Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Hockey Duckie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
Mickey Hatcher = black hole of hitting.
You can't blame Hatcher for Pujols not performing. Ianetta switched leagues and he's hit three homers already. Kendrys Morales hasn't been in baseball for over a season and a half, but he's also hit two homers. Old man Torii Hunter, Black hole Vernon Wells, and future hitting champion Howie Kendrick all have four homers. I would have included Fleet Pete in that convo, but his was of the inside the park kind.

As for not scoring, then that blame goes to the head coach, Sosh (Mike Scioscia). We've gone away from small ball and common sense.

For example, in today's Friday night game, already down 3-0 in the bottom of the third inning with Aybar on second base with no men out, Sosh let three consecutive guys swing to only go down in order. There's a guy in scoring position with no outs. The old team would sac bunt to get Aybar to third. Trout has enough power to launch it into the outfield for a sac fly. But none of that transpired. The Angels could have pushed the issue of scoring and getting into the opposing pitcher's mind. Instead, the Angels staff builds the opposing pitcher's confidence by lining out, striking out, and grounding out in order after giving up a double.

No one's afraid of our hitters. Pujols needs to move out of third spot and demoted to six or seventh. No one is afraid of him any longer. But Torii is en fuego and Kendrick are the only two players on the team hitting above .300. Trumbo is at .298. That should be your two-three- and clean up hitters. Instead, in tonight's game, they are the 5-6-7 hitters.

Also, the Mike Trout experiment hasn't produce enough spark at leadoff. Send him back down to gain confidence. Trout is hitting .222 in the majors. He had a .403 hitting average at AAA with five triples and four doubles.

Hmmm... maybe it is Hatcher. What has to make you wonder is this is the same batting coach who had one of the Angels team all bat over .300 for the whole season(2009 season). So is it Hatcher or the batters themselves? Mickey didn't do anything to Pujols. Maybe it's just father time catching up to Pujols and Pujols not making adjustments to make up for the lack of bat speed?

Bottom of the ninth. The Blue Jays have five hits. The Angels also have five hits. Except the score is Blue Jays 4 and Angels 0. So what gives? Oops. Might Maicer just hit a double. We now have more hits than the Blue Jays and are still losing.

It's kinda like owning a lot of SOG's than the other team, but still stuck on the losing end.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Please tell me you didn't just compare Pujols to Casey Kotchman......

Great game by Weaver.
PlayerGamesBat AvgRBI'sRunsHR'sStolen Bases
Pujols 27 0.194
Kotchman 19 0.162
Mathis 7 0.294

Yeah, I went there. And how surprised I am looking that up for this season when comparing Pujols to Kotchman. Ouch. And then for fun, I looked up our former offensively inept catcher, Jeff Mathis, and his production. Even he has hit more homers than Pujols. Hurts. oh it hurts.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

That was ****ing pathetic! Santana looked good enough at least... but holy crap that was bad. Pujols wake the hell up - same goes to the rest of ye

Old
05-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
When you think about Pujols' struggles, it is not terribly surprising. New league, new pitchers, new teammates, new coach, new parks, the manager that was like a father to him is retired and gone, family not living with him (right?) and a tremendous contract that must feel like the weight of Mt. Everest.

I don't care how good the guy is, all of that is taking a huge toll IMO. But he will break out of it. I'm not super familiar with baseball, but he's had tons of success and has been able to make adjustments before.

Old
05-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaheim View Post
That was ****ing pathetic! Santana looked good enough at least... but holy crap that was bad. Pujols wake the hell up - same goes to the rest of ye
I stated before that our starters are rounding into form. (Haren took a step back two games ago.) Even though Santana lost the last two, he's been pitching well. In Santana's previous game (two games ago), Hunter lost a ball in the sun with two outs and two on base.

Pujols isn't as dangerous as he was. He needs to move down the line up to build some confidence while the rest of the Angels try to scrap some wins. And Sosh needs to start playing small ball again. Yes, we have some heavy hitters, but they ain't hitting heavy. So go back to small ball. Get a run here and there and have great pitching. Eventually, you get a win. That's all that matters.

Old
05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Finnpin

The Machine showing he is just a human. He will get back but this might end to be statswise his worst season.

First time I bought mlb.tv and they are playing lie this...

Old
05-05-2012, 12:00 PM
DarthYenik

Runless in the last two games. Which is weird when you look at the last four games. All have been shutouts, except the first two were wins for the Angels, and the last two were losses.

Old
05-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
When you think about Pujols' struggles, it is not terribly surprising. New league, new pitchers, new teammates, new coach, new parks, the manager that was like a father to him is retired and gone, family not living with him (right?) and a tremendous contract that must feel like the weight of Mt. Everest.

I don't care how good the guy is, all of that is taking a huge toll IMO. But he will break out of it. I'm not super familiar with baseball, but he's had tons of success and has been able to make adjustments before.
Then explain why Pujols' defense is still very good, gold glove caliber? May be the St. Louis front office and scouting director knew something that the Angels didn't focus upon?
Player Year Team BA RBIs HRs
Pujols2008Cards.35711637
Pujols2009Cards.32713547
Pujols2010Cards.31211842
Pujols2011Cards.2999937
Pujols2012Angels.19450

So before Pujols became an Angel, the previous four years with the Cards show Pujols' batting average (BA) decline and the past three years runs batted in (RBI) were also in the decline, but a much sharper decline. The Pujols Angel has played in 1/6th of the plate appearances that Pujols usually plays. This is not looking good at all. He's lost his swing by either timing, location, bat speed, or a combination.

As for switching leagues, etc... explain Chris Ianetta. He's had to switch leagues as well. And Ianetta comes in replace coach's favorite catcher due to our new GM demanding it. And then there's Kendrys Morales, who has not been playing ball for over a season and half. Kendrys should struggle more than Pujols because he has to re-acclimate to seeing pitches he hasn't seen in a long, long time. Kendrys is hitting .304 this season.

We might think it's the hitting coach. I'm thinking it's the head coach. Sosh wanted Mathis over Napoli. And here's the odd thing about that is we drafted a player in Napoli's mold, that being lots of power, but needs work defensively catching. That player is Hank Conger. Also, Sosh is playing odd favorites to old players not performing such as Abreu and Wells, but sitting out one of the better hitters on the team with Trumbo. Finally, Abreu was released and Trout brought up. That's not the coach's doing, but the GM.

The GM also made a recent trade to shore up the bullpen, and did it smartly for an arm signed through 2017. GM Dipoto traded away 2B Amarista (AAA prospect) and SP prospect in A+. The Angels had just signed Kendrick and Aybar to long term deals recently and Amarista wouldn't be able to find time in the League.

Our org has lost some good coaches in Maddon (Rays' coach), Roenicke (Brewers' coach), and Black (Padres' coach). May be there was a good checks and balances with these previous coaches towards the head coach. Could explain the whole Wells, Mathis stuff because we had a GM that was a puppet to coach Sosh before acquiring Dipoto.

Old
05-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
The Machine showing he is just a human. He will get back but this might end to be statswise his worst season.

First time I bought mlb.tv and they are playing lie this...
Well, at least you got to see Weav pitch an official complete game no hitter. Then you also witnessed our fifth starter, Williams, throw a complete game shut out. And Scott Downs get two saves. But intrigue exists in seeing how Mike Trout can develop, see where Trumbo can find a home, and Kendrys Morales getting back into hitting shape.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Then explain why Pujols' defense is still very good, gold glove caliber? May be the St. Louis front office and scouting director knew something that the Angels didn't focus upon?
Hitting is very mental, whereas defense is very reactionary. Also, he's being paid tons of money to hit home runs and get RBI, not to play gold glove defense. I bet that's reason why there is such a disparity between his hitting and defense.

I agree he's either exiting or possibly not in his prime anymore, but I don't think a player that good would fall off the map completely.

Last edited by Gibson Les Palms: 05-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old
05-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Well, at least you got to see Weav pitch an official complete game no hitter. Then you also witnessed our fifth starter, Williams, throw a complete game shut out. And Scott Downs get two saves. But intrigue exists in seeing how Mike Trout can develop, see where Trumbo can find a home, and Kendrys Morales getting back into hitting shape.
Good points. Though haven't had time to watch every game.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Hitting is very mental, whereas defense is very reactionary. Also, he's being paid tons of money to hit home runs and get RBI, not to play gold glove defense. I bet that's reason why there is such a disparity between his hitting and defense.

I agree he's either exiting or possibly not in his prime anymore, but I don't think a player that good would fall off the map completely.
Oh my goodness! Do you only have selective reading or are you missing all of the other players I have introduce to refute your thinking? Or the stats that show obvious decline? And hitting is reactionary because it's all due to repetition just like fielding. It looks like a high fast ball = don't swing. It looks like down the middle = swing.

I gave you stats that Pujols provided himself. There's a pattern of decline for the past few years. Hence, why the Cards were willing to let him go. He wasn't worth the money any longer, but the Angels were desperate for a big bat and were living in Pujols' high lights. I wouldn't mind if Pujols was like this in year 9 or 10 of his contract, but this is year 1. He's first to the field and last out. Training camp showed this. During preseason, Pujols was doing so well hitting homers and all. So the game ramped up and Pujols hasn't produced. Two reasons: he's either slowing down or they're an injury he's not letting the staff know about.

Old
05-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

Quote:
Oh my goodness! Do you only have selective reading or are you missing all of the other players I have introduce to refute your thinking? Or the stats that show obvious decline? And hitting is reactionary because it's all due to repetition just like fielding. It looks like a high fast ball = don't swing. It looks like down the middle = swing.

I gave you stats that Pujols provided himself. There's a pattern of decline for the past few years. Hence, why the Cards were willing to let him go. He wasn't worth the money any longer, but the Angels were desperate for a big bat and were living in Pujols' high lights. I wouldn't mind if Pujols was like this in year 9 or 10 of his contract, but this is year 1. He's first to the field and last out. Training camp showed this. During preseason, Pujols was doing so well hitting homers and all. So the game ramped up and Pujols hasn't produced. Two reasons: he's either slowing down or they're an injury he's not letting the staff know about.
Whoa, I wasn't trying to argue with you or anything. It's clear we disagree, so I'm just gonna leave it where it's at. Your first response was pretty different than what I was saying anyway.

Edit: Also, couldn't disagree more with you when you say that hitting is reactionary or mostly reactionary. The way you put it is the way you'd look at it in a video game.

Last edited by Gibson Les Palms: 05-05-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
05-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

Trumbo obliterated that ball. Angels were able to exploit Toronto's bad bullpen tonight.

Old
05-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Hockey Duckie

Mike Trout went 2 - 4, with his first homer of the year and stretched a single into a sliding double; 2 RBIs.

Trumbo played first base and went 2 - 4 with a homer as well.

CJ went 8 innings.

Our new bullpen acquisition Friar Frieri (because we got him from the Padres) had an uneasy first batter that he walked. Then proceeded to strike out the next three batters. Wow. And he's signed through 2017, IIRC.

Pujols sat out tonight. The youngin's produced. But maybe the third spot is just jinxed as Torii batted third and had an "oh"fer.

We now are witnessing our two game plans for winning:
1) Our starting pitchers will pitch a complete game
2) Our starting pitchers will pitch into the 8th inning and have a competent closer win it for us.

If Frieri does continue his good pace for the season, then we have at least solidified having a pitcher in the 8th and 9th. Frieri can pitch the ninth and we can move Downs back into the setup role for the 8th inning. I'm hoping Bobby Cassevah comes on strong in the minors or Carpenter steps up to fill in the 7th inning.

Catcher Ianetta is still hurting from being hit by a pitch to his hands so Bobby Wilson has taken up the slack. What I haven't figured out is why no other catcher has been called up? Maybe the injury isn't that dire.

There's a lot of little stories to follow here as we try to climb up in the standings. We are only one game behind the Mariners. So there's that small goal. Then catch up to the A's. Next is to make up ground to qualify for one of the wild card spots. Last is to catch up to the Rangers. We just need to be more consistent at hitting and at pushing the play . Pitching and the bullpen seem to be rounding into good form. But this just means we're following our usual trait as a baseball team. LoL

Old
05-06-2012, 02:38 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Trumbo obliterated that ball. Angels were able to exploit Toronto's bad bullpen tonight.
Yeah, weird to be on the other side of that coin.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

The eagle has landed!

Old
05-06-2012, 04:14 PM
DarthYenik

Please don't let it be another long stretch for the second, Albert.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Hockey Duckie

And the two RBI's by Albert's Homer proved to be the game winner! Odd saying that in an MLB game considering it was very good pitching in the bullpen to preserve the win. Although, in the top of the ninth, we lost Downs to a left knee injury. I was crying out, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo..." while the cameras focused on Jordan Walden in the bullpen after Downs had to be helped off the field. Grateful it was Hawkins.

So the bullpen plan was Frieri in the 8th and Downs in the 9th. Plan looked good until the injury. The silver lining is that we do have Frieri now if Downs needs some time to recover and we play the Twins next (saves aren't needed, i hope). Phew!

Old
05-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Finnpin

Got to watch this when I get back home from work.

Hopefully the monkey now dropped off from Albert's back and now he can start to produce for his money.

Any news how bad Downs injury is?

And this Frieri guy looks like a good addition.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:53 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

Albert should be able to settle in now, but I think the best hitter on the team by years end could be Trumbo. WOW has his overall approach improved, he's a big beast to. I can see him hitting 35 homers and a .900 OPS if he gets everyday AB's

Old
05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Albert should be able to settle in now, but I think the best hitter on the team by years end could be Trumbo. WOW has his overall approach improved, he's a big beast to. I can see him hitting 35 homers and a .900 OPS if he gets everyday AB's
I don't know if Albert has settled down just yet. He went 1-4 with a strikeout and left two on base. He's still not batting well. I'd rather have Pujols bat .320 with a lot a RBI's and no homers than 1 homerun, 7 RBI's, and a BA of .196.

As for Trumbo, he was not being used well until GM Dipoto made the move to release Bobby Abreu. In fact, before Abreu's release, Trumbo would often be benched and in a ninth inning, potential winning situation, coach Sosh puts Callaspo to pinch hit with Trumbo available on the bench. Trumbo is still the best hitter on the team, but with that notion, he was still benched.

Thank goodness the GM forced the hand and now Trumbo is playing more.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
DucksFanDFW

Tonight is the game I was waiting for... and it looks like it might get rained out. I really want to watch Wilson get booed out of the Ballpark in Arlington. The Angels have a pretty good chance as our (Rangers) pitching and defense has been pretty horrid the last week or so.

Old
05-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Got to watch this when I get back home from work.

Hopefully the monkey now dropped off from Albert's back and now he can start to produce for his money.

Any news how bad Downs injury is?

And this Frieri guy looks like a good addition.
:::Update:::

Albert is still not hitting well.

Downs has recovered as he earned a save in last night's game.

As for Friar Frier, he's a Godsend! He already has one save and two helpers, including last night's win against the Rangers with three strikeouts!

Bad news is we lost our starting catcher, Ianetta, for a month or so. Bobby Wilson moves up, but our best catching prospect is also ailing on the DL in AAA. So in comes a prospect I don't know about, Hester. At least he had two hits last night. One more than Pujols.

Also, Vernon Wells was finally benched. So the outfield now has 2/3's of it as the youngings Trout in left and Bourjos in center. Trumbo got to play at first while Pujols DH'ed.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:28 PM
DarthYenik

Glad they benched Wells, but maybe they should also bench Pujols, and give Morales a chance.

Closed Thread