HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN Drives Me Nuts

Old
01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Jedgi

vCash: 500
ESPN Drives Me Nuts

I need to vent. I had to change the channel as I just watched two ESPN morons talk to each other about how the Penguins and Lightning are for real (despite the fact that the Pens are sucking without Crosby) and called the Capitals pretenders, and how Ovechkin isn't even close to the 2nd best player in the league (they said Stamkos was). One year doesn't mean everything! [/vent]

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Refer to what we were saying about the junkies in the gdt

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
third man in

Who cares? Until they prove it in the playoffs, they are pretenders. At least to the media... Do yourself a favor and find some thick skin if you're gonna stay a Caps fan.

third man in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
txpd

the penguins are a legit contender. do you really question that?
the lightning are for real. they are still growing into it.
the capitals are...well. you tell me.

right now the lightning have stamkos and st louis at legit all star production. ovechkin and backstrom are not. period. right now the lightning has real fire power. the capitals dont. the capitals are keeping up as if they were the nj devils. the caps are getting by offensively entirely on secondary scoring. johansson, knuble, fehr and the grinders.

if that is who the capitals are now, they are not even a pretender. they will remain that unless and until ovechkin and backstrom return to form. do you see any sign of that happening?

in the 19 games since the caps 6-0 win vs tampa bay, they have scored more than 3 goals just 3 times. a 4-1 win at st louis where the 4th goal was an empty netter(backstrom's last goal). the 5-4 SO loss to Toronto. The 5-1 beat of NJ.

IF 8, 19 and 28 are rolling at career averages, the Caps are a juggernaut with the secondary performance and defense they have been getting. without them, they are hanging on. they are showing some real character, but are they really contenders without them? I dont think so. Are there any signs at all that this is a temperary condition? I dont think so.

ESPN is closer to right than to wrong on this.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
EroCaps

ESPN "analysts" are clowns and everyone knows it. Relax.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Burgh32

They got a strong reaction out of you (doesn't matter if positive or negative). Their job is done. This is how media works these days b/c it's what drives ratings.

The guy on espn radio in the mornings was talking about this a couple of weeks ago. Everyone has figured this out now so they make sure they always say things in hyperbole and in as polarizing a manner as possible.

Don't take the bait.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
Who cares? Until they prove it in the playoffs, they are pretenders. At least to the media... Do yourself a favor and find some thick skin if you're gonna stay a Caps fan.
This is insulting. I take complete and utter pride in the fact that I will not EVER switch teams or join a bandwagon. I have followed the Caps for the entirety of my life as well as the Redskins, Bullets/Wizards, and Nationals (as long as they have existed). The unspoken implications of that sentence offend me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
the penguins are a legit contender. do you really question that?
the lightning are for real. they are still growing into it.
the capitals are...well. you tell me...[...]
If the Lightning are for real and the Caps are simply getting along, why do they both have the same amount of points in the standings? If the Caps aren't playing to their full potential at the moment and the Lightning are, it shouldn't even be a question as to which team is superior.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:13 PM
txpd

tampa bay 17 home games. 26 road games
capitals 24 home games. 19 road games.

thats a factor

tb hasnt lost 8 games in a row. thats a factor

the question is what is the capitals full potential now.
ovechkin and backstrom have been bad enough for long enough that i have no feel for who they are from here out. is washington better than tampa bay if ovechkin scores 12 goals the 2nd half of the season and backstrom 7 or 8? i dont think so.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
This is insulting. I take complete and utter pride in the fact that I will not EVER switch teams or join a bandwagon. I have followed the Caps for the entirety of my life as well as the Redskins, Bullets/Wizards, and Nationals (as long as they have existed). The unspoken implications of that sentence offend me.
See the thick skin part of my post.

Point was get used to it until they win a cup. The media especially Canadian, seems to enjoy putting the Caps down. The sooner you learn to let most of it roll off your back the better for you.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
who are we talking about actually? much of espn's hockey staff is tsn staff.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:19 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
tampa bay 17 home games. 26 road games
capitals 24 home games. 19 road games.

thats a factor

tb hasnt lost 8 games in a row. thats a factor

the question is what is the capitals full potential now.
ovechkin and backstrom have been bad enough for long enough that i have no feel for who they are from here out. is washington better than tampa bay if ovechkin scores 12 goals the 2nd half of the season and backstrom 7 or 8? i dont think so.
If you were a NJD fan you would of offed yourself by now.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Ovechkin and Backstrom are doing the team a favor in the long run. The 2ndary scoring being able to show up on a nightly basis will be huge once Ovie and Backstrom are back, which will be this season. I can't believe how quickly txpd gives up hope on that.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
Ovechkin and Backstrom are doing the team a favor in the long run. The 2ndary scoring being able to show up on a nightly basis will be huge once Ovie and Backstrom are back, which will be this season. I can't believe how quickly txpd gives up hope on that.
quickly? this is not quickly. backstrom has not scored a goal in 6 weeks. ovechkin has not played a 5 game stretch all season like the 50 goal ovechkin. its not quickly.
its more than a slump. its an issue.

semin and green have played significant stretches of games where they evoked their best performances. 8 and 19 have not come close. its very worrisome.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
quickly? this is not quickly. backstrom has not scored a goal in 6 weeks. ovechkin has not played a 5 game stretch all season like the 50 goal ovechkin. its not quickly.

semin and green have played significant stretches of games where they evoked their best performances. 8 and 19 have not come close. its very worrisome.
txpd, i agree that there’s a problem and that it appears to be “chronic” so to speak, but what I’m not clear on from your posts is what you are attributing it to. Honest question: do you think these guys have somehow lost the talent, or is it the will, or something else? I don’t hear you saying you blame BB, but perhaps I’m misunderstanding.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:04 PM
txpd

i am definately not blaming boudreau. i dont have near enough inside information to make an educated guess as to what is wrong. i thought ovechkin had been both backed off by the league to play with less edge thus less energy. i thought ovechkin had been injured. it could be that ov's heart and confidence was damaged by all the losing he suffered last season. maybe he's just fat. he looks slow. he was hit in stride for a breakaway last night and gave it up to pass because the got caught. thats been happening all season along with all the falling down and whiffing.

backstrom. again i dont know. i suspect its contract related. enjoying life a little too much and being less committed to his craft. after his successful rookie season he came to camp fat for season 2. i am afraid, but have no evidence that he is fat again. But he has shown no evidence that he is in any way injured. he has not been good and has been downright irrelevant of late. johansson has begun to make him look bad.

why? who knows. joe b has said that his radar seems off (ovechkin). but even he has begun saying that it doesnt take this long to lock in his radar. even vogel has begun to shake his head at ovechkin and backstrom. this is real sign that its them. its not the team or their assignments.

this is why i fear that the ovechkin and backstrom that we see right now is what we have for at minimum the balance of the season.

show me anything that suggests that either one of them looks remotely like they are in contact with their former skill set.

Old
01-12-2011, 06:30 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
i am definately not blaming boudreau. i dont have near enough inside information to make an educated guess as to what is wrong. i thought ovechkin had been both backed off by the league to play with less edge thus less energy. i thought ovechkin had been injured. it could be that ov's heart and confidence was damaged by all the losing he suffered last season. maybe he's just fat. he looks slow. he was hit in stride for a breakaway last night and gave it up to pass because the got caught. thats been happening all season along with all the falling down and whiffing.

backstrom. again i dont know. i suspect its contract related. enjoying life a little too much and being less committed to his craft. after his successful rookie season he came to camp fat for season 2. i am afraid, but have no evidence that he is fat again. But he has shown no evidence that he is in any way injured. he has not been good and has been downright irrelevant of late. johansson has begun to make him look bad.

why? who knows. joe b has said that his radar seems off (ovechkin). but even he has begun saying that it doesnt take this long to lock in his radar. even vogel has begun to shake his head at ovechkin and backstrom. this is real sign that its them. its not the team or their assignments.

this is why i fear that the ovechkin and backstrom that we see right now is what we have for at minimum the balance of the season.

show me anything that suggests that either one of them looks remotely like they are in contact with their former skill set.
clearly they are not. i just can’t imagine either of these guys were flashes in the pan. too much talent and skill. and yeah, i know backs has been heavy at times, but half a season in? they have to be in at least mostly in shape by now. whatever’s wrong has to be largely mental. and i agree, it’s on them to figure it out. not bb’s fault.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:50 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They always have been and suck at showing NHL hockey period.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:53 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

The Caps are right there in the mix with Pitt/TB with their big guns underperforming. If they get going, watch out.

ESPN Analysts are some of the worst in the business. ESPN has two smart hockey minds, Bucigross and Cohn. Bucci is too busy writing sentimental columns and we never hear from Cohn.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
txpd

Cohn? Linda? She picked the Melrose Lightning to win the east.

Old
01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:

Yes quickly. It's only the halfway point of the season. To me this proves that people will always find something to complain about.

Years past, fans have found stuff like this to nitpick:

-It comes too easily for the team to make the playoffs they don't learn to fight
-The team relies on Ovie too much
-The team relies on the power play too much
-They get bailed out by offense (star power 8, 28, 19, 52) often enough that they don't focus on minimizing mistakes/playing defense - working on fundamentals
-The penalty kill is horrible
-They peaked too early

This years team has faced adversity, it's improved the PK (last night being the exception), the secondary scoring is having to focus on being more consistent and not waiting on Ovie, they have not peaked yet (which is A GREAT THING).

I think this team is going to be better this year then last when it matters and thats come April and May.

It's not important to have Ovechkin score 50 goals in the regular season. I think you are losing you focus on the ultimate prize...

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
See the thick skin part of my post.

Point was get used to it until they win a cup. The media especially Canadian, seems to enjoy putting the Caps down. The sooner you learn to let most of it roll off your back the better for you.
I don't think the media specifically searches to put teams down, they just want to have very accentuated views.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
third man in

Quote:
Yes quickly. It's only the halfway point of the season. To me this proves that people will always find something to complain about.

-It comes too easily for the team to make the playoffs they don't learn to fight
-They get bailed out by offense (star power 8, 28, 19, 52) often enough that they don't focus on minimizing mistakes/playing defense - working on fundamentals
-They peaked too early

This years team has faced adversity, it's improved the PK (last night being the exception), the secondary scoring is having to focus on being more consistent and not waiting on Ovie, they have not peaked yet (which is A GREAT THING).

I think this team is going to be better this year then last when it matters and thats come April and May.

It's not important to have Ovechkin score 50 goals in the regular season. I think you are losing you focus on the ultimate prize...
Excellent post. Adversity is gonna make men out of boys

Old
01-12-2011, 07:10 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:

-They peaked too early

I totally agree. This team knows that the only thing that matters is winning the SC, not getting Presidential Trophies. I at least expect the Caps in the Conference Finals. In years past, toughness was a question for me. I like the additions of Hendricks and Beagle. We have to remember we have rookies playing this year as opposed to last year. This is one reason why I give the Caps a break so far. As for Ovy and Backstrom, I do know they are the best things to come to the Caps and they will figure it out. Those players are just too skilled to continue below their potential. Carlson and Alzner have been playing wonderfully so far and Johansson has been impressive too. What's not to like about the goalies? I rather have Varly or Neuvy in goal than some of the other options out there. My main concern is adding another defensive defenseman. I agree with the poster last week, I fear the lightning more this year than next. I'm curious to see how we play the NYR coming up. That will be a character game.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:54 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Cohn? Linda? She picked the Melrose Lightning to win the east.
ESPN staff was just supporting their colleague.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
gintonic

well.......

I agree that it pains me to think the Lightning are legit, but unfortunately they've really stocked that team with talent of late, to add to the vet talent they already have. A pretty good mix actually.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote