Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Angels of Anaheim Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Hockey Duckie

vCash: 500
If Weaver is pitching tonight, then that means Mathis will be catching. Get ready for a lack of offense from the catcher's position.

Odd note: Sosh brought up C Conger from AAA and said he would get starts. Seems kind of odd to bring up your best catching prospect to only sit and watch. Why not send him back down to AAA to continue playing as well as hitting as opposed to wasting away on the bench for nothing.

Old
08-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Fighter
Legend

Weaver just got burnt two times in two pitches. from 4-1 LAA to 4-4.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 50
Trout is quite a player. Watching the whole series because I get Mariners' games here.

Old
09-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
Trout is quite a player. Watching the whole series because I get Mariners' games here.
He's had a great return. Now he needs some regular playing time with the Angels. It would be nice to see the kids put it together at the same time. Tough losses like last night don't help much. Oh well, should be some excitement in Anaheim in the closing series against Texas later this season. Get your tickets now - go Angels!

Old
09-07-2011, 04:36 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Texas lost today. Lead down to 3 games

Edit: I know we are all facing tragedy..it really sucks. I am just trying to keep a positive light on things and not trying to be insensitive.

Last edited by c4rcy: 09-07-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old
09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
Texas lost today. Lead down to 3 games

Edit: I know we are all facing tragedy..it really sucks. I am just trying to keep a positive light on things and not trying to be insensitive.
It would be nice to see the Angels win tonight. :

Old
09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
alx83*

MFW I get to watch fellow Ducks yet unfellow Rangers fans grasp at the thought that you'll win the division

Old
09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Benny Lava

Awesome start from Williams, cool to see him playing well. Only 2.5 back.

Old
09-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Mooseduck

Congrats Dan Haren
Beats the Yankees 6-0, complete game shutout

Old
09-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Hockey Duckie

The Angels have shut down the Yankee offense by giving up only 1 run in two games! Haren back on his sharp self. I hope Santana can sustain the momentum and keep the Yankees off the boards.

Heck, Pinero is rounding his game back again and Williams has been a wonderful relief. The Angels have the pitchers to make it to the playoffs. Should they make the playoffs, they actually have the best starting rotation in the AL.

Trout is just wow. The org also promoted Jeremy Moore, yet another speedster. So that's three players that can run from first to third in a blink of an eye: Borjous, Trout, and Moore.

And can you believe it, but Jeff Mathis is actually hitting the ball. He's been having a .178 batting average for the whole year. Now he decides he can hit? Also, Well has been hitting well recently.

All is looking great. Yet, the last game of the year is against the Rangers and the Angels haven't fared well against them the past two series. I have been feeling like that Buttercup song during those two recent Rangers-Angels series. LoL

Old
09-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Gibson Les Palms

Yankees and Sox better watch out for the Rays too.

Old
09-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Finnpin

Better luck next season.

Old
09-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Vernon wells

Old
09-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Fighter
Legend

Giving away Napoli, great idea!

See ya next season...

Old
09-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Mooseduck

Season fairly predictable, not sure this management team will learn their lesson. Let's hope so.

Some great pitching this season. Good job guys.

Old
09-28-2011, 12:27 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
Season fairly predictable, not sure this management team will learn their lesson. Let's hope so.

Some great pitching this season. Good job guys.
Pitching was good. No one batted higher than .290, which is pretty disappointing, and Abreu, Wells, and Hunter looked like they had aged this year. Now, we'll have no room to make for a decent young prospect. They really dug themselves a hole, but as the last 2 years have gone, Reagins has to be to blame.

Old
09-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
Giving away Napoli, great idea!
But he can't play defense...

Hopefully the pitching stays as strong next year and interesting to see what the team will do with Morales.

And Wells hopefully he starts to play even little bit better...that contract oh my....

Old
09-28-2011, 04:38 PM
DucksFanDFW

vCash: 700
Man what a game last night! Napoli, Cruz, Kinsler... Can't wait for the playoffs!

Old
09-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Gibson Les Palms

2 epic chokes within a half hour

Old
09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Mooseduck

Crazy finish to a season last night

Old
11-05-2011, 12:08 PM
gradeAducksfan

Angels & Free Agents

I know baseball just ended but there are some pretty big names that will become free agents. Any chance the new Angels GM will go out and make a splash? I can think of 1 player that will put the Angels over the top...... Albert

I would like to know everyone's thoughts please.... Go Ducks!

Old
11-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
I know baseball just ended but there are some pretty big names that will become free agents. Any chance the new Angels GM will go out and make a splash? I can think of 1 player that will put the Angels over the top...... Albert

I would like to know everyone's thoughts please.... Go Ducks!
Doubt it because we tied up so much money with freaking Vernon Wells. Albert doesn't really make sense because then someone needs to be moved to the OF either him or Kendry. Trumbo is supposedly learning how to play 3b to make room for Morales to come back. That leave Abreu, Hunter, Wells, Bourjous, and Trout(sooner or later) in the outfield. I keep hearing analysts think that the Angels will be in the running for Prince but I just don't see it unless we are able to dump some outfielders on someone and get some bullpen help because the bullpen was awful last season.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:15 PM
gradeAducksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
Doubt it because we tied up so much money with freaking Vernon Wells. Albert doesn't really make sense because then someone needs to be moved to the OF either him or Kendry. Trumbo is supposedly learning how to play 3b to make room for Morales to come back. That leave Abreu, Hunter, Wells, Bourjous, and Trout(sooner or later) in the outfield. I keep hearing analysts think that the Angels will be in the running for Prince but I just don't see it unless we are able to dump some outfielders on someone and get some bullpen help because the bullpen was awful last season.
I really hope we don't put all of our cards into Morales coming back a having a monster year! Prince will be good but for how long?

I just hope the GM will make a splash in the Free agency this year because the Angels need to and so do the fans! It's always a good time for both teams (Ducks and Angels) to be in the playoffs

Old
11-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Hockey Duckie

** This will be long. Just wanted to give you a heads up. **

The Angels were 10 wins from tying first place in the division. They were five wins from tying for the Wild Card spot. Our rookie closer, Jordan Walden, had 10 blown saves by his own self. That doesn't include other blown saves from our bullpen.

All this hoopla about getting Albert Puljos or Prince Fielder, though it may sound great, doesn't necessarily mean you have to put yourself into further debt or cost yourself the future. As bad as the Angels were, they were still in the thick of things. Here's the bad that happened to the Angels this year... Kendrys Morales didn't return, Pinero slipped terribly, Fernando Rodney wanted to look good instead of throw well, Mathis still can't hit, Wells was abysmal for his contract, and the tandem of Hunter-Abreu got older, to which it showed, and, ahem, the bullpen.

For as much maligned the Angels were, there were in the thick of things close to the very end. We got a ROY in first baseman Mark Trumbo. Trumbo lead the team in HR's with 29 and RBI's with 87. So why go after yet another first baseman who will command immensely more money than the rookie?! Plus, you have your big bat with Kendrys Morales returning, who is also a first baseman. On top of that, you have a heavy hitting first baseman that was drafted last season, CJ Cron. Cron hit 13 homers in a short 34 game season at rookie league OREM for him due to an injury. Again, you have talent coming down the pipeline and it doesn't make any sense to clog up the system a la the Vernon Wells situation and rookie Mike Trout needing to stay in AAA next season because there is no room in the big league (Wells at LF, Borjous at CF, Hunter at RF, and Abreu at RF/DH).

The Angels do need run production. They need to find it at third base, catching, and DH. In the outfield, they are hoping Wells will produce throughout the whole year and not just a portion of the year.

At third base, Alberto Callaspo is the team's best hitter with a batting average (BA) of 0.288. In fact, the top three BA are all infielders: 3B Callaspo .288, 2B Kendrick .285, SS Aybar .279. But Callaspo only hit 6 HR's and had a paltry 46 RBI's. I would not mind that mind number if he was a Gold Glover to help reduce infield hits, but he isn't. So we need help here. One thought is to eventually convert 1B Mark Trumbo into a third basemen if Kendrys Morales fully recovers. That would be ideal. It's Trumbo's defense that needs to improve should that opportunity present itself at third. But that is about a half season to full season away.

At the catcher's position we have a dilemma. Coach Sosh wants a defensive catcher first and hitter next. Here's what we got:
Player Games Played Batting Avg Hits HR's RBI's Fielding %
Mathis
Wilson
Conger
Both Mathis and Wilson are great defensively, but offensively they are inept compared to what Hank Conger can bring. Here's the silver lining: this is Conger's rookie season in the Big League. The problem that will ensue is this... Conger was not able to hone his skills as a catcher this season in AAA because he was sat often in the Big Leagues. A terrible mis-management for his development and for the organization. Conger cannot improve if he is not playing the game as a catcher. Oh!, and before I forget to mention, he is a switch hitter too! The team had Bobby Wilson as the back up catcher, but he too was under utilized and possibly stunted his growth as well. So the answer at catcher is there: let Hammerin' Hank play!

Now, let's look at the DH position. This year's DH was/is Bobby Abreu. He would rotate with Hunter or Wells. And it looks bad. In fact, there's a trend to Bobby.
Year At Bat Runs Hits HR's RBI's
He's 37 years old now. One more year older and the numbers don't lie that his stats are sliding. This is where the Angels can significantly make an impact offensively, both good and bad. Bad: just stand pat and let Abreu to be the DH. Good: find a replacement.

There are two ways to improve the DH: 1) look outside the organization or 2) look inside the organization. Either way, Bobby needs to go. I hate to say it because he's been a great organizational guy, but numbers don't lie. When your infielders are hitting more HR's than your DH... your team has a problem. Personally, I'd look in house. My hopes would be Kendrys Morales will recover, but the org. will take its time to bring him onto the field and, thus, make him the DH. Kendrys can also hit left if need be, which is definitely a plus as a DH. Another in house solution is to rotate Wells and Hunter into the DH position and bring Mike Trout to the big leagues. This actually helps two fold as Mike Trout improves the outfield defense due to his speed just like fellow outfieder Peter Borjous.

The outfield does need improvement and it points to LF Vernon Wells. He hit .218 last year. Wells was the team's big splash and retort (or rather resort) to not signing OF Crawford or 3B Beltre. As scary as retaining Wells' services, there is some positive light in looking at his past three years, including this past year:

Year Team At Bat Runs Hits HR's RBI's Batting Avg
Tor
Tor
LAA
So we can extrapolate that Vernon hit more HR's in less at bats from 2010 to 2011. His batting average would stump anyone after seeing how many homers he hit. I would be a bit happy if he were the DH or not paid that much money. Essentially, it's the money being paid to Vernon that has given everyone a sour taste.

Wells had three terrible months in April, May, and July where he batted .171, .212, and .203 respectively. Yet in July, Vernon was still able to earn 20 hits, 6 homers, and 15 RBI's. So if Wells can start out fast, he may yet be able to live up to 75% of his albatross contract.

In conclusion, there is no real need to make a big splash in the free agent market for a hitter. Wells can improve, the catching position has Conger in waiting, third base is weak, and DH Abreu is simply getting old. A better DH would be ideal. Preferably, a left handed bat like our very own Kendrys Morales.

In offense here's how we rank last season:
StatAngels RankAngels StatTop StatMedian Stat
BA
Hits
Runs
Homeruns
RBIs

In pitching here's how we rank last season: (Thanks ESPN.com for the median!)
StatAngels RankAngels StatTop StatMedian Stat
ERA
Hits
Runs
Walks
Strikeouts
Saves
Blown Saves

Let's not kid ourselves. The Angels were never a great hitting team in that we swung for the fences like the Red Sox or Yankees. Sosh has had this team as a small ball, manufacture runs team that is built upon defense and great pitching. We're in the middle of the pack offense with a 5th rank pitching in ERA. That should equate to a playoff berth, but it didn't. So what happened? As you can view the stats above, the team can't strike out players (but some of our pitchers are ground ball pitchers) because we rank 12th overall in hits given up. That points to the bullpen. 25 blown saves. That's abysmal!

As bad as our offense was last year, it was pitching was the main deterrent. As the fourth starter, Piniero, had his ERA balloon from 3.84 to 5.13. Outside from the top three of Weaver, Haren, and Santana, there needs to be more solid performances. Our top three pitchers have 45 wins combined. That's 52.3% of the team's wins. (14 wins, or 16%, came from the bullpen of Downs, Walden, and Rodney. Those three pitchers are 8th inning and 9th inning pitchers. Generally not a good sign to have that many wins from your back end bullpen.) Starting pitcher Jerome Williams was a surprise, but that was only on a 10 game stint. Finally, closing duties of Fernando Rodney and Jordan Walden had a total of 14 blown saves. Set up lefties Scott Downs and Hisanori Takahashi had a total of 6 blown saves. That's 20 blown saves from the 7th inning and on.

Walden eventually wrestled away the closer position, but got worn out during the season for his rookie season. And it seems as though the Angels are willing to have growing pains with Walden. I doubt Rodney's services will be retained, but leaving the closer position not open for competition doesn't bode well for the Angels' organization. Getting a solid fourth starter and possible closer/set up man would probably be more of a priority than trying to find a big bat.

Sure the Angels can scrap for a few runs here and there. It's keeping the opponents from scoring more than you. What's that old adage, "if they can't hit, then they can't score."

Last edited by Hockey Duckie: 11-05-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old
11-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

It sounds good on paper to bring in a power hitting 1b and have Kendry DH, but the Angels have too much money tied up in the OF and one of those players will DH. Hockie Duckie is right (I skimmed some sorry), that the Angels need to shore up the bullpen and they can make the playoffs.

Closed Thread