Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf

Old
01-11-2011, 09:25 AM
ryno23

vCash: 500
Phaneuf

Hey guys Leaf fan looking for some insight on Phaneuf.

When he was in Calgary did he play on the right side or the left side? I have been noticing he has trouble playing the off hand.

Who did he play most with while in Calgary?

ryno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
He played on the right, he was pretty good at doing it too. There aren't too many defensemen who can keep the puck in with their off hand like he can (could?).

As for who he played with: Hamrlik and Marchment were his partners during his first couple seasons, then there was a big of moving around (Aucoin was a consistent partner IIRC) until last year when he was with Regehr.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Signature
Robin Williams RIP

vCash: 50
He was probably best when he played with Hamrlik... apparently he was his mentor, and when we lost Hamrlik, it seemed like the couldn't sustain his level of development, and therefore, play-level.

I heard Phaneuf hasn't been throwing his body around either... what exactly is he doing for you guys other than being a captain? No offense, but it just seems like the player the TML know and the player the Flames know aren't even the same people.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
He was probably best when he played with Hamrlik... apparently he was his mentor, and when we lost Hamrlik, it seemed like the couldn't sustain his level of development, and therefore, play-level.

I heard Phaneuf hasn't been throwing his body around either... what exactly is he doing for you guys other than being a captain? No offense, but it just seems like the player the TML know and the player the Flames know aren't even the same people.
None taken. For some reason since he's been in Toronto, Phaneuf has played very solid defensively, but has little offense to his game. I'd really like to see him use his shot more, but even when he has been shooting he tends to miss the net. This could be happening because of Ron Wilson's coaching style, which seems to be pretty terrible for our defense or he may have lost confidence in his shot.

Either way Phaneuf has been very solid for us defensively, but we all really hope his offense comes back.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Roughneck

Does "solid defense" take on a more relative meaning when he plays for a blueline that also has Mike Komisarek and Brett Lebda?

Old
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Signature
Robin Williams RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
None taken. For some reason since he's been in Toronto, Phaneuf has played very solid defensively, but has little offense to his game. I'd really like to see him use his shot more, but even when he has been shooting he tends to miss the net. This could be happening because of Ron Wilson's coaching style, which seems to be pretty terrible for our defense or he may have lost confidence in his shot.

Either way Phaneuf has been very solid for us defensively, but we all really hope his offense comes back.
Oh, the missing the net thing?
Don't worry about it.

On a completely serious note, Phaneuf wasn't ever really know for good defensive coverage during his time in Calgary - it's his partner that needed to make up the slack. And when his offense declined, it made sense for us to trade him - he got scapegoated to an extent, and rumour mills started churning. Ergo, Toronto.

As for the missing the net thing - it's a chronic condition, he puts all his concentration on generating power, and very little on accuracy.
Personally speaking, I'd actually go so far as to say it's a personality thing; he wants to be the one that scores. In comparison to an experienced Lidstrom who will go for a low shot to either side of the net / goalie pads to generate front-of-the-net chances, and whether it goes in off a tip in or a garbage goal where Lidstrom gets an assist or maybe it even goes in for him just because the goalie doesn't see it, Phaneuf instead eschews all that "extra" stuff and instead of going for the assist, goes for goal. Kind of a weird thing, maybe it was because of his time in Calgary - his rookie season he was able to produce 20+ goals.

Last edited by Signature: 01-11-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old
01-11-2011, 02:00 PM
tfong

Wasn't he supposed to win a Norris or Something? Thats what I kept hearing when we traded him originally.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Does "solid defense" take on a more relative meaning when he plays for a blueline that also has Mike Komisarek and Brett Lebda?
I believe you are onto something there...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Federko

Phanuef has been horrible defensively almost 50 to 60% of the time this season. A lot of Leaf fans will verify this. Just go back to Monday's game and see how Simmonds exposed Dion, as if there was nothing Dion could do. He's been disappointing at best with his play on the ice. His swagger and leadership though, is critical for the youngest team in the league.

I know Leaf fans have a reputation for being harsh on our players. That said, I believe a lot of our frustration comes from Burke over hyping players like Dion.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Lunatik*

Phaneuf seems to have been on a decline since he suffered that hip injury the year after his Norris nomination... that was also the year he was first move to his off-hand... I'm not sure if the hip injury that plagued him through 2008/09 is the problem... or the rib injury he suffered at the end of the season... or the concussion he suffered in the playoffs that year... but he hasn't been the same since

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Dion looks he's trying to play a more responsible defensive game instead of the more rambuctious style that he used to play. That's just not sitting well with most Leaf fans who expected him to dominate every game with bone crushing hits. He wouldn't be judged so harshly if his reputation wasn't so overblown

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Dion looks he's trying to play a more responsible defensive game instead of the more rambuctious style that he used to play. That's just not sitting well with most Leaf fans who expected him to dominate every game with bone crushing hits. He wouldn't be judged so harshly if his reputation wasn't so overblown
I would argue him being judged has more to do with his contract than his reputation. Again, for the money I would take Bouw any day of week. And actually all things being equal, if Gio and Dion made the same money I would take Gio as well. Gio is by far a more complete player than Dion and I think his leadership qualities have grown leaps and bounds as well.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Signature
Robin Williams RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I would argue him being judged has more to do with his contract than his reputation. Again, for the money I would take Bouw any day of week. And actually all things being equal, if Gio and Dion made the same money I would take Gio as well. Gio is by far a more complete player than Dion and I think his leadership qualities have grown leaps and bounds as well.
Giordano is the player we wanted Phaneuf to be. That being said, I still believe Phaneuf has a higher ceiling than Giordano, but at this point, cannot match Giordano in terms of level of play.

Old
01-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
Giordano is the player we wanted Phaneuf to be. That being said, I still believe Phaneuf has a higher ceiling than Giordano, but at this point, cannot match Giordano in terms of level of play.
I think that arguement could of been made with the "Dion" that played his first 3 seasons in the NHL. But the fact is, the Dion that has played the last 2 1/2 seasons has not shown that he has a higher ceiling than Gio. Dion is the more physical defenceman of the 2, but Gio has turned into one of the leauges top offensive d-man (Gio currently ranks 24th overall for defenceman in scoring). As of today, there is really no argument about who is better of the 2 IMO. Gio is the better d-man.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:57 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Well, after today's game, I'm thinking I'd still rather have Phaneuf than Jbow. He(Jbow) has been just brutal. Totally not worth the money.

I think he was given the "C" and the responsibility too soon and it will totally mess up any progress he may have made in his development. Still time for him to develop, but the added pressure Doesn't help the cause.

Anyone remember him basically guaranteeing playoffs this season? I don't think they are going to make it..

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRSRPUNKS View Post
Well, after today's game, I'm thinking I'd still rather have Phaneuf than Jbow. He(Jbow) has been just brutal. Totally not worth the money.
Neither are worth the money, but I'd rather pay $6.5M to have a non-scoring Bouwmeester over a non-scoring/non-hitting Phaneuf any day.

Old
01-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRSRPUNKS View Post

I think he was given the "C" and the responsibility too soon and it will totally mess up any progress he may have made in his development. Still time for him to develop, but the added pressure Doesn't help the cause.

Anyone remember him basically guaranteeing playoffs this season? I don't think they are going to make it..
if you think Phaneuf is better than Bouwmeester I think you should take up a new hobby because you clearly have no understanding of the game of hockey

Old
01-16-2011, 01:31 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
if you think Phaneuf is better than Bouwmeester I think you should take up a new hobby because you clearly have no understanding of the game of hockey
Phanuef is young and can still be tutored though. I very doubt J-bo will become much better than he has already been?

Old
01-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Phanuef is young and can still be tutored though. I very doubt J-bo will become much better than he has already been?
yeah that 18 months difference in age is a real killer

Old
01-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Ahh HF, where 18 months means the difference between "young up and comer" and "over the hill".

EDIT: Dammit Lunatik.

Old
01-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Ahh HF, where 18 months means the difference between "young up and comer" and "over the hill".

don't damn me... eithe ryou just didn't see it or you type REALLY slow... I did beat you in 3 minutes...

do you think the guys that think age is everything on HF

Last edited by Noori: 01-16-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: flame
Old
01-16-2011, 02:13 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

Quote:
don't damn me... eithe ryou just didn't see it or you type REALLY slow... I did beat you in 3 minutes...

do you think the guys that think age is everything on HF
Things like capitalization and proper grammar tend to slow down ones typing.

we dont all..... type like.... this.....

Last edited by Noori: 01-16-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: qep
3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:43 PM
tfong

Quote:

Its not just about age though, its about the role you take on the team. Jaybo has never "had" to become better on the Panthers because he was already their top.

Dion on the other hand was still considered the #2/3 guy in a Flames uniform behind Reggie and arguably Hammer. So he was still in a position to learn if you think about it.

Now he has Kaberle and what not to follow after (whishful thinking of course) while Jaybo is more or less the clearcut top guy given his price tag and youth versus Reggie. So in a mental assumption, he has nothing to "prove".

18 months is also a pretty long time too. Look at Gio in between 18 month intervals. Half way through one year he is the #4/5 guy, then he goes to the KHL and comes back and can can be a #1 guy (offensively and all around imo) or at worst a #2/3.

I didn't say over the hill, but I think Jaybo matured a lot faster, while Dion isn't "mature" really so potentially he could become better when he reaches a mature state. Its like saying Jaybo peaked earlier because he matured mentall faster.

Old
01-16-2011, 02:56 PM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Its not just about age though, its about the role you take on the team. Jaybo has never "had" to become better on the Panthers because he was already their top.

Dion on the other hand was still considered the #2/3 guy in a Flames uniform behind Reggie and arguably Hammer. So he was still in a position to learn if you think about it.

Now he has Kaberle and what not to follow after (whishful thinking of course) while Jaybo is more or less the clearcut top guy given his price tag and youth versus Reggie. So in a mental assumption, he has nothing to "prove".

18 months is also a pretty long time too. Look at Gio in between 18 month intervals. Half way through one year he is the #4/5 guy, then he goes to the KHL and comes back and can can be a #1 guy (offensively and all around imo) or at worst a #2/3.

I didn't say over the hill, but I think Jaybo matured a lot faster, while Dion isn't "mature" really so potentially he could become better when he reaches a mature state. Its like saying Jaybo peaked earlier because he matured mentall faster.
Thank you. Maybe i wasn't articulate enough in my post, but someone got it.

Last edited by Noori: 01-16-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: flaming
Old
01-16-2011, 03:04 PM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Read the whole post before you jump on me. I said I'd rather have Dion than Jbow. I didn't say who was better at all.