HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic trade options?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
  #976
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS
 
Chairman Mallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pacifica / Sec 202
Country: United States
Posts: 15,965
vCash: 500
Is Mike Smith worth a look at to backup Niemi, going on re entry waivers?

Chairman Mallard is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:06 PM
  #977
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Is Mike Smith worth a look at to backup Niemi, going on re entry waivers?
No. Playing alongside Nitty, there was a night and day difference between the two. Nitty with the clear win beating him out in Tampa in a very short period of time. Smith was gifted the #1 spot initially.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
  #978
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No. Playing alongside Nitty, there was a night and day difference between the two. Nitty with the clear win beating him out in Tampa in a very short period of time. Smith was gifted the #1 spot initially.
Still though, is he worse than Hutton? Maybe the Sharks will claim him just so they can send Hutton down and help out Worcester who desperately need goaltending right now.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
  #979
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Still though, is he worse than Hutton? Maybe the Sharks will claim him just so they can send Hutton down and help out Worcester who desperately need goaltending right now.
I haven't seen Hutton. I have 5 goalies on my list where it isn't worth the effort. Smith, McElhinney, LeClaire, Lalime, Budaj. They might help in the A, but it isn't worth the cap dance to do a deal.

If they are looking for someone for Nitty insurance, they need to get someone who has been able to steal a game or two in the last couple of years. I have never seen any of the above ever raise their game in that time period. They are frequently letting in soft goals early that completely deflate their teams.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 01:17 PM
  #980
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I haven't seen Hutton. I have 5 goalies on my list where it isn't worth the effort. Smith, McElhinney, LeClaire, Lalime, Budaj. They might help in the A, but it isn't worth the cap dance to do a deal.

If they are looking for someone for Nitty insurance, they need to get someone who has been able to steal a game or two in the last couple of years. I have never seen any of the above ever raise their game in that time period. They are frequently letting in soft goals early that completely deflate their teams.
Right, but if they think Niitty will be ready for the playoffs, Mike Smith as a backup for the end of the regular season until Niitty is back makes sense. Even if he never plays a game, it allows Hutton to return to Worcester which desperately need him. Sharks simply waive Smith when Niitty returns.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
  #981
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn
 
USF Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 20,603
vCash: 500
The Penguins need a defenseman with Orpik out for over a month...maybe the time to unload one of ours to clear some cap space?

With the additional cap space we could swing a trade for someone like Garon to be our backup?

USF Shark is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
  #982
Naki
Registered User
 
Naki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
The Penguins need a defenseman with Orpik out for over a month...maybe the time to unload one of ours to clear some cap space?

With the additional cap space we could swing a trade for someone like Garon to be our backup?
Wallin for a conditional autograph. If the pens lose in the first round we get matt cookes autograph, if they get out of the first round we get Crosbys.

That seems like fair value.

Naki is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
  #983
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Right, but if they think Niitty will be ready for the playoffs, Mike Smith as a backup for the end of the regular season until Niitty is back makes sense. Even if he never plays a game, it allows Hutton to return to Worcester which desperately need him. Sharks simply waive Smith when Niitty returns.
Not even for that purpose. All of those guys are substantially above cap minimum. They force DW to do a cap dance to acquire them. Better to use space or LTIR space for other purposes. If you can find a cheap guy, OK. Lalime would qualify as cheap (650k), and I wouldn't want him to take even one game. Smith is ~$2.0mil.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
  #984
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Not even for that purpose. All of those guys are substantially above cap minimum. They force DW to do a cap dance to acquire them. Better to use space or LTIR space for other purposes. If you can find a cheap guy, OK. Lalime would qualify as cheap (650k), and I wouldn't want him to take even one game. Smith is ~$2.0mil.
Well 1m on re-entry, but ya, I get your point. Still, I won't be surprised if he get's someone. The situation is bad for Worcester, which is bad for the Sharks long term. I also cannot imagine DW betting his backup job on Hutton when he wouldn't bet it on Greiss.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 05:11 PM
  #985
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn
 
USF Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 20,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Well 1m on re-entry, but ya, I get your point. Still, I won't be surprised if he get's someone. The situation is bad for Worcester, which is bad for the Sharks long term. I also cannot imagine DW betting his backup job on Hutton when he wouldn't bet it on Greiss.
The Sharks are one squeaky groin away from going from 3rd to 10th in the conference....we need a backup!

USF Shark is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
  #986
rangerssharks414
Registered User
 
rangerssharks414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 12,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
The Sharks are one squeaky groin away from going from 3rd to 10th in the conference....we need a backup!
Sorry if this has been answered already (so many posts), but who are some potential targets you have in mind?

rangerssharks414 is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 10:25 PM
  #987
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Talk on the Sens board from who broke the Kovalev deal yesterday that the Sharks have tabled an offer on Chris Campoli
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=350

Have no idea what the Sharks would offer

The Fuhr* is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 10:31 PM
  #988
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Talk on the Sens board from who broke the Kovalev deal yesterday that the Sharks have tabled an offer on Chris Campoli
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=350

Have no idea what the Sharks would offer
Sharks: Slowly collecting all 6'0ft 190lb defensemen.

Franchise13 is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
  #989
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,763
vCash: 500
Trade Huskins, waive Wallin, get Campoli?

Or is Boyle injury that serious?

Kitten Mittons is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
  #990
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,882
vCash: 141
anyone else catch that trade segment on NHL Overtime? Michael Leighton to SJ.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
  #991
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,882
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Talk on the Sens board from who broke the Kovalev deal yesterday that the Sharks have tabled an offer on Chris Campoli
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=350

Have no idea what the Sharks would offer
i call bs. i dont believe DW is targeting Gonchar. he may have a cup ring and plenty of other positives, but the Russian factor..


Last edited by magic school bus: 02-24-2011 at 11:07 PM.
magic school bus is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 11:03 PM
  #992
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
i call bs. i dont believe DW is targeting Gonchar. he may have a cup ring and plenty of there positives, but the Russian factor..
And the 5.5mil cap factor... and two more years factor.

Kitten Mittons is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 11:22 PM
  #993
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 9,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Trade Huskins, waive Wallin, get Campoli?

Or is Boyle injury that serious?
DP says Boyle is expected to play tomorrow. I don't think Boyle's "injury" is that serious. Wouldn't be surprised to see him with diminished ice time tomorrow and then a few days off though.

I wonder if there is any truth to the Sens board. Really doubt DW wants to add Campoli since DW is so high on Huskins and Wallin and adding Campoli means one or both of those have to go. DW could be offering up Mitchell though.

Mitchell + 4/5 2011 for Campoli?

Mitchell + Huskins + 6th for Campoli?

Not sure I like DW playing it so close to the cap limit. I still remember Calgary icing 15 players a few seasons ago for several games late in the season because D Sutter was out of cap space and had injuries.

ChompChomp is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 11:35 PM
  #994
TheBrokenRib
Registered User
 
TheBrokenRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Suppose you can't have enough puck movers or PP options for the playoffs.

Demers has really stepped up and shown he can play a solid 2 way game this season which probably gives DW confidence to make another move for a pmd. Maybe, maybe not.

Despite only 14 points or w/e it was Campoli had, he was only a -3 and averaged over 18 minutes. Would be a nice addition imo. Nothing wrong with more depth.

TheBrokenRib is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 11:36 PM
  #995
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,763
vCash: 500
Campoli is a terrible hockey player though. I would honestly prefer Wallin or Huskins. Campoli can't play D at all; nor is his cap that great - just 300k lower than Huskins'.

Kitten Mittons is online now  
Old
02-25-2011, 12:03 AM
  #996
SactoShork
SYMSL
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 10,150
vCash: 3000
i've watched this play a dozen times and i still can't get over it. The Sharks have really been playing some hard-nosed defensive hockey. This kinda crap would fly in the face of anything the team has accomplished since the turn around...


SactoShork is offline  
Old
02-25-2011, 12:13 AM
  #997
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 37,006
vCash: 500

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
02-25-2011, 12:29 AM
  #998
niel094
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
its said that the hardest working player is the best player. torrey mitchell and jamie mcgin are the hardest working and arnt on a roster spot. honestly I would put heatley in the minors for 3 games and call up mitchell and mginn and make sure heatley gets pissed off. than bring heatley back up and watch him rip it up

niel094 is offline  
Old
02-25-2011, 12:40 AM
  #999
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by niel094 View Post
its said that the hardest working player is the best player.
Then Cheech would still be in the NHL. And it doesn't work like that. If you send Heatley down, he'll get claimed.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
  #1000
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by niel094 View Post
its said that the hardest working player is the best player. torrey mitchell and jamie mcgin are the hardest working and arnt on a roster spot. honestly I would put heatley in the minors for 3 games and call up mitchell and mginn and make sure heatley gets pissed off. than bring heatley back up and watch him rip it up
And he'd be claimed.

Mafoofoo is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.