HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc in the WJC: What We Learned

Old
01-11-2011, 03:26 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I liked what I saw from Leblanc, I however think he has a lot of work to do both on and off the ice before becoming a solid NHLer
I completely agree, mainly for the "bulking up" part.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I've never heard of this site before, but wouldn't you expect a totally Habs baised article on a site called Habs eyes on the prize?
I get your point, but at the same time, a good journalist could write Habs interest content without being a cheerleader, just as I'm sure a Bruins writer could follow the Bruins without being Jack Edwards.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Feel free not to read any threads on Leblanc, you can just ignore them instead of suggesting how many threads we should have on a player.
i'm not attempting to dictate nor control what is written on these boards; i'm simply stating my opinion.

I think as of now most ppl will argue if he's a potential 3rd liner or 1st liner. That debate alone suggests to me he's an average prospect.

The amount of threads this prospect gets is a bit overboard. I mean, there are reasons why mods have made the effort to keep things organized. It's why when a poster creates a new thread about a trade proposal, it gets moved to a trade proposal thread.

If we had the next coming of PK Subban, or some super talent, than I would have an easier time putting all the threads in perspective.... and even then, a PK Subban thread would be useful.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
i'm not attempting to dictate nor control what is written on these boards; i'm simply stating my opinion.

I think as of now most ppl will argue if he's a potential 3rd liner or 1st liner. That debate alone suggests to me he's an average prospect.

The amount of threads this prospect gets is a bit overboard. I mean, there are reasons why mods have made the effort to keep things organized. It's why when a poster creates a new thread about a trade proposal, it gets moved to a trade proposal thread.

If we had the next coming of PK Subban, or some super talent, than I would have an easier time putting all the threads in perspective.... and even then, a PK Subban thread would be useful.
Subban had more higher end upside but LeBlanc's game is a lot more polished at the same age.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:

Believe it or not, most of us don't really care about your opinion on the validity of a thread. Why don't you just let the mods do their job, and if you feel a thread is unnecessary, just don't click on it. Deal?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I'm impressed with LeBlancs skating, vision, and effort on the ice. I also thought he showed flashes of scoring line skill. But he also gave the puck away a ton, and at 19 hardly dominated which suggests to me his future is that of a second line player...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Subban had more higher end upside but LeBlanc's game is a lot more polished at the same age.
Subban was dominant as a 19 year old, Leblanc was a role player...

Old
01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
MXD

I can't believe what I read about the fact that the Habs picked a local, and only a local, and that his upside isn't so high...

Do these posters realize that he doesn't have much to do (mainly, a two-way presence on the 2nd line, ending up with 50 pts a season and working his ass-off on every shift for a six or seven years period) to end up being the second best 1st rounders of the Habs since 2000?) -- All the while being picked lower than many guys that would rank below him?

Do these posters realize that Kyle Chipchura was picked just one spot lower than Leblanc? The Leblanc pick has a 90% chance to end up being a better pick than Chipchura -- basically, making the team for a full year will do the job, as Chipchura ranks below par, even for 4th liners standards.

Old
01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
even though his role was diminished the first year, subban was a returnee. I think Leblanc could of benifited a lot had he made the line up last year. basically, and i think we can all agree, Leblanc is a prospect in the works. He did not wow me at WJC but he showed me some nice things.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Believe it or not, most of us don't really care about your opinion on the validity of a thread. Why don't you just let the mods do their job, and if you feel a thread is unnecessary, just don't click on it. Deal?
No dice. I'm voicing my opinion that too many fans obsess too much on a prospect that many peg as a 3rd liner. My opinion is thread worthy, just as much as the numerous LB threads that can be found on this board.

Quote:
No, PK was better player, period. Polished shmolished. What does that mean anyways? That he takes less risk? That's the only thing I can think of.

Old
01-11-2011, 04:20 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Absolutely, it's not even close ! Some people are still trying to figure out how to tie their shoes !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:24 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Personally I was disappointed in both his limited use but also some of his play when he as used. I missed some action at the beginning of the tourney but saw all of the elimination games, and I thought he was ok at times and looked a bit lost or uncertain at others. I also believe he was on the ice for either the 2nd & 3rd, or 3rd & 4th goals for Russia in the gold medal game. Not that it means everything, but I kind of grunted when I saw it.

I think he's likely back next year, but I do hope to see some improvement.
Well I definitely agree, saying Leblanc was the 2nd best Canadian player is rather laughable, his play with the puck has been a desapointment to me, he displayed very little puckhandling skills, the only place where he really shone is along the board where he looked a notch above everyone... As you said, he was on the ice for 2 of the 3 first russians goals and while he might not be dircetly responsible, he still has a part of responsabilities on those plays IMO. Also, I dont think he displayed more energy, intensity than most of the Canadian players but I will agree on the fact that he found a way to be involved for some important goals in this tournament.

P.S.: Im not bashing Leblanc, Im only saying what I seen.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
The difference is that Subban's higher upside is much much higher. And correct me if I'm wrong but Subban was on the tournament All-star team.. They must have liked his polish.

Leblanc has a long road to travel before he can be as coveted a prospect as Subban is/was, whatever. Ultimately I think Leblanc will make a solid NHLer, I'm just not sure in what capacity. He is pretty far away in my opinion, minimum 3 years.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
and tell me dear dan, what is wrong with my post ?
if there was something wrong, it would have been taken care of. Just knew you would be posting in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Agreed, he needs to get bigger and stronger that's for sure, I was thinking maybe 2 seasons of AHL
Yea it would be great if he can bulk up and get stronger. 2 Seasons in the AHL sounds about right, of course it's impossible to know how he will adjust to the next level but he appears to have most of the skills to do well when he advances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
I get your point, but at the same time, a good journalist could write Habs interest content without being a cheerleader, just as I'm sure a Bruins writer could follow the Bruins without being Jack Edwards.
I'll be honest, I didn't read the article but agreed, no need to be a cheerleader when writing articles.

Quote:
Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Quote:
I'm impressed with LeBlancs skating, vision, and effort on the ice. I also thought he showed flashes of scoring line skill. But he also gave the puck away a ton, and at 19 hardly dominated which suggests to me his future is that of a second line player...
I've had some discussions about Leblanc's skating, it's actually one thing I am not sure I like although I wonder if he had more leg strength then his skating would look better. Not saying it's bad or will hold him back, just something about his skating doesn't sit right with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I can't believe what I read about the fact that the Habs picked a local, and only a local, and that his upside isn't so high...

Do these posters realize that he doesn't have much to do (mainly, a two-way presence on the 2nd line, ending up with 50 pts a season and working his ass-off on every shift for a six or seven years period) to end up being the second best 1st rounders of the Habs since 2000?) -- All the while being picked lower than many guys that would rank below him?

Do these posters realize that Kyle Chipchura was picked just one spot lower than Leblanc? The Leblanc pick has a 90% chance to end up being a better pick than Chipchura -- basically, making the team for a full year will do the job, as Chipchura ranks below par, even for 4th liners standards.
That's an interesting point and a sad reality. I don't know why this team has struggled in the 1st round for so many years, hopefully Leblanc is better then the previous ones.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I've had some discussions about Leblanc's skating, it's actually one thing I am not sure I like although I wonder if he had more leg strength then his skating would look better. Not saying it's bad or will hold him back, just something about his skating doesn't sit right with me.
It's hardly a pretty stride, but the kid is fast, and his feet never stop moving...

For me his skating, vision, and effort/ability to win puck battles are the 3 major positives of his game.

Old
01-11-2011, 04:54 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Whatever you need to tell yourself.
wow, if my opinion has that much influence.....

Old
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
It's hardly a pretty stride, but the kid is fast, and his feet never stop moving...

For me his skating, vision, and effort/ability to win puck battles are the 3 major positives of his game.
He works hard and has good speed but its something about his stride that always bugged me. When I first saw him in the USHL, his skating reminded me of Ribeiro's, although perhaps I was being thrown off by his #71.

I think his best assets are, his compete level (which shows in his play along the boards), his smarts, his work ethic and offensive skills.

Quote:
wow, if my opinion has that much influence.....
Just that I have been on this board for close to 10 years and I'm the longest serving mod on the Habs board, so I can see through a lot of peoples posts.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Just that I have been on this board for close to 10 years and I'm the longest serving mod on the Habs board, so I can see through a lot of peoples posts.
I guess there's a fine line between saying that we're over-hyping and obsessing too much on an average prospect and having such statements be deemed as 'playing the mod'.

Old
01-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Usually guys that produce at a point per game pace are not categorized as role players. Subban got a big role on the PP while Louis barely got any PP time.

Old
01-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Habs13

He reminds me a lot of Chpchura... and I still thinkl Chipchura would have been a lot better if not for that bad achilles injury.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
The difference is that Subban's higher upside is much much higher. And correct me if I'm wrong but Subban was on the tournament All-star team.. They must have liked his polish.

Leblanc has a long road to travel before he can be as coveted a prospect as Subban is/was, whatever. Ultimately I think Leblanc will make a solid NHLer, I'm just not sure in what capacity. He is pretty far away in my opinion, minimum 3 years.
Brayden Schenn was on the tournament all star team ahead of Couturier and others, doesn't mean he has the highest upside...it's a 2 week tournament and some guys get hot and others get cold, it hardly defines players' careers.

Subban has a lot of tools but 2 years later he is still learning how to apply them to NHL games. LeBlanc already plays a pro style game and has the smarts and vision, he just needs his body to fill out.

Old
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
MXD

Quote:

That's an interesting point and a sad reality. I don't know why this team has struggled in the 1st round for so many years, hopefully Leblanc is better then the previous ones.
And even then, I was kind to stop at 2000.

Small analysis here

- Jarred Tinordi, 22nd, 2010 : Too early to call, but chances are, might end up being a better pick than Tinordi at this point.

- Ryan McDonagh, 12th, 2007 : Too early to call, it seems he'll end up being a good bottom-pairing D-Men; anything beyond that is optimistic, but there's a possibility

- Mac Pacioretty, 22nd, 2007 : Too early too call, and while I like what I've seen so far, I just don't think he has 1st line potential. HE COULD end up being a better pick than Leblanc.

- David Fischer, 20th, 2006 : All Leblanc has to do in order to be a better pick than him is to secure an AHL spot next year.

- Carey Price, 5th, 2005 : Don't think Leblanc can be a better pick than him. There's a gap between 5th and 17th, but still, Price is Price.

- Kyle Chipchura, 18th, 2004 : Playing a full year with the Habs would already make Leblanc a better pick than Chipchura, because Chipchura ranks as a below-average 4th C.

- Andrei Kostitsyn, 10th, 2003 : The jury is still out. Leblanc ends up being a better pick than him if he can play 6 seasons in the NHL, putting up point totals between 30 and 50 while playing solid two-way game and kill penalties. At least, nobody would ask themselves when he would blossom, and we can get 1st liners by some other way.

- Chris Higgins, 14th, 2002 : He and Leblanc are close. I don't think Higgins is much over replacement-level since he left Montreal. In order to be a better pick, Leblanc simply have to play like Higgins did at his peak (which was basically his seasons in Montreal, minus his last one) for as much time. Upside is similar - Higgins reached his upside, but for a very short period.

- Mike Komisarek, 7th, 2001 : See Higgins, higher peak, but even shorter duration. Difference of 10 ranks helps Leblanc for the comparison.

- Alex Perezoghin, 25th, 2001 : Playing two seasons in Montreal on the Top-9 would make him a better selection than Perezoghin - minus the headcase.

- Ron Hainsey, 13th, 2000 : Well, he blossomed, but as a Top-4 guy on a bad team. On a good team, he's Top-6 material. Won't peak higher. Six years in the Top-9 would make Leblanc a better pick, regardless of how he does.

- Marcel Hossa, 16th, 2000 : Two full seasons in the Top-9 would be enough for Leblanc to rank as a better pick than Hossa, as long as Leblanc plays a consistent game.

- Eric Chouinard, 16th, 1998 : Sticking up in the NHL for a full season would make Leblanc a better pick than Chouinard.

- Jason Ward, 11th, 1997 : A decent 4th liner that played four full seasons in the NHL. Two years in the Top-9 would make Leblanc a better pick.

- Matt Higgins, 18th, 1996 : Holding his own for 20 games on a decent team would make Leblanc a better pick than Matt Higgins.

- Terry Ryan, 8th, 1995 : Being an average AHL'er would make Leblanc a better pick than Ryan, don't forget the gap.

- Brad Brown, 18th, 1994 : Peaked as a 6th D-Men (and perhaps 7th - never played more than 61 games in a season), and only ONE of those teams can be qualified as something better than "below average" (that was the Wild in 02-03). An old-school, tough bottom pairing guy who, in the end, wasn't good enough to keep a regular roster spot on an average team.

- Saku Koivu, 21nd, 1993 : If Leblanc ends up being as good as Saku, I'd be the happiest guy on this board.

- David Wilkie, 20th, 1992 : The guy that was brought up when Leblanc was draft (the attendance wanted Brousseau, Habs picked Wilkie, Wilkie was booed, the draft being held in Montreal). A 7th D-Men with terrible defence, from what I can remember. Holding a roster spot for a season makes Leblanc a better pick than this guy.

- Brent Bilodeau, 17th, 1991 : If Leblanc shows up for the next training camp, he's already a better pick than Bilodeau.

- Turner Stevenson, 12th, 1990 : He wasn't as bad as people remembers him to. Painfully slow, no hands, decent physical player, peaked as a 3rd liner (not a great one, but certainly useful). 10 seasons in an NHL lineup between the 3rd and the 4th while showing up for every game would make him a better pick, and any long stint (and holding his own) on an NHL Top-6 would shorten the seasons needed to make Leblanc a better pick than Stevenson.

Bottom-line : The Habs picked many players in the vincity of the 17th pick (think, from 15 to 20). Leblanc will have a hard time to be a worst pick than ANY of those guys (Bilodeau, Wilkie, Brown, M.Higgins, Chouinard, Hossa, Chipchura, Fischer).

When all is said and done, I'd expect Leblanc to be the 4th or 5th best 1st rounder of the Habs (and that margin of error is because we won't know right away where Pacioretty ends up), and he's a really safe bet to be a better pick than HALF of those guys. And amongst those guys, only one was a "local" pick (and we know how this one ended up...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
He reminds me a lot of Chpchura... and I still thinkl Chipchura would have been a lot better if not for that bad achilles injury.
He would have turned out better for sure. Still, Chipchura was not really fast to begin with, and would thus have been at a disadvantage in the post-lockout NHL.

Sure, they couldn't know when they drafted him, but let's not make him to be a Jason Allison or something.

Old
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
habshound247

I thought he had a decent tournament, but personally, this was one of the weakest Team Canada world junior teams I have seen in awhile. Other than Schenn, Barrie and Kassian, I wasn't really blown away. The injuries/suspension made it tough for him to get any consistency with his linemates, but this tournament provides for that. I'm curious to see how he plays if he can add an extra 15-20 lbs. over a couple years.

habshound247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
How exactly?

Chipchura has always been pegged as a defensive center (3rd line at best) who can bring leadership and toughness, who's slow and not very good offensively.

Leblanc is seen as a 2-way forward, able to play in every game situation. Not only is he good defensively, but he can also produce offensively, as he shown at the WJC, without getting any PP ice time. While not a dynamo, he's much faster than Chipchura. He also has a much better vision than Chipchura.

The only thing I see them having in common is that they are both hard workers.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Maybe the grinding part of the game, but offensively they are not in the same ballpark. It's like saying Ryan White reminds me of Mike Richards because he plays an "in your face" style.