it all the better... Leino had to establish himself also, just for the fact that he was an older rookie who wasn't allowed the chance. Lavvy putting them together at the proper time and having faith in them and in his own system says a lot.

Three players who had fallen from the good graces of the Flyers fans are now their darlings. I give each one the credit they deserve... and Lavvy as well.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I loved the briere signing the moment we made it. I still love it now. People can complain about the hefty salary, but those people also forget just how bad we were, and the situation that we were in. Richards was pencilled as a 40-50 point shut down centre and Jeff Carter had shown us nothing of what he could acheive.

Briere was the perfect guy to sign, and thank god it was Briere over gomez and Drury. Thank god. The guy needs a cup now. It may be his last chance.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote