HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Quincey - Does anyone miss him?

Old
01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

vCash: 500
To address the OP, I do kind of miss Quincey, particularly for what he brought from Detroit. Any player who has spent any appreciable time in the Detroit room can bring a wealth of knowledge to the Kings (not necessarily vets like Mitchell and Scuderi but the rest for sure).

As for the "Shoot Hard As You Can" thing, my dad is a life-long Bruins fan (since the mid 50's, so imagine the players he has seen) and he has recently gotten back into hockey (I think I have convinced him to let the Kings be his second favorite team for now... baby steps...) but one of the first things he told me was that he thought that Dewey was taking WWWAAAYYY too big of a windup on his shot, costing him both the element of surprise and whatever lane would have been there when he first wound up.

After all, Bobby Orr only wound up to about 9:00 or so compared to Dewey going past 12:00 at times. I suggested to him that maybe a guy like Luc (who wound up less that Orr) should maybe have a talk with him.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... He does?

Smyth in the regular season: 742 points in 1019 games, 0.72 per game
Cammalleri in the regular season: 365 points in 470 games, 0.77 per game

Smyth in the playoffs: 54 points in 87 games, 0.62 per game
Cammalleri in the playoffs: 22 points in 25 games, 0.88 per game

Smyth has played one more game than Cammalleri this season and has one more point. Their other stats (hits, blocked shots, giveaways, takeaways) are almost identical.

Just for the record, I don't buy that he's "great for the kids" or that he "taught Kopitar how to play" or whatever other B.S. that Lombardi apologists try to dredge up. He is what he is, and does what he does. He's not multi-faceted or multi-dimensional. He plays offense. He's not a fast skater, but his intelligence makes up for it more often than not. He has savvy. He's there to create chances - that's about it. And he does that pretty well, but really he doesn't do it any better than Cammalleri does.
Not to create a straw man or anything, but you are saying that "Captain Canada" didn't help the younger players at all?

Utter tripe nonsense.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:43 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by great job View Post
Not to create a straw man or anything, but you are saying that "Captain Canada" didn't help the younger players at all?

Utter tripe nonsense.
... Well, that's some great evidence right there Mr. Stalin

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:46 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
... Well, that's some great evidence right there Mr. Stalin
Well I''' point out that Kopitar and Brown have both looked far better than ever before, amongst other younger players, but you'd be correct in saying that Smyth probably did not cause this.

But he has contributed. Look, you can argue convincingly that Smyth is a 3.5 million dollar player for his on-ice play, but everywhere he went he was known as a character guy. As much as you can sit back and say that Smyth being a great leader is part of some sort of Dean-revisionist history, that's pretty stupid considering that he was captain of pretty much any national team he was ever on, and for his time in Edmonton was considered highly in this regard.

Old
01-12-2011, 06:54 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
But he has contributed. Look, you can argue convincingly that Smyth is a 3.5 million dollar player for his on-ice play, but everywhere he went he was known as a character guy. As much as you can sit back and say that Smyth being a great leader is part of some sort of Dean-revisionist history, that's pretty stupid considering that he was captain of pretty much any national team he was ever on, and for his time in Edmonton was considered highly in this regard.
... I'm not saying he doesn't have character. I'm saying that it's been blown out of proportion in terms of its worth to the team by people who want to give Dean Lombardi credit for the natural progression of young players like Brown and Kopitar.

Old
01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
... He does? He is?

Smyth in the regular season: 742 points in 1019 games, 0.72 per game
Cammalleri in the regular season: 365 points in 470 games, 0.77 per game

Smyth in the playoffs: 54 points in 87 games, 0.62 per game
Cammalleri in the playoffs: 22 points in 25 games, 0.88 per game

Smyth has played one more game than Cammalleri this season and has one more point. Their other stats (hits, blocked shots, giveaways, takeaways) are almost identical.

Just for the record, I don't buy that he's "great for the kids" or that he "taught Kopitar how to play" or whatever other B.S. that Lombardi apologists try to dredge up. He is what he is, and does what he does. He's not multi-faceted or multi-dimensional. He plays offense. He's not a fast skater, but his intelligence makes up for it more often than not. He has savvy. He's there to create chances - that's about it. And he does that pretty well, but really he doesn't do it any better than Cammalleri does.
On pace for 10 more goals and 3 more pts. in a 2nd line role. No way in hell I'd want Cammy back over Smyth.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Avs fan here the team really misses Quincey. He was playing horrible to the last 50ish games of the past season and to start this season. But he turned things around a bit.

He wasnt playing good but he was playing average. For the Avs defensive corps average is a godsend.

The problem is the Avs have only one solid pairing in O Byrne and Liles. Quincey could be playing alongside Shattenkirk so at least there is another pairing who arent totally inept in their own zone.

But Quincey's offensive game is massively disappointing compared to what Kings fans told us we'd be getting. He doesnt one time passes but takes 5 second massive windup slapshots that hit a defender or miss the net. He also has no imagination offensively on the PP.

In short, he's been average or below average but isn't terrible in any one aspect.

If the Kings blueline lacks a player like that I pity you guys. Any blueline missing Quincey is a bad one (like the one the Avs got).

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:59 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
... I'm not saying he doesn't have character. I'm saying that it's been blown out of proportion in terms of its worth to the team by people who want to give Dean Lombardi credit for the natural progression of young players like Brown and Kopitar.
What's the difference? I'm pretty sure that they still saw Smyth, saw that he had been playing for many games, basically going to war on the boards and in the crease, and that he had seen the playoffs and of course the national teams. I mean, you are right in saying that he wasn;t responsible for the development of those guys, but at the same time, do you not think that they learned some good things from Smyth?

You might not take this seriously, but watching guys like Clifford and Simmonds, you notice that they have little tricks along the boards, which is why we are probably the best forechecking/cycling team in the NHL. A guy like Smyth, above anyone else, would know these moves, and know what works.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
What's the difference? I'm pretty sure that they still saw Smyth, saw that he had been playing for many games, basically going to war on the boards and in the crease, and that he had seen the playoffs and of course the national teams. I mean, you are right in saying that he wasn;t responsible for the development of those guys, but at the same time, do you not think that they learned some good things from Smyth?

You might not take this seriously, but watching guys like Clifford and Simmonds, you notice that they have little tricks along the boards, which is why we are probably the best forechecking/cycling team in the NHL. A guy like Smyth, above anyone else, would know these moves, and know what works.
I noticed this with Clifford a few times and Simmonds with his power move the other night. Smyth is great at the little things.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
On pace for 10 more goals and 3 more pts. in a 2nd line role. No way in hell I'd want Cammy back over Smyth.
... Just FYI, Smyth averages more time out there per game and more PP time per game than Cammalleri has this season.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Since stats can't be used to give the value of Smyth to the Kings, you way underestimate the value.

Quote:
Then again, Schenn says if it had not been for those days as a spare part for the Los Angeles Kings in his first shot at the NHL, he might not be ready to step forward at this tournament. Schenn spent time in the company of Captain Canada himself, Kings winger Ryan Smyth, who passed along a wealth of knowledge from his seven stints as captain of Canadian teams in international competitions from the worlds to the Olympics.

“He’s helped me a lot,” Schenn said. “I sat beside him in the practice room, I was stall-mates with him. He was kind of in the same situation when he was 19. He wasn’t playing, he got sent to the minors and then actually got called back up and stayed as a 19-year-old.

“With the experience he has under his belt, anything he says, I listen.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1851478/

Smyth is worth way more to the Kings than Quincey. A great trade by Lombardi, sent a waiver pickup and a bad contract (that he gave) to get a solid LW that contributes on and off the ice.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
Avs fan here the team really misses Quincey. He was playing horrible to the last 50ish games of the past season and to start this season. But he turned things around a bit.

He wasnt playing good but he was playing average. For the Avs defensive corps average is a godsend.

The problem is the Avs have only one solid pairing in O Byrne and Liles. Quincey could be playing alongside Shattenkirk so at least there is another pairing who arent totally inept in their own zone.

But Quincey's offensive game is massively disappointing compared to what Kings fans told us we'd be getting. He doesnt one time passes but takes 5 second massive windup slapshots that hit a defender or miss the net. He also has no imagination offensively on the PP.

In short, he's been average or below average but isn't terrible in any one aspect.

If the Kings blueline lacks a player like that I pity you guys. Any blueline missing Quincey is a bad one (like the one the Avs got).
Thanks for your input, that's disappointing to here. It appears that Quincey isn't the same Quincey that the Kings know . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
... Just FYI, Smyth averages more time out there per game and more PP time per game than Cammalleri has this season.
That's fine. It still doesn't change my opinion that Smyth is a better hockey player than Cammy.

Last edited by SFKingshomer: 01-12-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old
01-12-2011, 07:28 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I had no idea that Colorado fans watch more of their hometeam than I do
What?

Old
01-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
What?
Forgot to add the ""

Old
01-12-2011, 07:36 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
That's fine. It still doesn't change my opinion that Smyth is a better hockey player than the artist formerly known as Cammy.
... LOL! Of course it doesn't. There's bias involved. And that's alright; just don't pretend it isn't there.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Johnny Utah

Quincey had one good season with us and got dealt and has struggled...

O'Sullivan had one good season with us and got dealt and has struggled....

Dan Carcillo had one good season for Philly, did NOT get traded, and is now struggling....

All these guys are friends and work out together in the off season? Are they smoking dope together?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Quincey had one good season with us and got dealt and has struggled...

O'Sullivan had one good season with us and got dealt and has struggled....

Dan Carcillo had one good season for Philly, did NOT get traded, and is now struggling....

All these guys are friends and work out together in the off season? Are they smoking dope together?
Rick Nash works out with them too . . .

Old
01-12-2011, 08:29 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

A-Mart = rookie.

Lets at least give the kid a whole season before we stat him to death. So far he has been exceptional for what he brings to the table when you consider that he is a rookie and is receiving the same stellar defencive coaching that has a few of our other talented D men off of their game.

A Mart is a perfectly solid/good 5/6 pmd who doesn't panic with the puck in his own end too often. He is a rookie so he has allot to learn but so far I would take him most any day of Quincey who's game a truly like(d).

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Johnny Utah

[QUOTE=Cutty Sarkn3ss;30168569]Rick Nash works out with them too . . .[/QUOT

Ha...well Nash isn't having a great season either...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
A-Mart = rookie.

Lets at least give the kid a whole season before we stat him to death. So far he has been exceptional for what he brings to the table when you consider that he is a rookie and is receiving the same stellar defencive coaching that has a few of our other talented D men off of their game.

A Mart is a perfectly solid/good 5/6 pmd who doesn't panic with the puck in his own end too often. He is a rookie so he has allot to learn but so far I would take him most any day of Quincey who's game a truly like(d).
WE? WE STAT HIM? Pretty sure that was just JT . . .

Old
01-12-2011, 08:54 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Ok Ok Ok Cutty.....

Jeesh.

Before *anyone* stat him.

Better

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Ok Ok Ok Cutty.....

Jeesh.

Before *anyone* stat him.

Better
Yes, I'm offended when I'm put in the same circle as JT

Old
01-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Something Jack Johnson needs to continue doing, and more often, and also something that Doughty needs to learn. That nice wrist shot on net through traffic. Otherwise, no, I don't miss Quincey. Imagine our problems on the left wing if we didn't have Smyth...

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
BadBad Browns

Quote:

Just for the record, I don't buy that he's "great for the kids" or that he "taught Kopitar how to play" or whatever other B.S. that Lombardi apologists try to dredge up.
Regardless of how you feel about Smyth's play I think you really underestimate his leadership and value as a mentor. Just before or in the midst of Braden Shenn's great performance at the WJC he gave a lot of love to Smyth for his development. Also, the other day I had some business at the TSC and sitting at at table was Clifford, Smyth and someone I didn't recognize. They were discussing something about money and Smyth appeared to be doing a lot of the explaining to Clifford. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess Clifford didn't attend college. I'm not trying to insult him or anything because I know plenty of hockey players, and people in general, don't go to college. But I think it says a lot about how he does help these kids, who've never handled this, off the ice.

BadBad Browns is offline   Reply With Quote