HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic trade options?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Jesus Toews*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I don' think the asking price is going to be all that much, likely a prospect or a pick. The only way a roster player goes to Carolina is if the Sharks need to clear cap space to make it happen.

I could see something like Joslin + 2nd/3rd, if the Sharks could fit Joni under the cap
The Hurricanes are trying to (and have a very good shot at) making the playoffs. No way they trade their #1 defenseman at the deadline, regardless of whether or not they can sign him in the offseason. Also there's no incentive for the Sharks to do this as Pitkanen will likely depart in the summer.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Too busy to search through the entire thread..But has anyone mentioned Seabrook?...Why couldn't DW work this one out??

Old
01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
Too busy to search through the entire thread..But has anyone mentioned Seabrook?...Why couldn't DW work this one out??
Offer sheeting Seabrook (and thereby preventing them from signing Brouwer or Kopecy or Crawford) would be pretty hilarious. Fact of the matter, though, is he isn't going anywhere.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
As it gets closer to the deadline, we will know which teams are on the bubble and which are out of it. Bubble teams almost never trade key players even if they are going to be UFAs. IMO, the Hawks will be a bubble team at the deadline, therefore Seabrook won't be on the market. Same rationale for Carolina and Pitkanen. Most deadline trades are for picks and marquis names might get younger players or prospects in return (eg Kovalchuk) in addition. It is very rare for a deadline deal to include a salary dump in the deal itself. Dumps are usually to injury riddled, out-of-the-playoff picture teams where there is a sweetener thrown in by the dumping team.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
As it gets closer to the deadline, we will know which teams are on the bubble and which are out of it. Bubble teams almost never trade key players even if they are going to be UFAs. IMO, the Hawks will be a bubble team at the deadline, therefore Seabrook won't be on the market. Same rationale for Carolina and Pitkanen. Most deadline trades are for picks and marquis names might get younger players or prospects in return (eg Kovalchuk) in addition. It is very rare for a deadline deal to include a salary dump in the deal itself. Dumps are usually to injury riddled, out-of-the-playoff picture teams where there is a sweetener thrown in by the dumping team.
Seabrook is an RFA anyway so there was no way he was getting dealt regardless of the Hawks' position. Honestly, they've got some cap space to work with next year surprisingly enough so unless someone signs Seabrook to an offer sheet that merits the highest compensation, there's no way they let him go. He's been better than Keith this year. I do think he'd be an ideal partner for Vlasic but that's a pipe dream at this point.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Seabrook is an RFA anyway so there was no way he was getting dealt regardless of the Hawks' position. Honestly, they've got some cap space to work with next year surprisingly enough so unless someone signs Seabrook to an offer sheet that merits the highest compensation, there's no way they let him go. He's been better than Keith this year. I do think he'd be an ideal partner for Vlasic but that's a pipe dream at this point.
RFA means what you think, no way. Plus the Hawks can pull a team arbitration to even cut down the chance of an offersheet if it looks like a salary dispute is in the works.

Just as a benchmark, 8 points out at the deadline is just about the cut point between bubble and out of it.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:28 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Seabrook is good Doug wants crappy Defense.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Diagonaali

Quote:
The Hurricanes are trying to (and have a very good shot at) making the playoffs. No way they trade their #1 defenseman at the deadline, regardless of whether or not they can sign him in the offseason. Also there's no incentive for the Sharks to do this as Pitkanen will likely depart in the summer.
You might be 100% correct here, we'll see in a couple of weeks how it all goes around and how they evaluate it in the Raleigh office come deadline time. It would be hilarious to see Hiller-Lydman-Pitkänen against Sharks after your comment.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagonaali View Post
You might be 100% correct here, we'll see in a couple of weeks how it all goes around and how they evaluate it in the Raleigh office come deadline time. It would be hilarious to see Hiller-Lydman-Pitkänen against Sharks after your comment.

As Easy said, bubble teams usually don't trade key players regardless of impending UFA status. And there is no way in hell Carolina is any lower than 9th at the deadline. The dropoff in the East is that bad. IMO the Canes will make the playoffs over either the Rangers or Habs.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

DW said there won't be any trades if the Sharks don't get their crap together.

Youth Movement Tally Ho...
Old
01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Which is absolutely the right way to go and I'm glad he said that. Selling what little is left of the farm for another deadline flop that has no chance of getting this team over the hump is obviously not the answer.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Which is absolutely the right way to go and I'm glad he said that. Selling what little is left of the farm for another deadline flop that has no chance of getting this team over the hump is obviously not the answer.
A crappy reality, but I agree. And I hate to say it, but I hope he sticks to his guns "if" the Sharks can't get it going soon. I have a hunch it will be much harder for DW to do it than say it.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
It has always been said by the suits and the players that deadline deals are a signal to the team of the front office commitment to the playoffs and belief in their own players. Not attempting to make a trade at the deadline is a strong signal to the players about the front office evaluation of the team.

From a logical/strategic viewpoint, not making a deadline trade would be the best move for the Sharks. Their prospect pool is depleted. Their team is underperforming. In this respect, DW keeping his word is the right thing to do. The only deals should be for long-term solutions.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Based on the criteria on which Doug Wilson has targeted defencemen for acquisition in the past, I can conclude the most likely target is:

Brett Lebda!

After all, he's the next Chris Chelios. And he's underplayed/under-appreciated. And he has a cup ring. That's basically every box on the DW "what makes a desirable d-man" checklist. Well, except that he's not 30+, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Quote:
While growing up in suburban Chicago, Lebda considered Chelios an idol, and modeled his game after his.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Lebda

Lebda and a 5th for Setoguchi and a 2nd!

Old
01-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Based on the criteria on which Doug Wilson has targeted defencemen for acquisition in the past, I can conclude the most likely target is:

Brett Lebda!

After all, he's the next Chris Chelios. And he's underplayed/under-appreciated. And he has a cup ring. That's basically every box on the DW "what makes a desirable d-man" checklist. Well, except that he's not 30+, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Lebda

Lebda and a 5th for Setoguchi and a 2nd!
I was thinking Montador but Lebda would be even worse/more plausible.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Didn't he say the opposite though?

Old
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I recall a little ago he said something to the effect that if certain players don't start showing the effort they should expect there will be some changes.

Today in the second Brodie interview when asked about acquiring a D man, he said something like, "You have to have this team firing on all cylinders for a trade to even make sense."

FWIW

Old
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Yeah, either that or members of the team said that they would be uncertain of their place of employment if the team didn't get it together.

However, I think what was meant was that DW won't do deadline type deals if the team's play doesn't warrant it. He will do long-term deals if he is addressing the problems that are causing issues with the team's play. It pretty much rules out the deadline type stuff if the team isn't performing (picks for player) but he might do a player for player swap (non-deadline type) around the deadline.

What is lost in all of this is that TM's contract is up at the end of the season. I haven't heard any words about an extension. If the Sharks don't turn it around, I believe that there will be a harder evaluation at season's end than has happened in years past. That eval will include DW and TM.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Yeah, either that or members of the team said that they would be uncertain of their place of employment if the team didn't get it together.

However, I think what was meant was that DW won't do deadline type deals if the team's play doesn't warrant it. He will do long-term deals if he is addressing the problems that are causing issues with the team's play. It pretty much rules out the deadline type stuff if the team isn't performing (picks for player) but he might do a player for player swap (non-deadline type) around the deadline.

What is lost in all of this is that TM's contract is up at the end of the season. I haven't heard any words about an extension. If the Sharks don't turn it around, I believe that there will be a harder evaluation at season's end than has happened in years past. That eval will include DW and TM.
With the team the sharks have what coaching options are out there? assuming the sharks miss the playoffs TM would be out.
Could DW fire TM to try to save his job by putting the blame on someone other than himself?

Old
01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
With the team the sharks have what coaching options are out there? assuming the sharks miss the playoffs TM would be out.
Could DW fire TM to try to save his job by putting the blame on someone other than himself?
Only about 1/4 of the blame should fall on DW. That is he failed to aquire a 4th top 4 to play with Boyle, Murray,Vlassic. And he resigned Wallin to an outragous contract. Still only 1/4

He gave TM 2 goalies to play as i believe TM does NOT have confidence in Griess. He provided him with 7 top 6 players (Seto is now considered a top 6). He gave him all the players needed for another cup run.

This is where the blame becomes TM. he hasnt shown consistensy, he hasnt shown motivation. He hasnt shown a system that works (other then 20 games his first season, then everyone caught on), he hasnt been able to handle line combos. he has missued the goalies (especially the 2 presvious years). this man is not fit to coach a cup contender. He hasnt held players accountable. i honestluy hope the sharks lose tonight, so that hes gone

Old
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Yes, most definitely. And somehow I think SVSE will let DW rebuild if it comes to that.

Coaching options in the offseason, I'm sure there will be plenty. If TM is fired, you can count on me to start the Mike Haviland train again, but this time with even more going in Havi's favor than when TM was hired.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Naki

I guess what I meant was Could DW fire TM mid season(Tomorrow?) to try to put more of the blame on someone else?

Old
01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
I guess what I meant was Could DW fire TM mid season(Tomorrow?) to try to put more of the blame on someone else?
How would that make DW look better? He hired the man for example. Firing a coach mid-season is not gonna make anyone look better.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Naki

Quote:
How would that make DW look better? He hired the man for example. Firing a coach mid-season is not gonna make anyone look better.
He could say that it was clear that TM had lost the team and was not able to coach them to a level that is expected of a team with this talent. Basically he puts the blame for this season on TM before the season is over.
If the team turns it around with someone else as the coach it only helps DW since it would look like changing coaches would made the team better.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
He could say that it was clear that TM had lost the team and was not able to coach them to a level that is expected of a team with this talent. Basically he puts the blame for this season on TM before the season is over.
If the team turns it around with someone else as the coach it only helps DW since it would look like changing coaches would made the team better.
I think it is absolutely possible. DW is a no nonsense kind of guy and firing a coach for a total failure of a season is entirely understandable.

Will he? Who knows.

Closed Thread