HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Michael Liles...

Old
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Killer Sharkz

vCash: 500
John Michael Liles...

I heard his name being thrown around as possibly being available and thought he would be a good upgrade for the Sharks.

Do you think Wallin + Mitchell + Petricki/1st would be enough?

It would work out salary cap wise.

If not, what do you think the Sharks would have to offer up?

Killer Sharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
one2gamble

I think that would almost be overpaying as much as I would love to get rid of Wallin and Mitchell, I am not even sure what the Sharks would do with Liles in the lineup now that White is here.

I do think Liles would have been a good target though.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
vilpertti

First... and stuff... for Liles?

Is the first thrown in because they take Wallin?

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Killer Sharkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
First... and stuff... for Liles?

Is the first thrown in because they take Wallin?
Yeah basically...plus wih Wallin and Mitchell the cap hit exchange is almost perfect...that was part of my thinking too, if it works cap wise and value wise. My concern was more value wise...would that be enough to get him or would we need to offer more. I am not sure Colorado would take that.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Sharkz View Post
Yeah basically...plus wih Wallin and Mitchell the cap hit exchange is almost perfect...that was part of my thinking too, if it works cap wise and value wise. My concern was more value wise...would that be enough to get him or would we need to offer more. I am not sure Colorado would take that.
the word here is "less". Petrecki and a 1st is overpayment. The rest is a cap dump.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Jesus Toews*

Adding an entirely new defense pairing at the deadline is a bad idea just on the basis of familiarity and turnover rate. Additionally, Liles is completely redundant with Boyle, White and Demers in the lineup. The Sharks need a two-way blueliner who can excel on both sides of the puck. Liles is not that by a longshot. He's also got a sizable cap hit for next season and is getting up there in years.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Adding an entirely new defense pairing at the deadline is a bad idea just on the basis of familiarity and turnover rate. Additionally, Liles is completely redundant with Boyle, White and Demers in the lineup. The Sharks need a two-way blueliner who can excel on both sides of the puck. Liles is not that by a longshot. He's also got a sizable cap hit for next season and is getting up there in years.
Agreed. If anything, the Sharks would be looking to clear cap space.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
wraith985

This ship sailed when Ian White was acquired. There's no reason (and no cap space) for the Sharks to acquire Liles too.

wraith985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Killer Sharkz

I was thinking this was more of a depth move/improving the overall D. Even if he played on the 3rd pairing he would probably be a pretty good upgrade, no? Plus we could try to move him at the draft to cut some salary.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:55 PM

Maybe in the offseason if we dont re-sign White?

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Franchise13

That much turnover in the real world would probably do more harm than good. If the move is for the future, then why trade for white now?

White and Liles makes no sense. Especially at the cost of Petrecki and a 1st.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Pinkfloyd

People are severely underrating Liles' value if you think Wallin, Mitchell, and a 1st even come close to getting him. And Petrecki plus a 1st is also below his value.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

I'd do it

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
sharkbite3
blood in the water

Keep Petrecki. KEEP HIM.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:10 PM
fr4ed2384

How many 5'10" , 190# defensemen does San Jose need ?..
Boyle, White and Liles ,

You think Vlasic and Demers can clear the crease?

against Franzen, Holmstrom, Brown, Getzlaf, Perry, Iginla, Malhotra, Handzus, Smyth.
Check the size of the Kings forwards

You might as well put a picnic basket for these guys next to the crease --since they will be there all game

fr4ed2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50
As much as I would love having Liles on the Sharks, its not going to happen unless Wallin, Vlasic, or both are traded.

Bizz06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
TheSandman

If Liles comes to the Sharks, I'd bet that Demers or Braun would be going back. At this point, I'd rather let Demers and Braun show their stuff in teal.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:39 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
I would have love Liles here before White got here. its an either/or situation. we'd be too small/soft on defense with both here.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Kitten Mittons

I had a dream that Carolina traded Joslin for Liles and this board went ape ****. True story.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
People are severely underrating Liles' value if you think Wallin, Mitchell, and a 1st even come close to getting him. And Petrecki plus a 1st is also below his value.
Liles is alot better than people are giving him credit for. He's a #1.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Liles is alot better than people are giving him credit for. He's a #1.
Well that's overrating him.

Vlasic, b prospect, 1st would do it. And I would personally do it.

Boyle-Murray
Liles-Demers
White-Braun

OK, no we have TOO many puck movers.

Old
02-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

As bad as Colorado has been this season, they are not going to move Liles unless they can acquire someone established in return. Beyond Liles, a relatively unproven Erik Johnson, and Kyle Quincey, who has missed most of the season with injuries and has not regained his 2009-10 form, their defense is a giant question mark. Ryan Wilson has already been asked to play 3 more minutes/game than he did last year, and with Kyle Cumiskey out indefinitely, it's hard to imagine Colorado being willing to put the onus of defensive duties on the 23-year old Wilson and 22-year old Erik Johnson.

Besides, while Colorado is still rebuilding, they are not far away from being a legitimate playoff contender. They have gone 25-27-7 despite serious/season-ending injuries to Kyle Quincey, T.J. Galiardi, Kyle Cumiskey, Tomas Fleischmann, and Peter Mueller, the last of whom still has not played since Rob Blake smashed him into the boards late last season (and conveniently before our playoff series). That accounts for their top defenseman and their two best wingers, among others. Not to mention, they have gotten nothing in terms of goalltending; Craig Anderson was a sieve and has now taken his career backup talents to Ottawa, and Peter Budaj, well, he's Peter Budaj. A healthy Avalanche team with a decent goalie is a playoff team, and I think Colorado management sees that and keeps next year in mind when making deals. Liles is not only a key player, he is also one of the few veterans on a ridiculously young team, having been around in the Forsberg/Sakic era. So I doubt Collorado moves him unless they are overwhelmed.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Kitten Mittons

If you are rebuilding and need a veteran, you don't need one that gets paid 4 million dollars. I totally see them trading him. If we can't re-sign White, I want Liles but without trading Vlasic at that point.

Old
02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
If you are rebuilding and need a veteran, you don't need one that gets paid 4 million dollars. I totally see them trading him. If we can't re-sign White, I want Liles but without trading Vlasic at that point.
The most pressing need for the Avalanche coming into this season was young, high-end talent. They had a lot of very good young players, but besides Paul Stastny, none of them had elite potential. That includes Matt Duchene. Colorado has done wonders with the roster since October, adding a franchise defenseman in Erik Johnson and a young, top-six forward in Tomas Fleischmann. The development of young defensemen like Johnson, Cumiskey (whose skating reminds me of Paul Coffey) and Wilson should improve the defense significantly next year, especially since the useless Adam Foote will finally retire. But replacing Liles' 22 minutes and veteran presence is going to be difficult, which is why they will ask for a fortune in return. 4M through 2012 is hardly a fortune for a team that doesn't have to re-sign Mueller, Duchene, and Johnson until the year after Liles' contract expires.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
The most pressing need for the Avalanche coming into this season was young, high-end talent. They had a lot of very good young players, but besides Paul Stastny, none of them had elite potential. That includes Matt Duchene. Colorado has done wonders with the roster since October, adding a franchise defenseman in Erik Johnson and a young, top-six forward in Tomas Fleischmann. The development of young defensemen like Johnson, Cumiskey (whose skating reminds me of Paul Coffey) and Wilson should improve the defense significantly next year, especially since the useless Adam Foote will finally retire. But replacing Liles' 22 minutes and veteran presence is going to be difficult, which is why they will ask for a fortune in return. 4M through 2012 is hardly a fortune for a team that doesn't have to re-sign Mueller, Duchene, and Johnson until the year after Liles' contract expires.
Duchene doesn't have elite potential? He's a far better player than Stastny is with much higher upside.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote