HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic trade options?

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2011, 12:35 PM
19sharks19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Or just get rid of the members of the org responsible for the mess altogether. I hope I'm wrong, but DW strikes me as someone too proud to admit he made fundamental errors in retooling the team this offseason (and systemic errors in criteria for acquiring players in the past). He needs to go.
You can say that again Tstyles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
They got the Heatley bump last year, now the tape is out there.
Your right, the truth is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
I don't know if they would get rid of the members responsible for the mess. If you look at the team simply as a business and you want to maximize profits then DW has done a good job.
They sell out games and have 4 big name players who are marketable.
Sounds so much like the Toronto Maple Leafs organisation. No matter how they play all season, not an empty seat in the house and, none via give-aways. Every seat is paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Doug will not do anything that has a positive effect on this team
You can say that again Nhock.

Old
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
TexasShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
We won't get max value for them, but we could absolutely get considerable picks, prospects and cap space.
Anything that accelerates the timeline and gives the team an opportunity to redistribute cap $$ to the D would be a step in the right direction. Thornton as the C is unlikely to be moved (this was and still is DW's defining move as a GM to date), Marleau has his NTC and seems very unlikely to waive it. Therefore I suggested Heatley was the most likely to be moved, given his past reputation I imagine there are fewer teams that would go after him, add in his long contract etc and I was looking at the most likely return being another hefty contract but with less time to run.

Adding into that the likelyhood that the sharks make no or little progress into the playoffs and I am assuming that payroll would begin to be brought into question, hence the attractiveness of a contract like Drury's where he is being paid $5M in real $$. The sharks org saves face by still spending at or near the cap while actually saving real $$ during a down year or two (Heatley is getting paid $8M in ral money next year).

I think it's unlikely the sharks can resolve the issues with this group in one offseason, it's going to take a bit longer than that to get things straightened out again.

I also think it's unlikley that Seto isn't getting a raise next year, while his play may not deserve it, he didn't take that cap friendly contract this year without some idea of what he was going to be getting next year (He's on a Wallin type promise from DW I suspect). Plus there are more than a few teams who would likely give Seto an offer sheet (Chicago might if they have enought room to settle the score with DW after this offseason).

Old
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
sjshrky27

Well at least the Sharks are not the only ones struggling. I read that the senators had a brawl at practice this morning. Plus they are on a 6 game loosing streak. Its looking like there going to be sellers.

Perhaps the DW and the sens need to speak about a player swap

Old
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
rangerssharks414

I just read through this whole thread, and I am shocked by some of these trade proposals.

-Nashville won't trade Weber or Rinne, and they probably won't trade Suter. I saw an offer with all three of them. Nashville would be crazy to do that.

-Drury sucks. Please, do not trade for him. He's on the fourth line now, he plays just over 12 minutes a game, and he's done pretty much nothing on offense. He's pretty much a faceoff guy and penalty killer at this point. He also has a cap hit over $7M. Again, don't trade for him.

-The Thrashers aren't going to trade Enstrom, and I doubt they trade Byfuglien. And they are not going to trade Evander Kane. No way.

For the person who asked, McGinn has to clear waivers in order to be sent down, and I'm almost certain he'll be claimed. He's staying with the Sharks unless he gets traded, and his trade value is very low at this point.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I just read through this whole thread, and I am shocked by some of these trade proposals.

-Nashville won't trade Weber or Rinne, and they probably won't trade Suter. I saw an offer with all three of them. Nashville would be crazy to do that.

-Drury sucks. Please, do not trade for him. He's on the fourth line now, he plays just over 12 minutes a game, and he's done pretty much nothing on offense. He's pretty much a faceoff guy and penalty killer at this point. He also has a cap hit over $7M. Again, don't trade for him.

-The Thrashers aren't going to trade Enstrom, and I doubt they trade Byfuglien. And they are not going to trade Evander Kane. No way.

For the person who asked, McGinn has to clear waivers in order to be sent down, and I'm almost certain he'll be claimed. He's staying with the Sharks unless he gets traded, and his trade value is very low at this point.
That one was a joke!

Old
01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Wilson just to do something to give the team a shot in the arm. Even something minor at this point, like bringing Cheech up.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSharkie View Post
Wilson just to do something to give the team a shot in the arm. Even something minor at this point, like bringing Cheech up.
I was sitting at the game last night thinking about this. I mean, is he really worse that most of the skaters out there right now? Seto was brutal last night. It would be a pretty awesome thing for the fans, that's for sure. Too bad cheech isn't eligible to just "bring up"

Old
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
I was sitting at the game last night thinking about this. I mean, is he really worse that most of the skaters out there right now? Seto was brutal last night. It would be a pretty awesome thing for the fans, that's for sure. Too bad cheech isn't eligible to just "bring up"
Yeah, I know. They could sign him to a 2-way deal and pass him through waivers. I'm not 100%, but I doubt he'd be claimed.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post

I agree with you, but never say never. Look at the JT trade.

Improbable, but not impossible

And thanks for the info on McGinn!

Old
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post

And thanks for the info on McGinn!
If his back is really bothering him, put him on IR then send him to Worcester for a conditioning stint.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
nbbyfan20

Yeah, I don't think Nashville will trade Weber or Rinne. Even though Weber is a restricted free agent.

Their in contention, and it seems like their winning most of the games.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Naki

Trade Rick Nash?

Someone in Columbus is on drugs.
If they did trade Nash, I would be ok with Heatley for Nash.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Trade Rick Nash?

hell ya, but throw in wallin, huskins, and seto for good measure

Old
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Well at least the Sharks are not the only ones struggling. I read that the senators had a brawl at practice this morning. Plus they are on a 6 game loosing streak. Its looking like there going to be sellers.

Perhaps the DW and the sens need to speak about a player swap
They can have Heatley back

Old
01-12-2011, 02:48 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Doug Wilson View Post
They can have Heatley back
Funny thing on this is, both Michalek and Heatley played better for their previous squads.

Last edited by 19sharks19: 01-12-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old
01-12-2011, 02:53 PM
fasterthanlight

Quote:
Trade Rick Nash?

Won't happen, but I'd be all over Heatley for Nash.

Old
01-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Nash is a better player than Heatley and is paid less so I don't see why we wouldn't.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Seto, Heatley, Vlasic and a 1st for Enstrom, Hainsey and either A. Stewart or Bergfors (maybe Evander Kane if you think Sharks are giving up too much).
I would seriously do that package from the Sharks for Enstrom if ATL agrees. The guy's beast, gotta spend to get.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

No trades. Tank for Larsson. Sign Pitkanen in the off-season.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
Nash is a better player than Heatley and is paid less so I don't see why we wouldn't.
Nope, his new deal is 7.8m per season.

I would not in fact do that deal. I love Rick Nash, but we don't need to be more top heavy than we already are.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Nope, his new deal is 7.8m per season.

I would not in fact do that deal. I love Rick Nash, but we don't need to be more top heavy than we already are.
Seriously. First of all, there's no way the Jackets deal Nash, but if we're unloading Heatley the best option for a return is young players/prospects and picks.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Naki

What about Sheldon Souray? Is he completely worthless now? Could San Jose afford his cap hit?

edit:
apparently he is hurt and hasn't shown any real drive to be in the NHL. He has played in 15 of 35 possible AHL games.

As a review:
Hes old
has no drive to play or win
is lazy

Sounds like I found our next D man.

Last edited by Naki: 01-12-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old
01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSharkie View Post
Yeah, I know. They could sign him to a 2-way deal and pass him through waivers. I'm not 100%, but I doubt he'd be claimed.
Maybe Cheech doesn't want an AHL contract? If he gets one, he can't get claimed by an NHL team anymore without passing through waivers, right? At least right now he's on the radar.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:56 PM
wtfisthis

I'd take Heatley over Nash but I would rather not have either of them on this team. This team needs defensemen who can pass and shoot more than anything. Hell, I'd take Souray on this team over any of the D currently except Boyle.

Vlasic - Seems like it's his first time playing with a puck every single game, can't pass, can't puck handle, can't shoot, only thing he has going for him is his defensive game.
Murray - Can't do anything well except hit and fire inaccurate slapshots, every time he shoots it's considered a turnover, can't make a tape to tape pass to save his life.
Demers - Not doing much lately but he's been the best out of this group.
Huskins - Can't do any one thing well, kind of like a no power/toughness version of Murray.
Wallin - Just terrible.

The Dmen on this team are so offensively challenged it's ridiculous. I don't know what's the deal with Souray now, but he'd look pretty good in this D group right now which says a lot about the current D situation.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

DarrenDreger
San Jose looked slow last night. D really struggled. Sharks are in the market. Wonder if Phillips as a rental would be considered? NTC.

Closed Thread