HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Mid Season Grades

Old
01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Mid Season Grades

Boredom has gotten the best of me and I kinda wanna see everyone else's grades.

Goalies:

Rinne A - Rinne has played great except for the few times coming back from the injury and knocking the rust off, but he is our best goalie and could decide the playoffs.

Lindback
A+ - Most of us were worried about the goalie situation to start the season, I think its safe to say none of us are worried at all. Lindback has also saved the season when many of us thought an injury to Pekka would kill us.

Defensemen:

Weber A- - Weber was exposed when Suter was out, but has still managed to be an awesome defenseman for us.

Suter A+ - The best shutdown defenseman in the league, and his value was made clear in his absence.

Klein A- - I took the Klein avatar just because I figured no one would want it because he was the whipping boy and sucked last year. He has been much better this year but still has an error every once and a while.

Boullion
A- - A steadying veteran presence on the blueline but like Klein he is capable of some gaffes.

Franson B+ - Our weak link defensively but he makes up for it offensively and is growing as a player.

O'Brien A - For years we have wanted a tough physical defenseman who would clear the front of the net and add some grit. We finally found him and he has also shown a bit of skill on the offensive side of things with a few nice moves.

Sulzer C+ - A 7th defenseman who can fill in holes, but obviously is rusty at times and still needs experience to become a better player.

Forwards:

Spaling A+ - I believe he is the reason our PK has turned around and has been nothing but an elite defensive forward. His offense is not much but seems to be coming around some, but Spaling is helping the team.

Smithson B+ - Smithson has been Smithson. Nothing spectacular just a good team guy who leaves it on the ice.

Tootoo A- - For a while Tootoo was providing some decent offense and has remained fairly disciplined this year. He still leaves something to be desired but for a 3rd or 4th liner he's doing his job.

Ward C+ - Joel is on pace for about 15 points less this year than the previous two years and Ward has been losing battles more often as well. While there are a few bright spots this year for Ward, he has not lived up to expectations.

Dumont D - It seems the desire is there for JP and sometimes the skill shows through, but wow he is not the same player as a few years ago.

Legwand A - This grade seems high for Legwand but every game he is in he is picking off passes or breaking up plays or even getting on the score sheet. Ive also noticed him attempting to hit a bit more this year. Definately a key element if we are to succeed in the playoffs.

Goc A+ - When Poile signed Goc I believe he killed the real version and cloned Legwand. He is a player who has done everything for the team, little things and big things. Will probably have a career year again this year.

Erat A- - It was obvious Erat was injured at the beginning of the year then when he got healthy the numbers started coming and he played a part in the emergence of Kostitsyn. He just needs to stay healthy like the rest of the team.

O'Reilly A- - Provided a nice offensive spark in the beginning of the year then fell off. Still not many of us were expecting much of anything from Cal.

Sullivan B+ - Sully is still an offensive threat but misses on breakaways and just isn't the player he used to be. Still he has added to the team and is one of the best offensive players we have.

Wilson B+ - The talent is there but he still needs to put it together. One game Wilson will dominate then he will go cold for 2 or 3. The past few games have been a good sign, but lets see him keep it up.

Hornqvist A- - Our leading goal scorer and one of the hardest workers, but I believe Hornqvist could be even better the second half of the season. Hes found his groove and lets hope it lasts til June.

Kostitsyn
A+ - A true talent and has really turned it on lately. I was expecting at best another playmaker, but if there is a shot Kostitsyn takes it. He also comes back and plays defense and will play PP and PK. This is a player I am actually excited to see for the coming years and hopefully he is not on a 20 game hot steak that ends.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Boredom has gotten the best of me and I kinda wanna see everyone else's grades.
Overall, I pretty much agree with a few excpetions.

Franson has been better than Klein this year. They both have made strides since last year, and I believe Franson is underrated in his defensive play. He has very good positioning and is starting to hit more.

Wilson should be higher. He is turning into a dominator out there.

Ill also add a few

Barry Trotz - A

Sure, we all disagree with some of his strategies and line combos, but the man knows how to get wins out of any team you throw in front o fhim. Despite injuries, a drug abuse loss, and more injuries, this team is sitting at #4 in the west. Barry Trotz is a wizard.

David Poile - A+

This man is the reason the Predators are so good. He traded Dustin Boyd for a player that is tied for second on our team in points, has goals in his last five, seems to have a good work ethic, and is helping out in the community, all at LEAGUE MINIMUM. He also traded a back-up goalie that is doing awful in Tampa for a d-prospect, who he then traded for a solid #5 defenseman who adds grit to our team so we don't have to dress Belak every night. Somebody give this man a cookie.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Goalies:

Rinne A - Rinne continues to impress.

Lindback
A+ - All hail the giant

Defensemen:

Weber B+ - Weber was absolutely dreadful without Suter and certainly hasn't been as potent offensively as he was last year.

Suter A+ - Best defenseman in our system.

Klein B- - Sorry its Klein, he still makes too many bonehead plays for me to be nice.

Boullion B- - See the above.

Franson B - He needs to start playing mean before I give any more than a B. He could be the next best thing since Weber if he could just play with some fire!

O'Brien B+ - He fits in perfectly.

Sulzer B+ - When he plays, I think he has been pretty good.

Forwards:

Spaling A+ - The single greatest defensive forward ever to have graced the penalty kill. He has a no quit attitude that I absolutely fawn over.

Smithson B- Smitters is Smitters

Tootoo A+ - I thought tootoo was having maybe the best year of his career. Best of luck to him.

Ward F - I have not been happy with Ward at all this season.

Dumont F - See the above.

Legwand N/A - Come back to me when he actually plays some games.

Goc A- - Started hot, has gotten cold.

Erat A- - Started cold, heated up.

O'Reilly B+ - Started hot, but trending way way way down.

Sullivan B- - Love sully, but man he isn't who he used to be.

Wilson A+ - If this kid had more icetime, we wouldn't worry about him so much.

Hornqvist A - Starting to produce. He gives it ever night and gets it every night. Can't say enough about this guy.

Kostitsyn A+ - Baller..

Trotz A- Will he keep the lines that have been working or sacrifice good mojo for vets like Sully and Erat

Poile A+ Absolute stunning moves. He has been on his game this year.

Roman Yoshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Overall, I pretty much agree with a few excpetions.

Franson has been better than Klein this year. They both have made strides since last year, and I believe Franson is underrated in his defensive play. He has very good positioning and is starting to hit more.

Wilson should be higher. He is turning into a dominator out there.

Ill also add a few

Barry Trotz - A

Sure, we all disagree with some of his strategies and line combos, but the man knows how to get wins out of any team you throw in front o fhim. Despite injuries, a drug abuse loss, and more injuries, this team is sitting at #4 in the west. Barry Trotz is a wizard.

David Poile - A+

This man is the reason the Predators are so good. He traded Dustin Boyd for a player that is tied for second on our team in points, has goals in his last five, seems to have a good work ethic, and is helping out in the community, all at LEAGUE MINIMUM. He also traded a back-up goalie that is doing awful in Tampa for a d-prospect, who he then traded for a solid #5 defenseman who adds grit to our team so we don't have to dress Belak every night. Somebody give this man a cookie.
I'll do my full mid-season analysis on my next blog later tonight. That said, Franson has not been better that Klein this season.

As much as I like what Franson brings to the table (even espousing the opinion on multiple blogs that he should be on the first power play unit over Weber), Franson has not been better than Klein this season.

Franson does a fantastic job on the power play in getting the puck towards/on net. He's a tremendous asset in that regard. In that fashion, he's the best on the team.

That said, he's still one of the two worst defensivemen in their own zone in Nashville's top six (with Bouillon being the other).

Kevin Klein has clearly established himself as the third best defenseman on this team. He still makes the occasional mistake, but so do Weber and Suter. Klein has one the toughest jobs on the team in dealing with the opponent's top power play unit's night after night. While he's certainly not done it himself, he's a big reason that the Predators' penalty kill rate is what it is.

Really, it's not close between who is the third defenseman on that team.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Grade A

Rinne - has been the main reason for 2 points too many times
Lindback - Wow, great rookie, Preds seem comfortable when he is in
Weber - for what he lacked without Suter, he has made up for
Suter - So needed on the PP
Kostytsin - looks dangerous out there most shifts, and can finish
Hornqvist - working hard and banging in the garbage, which is his job
Wilson - with ice time, comes confidence, and he can dominate. Versatile - has played with every forward on every line, RW, LW, and center

Grade B+

Obrien - has brought a TON to this team. Can be more offensive more often
Boullion - hits hard, only jumps offensively when good time
Franson - brings a lot offensively, scares me defensively still
Smithson - faceoffs, and PK have been great
Spaling - great on PK, think he can show more offense
Erat - buzzes around and makes some great plays. Too many turnovers gives this grade
Sullivan - when he is on his game the team has success. Inconsistency and Injuries
Legwand - would like to see him more offensively
Goc - has trailed off a bit as of late.
O'Reilly - before the injury, was struggling a bit offensively, and confidence

Grade B

Klein - too many obvious mistakes on defence. Some great outlet passing though
Tootoo - some games great vision, sometimes needed glasses

Grade C+

Ward - lots of effort, not too many results

Grade C

Dumont - not sure what is going on. When given opportunity - NO results

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:57 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

As promised...

My assessment of the first half of the season.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I won't give grades.

I think the biggest suprises for me so far this season has been:

SK - After looking way out of place early he has really turned it on for the last 20 games.
Wilson - You can see his confidence building. Really doing a good job with the puck.
Suter - I knew he was good but until he went down, didn't really know how much we need him
Klein - Say what you want but when Suter was out, Klein was our second best defenseman. Has really completely replaced Hamhuis, and some of Hamhuis bad habits.
Franson - Offensively, he can be amazing but with that he makes some really high risk plays, if he can limit the negative outcome of those plays he'll be a great one.
Sullivan - Before his injury he was looking good much better than last season.
Erat - Really looked good once he was put with
O'Reilly - seemed to hit a bit of a low stretch but before that, he was our best center.
Goc - Everything we needed and more.

Disappointments:
Ward - Although lately has really turned it around
SOB - Really thought he'd be a little more skilled. I guess as a bottom pairing, he's ok.
Injury bug - Not much to say. We've been hit hard before but nothing like this

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
deanwormer

The Good:
SK74 - we all knew he had skilz and potential, but after a slow-start he's fit nicely
Orly - sure, he slowed down prior to blowing up the leg, but if you expected him to be in our top 5 in scoring at the midpoint, and our top C, please raise your hand.
Suter - ANY doubt left on how good he is or his impact? We saw what his being gone did to Weber's effectiveness; we just witnessed him completely shut down Rick Nash; if you've been watching him the little things are too numerous to recap.
Goc - The guy was gonna' be our 4th line C, and he's had to play scoring line role virtually the entire year - an admirable job.
Klein - Still a few too many heartburn inducing decisions, but he's become a reliable #3 and done a great job on the PK.
Smitty - Hands of Stone, heart of a Lion. Back to a high-level of effectiveness on the PK, very effective in the circle, fills in wherever we need, and led that checking line in some very effective work shutting down some big lines.
Franny on O - We expect him to be effective on O, but he's been exceptional at getting the puck quickly to the net, including helping finally (maybe) getting the PP on track.
Anders the Giant - We've come to expect excellent goaltending and don't accept anything less than above-avg; first year in NA, 22yo., thrown into a significant string of games with Rinne out = top 5 #2 goalie performance.

The bad:
Injuries - they happen to everyone, but you know, we got it pretty bad.
Cube - it's more the role he's been put in but other than hits and his feistiness, Cube hasn't played to the level we need as a 2nd pair guy. Better since Trotz now goes to SOB on the PK, but still...
Ward - can sum it up in one word: inconsistent. Joel has played some brilliant games for us where he dominated digging pucks out and keeping that non-scoring threat line down in their end to burn up opposing top-line shifts, and he's been in games where you just wonder WTF. Not much O this year, but playing with Smitty and Nick and Toots prolly isn't gonna' get ya' a lotta' chances, but still...

The Ugly:
JP - Man, his game has disappeared. Maybe it's a chicken-and-egg thing with being in Trotzy's doghouse, maybe he never got over the cheap hit from Burrows, maybe he just got old fast, but whatever, his game is gone. Consummate professional, though, and a really good guy.
Franny on D - I gave him his due on O, so..... foot-speed still terrible, still soft especially for a guy with so much size, still makes poor D decisions - like the misplay on the goal the other night, still poor puck handling - easy to forecheck into bad decisions; I'll stop now cause it's gameday and I don't wanna' cause a foul mood.....
Injuries - Did I mention the games lost we've had, particularly by our Cs????

So the rest - played to expectations, near expectations, or been hurt too much to really say. I could complain about Leggy's O, but then I'd have to gush about his D, so he gets a pass. Wilson - he's coming along, but inconsistent - but he's gonna' be a really nice player. Probably should have given Nick a GOOD for his spark on the PK. Oh, and Mr. Trotz and Mr. Poile; sirs, well done. Finding the pieces to fit into the system, getting the team to play the system, finding the right roles for each guy to be most effective.... again, well done.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:12 PM
glenngineer

The biggest grade to me goes to the special teams. We are above 100% combined on the PP and the PK. That is what good teams do. Still like to see the PP improve a little bit more but being at 15% is a lot better than where we were earlier in the year. If we can get the conversion rate a little bit higher and keep the PK % up I'll be a very happy camper.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote