HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lehner, Locke called up

Old
01-12-2011, 08:30 AM
sens83

vCash: 50
Martin St. Pierre. Not Martin st. Louis. Pay attention.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

vCash: 500
i grew up in Binghamton so i follow the bSens and OTT close even though i now live in DC.

one thing i'll never understand is how so many people get fooled by AHL stats.

there is a reason a guy like Hamel can score 52 goals in the AHL and can't play over a regular shift in the NHL.

if i read one more "Locke gets no respect" post i will vomit. i think he gets a lot of respect, for what he is, a career AHL allstar.

every team in the AHL would like to have Locke to draw ticket sales for the club and help their goal scorers develop. but i don't think there is a single NHL team that would want him.

i'd love to be wrong, and i am happy he got called up to make some more $$ as a reward for his great play in the A. he might even get some stats and have a hot streak, even jamie lundmark could do that from time to time. if he does, let's try not to get carried away with starting "next years lineup threads" that slot Locke in as the 1-2 center.

not trying to be flaming here. it is killing me to see OTT going through this, and i am happy Locke has so many supporters. but i would ask those supporters to look at the AHL league leaders 1-20 and take note of what most have in common with Locke.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:37 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
For me it's not about Locke, it's about the organization. Right now, we're not very attractive to any free agents, be they NHL'ers or AHL'ers.

However, you start giving guys a shot from the farm team and players will take notice. Who's going to stick around or sign with you when nobody gets a chance to prove themselves at the NHL level when they are having a successful season? How do you motivate NHL players (still on contract) on an AWFUL team to continue to compete when they have a secure roster spot?

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
operasen

All depends on where he plays (centre or wing) and who his linemates are. Clouston does not seem to have any confidence in the Locke experiment and I suspect Murray had a say in bringing him up. Too bad Butler was not recalled as well.

Clouston probably plays

Michalek - Fisher - Alfredsson
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Smith - Winchester - Shannon
Foligno - Locke - Regin

I'd like to see something with

Regin - Fisher - Alfredsson
Ruutu - Kelley - Neil
Foligno - Winchester - Michalek
Smith - Locke - Shannon

Even more, sit Michalek and play Butler (with Locke, leaving Shannon with Winchester) - but that is not happening until Michalek, Kovalev, whomever is dealt

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:48 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
You don't get it. He is small and Marty St-Louis is small, we might be on to something here.
Well then we probably have two Martys then! Shannon and Locke! We are so fortunate!

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:51 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
GOD DAMN IT.

Leave the ****ing guy alone, he just won 4 straight, he only played 11 games in the AHL,
let him finish the season.
I don't know Lehner but from the short interview his dad gave a little while ago about his son, I have no problems with Robin to have games in the NHL. He was 12 and his dad was shooting pucks 100mph at him.

And from others interviews, I think he is mentally very strong and he understands the situation: he will see a lot of pucks.

He will be fine. You don't get good if you have been pampered all your life, you have to see adversity.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:32 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
All depends on where he plays (centre or wing) and who his linemates are. Clouston does not seem to have any confidence in the Locke experiment and I suspect Murray had a say in bringing him up. Too bad Butler was not recalled as well.

Clouston probably plays

Michalek - Fisher - Alfredsson
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Smith - Winchester - Shannon
Foligno - Locke - Regin

I'd like to see something with

Regin - Fisher - Alfredsson
Ruutu - Kelley - Neil
Foligno - Winchester - Michalek
Smith - Locke - Shannon

Even more, sit Michalek and play Butler (with Locke, leaving Shannon with Winchester) - but that is not happening until Michalek, Kovalev, whomever is dealt
My guess is:

MM-Fisher-Shannon
Foligno-Regin-Alfie
Rutuu-Kelly-Neil
Smith-Locke-Winchester

Based on tweets, some edits to the lines:

MM-Fisher-Alfie (guessing)
Foligno-Locke-Shannon (at practice this morning)
Smith-Regin-Winchester (guessing)
Rutuu-Kelly-Neil

Last edited by HockeyTownUSA: 01-12-2011 at 09:48 AM.
HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:36 AM
SENSational Sens Fan

Locke will make his debut as per Team 1200. Neil and Campoli fight 15 mins into practice.

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
You are a stuck record get out a little farther from the wood shed
I'm not even sure what that means but it's funny.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Owner and management trying to save some fans here. Give people a reason to watch and forget about a 6-0 loss.

2 things can happen with Lehner

1. Loses in a bad environment with bad coaching. Picks up bad habits and bad relationships OR,

2. Starts winning. The team ends up in 9th place and loses a top pick in next year's draft.

Either way, Bingo will suffer and Ottawa is no better to worse off.

Out of ideas and weak as ever. BM and EM have no idea how to run a team in the NHL today.

Last edited by Icelevel: 01-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
Owner and management trying to save some fans here. Give people a reason to watch and forget about a 6-0 loss.

1. Loses in a bad environment with bad coaching. Picks up bad habits and bad relationships OR,

2. Starts winning. The team ends up in 9th place and loses a top pick in next year's draft.
I came up with this insane third option. I shouldn't even write it because you guys might think I've lost it.

But maybe - just maybe - Lehner will play one or two or even 20 insignificant games. He will have some good moments and some bad ones, but really not have too much effect on this lost cause of a team because no sane person is expecting him to come and get them into the playoffs.

Management gets to see what he looks like against NHL competition - if for nothing more than to see what happens because there isn't much to lose.

Lehner won't lose his mind or destory his career, he won't even need therapy afterwards probably.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:58 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post

Either way, Bingo will suffer and Ottawa is no better to worse off.

Out of ideas and weak as ever. BM and EM have no idea how to run a team in the NHL today.
While i don't agree with this move teams do it from time to time its does not mean they don't know how to run a team.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Honestly folks whats the big deal with these moves?

They need to do something to shake things up, and this is a cheap and easy way to try something.

Lehner doesn't need to save the team and Locke doesn't need prove which Martin St. ______ he really is.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Honestly folks whats the big deal with these moves?

They need to do something to shake things up, and this is a cheap and easy way to try something.

Lehner doesn't need to save the team and Locke doesn't need prove which Martin St. ______ he really is.
It isn't a big deal. The only people screaming are the arm chair GM's who actually believe that they could run an NHL franchise. Lehner gets a 2 or 3 game look with Leclaire recovers then goes back down to Bingo. Locke gets a much deserved look in The NHL and we'll see what happens there (no guessing on my part).

Sens are done so they are finding out what they have in their system. It's actually part of the rebuild these same people are screaming for.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
UkraineTrain

Locke is dumb. Why does he play in the AHL? He could be a star in the KHL while making 1 million tax free dollars.

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkraineTrain View Post
Locke is dumb. Why does he play in the AHL? He could be a star in the KHL while making 1 million tax free dollars.
Not everyone wants to go to russia some perfer to play close to home and for some that means playing in the ahl.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
It isn't a big deal. The only people screaming are the arm chair GM's who actually believe that they could run an NHL franchise. Lehner gets a 2 or 3 game look with Leclaire recovers then goes back down to Bingo. Locke gets a much deserved look in The NHL and we'll see what happens there (no guessing on my part).

Sens are done so they are finding out what they have in their system. It's actually part of the rebuild these same people are screaming for.
Agree with you except this part seems like an exaggeration. Leclaire never recovers, he just prepares for the next injury.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Might actually be about playing in the best league in the world? He's actually trying to make it and not just fly over to Europe for a pay day?

I'm not a Locke fan by any means but he wants to stay in North America and try and reach The NHL, full credit for taking less money and working his ass off.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Agree with you except this part seems like an exaggeration. Leclaire never recovers, he just prepares for the next injury.
Tocuhe good sir.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Might actually be about playing in the best league in the world? He's actually trying to make it and not just fly over to Europe for a pay day?

I'm not a Locke fan by any means but he wants to stay in North America and try and reach The NHL, full credit for taking less money and working his ass off.
As it is, he makes a pretty darn good living in the AHL and playing a game I am sure he loves.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
As it is, he makes a pretty darn good living in the AHL and playing a game I am sure he loves.
Exactly. Locke is trying to make it and that has to be respected.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:24 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
1 million tax free dollars that are not tied to any contract too. So if the "GM" behind the desk (who might be holding a gun) tells you you are no longer needed on the team (because the Russian star is back), what recourse do you have? A written contract in place for you to still get paid - NO. A players union - NO. An agent - NO.

Not a life many Canadians or Americans aspire to.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:25 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Habs fan here and I'm excited to see Locke get a chance. Hopefully he gets a few games.

Guy has been a beast in every league he played in. No question. I doubt it translates to the NHL, but there is a chance, so why not try it?

He didn't look THAT out of place in his game with Montreal. You could tell his thinking was a bit slower, but that may have been due to nerves for all we know.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
While i don't agree with this move teams do it from time to time its does not mean they don't know how to run a team.
no, but when 90% of the decisions management makes are head scratchers, then it's ok to start saying to yourself, "hey, maybe these guys aren't the best at what they do"

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Theres no such thing as tax free, Russia has a flat income tax of 7% I believe, which yes is less than the U.S., but its still not "tax free." Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote