HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

North American Hockey Association (Waiting List Open!!)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2011, 12:34 AM
  #76
The Instigator
HFBoards Sponsor
 
The Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
But if we're saying I came first, when the 2nd expansion team drafts can they pick from mine.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:34 AM
  #77
habsman56
Habs&Hoops
 
habsman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,986
vCash: 500
Having teams pick anything other than 1 player at a time will make it incredibly unfair. It shouldn't be too hard with only 4 teams..

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
  #78
johnnydollaz89*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
the table keeps getting messed up on my laptop so i will not be making one im sorry

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:37 AM
  #79
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,998
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I honestly am not sure how the expansion draft will work yet. One thing I do no for sure is if we do the intervals of 5 it will be a fixed order and not a snake order.

I was thinking of randomly selecting the order. Say Quebec gets the first pick. They make their 20 picks, then the next team makes their 20 picks. So it's like each team came into the league at a different time. I think I am liking this idea more.
This is more decent, but there should be certain limitations on the type of players each team could pick. Even though there is a salary cap in place, the expansion teams could come out pretty stacked if they play their cards right. Also, each expansion team should only be able to take 1 player from a team throughout the entire draft. Not sure if this is what you meant in the original rules, but that makes it most fair for the the non-expansion teams as far as how many players they can lose.

As for other limitations, maybe something along the lines of these:

If a current NHL team blocks equal to or greater than two defenseman, only 1 defenseman can be picked from their current roster. If they block less than two defenseman, only 2 max d-men can be taken off their roster.

These kinds of limitations will help from the current NHL teams from completely being depleted of their depth in certain areas.

Also, although it may be very subjective to judge, the expansion teams should be limited as to what type of players they pick. For example, only 6 top 6 players, etc. I know these kinds of rules make it more complicated, but, IMO it makes it more fair because an expansion GM could totally own if they do it right.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:40 AM
  #80
The Instigator
HFBoards Sponsor
 
The Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Not really. Expansion teams will be deep, but every other team has 6 superstars, while we have none.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:42 AM
  #81
habsman56
Habs&Hoops
 
habsman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,986
vCash: 500
Expansion teams really won't be that great.. they'll have the depth, like Ovechkin said, but they won't have the top 6/top defending/top goalie the other team's do...

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:43 AM
  #82
stempniaksen
Registered User
 
stempniaksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,824
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin007 View Post
Not really. Expansion teams will be deep, but every other team has 6 superstars, while we have none.
Just because they can keep 6 players won't mean they will all be superstars though. Heck, some teams still won't have any.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:45 AM
  #83
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,878
vCash: 1263
If the expansion teams pick carefully and take time to see which 6 players each team protected, they might be able to end up with a pretty good team.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:45 AM
  #84
habsman56
Habs&Hoops
 
habsman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Just because they can keep 6 players won't mean they will all be superstars though. Heck, some teams still won't have any.
Well, look at some of the bottom teams. Florida for example:

Tomas Vokoun, David Booth, Stephen Weiss are better than mostly anybody that the expansion teams will get in the draft.

Even Toronto has Phil Kessel, Tomas Kaberle, Dion Phaneuf, Luke Schenn, that the expansion teams won't have.

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:46 AM
  #85
habsman56
Habs&Hoops
 
habsman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Eight View Post
If the expansion teams pick carefully and take time to see which 6 players each team protected, they might be able to end up with a pretty good team.
Expansion teams COULD get good teams, especially with people using this as a chance to get rid of bad contracts.

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:48 AM
  #86
The Instigator
HFBoards Sponsor
 
The Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Ie. Gomez lol

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:49 AM
  #87
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin007 View Post
But if we're saying I came first, when the 2nd expansion team drafts can they pick from mine.
If that is the drafting method that we are using no. Expansion teams cannot pick players from other expansion teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsman56 View Post
Having teams pick anything other than 1 player at a time will make it incredibly unfair. It shouldn't be too hard with only 4 teams..
I understand your reasoning, and there could be the potential of teams to come out unfair. However, I am not doing a full on draft. That draft would wind up be twenty rounds, and even with 4 teams that could still take a really long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
This is more decent, but there should be certain limitations on the type of players each team could pick. Even though there is a salary cap in place, the expansion teams could come out pretty stacked if they play their cards right. Also, each expansion team should only be able to take 1 player from a team throughout the entire draft. Not sure if this is what you meant in the original rules, but that makes it most fair for the the non-expansion teams as far as how many players they can lose.

As for other limitations, maybe something along the lines of these:

If a current NHL team blocks equal to or greater than two defenseman, only 1 defenseman can be picked from their current roster. If they block less than two defenseman, only 2 max d-men can be taken off their roster.

These kinds of limitations will help from the current NHL teams from completely being depleted of their depth in certain areas.

Also, although it may be very subjective to judge, the expansion teams should be limited as to what type of players they pick. For example, only 6 top 6 players, etc. I know these kinds of rules make it more complicated, but, IMO it makes it more fair because an expansion GM could totally own if they do it right.
What I started thinking about doing is having the draft go in intervals of 5. No specific draft order. I will say something like in the first interval of 5 you are allowed to pick one-two top 6 forward(s), two top 4 d-men and one goalie. And then like in the next interval do something like 2 3rd line forwards, two more d-men, etc.

The other 3 expansion teams would have no idea what each other are picking until the 5 players for each are revealed. If a player was picked twice, the person who sent the list to me 2nd would have to pick again.

This is all general ideas. Honestly when I was writing up the OP I had no idea how I wanted to handle the expansion draft. It may have to come down to doing an actual.

I really need some time to think about it because this is clearly a major point in the game. For now I want to worry about getting the last 8 people in here, and having everyone decided their 6 protected players.

I think before I make my decision on how the expansion draft will be handled I really need to take a look at the quality of players available in the pool to be picked from.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:52 AM
  #88
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,998
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Yeah, but look at some of the top teams who actually have depth.

Teams like the Red Wings, Canucks, Flyers will lose a lot of their depth if they get more than 4 players taken from them, even after blocking 6. At the very least, there should be limitations on how many players a team can lose, and how many players a team can lose at each position (meaning forward, defenseman, and goalie)

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:54 AM
  #89
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,268
vCash: 500
I'm sorry I know my post above isn't exactly coherent because I was kinda brainstorming allowed.

My point in all this is that first I want to get everyone locked into the game. I then want to see who each team protects and who is left available. If there are numerous good-very good players available then a draft may be needed. If the pool players are judged to have equal talent for the most part then I may be able to go with the 5 interval method where one expansion team can only pick one player from each NHL team.

I will have a more definitive answer once I get the pool of players together on the same table. Although I do like everyone's enthusiasim right now.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:57 AM
  #90
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Yeah, but look at some of the top teams who actually have depth.

Teams like the Red Wings, Canucks, Flyers will lose a lot of their depth if they get more than 4 players taken from them, even after blocking 6. At the very least, there should be limitations on how many players a team can lose, and how many players a team can lose at each position (meaning forward, defenseman, and goalie)
This I agree with, and kinda touched on it in my OP. I will find a way to limit the damage done to good teams. I won't allow teams like Detroit to get cleaned out. There will, for sure, be limitations. It may be that you can only pick one player from each team, or you can only pick one forward, one d-man, and one goalie from one team. I think the limitation will be 1 pick from each team, therefore the maximum damage that can be done to the 30 teams is a loss of 4 players, which isn't that bad.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:58 AM
  #91
stempniaksen
Registered User
 
stempniaksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,824
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsman56 View Post
Well, look at some of the bottom teams. Florida for example:

Tomas Vokoun, David Booth, Stephen Weiss are better than mostly anybody that the expansion teams will get in the draft.

Even Toronto has Phil Kessel, Tomas Kaberle, Dion Phaneuf, Luke Schenn, that the expansion teams won't have.
Just as an expansion team could end up with some combination of Timmonen, Setoguchi, Clowe, Edler, Vlasic, Burrows, Filpulla, JVR, Kronwall, ect. If picked right it could be awesome for the expansion teams.

Obviously will be tougher for them though.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:58 AM
  #92
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,998
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I'm sorry I know my post above isn't exactly coherent because I was kinda brainstorming allowed.

My point in all this is that first I want to get everyone locked into the game. I then want to see who each team protects and who is left available. If there are numerous good-very good players available then a draft may be needed. If the pool players are judged to have equal talent for the most part then I may be able to go with the 5 interval method where one expansion team can only pick one player from each NHL team.

I will have a more definitive answer once I get the pool of players together on the same table. Although I do like everyone's enthusiasim right now.
I understand you want to get the last 8 GMs locked in. Not trying to rush you into a decision here, just brainstorming ideas.

Here is my proposal, the more I think about it. You have 4 teams in the expansion draft picking 20 players each (that's 80 total) from 30 teams. I think the most a team should be able to lose is 3 players (3 x 30 is 90, so it's more than enough). A team should not be able to lose more than 2 forwards, 1 dman, and 1 goalie (this seems most fair, since there will be double the forwards picked than d-man, but only 8 goalies picked).

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:03 AM
  #93
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I understand you want to get the last 8 GMs locked in. Not trying to rush you into a decision here, just brainstorming ideas.

Here is my proposal, the more I think about it. You have 4 teams in the expansion draft picking 20 players each (that's 80 total) from 30 teams. I think the most a team should be able to lose is 3 players (3 x 30 is 90, so it's more than enough). A team should not be able to lose more than 2 forwards, 1 dman, and 1 goalie (this seems most fair, since there will be double the forwards picked than d-man, but only 8 goalies picked).
I think this is a very good idea. Once the quota of each team is met then I would remove the rest of their players and return them back to their original team. Those 11 players would then be disbarred from the draft and ineligible to be picked.

I think this idea is better than my no more than 4 players from each team.

Thanks fly!

Also, thank you to all the rest who are really helping me brainstorm some ideas.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:05 AM
  #94
The Instigator
HFBoards Sponsor
 
The Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
What if there were specialty classes in the draft (#1 goalie, top 3 dman, 2 top 6 forward classes) and each team had one for the first round so it spreads out? The other 4 would be players not considered specialty picks.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:11 AM
  #95
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,998
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin007 View Post
What if there were specialty classes in the draft (#1 goalie, top 3 dman, 2 top 6 forward classes) and each team had one for the first round so it spreads out? The other 4 would be players not considered specialty picks.
Eh, I guess we could eliminate the "specialty classes", as you put it, if we are able to do it with how I laid it out above. If a team can lose no more than 3 players, and no more than 2 forwards, 1 dman, and 1 goalie, that should eliminate any team from being completely depleted in depth in any one position.

Although, I guess a team could still get kind of stacked if they choose wisely. I don't know...

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:11 AM
  #96
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons
 
Moses Doughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Drewbacca
Country: United States
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
Can we have more protected players? Id like 8ish, or some teams will have ALOT of talent lost

And/or have a limit on how many players can be picked from one team. No more than 3 per team, as 4 teams, 20 per for 80 total. So that many guys from 30 teams means 3 or 2 player per team are picked up

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:12 AM
  #97
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,998
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I think this is a very good idea. Once the quota of each team is met then I would remove the rest of their players and return them back to their original team. Those 11 players would then be disbarred from the draft and ineligible to be picked.

I think this idea is better than my no more than 4 players from each team.

Thanks fly!

Also, thank you to all the rest who are really helping me brainstorm some ideas.
No problemo

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:13 AM
  #98
The Instigator
HFBoards Sponsor
 
The Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
Can we have more protected players? Id like 8ish, or some teams will have ALOT of talent lost

And/or have a limit on how many players can be picked from one team. No more than 3 per team, as 4 teams, 20 per for 80 total. So that many guys from 30 teams means 3 or 2 player per team are picked up
Nooooooooo.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:14 AM
  #99
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons
 
Moses Doughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Drewbacca
Country: United States
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
Heh, me and fly think alike.

OV-at least one of the two. Depth filled teams are screwed otherwise if theres no limit

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:14 AM
  #100
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,268
vCash: 500
Anaheim Ducks Atlanta Thrashers Boston Bruins
Player 1Player 1Player 1
Player 2Player 2Player 2
Player 3Player 3Player 3
Player 4Player 4Player 4
Player 5Player 5Player 5
Player 6Player 6Player 6
Player 7Player 7Player 7
Player 8Player 8Player 8
Player 9Player 9Player 9
Player 10Player 10Player 10
Player 11Player 11Player 11
Player 12Player 12Player 12
Player 13Player 13Player 13
Player 14Player 14Player 14
Forwards (0/2)Forwards (0/2)Forwards (0/2)
Defenseman (0/1)Defenseman (0/1)Defenseman (0/1)
Goalie (0/1)Goalie (0/1)Goalie (0/1)

I think this works, according to flyguy's method the draft board would look something like this. I think this definitely could work, thoughts?

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.