HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ovechkin on Russian WCH team...

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2004, 01:38 AM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Ovechkin on Russian WCH team...

In the ongoing saga of Crosby vs Ovechkin this is a huge leg up for the pro-Ovechkin crowd.

If Crosby was a year older I still don't think there's any way in the world that he would make our squad from the qmjhl and if he did there would be a huge uproar.

Is Ovechkin really that good right now that they think he can be a positive contributor or is he just there to try and hold his own while he gains valuable international experience?

Old
06-25-2004, 01:56 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
In the ongoing saga of Crosby vs Ovechkin this is a huge leg up for the pro-Ovechkin crowd.

If Crosby was a year older I still don't think there's any way in the world that he would make our squad from the qmjhl and if he did there would be a huge uproar.

Is Ovechkin really that good right now that they think he can be a positive contributor or is he just there to try and hold his own while he gains valuable international experience?
Well, the advantage Ovenchkin has is that he's played against men, while I believe that would be an impossibilty for Crosby in North America. Also, Russia doesn't have the depth that Canada has. Finally, I'm not entirely sure he belongs there, these rosters are probably bigger than they have to be, and it's possible he was picked for the publicity (or even just to increase his eventual transfer fee).

Old
06-25-2004, 11:21 AM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Well, the advantage Ovenchkin has is that he's played against men, while I believe that would be an impossibilty for Crosby in North America. Also, Russia doesn't have the depth that Canada has. Finally, I'm not entirely sure he belongs there, these rosters are probably bigger than they have to be, and it's possible he was picked for the publicity (or even just to increase his eventual transfer fee).

Yep, I agree with all of this. Many of the best Russian players have declined to play leaving some room, and there is no question that the Russian Hockey Federation is jockeying for cash.

Closed Thread