Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Vatanen and lindholm - Norfolk

Old
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
bootsgaudet

vCash: 500
Vatanen and lindholm - Norfolk

Kinda hoping norfolk dosent make it into the playoffs so we can at least bring vatanen up sooner and potentially lindholm but i doubt he'd play.

At the same time i want that team to squeak in so the players down there get some playoff experince.

Regardless Vatanen needs a recall as soon as it is can be.

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:25 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

He actually does not need to be recalled. He was underwhelming the first time he was here but I love the passion all the his fans have for him. I would rather have him play in the AHL playoffs than in Anaheim right now.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:29 AM
randyc

Callup

I can understand the fans in Anaheim wanting to see Lindholm and Vatanen sooner rather than later.

As a Norfolk fan I do want us to make the playoffs. But I think Duck fans would recognize that you want to foster a winning atmosphere at the lower level. They will bring that with them to Anaheim. Also I allows them to be put in a pressure packed situation rather than putting in lesser minutes in Anaheim.

randyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Exit Dose

We may need to borrow one of them for a bit if Fowler is out.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsgaudet View Post
Kinda hoping norfolk dosent make it into the playoffs so we can at least bring vatanen up sooner and potentially lindholm but i doubt he'd play.

At the same time i want that team to squeak in so the players down there get some playoff experince.

Regardless Vatanen needs a recall as soon as it is can be.
Does there really need to be a thread about this?

If you're so eager to watch Vatanan and Lindholm play just watch Norfolk games.

Not wanting your prospects to make the playoffs so two dman can sit in the press box seems silly. You realize the Ducks are good right? Shouldn't you be excited about that?

I swear some people on HF would rather see the Ducks lose with prospects playing than win with the team we have now.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:01 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I swear some people on HF would rather see the Ducks lose with prospects playing than win with the team we have now.
Lose with prospects and a top 6 of AHL 13th forwards

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Does there really need to be a thread about this?
Well there is discussion about it, and this sure doesn't belong in the Norfolk thread. I kind of like the fans who are also fans of the prospects. And I see how it would be great for them to see them develop to great players.

But Vatanen does have some obvious areas to improve, and it's better for the team to let him develop in the AHL where he can get a huge role and then you can let him in for the camp and the pre-season to see if he is ready and to let him develop a little more. It's better for Vatanen to have a couple of first all-star team selections in the AHL along with the same couple of years of defensive improvent than to play six minutes a game and try to learn as fast as he can in the NHL and avoid any mistakes.

Also I think that some of the comments really downplay Vatanen. Like the ones which compare him to be on the level of AHL 13th forwards like we saw here in this thread or say that he sucks on the defense. There are many d-men in the AHL that are worse defensively than Vatanen. We have to also remember that Vatanen mainly is an offensive defenseman and he gets more points than many first line forwards along with his solid (the latter half of the season) defensive contributions.

The discussion seems to have become very black and white after eenok visited the boards. Like there would be no middle ground regarding Vatanen, excluding some very sensible posters like Randyc and Exit Dose. And even Eddie Shack who I thought was on the dark side of the Vatanen bandwagon, I learned him to be actually quite objective on the matter.

Of Lindholm I think that bringing up Vatanen is not going to affect when Lindholm can be brought up. They are not fighting for the same spot. Vatanen is up if an offensive defenseman is down, Lindholm is up if a defensive D-man is down. Potentially they both could play their way up for the next season already if they play their way out of the camp. And for the future nothing would please me more than see them on the same line in the NHL. Well maybe I can think of something that would please me more but, yeah .

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
We may need to borrow one of them for a bit if Fowler is out.
It sounds like Fowler won't be out too long, and with Saturday's game in LA, followed by Wednesday at home i think they would just go with 6 D until the roadtrip.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Well there is discussion about it, and this sure doesn't belong in the Norfolk thread. I kind of like the fans who are also fans of the prospects. And I see how it would be great for them to see them develop to great players.

But Vatanen does have some obvious areas to improve, and it's better for the team to let him develop in the AHL where he can get a huge role and then you can let him in for the camp and the pre-season to see if he is ready and to let him develop a little more. It's better for Vatanen to have a couple of first all-star team selections in the AHL along with the same couple of years of defensive improvent than to play six minutes a game and try to learn as fast as he can in the NHL and avoid any mistakes.

Also I think that some of the comments really downplay Vatanen. Like the ones which compare him to be on the level of AHL 13th forwards like we saw here in this thread or say that he sucks on the defense. There are many d-men in the AHL that are worse defensively than Vatanen. We have to also remember that Vatanen mainly is an offensive defenseman and he gets more points than many first line forwards along with his solid (the latter half of the season) defensive contributions.

The discussion seems to have become very black and white after eenok visited the boards. Like there would be no middle ground regarding Vatanen, excluding some very sensible posters like Randyc and Exit Dose. And even Eddie Shack who I thought was on the dark side of the Vatanen bandwagon, I learned him to be actually quite objective on the matter.

Of Lindholm I think that bringing up Vatanen is not going to affect when Lindholm can be brought up. They are not fighting for the same spot. Vatanen is up if an offensive defenseman is down, Lindholm is up if a defensive D-man is down. Potentially they both could play their way up for the next season already if they play their way out of the camp. And for the future nothing would please me more than see them on the same line in the NHL. Well maybe I can think of something that would please me more but, yeah .
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. I am greatly involved in following all of our prospects as well. However, unlike many on this board, I care much more about the score at the end of the game than who is the one scoring.

I certainly want the Ducks prospects to perform and develop, however I also realize that many will not. I don't care who does the job, I just care that the job gets done. To me many here care so much about an Etem or Vatanan playing that they don't appreciate the Ducks actually winning games.

For the OP to say he wants our farm team to lose just so certain players are called up is embarrassing to me. Especially since he should realize that come playoffs neither Vatanan or Lindholm will play(unless injury occurs).

If the OP wants to discuss for the millionth time whether or not Vatanan should be in the NHL that is fine. I have no issue with that. However, he just seems to want to make a statement that these guys should be called up just because, and at the expense of them gaining playoff experience in the AHL. That is my issue with the thread in general.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
It sounds like Fowler won't be out too long, and with Saturday's game in LA, followed by Wednesday at home i think they would just go with 6 D until the roadtrip.
I think you always want a backup available for if someone gets injured in warmups. Running with 5D against the Kings is almost a guaranteed loss.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
i think AHL playoff experience >>>> sitting in the pressbox while the ducksa re in the PO's..

GO ADS

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:18 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. I am greatly involved in following all of our prospects as well. However, unlike many on this board, I care much more about the score at the end of the game than who is the one scoring.

I certainly want the Ducks prospects to perform and develop, however I also realize that many will not. I don't care who does the job, I just care that the job gets done. To me many here care so much about an Etem or Vatanan playing that they don't appreciate the Ducks actually winning games.

For the OP to say he wants our farm team to lose just so certain players are called up is embarrassing to me. Especially since he should realize that come playoffs neither Vatanan or Lindholm will play(unless injury occurs).

If the OP wants to discuss for the millionth time whether or not Vatanan should be in the NHL that is fine. I have no issue with that. However, he just seems to want to make a statement that these guys should be called up just because, and at the expense of them gaining playoff experience in the AHL. That is my issue with the thread in general.
This is something I've noticed recently too. Seems like there's a bigger proportion now of fans who care more for the back of the jersey than the front.

But on the plus side, it probably is reflecting a growing fanbase with some fervor. That can't be a bad thing.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:31 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Better for them to have keeroles in Norfolk for now imo.

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:13 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
I agree with them being in Norfolk, experience the pressure of a late playoff push and the experience, rather then play one or two games here.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
I want Norfolk to make the playoffs. We can afford to play Lovejoy if it means our prospects getting playoff experience. That's invaluable and we're already in the playoffs...I mean...unless you think Dallas and Detroit will win out and the Ducks won't get one single point the remainder of the season. That and Detroit or Dallas losing tonight (Detroit plays Chicago) gets us in. We've got time to get healthy by then.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:39 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
This is something I've noticed recently too. Seems like there's a bigger proportion now of fans who care more for the back of the jersey than the front.

But on the plus side, it probably is reflecting a growing fanbase with some fervor. That can't be a bad thing.
Prospects and their development are always at the top of die-hard fans' interest lists. There's just something about new players that seems to get us really psyched which is why free agency, the trade deadline and the draft are always so popular. I mean look how contentious we get when this team is good and doesn't necessarily need a lot of new players. That and we all like to win the guessing game on how a player is going to turn out. It's part of the fun of the game I guess.

I think impatience has a lot to do it too. We hear so much promise about these kids and we just really want to see them play. I'm very anxious to see both of these players as full-time regulars with the team but not until we need them and they're ready. Their team right now is the Admirals and they need to be there to get them into the playoffs. After that, by all means come on over. Practicing with the big club during a playoff run will only benefit them.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
vatanen named to ahl first team ahl all star

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
AngelDuck

First PP unit: Vatanen-Fowler-Getzlaf-Perry-Bonino
Second PP unit: Beauch-Souray-Koivu-Selanne-Palmieri

Goals will be scored!!

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
vatanen named to ahl first team ahl all star
I know I said this before BK, but I am sooo fricken surprised we got Vats at a 4th round pick level. This kid has exceeded expectations my goodness

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:53 PM
PhoenyX

How has Lindholm been playing this year?

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Oan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenyX View Post
How has Lindholm been playing this year?
Better than Vatanen. He should have been on ahl all star team instead of Vatanen.

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Better than Vatanen. He should have been on ahl all star team instead of Vatanen.
You probably want to elaborate on that notion. It makes a better substantiated response.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Exit Dose

He's just trolling. Eenok 2.0

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:02 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Yeah. I didn't watch enough of the second half of the AHL season to say this for sure, but Lindholm simply didn't play enough or score enough to take that spot from Vatanen.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post
I can understand the fans in Anaheim wanting to see Lindholm and Vatanen sooner rather than later.

As a Norfolk fan I do want us to make the playoffs. But I think Duck fans would recognize that you want to foster a winning atmosphere at the lower level. They will bring that with them to Anaheim. Also I allows them to be put in a pressure packed situation rather than putting in lesser minutes in Anaheim.
Oh yeah, a winning culture is a huge plus. I look at that 05-06 Portland Pirates team that went deep in the playoffs, and how many solid NHL players came from that team(Penner, PA Parenteau, SOB, Konopka, Smid, Huskins, Glencross, Brent, Rome and obviously RPG), and can't help but think how a winning culture early can help in development. We'll be fine without them, let them win some games and develop.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote