HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Kevin Bieksa Discussion

Old
11-28-2010, 12:44 AM
tututooter21

vCash: 500
Kevin Bieksa Discussion

When Salo comes back many people think Bieksa will get traded, but who will we get. Who do you think we will get and who do you want us to get?

tututooter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:06 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

We get a sigh of relief.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:07 AM
a pony

A roster spot

a pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:21 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
1st round draft pick from an Eastern conference contender. Weak draft year.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Anodyne

A clinically depressed coach.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:45 AM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

At this point I have no idea. We trash him so much that it's nearly impossible to have a rational analysis. Even the most rational of us have a rather crap opinion of him. I assume it would be more than we think, but less than his few fans would hope.

The big question is, who would you want in return if it were a rational trade.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:45 AM
JuniorNelson

Salo won't displace anybody. Parent is better than a thirty six year old (in his self-avowed final year), who thought he wasn't going to be walking any more.

Salo and AHL prospects are all Vancouver can spare.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:57 AM
Hammer79

I think Bieksa finishes out the year for the Canucks. I don't see MG moving his only leverage against Ehrhoff's contract demands, and Salo probably retires at the end of the season anyway, freeing up room for next year's cap.

Salo isn't really as close to returning as some fans would like to believe. What a lot of fans would like to believe is mid-December to early-January, but at this point that's pretty unlikely. If anything, fans should be worried about whether he ever plays again, let alone returning in January. He says that he hasn't had any setbacks, so at least that is good news.

Quote:
"I'm not going to risk the rest of my life limping," stressed Salo. "There's no point of coming back for five games and being done for my life."

"I could barely move and now I can do light jogging," he said. "I can walk up and down stairs normally. I was wondering if I'd be able to walk anymore.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Sa...574/story.html

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:07 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
I don't see MG moving his only leverage against Ehrhoff's contract demands
Gillis doesn't seem to have had problems re-signing pending UFAs - at least ones he wants to keep (eg., Sedins, Luongo, etc.,). He makes mistakes but re-upping needed players doesn't seem to be one of them.

If he keeps Bieksa around - it'll be for immediate team needs rather than 'leverage' - IMHO. And seeing as Bieksa is also a pending UFA, one has to wonder just how good he'd be as leverage anyhow.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:12 AM
David71

can Salo just announce his retirement already? or wait until season's end. IMO, there's No point in him coming back anymore. He'll get reinjured again.. if he returns for like 3-5 games. fragile salo.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:26 AM
Bougieman

Bieksa is going NOWHERE. We may as well get used to him.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Wetcoaster

If Salo comes back before the trade deadline and Bieksa is traded (assuming no other large contract is on the LTIR), the Canucks need prospects or picks who do not impact the salary cap for this season.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Bieksa is going NOWHERE. We may as well get used to him.
when salo is back, yes he is, the cap space forces us to move somebody, and he is the ideal person to go. (Also throw in the fact he does not have a NTC)

The only way he stays, is if somebody gets hurt, or salo has another huge set back.

Last edited by Lucbourdon: 11-28-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:21 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

If or when Bieksa gets traded I think everybody will be surprised what he brings, I'm thinking a prospect + at least a 2nd round pick maybe more

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:28 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
If or when Bieksa gets traded I think everybody will be surprised what he brings, I'm thinking a prospect + at least a 2nd round pick maybe more
I'm a Bieksa supporter, but I don't think he's worth that much. Keep in mind that he's a UFA at the end of this year. If he had another year at $3.5 million, then we're talking.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:40 AM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Boys lets get it used to it. Bieksa is the square peg that the Canucks are going to force into the triangle peg hole. His offensive upside, for whatever reason, is why we still have him. Hes a quality person in the locker room and wont be going anywhere. We should be talking about extentions now and what we can resign him for, cheap. He has made his money, time to sign him long term to be our bottom pairing.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:48 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged666 View Post
Boys lets get it used to it. Bieksa is the square peg that the Canucks are going to force into the triangle peg hole. His offensive upside, for whatever reason, is why we still have him. Hes a quality person in the locker room and wont be going anywhere. We should be talking about extentions now and what we can resign him for, cheap. He has made his money, time to sign him long term to be our bottom pairing.
He is a pending UFA why would he sign for that sort of money?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:52 AM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
He is a pending UFA why would he sign for that sort of money?
Because his bud Rypien will go ape **** and murder everyone he loves and knows? This pends on the fact that Van resigns Rypien however.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:55 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged666 View Post
Because his bud Rypien will go ape **** and murder everyone he loves and knows? This pends on the fact that Van resigns Rypien however.
Bieksa has too much self belief to take a miserable bottom pairing contract. I'd be surprised if Rypien comes back and is resigned.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
If Salo comes back before the trade deadline and Bieksa is traded (assuming no other large contract is on the LTIR), the Canucks need prospects or picks who do not impact the salary cap for this season.
This. The Canucks will be needing to shed salary if/when Salo returns, and Bieksa is likely the odd man out when that occurs.

The plus side here is he has been solid this season thus far, albeit he hasn't shown the offensive touch he's been known for in the past. But the Canucks will likely try to get some picks/prospects for him. Could be a good deadline rental, even if Salo isn't ready to go by that point. Rome can fill in on the bottom pairing nicely enough, and Parent is decently cast as a 7th D-Man.

If Salo is expected back this season, I'd be stunned if Bieksa isn't moved by the deadline.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Shareefruck

4th line center! 4th line center!!

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
ddawg1950

I think Bieksa is gone before the trade deadline. And I'd like to see a bona fide D prospect in return. And by that I mean someone who would be ready to make our team next year.

As to resigning Bieksa, well pigs will fly...

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Bleach Clean

Waiting until the deadline (roughly) will get you picks and/or prospects from playoff teams looking for a boost. Bieksa can garner this much. I've seen too many high premium trades for marginal assets at the deadline to think otherwise. Someone will pay the price, so I'm not fretting the return.

As for targets:

- If we had the cap space this year (which we don't), but if we did, Matt Moulson is the type of player this team could really use. He's the winger that will drive the net and wreak havoc on opposing goaltenders. His game is simple and direct. As it stands, he's UFA at the end of the year, and if he doesn't re-sign, I'd like Gillis to target him. Right now, can't make it work because of lack of cap space.

- Max Pacioretty out of MTL would be a good prospect to target. As well as, Max Lapierre. On the surface, if the Canucks pulled off something like:

Bieksa (signed to an extention with MTL) and Rypien =
1st rndr (conditional on Bieksa signing extention), Max Pacioretty, and Max Lapierre

The team gets a late first in a very weak draft year (if reports are to be believed), a prospect who has _never_ scored much at _any_ level and does not want to play the bottom 6 role to earn ice, but does bring versatility nonetheless, and a 4th line player on this team. Its a return that could see no reward long-term. Prospects coming up could push Lapierre off the roster in coming years, and keep Pacioretty off. None are sure pieces to stay with the team long-term. And Montreal, for all the hate Bieksa gets, gets the best player in the deal signed for long-term.

I know the tendency on HFboards is to prop the prospects and draft picks over proven NHL'ers. It seems that what "could" be is favoured over what _is_. That's why you see mind-boggling analysis stating Pacioretty will be better than Moulson, and things of that ilk. The fact is, if the Canucks were offered that package from Montreal and NYI offered Moulson --> Cap aside, you take Moulson every time. He is sure to be useful, while the other pieces are not. And this is a contending team that needs help now.

For Montreal, Bieksa brings a long-term solution. Seeing as the pick is conditional on Bieksa signing an extention, they get what they pay for. No extention, no pick. Anyways, the fighting aspect of that team jumps up a great deal. Rypien will go with anyone. Bieksa less so, but we know he can take care of things. Right shot, gritty, sometimes nasty in the postseason, PP capable, puck-mover.

The Canucks paid a 1st in a better draft year, a prospect with question marks, and Steve Bernier for a signed Ballard and a 4th liner. This deal seems really similar. And to be sure, the situations aren't that different. Markov's future is uncertain, both health and contract wise. Hall gill and Hamrlik are gone at the end of the year. It's likely that Subban and Bieksa get the lion's share of icetime next season. For a mainstay like that, the package doesn't seem out of place, just as it didn't for Ballard when he was acquired.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:28 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
The Canucks can afford to take some salary back. Inserting someone new in the lineup will necessarily bump someone down (roster limit), and that displacement of salary allows a couple million in breathing room.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:31 AM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Salo won't displace anybody. Parent is better than a thirty six year old (in his self-avowed final year), who thought he wasn't going to be walking any more.

Salo and AHL prospects are all Vancouver can spare.

Have you ever watched a Canuck game ?

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote