Flames 5 Hurricanes 6 (SO)

Old
01-12-2011, 04:28 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
Same boat for me. I don't want to bash on him or anything like that, because he's basically been the team for the past half a decade or so, but he hasn't been very good lately.

I'm sure it would rattle you, I don't know about Backlund though. He's not a child, he's a professional athlete. If he's rattled by getting 5 minutes a night then he's not mentally ready to play bigger minutes with increased expectations either.
What I was really getting at is that if your coach as no confidence in your play, you have no confidence either. Everyone goes through it.

Ask J.D Watt

Get this kid some ice-time, be it either in the AHL or NHL.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:33 AM
GoFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
The Flames are 24th in the league right now and have played more games than everyone below them save Ottawa. The chances of making the playoffs is now at 4.9%, meaning to guarantee a spot, the team would have to play at a 0.731 pace.

The Flames are not making the playoffs this year and any sort of 'miracle' run would only hurt the organization in the long term. We need a top five or even a top ten pick badly, especially given how bad the drafting has been and the fact that we have no 2nd or 3rd round pick (thanks Darryl ).

In any case, with Brent's increasingly moronic coaching tactics, this team is all but guaranteed a lottery pick.

As high as 4.9%?

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
In any case, with Brent's increasingly moronic coaching tactics, this team is all but guaranteed a lottery pick.
increasing? I have seen no change in how he manages his players and the lines since day 1... he has been brutal from day 1... he makes me miss Keenan and Playfair more every day

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:42 AM
GoFlames

But he was the "best coach available"... well besides his older and more moronic ex GM brother of course...

Old
01-12-2011, 08:06 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
But he was the "best coach available"... well besides his older and more moronic ex GM brother of course...
If you think D Sutter is more moronic than Brent, let's put it to the test by placing Brent in the GM position and see how he does.

I agree, Brent needs to go and if the only good coach available is Jim Playfair, then gut the team so that the players that had a problem with him aren't here. Give Playfair some input as to who is acquired and make the team coach-able. Heck, I'd prefer Lowry or McGill as a temporary head coach for the rest of the season.

Right now, if the options (which is usually a BS argument, there's always an option, sometimes a great one, you just don't know how to look) aren't there, I'd take Kisio as GM and Playfair as coach. I'd prefer even Maguire and Roy as GM/coach but sometimes you takes what you gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
increasing? I have seen no change in how he manages his players and the lines since day 1... he has been brutal from day 1... he makes me miss Keenan and Playfair more every day
Sadly, I miss Keenan and his horrible management of the defense and special teams because no matter how bad they were, he could always get some offense out of the most unlikely roster players. He was a bad coach but not Brent Sutter bad.

Last edited by ArizonaGreenTea: 01-12-2011 at 08:13 AM.
ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford and Sons View Post
If you think D Sutter is more moronic than Brent, let's put it to the test by placing Brent in the GM position and see how he does.

I agree, Brent needs to go and if the only good coach available is Jim Playfair, then gut the team so that the players that had a problem with him aren't here. Give Playfair some input as to who is acquired and make the team coach-able. Heck, I'd prefer Lowry or McGill as a temporary head coach for the rest of the season.

Right now, if the options (which is usually a BS argument, there's always an option, sometimes a great one, you just don't know how to look) aren't there, I'd take Kisio as GM and Playfair as coach. I'd prefer even Maguire and Roy as GM/coach but sometimes you takes what you gets.

Sadly, I miss Keenan and his horrible management of the defense and special teams because no matter how bad they were, he could always get some offense out of the most unlikely roster players. He was a bad coach but not Brent Sutter bad.
I say we hire a coach for the rest of this year that has had success with an overpaid bunch of prima-donas in the past... if they dont get their **** together then gut the team and start over...

that coach being Pat Quinn

worst case we don't do any better

Old
01-12-2011, 09:06 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

What exactly was wrong with Playfair besides the horrible road record? I think the Flames barely made the playoffs but still, Calgary, I think, had a good mix of off/def.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
What exactly was wrong with Playfair besides the horrible road record? I think the Flames barely made the playoffs but still, Calgary, I think, had a good mix of off/def.
it was more backed into the playoffs... they were solidly in a spot and struggled a bit down teh stretch

Old
01-12-2011, 09:50 AM
tfong

Quote:
I say Skinner is a keeper, no doubt about it!
That's it! We need to draft ourselves a figure skater!! I want a skinner

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 2nd Pick View Post
'Canes fan coming in peace.

What did you guys think of Jeff Skinner? All of us 'Canes fans are homers (see the main board 10 page shouting match between us and Sharks fans), so I want another fan bases opinion.

Skinner has looked great everytime I've watched the Hurricanes play this year. Definitely a keeper. Couture IMO should win the Calder this year, but Skinner is right behind him as runner-up.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
True but Cgy can no longer take a game vs a bottom feeder in the standings for granted

I don't really care about that. I'm more interested in seeing what we have in Karlsson going forward than I am about whether we win or lose this game. I've already written this season off and am all about drafting high this year so I'm not concerned nor would I be overly upset with a loss. I hate to rag on Kiprusoff, given how many nights the team sucked and he was the only one keepin' us in it, but right now he's costing us more games than he's winning us, and Karlsson has earned at least another start. If Karlsson comes out and wins in Ottawa, start him again in Toronto. Build this guy's confidence up.

Also, I'd like to see Backlund play a lot more. He's still young and he's gonna make mistakes, let him learn from them. I don't understand how a young kid gets his ice time cut when he has a rough outing but veteran players are let off the hook. This is supposed to be a veteran team, yet we at times play and make the same kind of mistakes that a young rebuilding team would. I laugh to myself when anyone refers to this team as a veteran team, because they're only a veteran team due to their age and how long they've been playing, not because they play like one.

Yeah, good comeback in the 3rd period last night. So what? They took the 2nd period off and wouldn't have had to comeback and would have likely left with the 2 points had they taken their heads out of their ***** to start the 2nd and actually played. So I wipe my ass with any credit they would normally get for coming back in the 3rd. Good on Bourque for finally busting out of his slump, though.

Ok, end of rant. lol.

Old
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
I say we hire a coach for the rest of this year that has had success with an overpaid bunch of prima-donas in the past... if they dont get their **** together then gut the team and start over...

Pat Quinn 10 years ago maybe, even 5 years. Quinn is done as a coach IMO, I think he would do worse.

"Iron" Mike Keenan would be good if he still had any "Iron" in him but he didn't last time he was here. He seemed more like Mike "Country Club" Keenan. "Just do whatever guys".

I liked Playfair but when he was head coach, he seemed to lack the charisma or grit, whatever you want to call it, to keep the team focused down the stretch. He may be worth another shot, he seems to be working on assertiveness with the Heat. His hockey IQ would not be an issue.

I hope Clouston is not on the list of possible replacements. He seems like Butter 2.0, no more Viking boys.

Not MacTavish either, don't like the guy as a coach.

Andy Murray or Hitchcock? Murray doesn't seem to work out long term unfortunately and since we are not looking at a playoff run why bother. Hitch is not what we need right now, I think he would get tuned out fast.

I think it's a given at this point that we need a new coach but whoever it is should be chosen very carefully as someone who can provide some stability for more than one or two years.

I know, Darryl Sutter! heh heh

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
We're probably not bad enough to get a lottery pick. There are some god awful teams in the East that we can't possibly pass even if we do start trading some assets. Might as well keep pushing for the playoffs, imo.

In our situation, one in which we have a few very valuable assets to offer to other teams, it's probably not essential for us to get a top 3 or 5 pick anyways. With the return we could get from Iginla, Regehr, and Kipper I won't be crying about not having a lottery pick. Just one really good prospect in a potential Iggy trade could be just as good or better than a top 5 pick.

The Flames have a game in hand on Toronto and two on Florida, and are only ahead by one point. Ottawa has played the same number of games, and has 3 fewer points. If/when they fire Clouston, they'll probably go on some sort of hot streak and pass the the Flames, and then we're right back in top 5 territory.

The worst thing for us, though, would be if we get say, the 4th overall pick and the teams in front of us take Landeskog, Couturier and RNH and we're left with Larsson. That isn't to say there's anything wrong with Larsson, I'm sure he's gonna be a stud. But getting a top 5 pick and not coming away with a dynamic forward would be devastating for this team. That said, Edmonton and the Islanders both look like they need the 'Franchise D', and even New Jersey might take Larsson based on their D's inability to move the puck to their forwards.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
Pat Quinn 10 years ago maybe, even 5 years. Quinn is done as a coach IMO, I think he would do worse.

"Iron" Mike Keenan would be good if he still had any "Iron" in him but he didn't last time he was here. He seemed more like Mike "Country Club" Keenan. "Just do whatever guys".

I liked Playfair but when he was head coach, he seemed to lack the charisma or grit, whatever you want to call it, to keep the team focused down the stretch. He may be worth another shot, he seems to be working on assertiveness with the Heat. His hockey IQ would not be an issue.

I hope Clouston is not on the list of possible replacements. He seems like Butter 2.0, no more Viking boys.

Not MacTavish either, don't like the guy as a coach.

Andy Murray or Hitchcock? Murray doesn't seem to work out long term unfortunately and since we are not looking at a playoff run why bother. Hitch is not what we need right now, I think he would get tuned out fast.

I think it's a given at this point that we need a new coach but whoever it is should be chosen very carefully as someone who can provide some stability for more than one or two years.

I know, Darryl Sutter! heh heh
How about John Hynes? He's the head coach of Pittsburgh's AHL team, which is currently 30-8. His team has one AHL All-Star, Dustin Jeffrey, who's not even on the team and hasn't been for a month. Presumably his coaching style is one that allows players to go up and fit into the Penguins system, and while we don't have a Crosby of our own, we are gonna need someone to helm a youth movement who actually knows how to talk to youth. 30-8 at the AHL level indicates this man is capable of that.

Thoughts?

Old
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:

I hate the idea of hiring Pat Quinn. Not only because I'm not a fan of his, but also because the last thing we need is to bring more old school dinosaurs into the organization. I'd rather bring in a fresh face, someone who brings a different philosophy going forward, and someone who is in touch with today's game and is good with dealing with young players, because going forward the focus should be to get younger.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

vCash: 50
Would anyone be opposed to bringing in Playfair again?

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

The next coach of this team should be Kirk Muller. I have heard nothing but exceptional things about the guy, and he knows how the game today should be played and knows how to get guys to work hard. I think he would be quite similar to Joe Sacco.

And I highly doubt Brent will be fired this year. The reason being, he is telling Feaster how to do his job and giving him advice about what type of players the Flames need.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
Yes. And it's got nothing to do with Playfair's ability as a coach. He probably should be coaching in the NHL. But this team needs a culture change, and it doesn't get that by promoting ANOTHER retread who didn't work out the last time. Go outside the organization with a young, up-and-coming HC who understands you can be tough but still be a player's coach ie Bylsma.

Old
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Yes. And it's got nothing to do with Playfair's ability as a coach. He probably should be coaching in the NHL. But this team needs a culture change, and it doesn't get that by promoting ANOTHER retread who didn't work out the last time. Go outside the organization with a young, up-and-coming HC who understands you can be tough but still be a player's coach ie Bylsma.
Bylsma was the AHL affiliate coach of the Penguins though... and IMO Playfair is a different coach than Butter, Keenan, or Dutter.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Nope never wanted him to leave, I think bringing in Keenan was one of the biggest mistakes Sutter made.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
DDxDino

Kostopolous suspended, and Glencross takes a hit to the head from Skinner.. will Skinner get a suspension? Probably not..

http://nhlhotstove.com/hits-to-the-h...draw-the-line/

DDxDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:18 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
That's it! We need to draft ourselves a figure skater!! I want a skinner
You sure you did not mean we need to draft muckers?

Old
01-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
How about John Hynes? He's the head coach of Pittsburgh's AHL team, which is currently 30-8. His team has one AHL All-Star, Dustin Jeffrey, who's not even on the team and hasn't been for a month. Presumably his coaching style is one that allows players to go up and fit into the Penguins system, and while we don't have a Crosby of our own, we are gonna need someone to helm a youth movement who actually knows how to talk to youth. 30-8 at the AHL level indicates this man is capable of that.

Thoughts?
hmmm... I'd definately be open to him as an option

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
tfong

Quote:
You sure you did not mean we need to draft muckers?
Oh man what was I thinking? Quick let's trade for another son of a hall of famer from the whl!!!

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:28 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Bylsma was the AHL affiliate coach of the Penguins though... and IMO Playfair is a different coach than Butter, Keenan, or Dutter.
No ****!