Mathis 4-4 tonight.......really?

Old
06-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Hockey Duckie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Mathis 4-4 tonight.......really?
And as already noted, with a home run! Just Wow. ha ha ha Also, he's batting .235. That's better than our starting catchers Ianetta and Wilson.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:25 PM
DarthYenik

As long as the Angels won I'm okay with Mathis having a great night. For years I was hoping he'd become a good batter, it was nothing personal that he couldn't hit a beachball as an Angel. The only person I might not have respected in that whole situation with Mathis on the Angels the last couple seasons was that Reagins never acquired a better catcher, and Scioscia played him even with other better offensive options, when offense was needed.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
As long as the Angels won I'm okay with Mathis having a great night. For years I was hoping he'd become a good batter, it was nothing personal that he couldn't hit a beachball as an Angel. The only person I might not have respected in that whole situation with Mathis on the Angels the last couple seasons was that Reagins never acquired a better catcher, and Scioscia played him even with other better offensive options, when offense was needed.
I would agree with you to a point. Reagins seemed more or less like puppet GM than a proactive GM like Dipoto. Sosh had his choice of which catcher to retain between Mathis, Wilson, and Napoli. A competent GM would never trade Napoli away with the knowledge that conference rival Texas would eventually grab him. A competent GM would look at the stats and still wouldn't trade away Napoli. Sosh's input carried a lot of weight with the puppet GM Reagins. There shouldn't be any animosity towards Mathis, but may be the pressure put on him due to the Napoli trade and all got to Mathis' performance.

Reagins is gone. In comes Dipoto. What's the first thing he does as a GM? Trade Mathis away for potentially better hitting catcher. Then Abreu wasn't hitting for squat and was out of shape so he was traded away to bring up rookie phenom Mike Trout. Closer Walden was simply terrible STILL. So Dipoto goes out and trades for Frieri.

What's I'm trying to imply is that Sosh's thinking was holding the team back. Sosh loves his veterans Abreu and Wells that he was benching Trumbo often. Sosh really believed that Walden is the closer for the Angels. Yet time after time Walden continued to scare and blow saves. The team was hitting terribly and yet nothing was improved under a 'hands off' GM approach at the beginning of the year. The team's best hitter, Trumbo, was often benched and when he was benched he wouldn't be brought in late game situations either! Mickey Hatcher doesn't make the lineup scorecard, but he's the one that got fired. Trumbo said it was because of Hatcher that his batting awareness has improved along with his OBP.

So being in the dumps, the GM couldn't take it any longer. Abreu was waived (should have been waived mid-season last season) and Trout was called up. Walden was demoted, Frieri was traded for and Sosh's best friend was fired, Hatcher. Then, by some odd circumstances, both Wells and Hunter were not able to play for a certain period of time. That gave Trumbo a lot of playing time and consistent hitting. With Wells destined to return around early July, there's talk of trading Wells because the outfield is already packed with Trumbo, Trout, Hunter, and Borjous. Trumbo and Trout are both hitting over .300 (the only Angels hitting over .300, not including pitcher) and Hunter is hitting .274.

We can say it's Reagin's fault, but it's not only his fault. Sosh is a good coach, but there's no one in the org that would counter some of his decisions because those coaches under him that had that pull left to become head coaches as well. That's three head coaches that have developed from under Sosh. So I'm glad this new GM is proactive and knows that he controls the roster. Reminds me of the movie 'Moneyball' when the GM is asking his coach to play a certain player, but he coach doesn't want to and thus the GM is forced to make a trade for that to happen. heh

Old
06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
DarthYenik

Agreed, with the Moneyball reference.

I've got a bad feeling that Wells will be in the lineup when he gets off the DL, instead of Bourjos, who has been hitting pretty good lately.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:58 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Agreed, with the Moneyball reference.

I've got a bad feeling that Wells will be in the lineup when he gets off the DL, instead of Bourjos, who has been hitting pretty good lately.
I'm hoping he waives his "no trade" clause and approves to be traded. The Doyers might be a team willing to acquire his bat. If the new Doyer owners overpaid for the Doyers team and then separate for the parking area, then I'd be giddy to know they may trade for Wells and his huge contract without asking the Angels org to pay for any of Wells' contract! One can dream, right?

Old
07-01-2012, 08:00 PM
DarthYenik

Four Angels are on the All-star team. Weaver, CJ Wilson, Trout and Trumbo. Trumbo will be participating in the Home Run Derby.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Finnpin

What's wrong with Haren?

Old
07-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
He's just terrible.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
DarthYenik

He can be good. But he's rarely good for an entire season.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Hockey Duckie

Who knows what's exactly wrong with Haren. He's usually good, very good. He's our option 1B. Maybe our pitching coach isn't catching something about Haren's delivery or a slight injury not noticed. Ervin was similar until the pitching staff tweaked his delivery to become a 16 game winner. But Haren isn't like Ervin this year. Ervin is inconsistent. Haren has been consistently bad for his last five to six outings.

Other options are Garrett Richards, but he was blown up in his last start. Let's hope Jerome Williams recovers fast and we can put Haren on the DL and rehab in the minors until he figures out what's wrong.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
Apparently he has back problems.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Hockey Duckie

The Angels have 13 shutouts this season, which leads the league. The MLB average is 5. Also, with a Texas loss, the Angels are only 3.5 games behind the Rangers and are the top wild card. Good pitching can trump good hitting. The run differentials are Texas with +78 and the Angels with a +38.

Lots of movements/adjustment made by the GM Dipoto to turn around this sinking ship fast by releasing old man Abreu to make room for phenom All-Star rookie Mike Trout, trading for bullpen help in Frieri, and the off-season acquisitions of bullpen help Hawkins and today's shutout starter, Mills. Also, the unfortunate (or fortunate) happenstance where both Wells and Torii were unable to be on the team for several weeks helped solidify a spot for the teams leading HR hitter, Trumbo, who is also an all-star this year.

Old
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
DarthYenik

Trumbo in the Home Run Derby today at 4pm PT. Don't forget to watch.

Expect some Trumbombs.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:23 PM
DarthYenik

Trumbo was impressive in the Derby, definitely hit the ball harder than anyone. But lost in a swing off for the final spot in the final against Bautista.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:53 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Angels just acquired Zack Greinke! WOOT.

For Jean Segura (our best prospect) + 2 minor league pitchers.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Better hope he signs.

If he does then that is the best 4 man rotation next year.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:45 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Better hope he signs.

If he does then that is the best 4 man rotation next year.
IF they pickup Haren's option.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
Angels just acquired Zack Greinke! WOOT.

For Jean Segura (our best prospect) + 2 minor league pitchers.
I've always thought Segura was only the best prospect because he was closest to being MLB ready, and really CJ Cron and Kaleb Cowart should be better. I'm glad neither of those two were included.

But wow, what a pick-up. If the offense keeps rolling, this is going to be a hard team to deal with.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

I think shortstops like Segura are a dime a dozen. 3 months of Greinke is easily worth it IMO.

Old
07-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Finnpin

Rangers were thought to be frontrunners on Greinke. Good stuff getting him front of them

Old
07-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
I think shortstops like Segura are a dime a dozen. 3 months of Greinke is easily worth it IMO.
::: Raising one eyebrow ::: That's like saying Aybar is a dime a dozen, except Segura has better pop to his bat.

Anyhow, not losing Borjous or Conger in that deal is awesome! Both those players are not considered propspects due to the # of games played in the MLB/age. Those two players rank higher than Segura. But what made Segura expendable was re-signing Aybar to a long term contract. Segura became trade bait was fellow former prospect Amarista was trade bait when Howie Kendrick was also re-signed to a long contract. Amarista would never get a start here in Angels land, but he's a starting 2B in San Diego right now. Amarista and a high moving, high A class pitcher for Frieri.

But I really think the Angels aim to keep Greinke after this season and part ways with the inconsistent Santana. The reason why the Angels would like to re-sign Greinke is the fact our pitching prospects pool is very, very shallow. We traded away three pitching prospects this year. And I believe all three of them were in our top 20 prospects. The Dan Haren trade took away two top pitching prospects as well as a MLB lefty pitcher. And then tack on, RIP, Nick Adenhart, to the list. Outside from Garrett Richards, there aren't any arms out there with SP capabilities. Also, we just lost Trevor Bell.

So if it's Segura plus two pitcher for longer than 3 months, then Dipoto has worked magic like the time Dipoto grabbed our 1. young southpaw hurler, Joe Saunders, 2. top pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs (ranked #13 overall back in 2010), and two other pitching prospects for Dan Haren.

Old
07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
::: Raising one eyebrow ::: That's like saying Aybar is a dime a dozen, except Segura has better pop to his bat.

Anyhow, not losing Borjous or Conger in that deal is awesome! Both those players are not considered propspects due to the # of games played in the MLB/age. Those two players rank higher than Segura. But what made Segura expendable was re-signing Aybar to a long term contract. Segura became trade bait was fellow former prospect Amarista was trade bait when Howie Kendrick was also re-signed to a long contract. Amarista would never get a start here in Angels land, but he's a starting 2B in San Diego right now. Amarista and a high moving, high A class pitcher for Frieri.

But I really think the Angels aim to keep Greinke after this season and part ways with the inconsistent Santana. The reason why the Angels would like to re-sign Greinke is the fact our pitching prospects pool is very, very shallow. We traded away three pitching prospects this year. And I believe all three of them were in our top 20 prospects. The Dan Haren trade took away two top pitching prospects as well as a MLB lefty pitcher. And then tack on, RIP, Nick Adenhart, to the list. Outside from Garrett Richards, there aren't any arms out there with SP capabilities. Also, we just lost Trevor Bell.

So if it's Segura plus two pitcher for longer than 3 months, then Dipoto has worked magic like the time Dipoto grabbed our 1. young southpaw hurler, Joe Saunders, 2. top pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs (ranked #13 overall back in 2010), and two other pitching prospects for Dan Haren.
Ok, maybe dime a dozen is exaggerating. I'm just saying that even if Segura becomes Aybar with more pop, he is still just a mid level shortstop.

The plan might be to throw big money at Greinke, and to let Haren go if he is continuing to struggle.

Old
07-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
Ok, maybe dime a dozen is exaggerating. I'm just saying that even if Segura becomes Aybar with more pop, he is still just a mid level shortstop.

The plan might be to throw big money at Greinke, and to let Haren go if he is continuing to struggle.
Both Haren and Santana have club options for 2013. Haren will be making $15 and Santana $13 million. The plan better be to sign Greinke due to a lack of starting pitching prospects and Santana being inconsistent. I have no idea why you would want Haren gone before Santana, though.

Last year, Aybar was a gold glove at SS. I'm sure gold glovers are always considered "mid-level" type shortstops. Segura made the all-star futures team this season in AA ball. He was our #1 prospect in our pipeline before we traded him. If Aybar wasn't here, then Segura would have made the jump from AA to MLB, bypassing AAA. But since Aybar's here with a new contract signed, Segura becomes a valuable, moveable asset. As for your assessment of his talent, maybe all the scouts in the Angels org happen to be wrong as well as those scouts for the Brewers because if all they got was 3 minor leaguers that are really "mid-level" like, then they got hosed big time. BTW, did I forget to mention that all three prospects were ranked in the Angels' top 20 prospects?

Last edited by Hockey Duckie: 07-28-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old
07-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Both Haren and Santana have club options for 2013. Haren will be making $15 and Santana $13 million. The plan better be to sign Greinke due to a lack of starting pitching prospects and Santana being inconsistent. I have no idea why you would want Haren gone before Santana, though.

Last year, Aybar was a gold glove at SS. I'm sure gold glovers are always considered "mid-level" type shortstops. Segura made the all-star futures team this season in AA ball. He was our #1 prospect in our pipeline before we traded him. If Aybar wasn't here, then Segura would have made the jump from AA to MLB, bypassing AAA. But since Aybar's here with a new contract signed, Segura becomes a valuable, moveable asset. As for your assessment of his talent, maybe all the scouts in the Angels org happen to be wrong as well as those scouts for the Brewers because if all they got was 3 minor leaguers that are really "mid-level" like, then they got hosed big time. BTW, did I forget to mention that all three prospects were ranked in the Angels' top 20 prospects?
I thought Santana didn't have a contract going in to next season, so thank you for the information.

I like Aybar, and I'm aware that Aybar was a gold glove winner last season. That doesn't change my opinion that he is a mid-level SS. I could easily name 10 SS's I would rather have than Aybar. Winning a gold glove is a great accomplishment, but it is also generally a subjective award.

I'm not saying Segura wont be a good player for a long period of time. I'm saying that it isn't like you are trading a star type player. If Greinke were signed longer, then that deal would not have been close. He's a prospect that was doing well in AA, but we all remember what Brandon Wood did in the minor leagues and when the Angels refused to trade him in packages to bring stars to the team.

Closed Thread