HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic trade options?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

vCash: 500
Is Mike Smith worth a look at to backup Niemi, going on re entry waivers?

Old
02-24-2011, 12:06 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Is Mike Smith worth a look at to backup Niemi, going on re entry waivers?
No. Playing alongside Nitty, there was a night and day difference between the two. Nitty with the clear win beating him out in Tampa in a very short period of time. Smith was gifted the #1 spot initially.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No. Playing alongside Nitty, there was a night and day difference between the two. Nitty with the clear win beating him out in Tampa in a very short period of time. Smith was gifted the #1 spot initially.
Still though, is he worse than Hutton? Maybe the Sharks will claim him just so they can send Hutton down and help out Worcester who desperately need goaltending right now.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Still though, is he worse than Hutton? Maybe the Sharks will claim him just so they can send Hutton down and help out Worcester who desperately need goaltending right now.
I haven't seen Hutton. I have 5 goalies on my list where it isn't worth the effort. Smith, McElhinney, LeClaire, Lalime, Budaj. They might help in the A, but it isn't worth the cap dance to do a deal.

If they are looking for someone for Nitty insurance, they need to get someone who has been able to steal a game or two in the last couple of years. I have never seen any of the above ever raise their game in that time period. They are frequently letting in soft goals early that completely deflate their teams.

Old
02-24-2011, 01:17 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I haven't seen Hutton. I have 5 goalies on my list where it isn't worth the effort. Smith, McElhinney, LeClaire, Lalime, Budaj. They might help in the A, but it isn't worth the cap dance to do a deal.

If they are looking for someone for Nitty insurance, they need to get someone who has been able to steal a game or two in the last couple of years. I have never seen any of the above ever raise their game in that time period. They are frequently letting in soft goals early that completely deflate their teams.
Right, but if they think Niitty will be ready for the playoffs, Mike Smith as a backup for the end of the regular season until Niitty is back makes sense. Even if he never plays a game, it allows Hutton to return to Worcester which desperately need him. Sharks simply waive Smith when Niitty returns.

Old
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

The Penguins need a defenseman with Orpik out for over a month...maybe the time to unload one of ours to clear some cap space?

With the additional cap space we could swing a trade for someone like Garon to be our backup?

Old
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
The Penguins need a defenseman with Orpik out for over a month...maybe the time to unload one of ours to clear some cap space?

With the additional cap space we could swing a trade for someone like Garon to be our backup?
Wallin for a conditional autograph. If the pens lose in the first round we get matt cookes autograph, if they get out of the first round we get Crosbys.

That seems like fair value.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Right, but if they think Niitty will be ready for the playoffs, Mike Smith as a backup for the end of the regular season until Niitty is back makes sense. Even if he never plays a game, it allows Hutton to return to Worcester which desperately need him. Sharks simply waive Smith when Niitty returns.
Not even for that purpose. All of those guys are substantially above cap minimum. They force DW to do a cap dance to acquire them. Better to use space or LTIR space for other purposes. If you can find a cheap guy, OK. Lalime would qualify as cheap (650k), and I wouldn't want him to take even one game. Smith is ~$2.0mil.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Not even for that purpose. All of those guys are substantially above cap minimum. They force DW to do a cap dance to acquire them. Better to use space or LTIR space for other purposes. If you can find a cheap guy, OK. Lalime would qualify as cheap (650k), and I wouldn't want him to take even one game. Smith is ~$2.0mil.
Well 1m on re-entry, but ya, I get your point. Still, I won't be surprised if he get's someone. The situation is bad for Worcester, which is bad for the Sharks long term. I also cannot imagine DW betting his backup job on Hutton when he wouldn't bet it on Greiss.

Old
02-24-2011, 05:11 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Well 1m on re-entry, but ya, I get your point. Still, I won't be surprised if he get's someone. The situation is bad for Worcester, which is bad for the Sharks long term. I also cannot imagine DW betting his backup job on Hutton when he wouldn't bet it on Greiss.
The Sharks are one squeaky groin away from going from 3rd to 10th in the conference....we need a backup!

Old
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
The Sharks are one squeaky groin away from going from 3rd to 10th in the conference....we need a backup!
Sorry if this has been answered already (so many posts), but who are some potential targets you have in mind?

Old
02-24-2011, 10:25 PM
The Fuhr*

Talk on the Sens board from who broke the Kovalev deal yesterday that the Sharks have tabled an offer on Chris Campoli
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=350

Have no idea what the Sharks would offer

Old
02-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Talk on the Sens board from who broke the Kovalev deal yesterday that the Sharks have tabled an offer on Chris Campoli

Sharks: Slowly collecting all 6'0ft 190lb defensemen.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Kitten Mittons

Trade Huskins, waive Wallin, get Campoli?

Or is Boyle injury that serious?

Old
02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
anyone else catch that trade segment on NHL Overtime? Michael Leighton to SJ.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post

i call bs. i dont believe DW is targeting Gonchar. he may have a cup ring and plenty of other positives, but the Russian factor..

Last edited by magic school bus: 02-24-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old
02-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
i call bs. i dont believe DW is targeting Gonchar. he may have a cup ring and plenty of there positives, but the Russian factor..
And the 5.5mil cap factor... and two more years factor.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:22 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Trade Huskins, waive Wallin, get Campoli?

Or is Boyle injury that serious?
DP says Boyle is expected to play tomorrow. I don't think Boyle's "injury" is that serious. Wouldn't be surprised to see him with diminished ice time tomorrow and then a few days off though.

I wonder if there is any truth to the Sens board. Really doubt DW wants to add Campoli since DW is so high on Huskins and Wallin and adding Campoli means one or both of those have to go. DW could be offering up Mitchell though.

Mitchell + 4/5 2011 for Campoli?

Mitchell + Huskins + 6th for Campoli?

Not sure I like DW playing it so close to the cap limit. I still remember Calgary icing 15 players a few seasons ago for several games late in the season because D Sutter was out of cap space and had injuries.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:35 PM
TheBrokenRib

Suppose you can't have enough puck movers or PP options for the playoffs.

Demers has really stepped up and shown he can play a solid 2 way game this season which probably gives DW confidence to make another move for a pmd. Maybe, maybe not.

Despite only 14 points or w/e it was Campoli had, he was only a -3 and averaged over 18 minutes. Would be a nice addition imo. Nothing wrong with more depth.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Kitten Mittons

Campoli is a terrible hockey player though. I would honestly prefer Wallin or Huskins. Campoli can't play D at all; nor is his cap that great - just 300k lower than Huskins'.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:03 AM
SactoShork
SYMSL

vCash: 3000
i've watched this play a dozen times and i still can't get over it. The Sharks have really been playing some hard-nosed defensive hockey. This kinda crap would fly in the face of anything the team has accomplished since the turn around...

Old
02-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
02-25-2011, 12:29 AM
niel094

its said that the hardest working player is the best player. torrey mitchell and jamie mcgin are the hardest working and arnt on a roster spot. honestly I would put heatley in the minors for 3 games and call up mitchell and mginn and make sure heatley gets pissed off. than bring heatley back up and watch him rip it up

Old
02-25-2011, 12:40 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel094 View Post
its said that the hardest working player is the best player.
Then Cheech would still be in the NHL. And it doesn't work like that. If you send Heatley down, he'll get claimed.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel094 View Post
its said that the hardest working player is the best player. torrey mitchell and jamie mcgin are the hardest working and arnt on a roster spot. honestly I would put heatley in the minors for 3 games and call up mitchell and mginn and make sure heatley gets pissed off. than bring heatley back up and watch him rip it up
And he'd be claimed.

Closed Thread