HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Suter Available?

Old
12-30-2010, 12:31 AM
LucicTrain*

vCash: 500
Is Suter Available?

just curious if anyone knows if the Predators are or might be open to trading Ryan Suter and if so would something centered around Tuukka Rask be feasible

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
just curious if anyone knows if the Predators are or might be open to trading Ryan Suter and if so would something centered around Tuukka Rask be feasible
No, absolutely not. We are also set in nets with Rinne and Lindback and a slew of prospects behind them.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:03 AM
melfunction

First of all, if the Predators made any trades any time soon it would more likely be to acquire forwards, definitely not goaltenders. Secondly, I really don't see them getting rid of Suter any time soon either. And finally ... I think it's wishful thinking for you to hope to get that type of return for Rask. Can you remember the last time a goaltender was traded in exchange for a household-name defenseman or forward? As important as goalies are to the sport they sure don't seem to be great trade leverage, if my recent memory isn't failing me.

melfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:43 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

In short, no.

In long: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:46 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Nashville is built on defense. If they were built on something else they would be built of nothing.

No on anything unless it's for an elite offensive talent.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I'd say Seguin plus Toronto's 1st and we might have a deal IF we were rebuilding, which we aren't.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:25 AM
LucicTrain*

i wasnt trying to infer Suter for Rask straight, but how about something with Krejci and Ryder. i know you said he's not available but im of the mindset the everyone is available at the right price.

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Suter is available for the right price...

Krejci, Seguin, and Toronto's 1st.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
i wasnt trying to infer Suter for Rask straight, but how about something with Krejci and Ryder. i know you said he's not available but im of the mindset the everyone is available at the right price.
Yes, but that would be a very very steep price. Suter is as valuable to this team as Ovi is to Washington. Suter is not as good as OV obviously, but I am talking straight up value to the team. When Suter gets hurt, we lost games. That is a fact. It is going to take some serious value coming back for him for Poile to even consider this.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I'm sure I'm not the only one that believes Suter is more untouchable than Weber at this point.

The Preds have been looking for a dynamic scorer since the team was created. As others have said, that is the only way one of them is gone via trade.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:39 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one that believes Suter is more untouchable than Weber at this point.

The Preds have been looking for a dynamic scorer since the team was created. As others have said, that is the only way one of them is gone via trade.
Suter is a better player than Weber. Yes, I said it. I believe it to be true 100% too. Overall, Suter is the more well rounded player. Weber has some amazing physical tools but Suter has the overall game. While he does nothing at the elite level, I believe he does everything just a step below that which makes his entire game as solid as anyone we've ever had. He actually may be the best player we've ever had.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:29 PM
cleangene

May consider it with that Crosby guy being involved.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Suter is a better player than Weber. Yes, I said it. I believe it to be true 100% too. Overall, Suter is the more well rounded player. Weber has some amazing physical tools but Suter has the overall game. While he does nothing at the elite level, I believe he does everything just a step below that which makes his entire game as solid as anyone we've ever had. He actually may be the best player we've ever had.
I've always been a huge Weber homer since he was first called up and he's still my favorite player but I can't help but say Suter is better right now. I wasn't a fan of him at first but I've been proven wrong more than I ever have with a player before. You're right, he isn't flashy and won't stick out to the casual observer but he is probably the best overall American defenseman in the game today I think.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:31 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If the Devils end up with the 1st or 2nd overall pick, would something around Suter Vs NJ's 1st round pick + be enough to land Suter... Zach Parise's good friend?

Thanks

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:59 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If the Devils end up with the 1st or 2nd overall pick, would something around Suter Vs NJ's 1st round pick + be enough to land Suter... Zach Parise's good friend?

Thanks
I hope you were joking....

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:09 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I'd say Seguin plus Toronto's 1st and we might have a deal IF we were rebuilding, which we aren't.
I would seriously consider trading suter for seguin and larsson...and i think suter is the best defenseman on this team. seguin's next contract will be an rfa one in the 2-3 mil range i would think, and larsson may be able to slide in immediatly too. and with blum, josi, and ellis ready to step up, this would fall into the category of it sucks to do it, but too good to be true

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:07 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would seriously consider trading suter for seguin and larsson...and i think suter is the best defenseman on this team. seguin's next contract will be an rfa one in the 2-3 mil range i would think, and larsson may be able to slide in immediatly too. and with blum, josi, and ellis ready to step up, this would fall into the category of it sucks to do it, but too good to be true
I think, at some point, this is a problem/option Poile is gonna' run into. I, too, believe Suter is our best player. It's been great watching him grow into the very, very good Dman he's become. Anyone at the draft in 03 - it was chillingly awesome the ovation when we announced that pick.

But...... we have a wealth of Dmen coming up and they're gonna' need a place to play, and they are much more suter-like than they are weber-like. I personally do not want to see us trade away Ryan, but we need a place for Josi and Blum and Ellis (heck, maybe even Laakso) pretty soon, and I suppose we could trade Klein and Franson, but I'm not sure if we put them in the same deal we'd get the kinda' F back we could get for Suter.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:22 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I hope you were joking....
Correct me if I'm wrong but you guys do have a internal budget, correct? You guys are lacking a true franchise forward, correct? Shea Weber, the new captain of your team, should be getting a pretty nice raise this summer, correct? The Preds have a pipeline that's filled with solid d-men's (Ellis, Blum, Roussel, Franson, etc.), correct?

Knowing that Suter will get paid in two years, meaning that you'll have 13M$ (give or take) wrapped around two defensemens... you wouldn't move one of them at the draft for a franchise forward (Couturier, Landeskog or RNH) plus a couple of other assets?

Really

Old
01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but you guys do have a internal budget, correct? You guys are lacking a true franchise forward, correct? Shea Weber, the new captain of your team, should be getting a pretty nice raise this summer, correct? The Preds have a pipeline that's filled with solid d-men's (Ellis, Blum, Roussel, Franson, etc.), correct?

Knowing that Suter will get paid in two years, meaning that you'll have 13M$ (give or take) wrapped around two defensemens... you wouldn't move one of them at the draft for a franchise forward (Couturier, Landeskog or RNH) plus a couple of other assets?

Really
right now suter and weber make 8 million combined, correct? jp dumont makes 4.5 million, correct? there are your raises, correct?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Really
Whereas the Preds have an internal budget, the Devils are flirting with the cap and currently relying on LTIR to stay below it. Lou hemmed the team into a corner with the Kovy deal and there is already over $49mil committed to the cap next season without Arnott, Langenbrunner, or Parise signed up front, only 4 d-men under contract for next season, and no true backup. If the cap bumps up $2mil for next season, the Devils would have approx $11.5mil to sign at least 6 players including Parise. Add in Suter and the team would have only $8mil to sign 7 players including Zach.

The right question isn't if the Preds would move Suter for the right price, it's how can the Devils manage to take on his salary and keep guys like Parise given the cap situation Lou has created.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
right now suter and weber make 8 million combined, correct? jp dumont makes 4.5 million, correct? there are your raises, correct?
You do know that a Gm has to think past the next game, right? Weber will earn about 6M$ per this summer and Suter would get around the same at the end of next year. If you can spread the wealth on offense and defense, don't you think it would be wiser to balance things out?

The same can be said about our team. Alot of offensive forwards with brick hands on the blueline. I just thaught that we would be solid trading partners cause Nashville has alot of depth on defense and we, on offense.

That's all

P.S. I would trade Parise for one of your #1 d-men but apparently Lou will resign him to a LTC so the 2nd best option would be moving a #1 overall pick cause 80% of our team has a NMC/NTC.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Whereas the Preds have an internal budget, the Devils are flirting with the cap and currently relying on LTIR to stay below it. Lou hemmed the team into a corner with the Kovy deal and there is already over $49mil committed to the cap next season without Arnott, Langenbrunner, or Parise signed up front, only 4 d-men under contract for next season, and no true backup. If the cap bumps up $2mil for next season, the Devils would have approx $11.5mil to sign at least 6 players including Parise. Add in Suter and the team would have only $8mil to sign 7 players including Zach.

The right question isn't if the Preds would move Suter for the right price, it's how can the Devils manage to take on his salary and keep guys like Parise given the cap situation Lou has created.
We can resign Parise whitout a problem. The media has made the IK signing too big for nature and are tossing "rumors" left and right that we won't be able to resign Parise.

Parise's situation
Arnott + Langs money is actually 7.3M$. Add in Hedberg's 1.5M$, Greene's $0.738 and Mair's $0.515 and thats over 10M$. Plus, you figure the cap will go up at least a little bit (apparently by 3M$). Parise has a 3.1M$ cap hit at the moment, so we would need about what... 4M$ max out of that 10M$+ to retain his services?

Suter's situation
Suter's cap hit is actually 3.5M$ for the remainder of this year and the next one before hitting UFA. We have Rolston (5M$), White (3M$) and Salvador (3M$) coming off the books at the same time when Suter would be getting his raise, so that leaves 11M$ to take care of Suter and the others.

If it did go down, I wouldn't be worried at all.

Old
01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
We can resign Parise whitout a problem. The media has made the IK signing too big for nature and are tossing "rumors" left and right that we won't be able to resign Parise.

Parise's situation
Arnott + Langs money is actually 7.3M$. Add in Hedberg's 1.5M$, Greene's $0.738 and Mair's $0.515 and thats over 10M$. Plus, you figure the cap will go up at least a little bit (apparently by 3M$).

Suter's situation
Suter's cap hit is actually 3.5M$ for the remainder of this year and the next one before hitting UFA. We have Rolston (5M$), White (3M$) and Salvador (3M$) coming off the books at the same time when Suter would be getting his raise, so that leaves 11M$ to take care of Suter and the others.

If it did go down, I wouldn't be worried at all.
Your team is at $49.7 committed for next season with 14 players signed. Let's say Parise at $5mil (probably low) .... now $54.7mil with 15 players signed. Suter at $3.5mil hit .... $58.2mil with 16 players signed. Still no backup goalie, replacement for Langenbrunner or Arnott and maybe $4mil (if the cap increases $3mil) to spend on at least 4 players. The numbers don't support your pipedream fantasy.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Your team is at $49.7 committed for next season with 14 players signed. Let's say Parise at $5mil (probably low) .... now $54.7mil with 15 players signed. Suter at $3.5mil hit .... $58.2mil with 16 players signed. Still no backup goalie, replacement for Langenbrunner or Arnott and maybe $4mil (if the cap increases $3mil) to spend on at least 4 players. The numbers don't support your pipedream fantasy.
Once again, we would have to replace a backup (we can sign a guy for 500K), a 4th line center (Sestito is doing the job at 500K), Langenbrunner won't be missed since Elias and Tedenby are doing a very solid job at RW and Arnott's spot will be taken by Jacob Josefson who's injured this year. That leaves us with a 3rd line center that can be filled with Zubrus if need be. We have several players that can play all 3 positions and our lineup will probably look a little something like this...

IK-Elias-Tedenby
Parise-Zajac-Zubrus
Rolston-Josefson-Clarkson
Zharkov-Sestito-Pelley

Anyways, I appreciate the concern you have regarding our "cap problems" but we'll be fine

My question was, would Poile consider moving Suter for a #1 overall pick and other assets... not "Are the NJD screwed regarding the cap?".

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 01-04-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old
01-04-2011, 03:36 PM
jlsg

Depends on a couple of things, what the draft class looks like this year and if the org feels that Blum/Josi are ready to step in. One of those guys would have to replace Suter because I don't think the replacement is playing in Nashville right now. Weber was not as effective without Suter beside him so that would have to taken into account as well. Suter played Nash 1x1 the entire game the other night. Not many dmen in the league could do that and shut Nash down for the night.

Hard to replace.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote