HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic trade options?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
If he can get to the net, he will be perfect in the playoffs. Score the dirty goals and call it a day. The issue with him is, how is he going to get to the net if he cant pick up his feet.

Drew even blasted him on air last game. Stated there was something wrong, heater hasnt even been able to get his 1 timers off this season. Honestly, I think Pattys year last season shielded him, gave him space and allowed him to score. Without Patty putting up big numbers, the D doesnt have to give up the space he needs. Regardless, hes flubbing a TON of opportunities. That in itself has to stop, regarldess if the puck goes in or not he cant be flubbing his chances like he is, getting the shot off will create other opportunities.
Agreed. If I were in TM's shoes, I'd give him the Bowman/Holmstrom talk. Give the puck to the other guys and get to the net.

No team is going to have everyone healthy in the playoffs for every game. We see it now. Notice how Patty skipped a couple practices, recently. He was hot as a firecracker and is now cooling. Probably dinged a bit. Seto is picking it up. The thing is that Pavs was hot, got Heatley, and cooled off. And Pavs is getting him one-timers. Not looking so much for his own shot. The thing was that Pavs was getting assists before he got Heatley. Heatley needs to not decrease the productivity of others. When any Shark isn't 100%, they need to find ways to contribute.

I went to penalties drawn/taken for last year vs this year and noticed that Patty and JT are down. I can buy a few more little injuries along the way this year for them. Not so much for Heatley.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
"And, Its pretty obvious Heatley is not unhappy here as well."

Did I miss something here?
No, I don't think so. It's a double negative. sjsharky is saying that it's obvious that Heatley is happy in SJ. Do you disagree?

Old
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Ok, so what would Heatley need to do to justify you to change your mind? Honestly?

The way you post about him you come across with serious prejudice that, if you'll excuse my cynicism, I don't think you'll ever allow to change your mind.

Guy has 130 points in 143 games with the Sharks and 59 goals. People can rag on him all they like but there aren't too many better options out there (that were available) that have done what he has.

Not one ounce of disapproval will change what happened in the past. Isn't it time to move on rather than remain bitter about what could or should have been?
You are making assumptions, and I think I have more than proven my willingness to admit when i was wrong (and happy to do so) when I am. I was ALL over Clowe last year because of his piss poor play and unwillingness to get dirty. Now he's turned it around. He's getting in front of the net, he's hitting, he's forechecking, he's playing some pretty decent defense on top of it. I was right to criticize Clowe, because he was playing like crap for a very long stretch, but he turned it around and I am now very happy he was not traded.

Could Heatley turn it around like Clowe? Sure, anything is possible, and I absolutely hope he does (because it's good for the Sharks, and that is all I care about). However so far I don't see any signs of that, and unlike Clowe he's making way to much money to be ineffective for long stretches.

What do I need to see from Heatley? I'd like to see him skating hard, not coasting around and reaching his stick out as far as he can instead of moving his feet. I'd like to see him taking the body instead of trying to poke check (and failing). Forechecking hard. I'd Like to hear about him spending off-hours at the rink with Joe working on getting his shot/one timer back to where it needs to be. I want to see him making smart unselfish decisions with the puck. Not attempting to deke past 4 defenders all by himself and turning the puck over high, then skating off to the bench leaving his team to cover for his mistakes.

He simply doesn't look committed.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Did I miss something here?
Someone stated Heatley was unhappy in SJ. Im guessing this is pure speculation on there part. It seems to me hes just fine except his numbers are down, so people automatically think theres a problem

That is, unless I missed something...

Old
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
sjshrky27

Hey, why are we not bashing/demanding a trade for Seto anymore????

Oh wait, hes on a hot streak, and scoring goals so nevermind...

Old
02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
KzooShark

Not really a trade option for the Sharks anyway, but what the hell happened to Rivet? Waived today.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post

Well, what Seto is doing now is nothing we haven't seen from him before. He needs to be more consistent, ie. not have long stretches of terrible, before I'd consider him untouchable or give him that huge deal after the discount he took. Remember, for how good he's playing now, there was a longer stretch that included last year where he was awful. I'd still deal him for the right player as he is our biggest chip (in the offseason.) That pretty much goes for any player though. Don't get me wrong, I love the hot streak, and him helping vault the Sharks back to where they should be but I'm trying to keep things level here. One more full season of good/great play and maybe I'll be really optimistic.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
Not really a trade option for the Sharks anyway, but what the hell happened to Rivet? Waived today.
wtf?!?!

Old
02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Well, what Seto is doing now is nothing we haven't seen from him before. He needs to be more consistent, ie. not have long stretches of terrible, before I'd consider him untouchable or give him that huge deal after the discount he took. Remember, for how good he's playing now, there was a longer stretch that included last year where he was awful. I'd still deal him for the right player as he is our biggest chip (in the offseason.) That pretty much goes for any player though. Don't get me wrong, I love the hot streak, and him helping vault the Sharks back to where they should be but I'm trying to keep things level here. One more full season of good/great play and maybe I'll be really optimistic.
Exactly, Seto is still an inconsistent streaky player. At the moment his stock has gone up, so if someone wants to overpay at the deadline, I'm fine with that. But I think DW will not be shopping Seto, but rather be fielding calls regarding him in the next few days and if someone wants to give us incredible return, DW could still pull the trigger.

Otherwise I think the Sharks are standing pat besides a possible deal to send Mitchell out of here for prospects and picks if someone is interested.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Rivet is done. #9 on the Sabres depth chart.

02-23-2011, 12:52 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Hey ... Rivet was number 8 on the depth chart

Fans in Buffalo are collectively saying "it's about time"

Old
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Hey ... Rivet was number 8 on the depth chart

Fans in Buffalo are collectively saying "it's about time"
maybe they want Wallin. If they are into aging defensemen from the Sharks.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Forgive the repeat, i just wanted an opinion from a few sharks fans ...

Sabres fan coming in peace ....
Would the Sharks be interested in Tim Connolly and/or Jochen Hecht? AHL prospects?
If so, what would the Shark give back?
Sabres fans are hunting for a 1st/2nd line center

Old
02-23-2011, 01:27 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:

Would the Sharks be interested in Tim Connolly and/or Jochen Hecht? AHL prospects?
How about a "1st" line winger named Heatley?

Old
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:

The Sharks are done making trades unless it clears up cap space.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
barring injuries, no more trades.
Unless they plan on waiving someone that makes over a mil, they're going to have to trade somebody. DW has expressed interest in a backup. I wouldn't be surprised if both Huskins and Mitchell were sent packing and they got a backup in the process at the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
On top of everthing Le Rosbeef just mentioned, the cap will be going up and the Sharks, just like every other "contender" will need young cheap (read ELC) talent to step into prominent roles. I'm also tiring of the bashing on Heatley, especially talk of his lack of effort and personality issues. Unless you know him, those aren't really things anyone outside of that locker room know for a fact.

While I agree he's been sub par this year, he's still 2nd on the team in scoring and if you check his corsi stats, he's far from the biggest liabilty on the ice. There's also no reason he won't turn it around.

HB, I understand that you were never happy w/ the way he meshed with the team, but he's here and it not likely he's going to be traded anywhere anytime soon.
The cap going up next year is a yes and a no. The cap number will go up but the things you can carry over into the next season will not. Bonuses from ELC's or 35+ or the cases like Willie Mitchell. So the number may go up but it's going to be a lot harder to allow those ELC guys to step in those prominent roles and achieve bonuses because they all count towards the cap next year.

As for Heatley, his effort is easier to gauge than most players. The same with Clowe in the past. Heatley is a net presence player. An interior player. He's not a perimeter player, he's not going to deke through the defense like Kovalchuk. He's a spot shooter and a garbage man. When he's playing outside on the boards, he's not committing to the team. That is exactly what Clowe's problem was when he was God awful for half a season spanning two years. He can turn it around but you bet your ass he is more than deserving of criticism even with his goal and point totals.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

A quick comment about the Sabres and their cap space. Their new owner literally said that he isn't looking to make money on the Sabres, that if he wanted money he'd "go drill for oil."

His overall statements lead me to believe that the Sabres will finally be willing to spend money to keep and gain talent, which doesn't put someone like Heatley out of the realm of possibility.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCB2000 View Post
I think there are still a few issues with the cap geek daily tracker. For instance, in JT or Nichols case the time deducted from time on the payroll should be longer if you look into the CBA. The CBA, section 5.10 (c), says that the time during the duration of the suspension does not count against the cap. If you take the literal translation of the full text JT actually has a 5 day discount and Nichol gets a 15 day discount against the cap.
Not quite. It is true that under 50.10(c) "the Player Salary and Bonuses that are not paid to such Players shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit or against the Players' Share for the duration of the suspension" - but the salary forfeited during s suspension is NOT the players daily salary times the duration in days.

Players are suspended for a certain number of games, not days.

For non-repeat offenders (no previous suspension within past 18 mos), the salary forfeited is one days salary (1/186 annual salary) for each game suspended.

For repeat offenders, the salary forfeited is one games salary (1/82 annual salary) for each game suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 18.3
(b) For the purpose of calculating salary lost due to suspension, the following
formula will apply:
(i) for first offenders (first incident requiring supplementary discipline
in the form of a game suspension), Player to forfeit one (1) day's
Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses, but not including
Performance Bonuses, for each Regular Season Game lost (1/total
number of days in the Regular Season measured from the date of
the League's first Regular Season Game to the last, irrespective of
the Player's team's schedule);

(ii) for repeat offenders (second or more incidents requiring game
suspension), Player to forfeit one (1) NHL Game's Paragraph 1
NHL Salary and Bonuses, but not including Performance Bonuses,
for each Regular Season Game lost (1/number of Regular Season
Games for each Regular Season Game suspended); and

(iii) Player Salary and Bonuses lost due to suspension will be
calculated based on a Player's Averaged Amount, as defined in
Article 50 of this Agreement.
(c) Status as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every
eighteen (18) months, on a rolling basis, i.e., where a Player does not have another
suspension for eighteen (18) months, his next suspension will be treated as a "first"
offense.
Based on reports of salary forfeited - it looks like neither Thornton or Nichols were considered as repeat offenders:

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=549811
Quote:
San Jose forward Scott Nichol has been suspended for four games and will forfeit $16,344.08 in salary for delivering a blow to the head of Phoenix Coyotes defenseman David Schlemko in NHL game #679 yesterday, the National Hockey League announced today.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=542678
Quote:
TORONTO (AP) -San Jose Sharks captain Joe Thornton has been suspended two games under the NHL's new rule on head hits for a shot he made on Blues forward David Perron.
He will be eligible to return Thursday against the New York Islanders. He will forfeit more than $77,000 in salary.
Those numbers correspond to 4 days salary for Nichols ($4,086/day per capgeek) and 2 days salary for Thornton ($38,710/day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGeek View Post
That is not the case -- Thornton and Nichol, deemed first-time offenders, only come off the Sharks' cap for the *day* of the game they're suspended. We explain this in our FAQ. Hope that helps.
Bah - I should have read further and saved all that effort.

That's what I get for falling behind in some of these threads.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
A quick comment about the Sabres and their cap space. Their new owner literally said that he isn't looking to make money on the Sabres, that if he wanted money he'd "go drill for oil."

His overall statements lead me to believe that the Sabres will finally be willing to spend money to keep and gain talent, which doesn't put someone like Heatley out of the realm of possibility.
Yea, Sabres fans are pretty excited about the new owner Terry Pegula. He also said he is "taking the chains off" in regards to scouting,player development and overall treatment of the players (perks). I guess there was a tight budget with the old owner.
We just need to shed about 6 players to be taken "seriously" in the East. Rivet was one of them.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark
wtf?!?!
Yup - Waived today, along with Kotalik (re-entry), Zherdev, Colliton, and Svatos.

Old
02-23-2011, 02:20 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

<-- still doesn't understand San Jose's love affair with Craig Rivet

(well besides him looking like a young Val Kilmer)

Old
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post

Just as puzzling as some fans insistance that Nick Petrecki is still an elite NHL prospect.

Old
02-23-2011, 02:44 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post

Its like the Ehrhoff love affair, but tougher

Old
02-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Just as puzzling as some fans insistance that Nick Petrecki is still an elite NHL prospect.
He is an elite NHL prospect like Wishart.

Old
02-23-2011, 03:35 PM
magic school bus

Quote:

what do you wanna do, trade him for Stafford or Wolski? cuz thats the type of guy we'd get. i'd rather keep Seto.

Closed Thread