HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Draft Scenario's

Old
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
odishabs

vCash: 500
Islanders Draft Scenario's

Hi all

Question from a Habs fan who's been a long time follower of the isles. At first glance there are lots of glaring wholes to the isles roster this season. Offence, Defense and Goaltending. However, with Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit due to come back some questions a rise.

I would appreciate you anticipation in the following Thanks in advance!!!

1. Scenario: The Islanders have the 2nd overall pick, who do they draft?
2. Scenario: The Islanders have the 5th overall pick who do they draft?

3. Do you acquire a goalie before next season? If so, what names come to mind?
4. Which Islanders players will be traded before next season? What return is expected?

5. And finally, Predict the New York Islanders 2011-2012 opening night lineup!

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Hi all

Question from a Habs fan who's been a long time follower of the isles. At first glance there are lots of glaring wholes to the isles roster this season. Offence, Defense and Goaltending. However, with Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit due to come back some questions a rise.

4. Which Islanders players will be traded before next season? What return is expected?

1. Best player available
2. Best player available
3. Depends on Dipietro's health and Poulin's development. No point discussing names until they find out what they need. Goalies are pretty easy to find these days.
4. Probably no major trades now that Roloson is gone. No young players are likely to move and the few older players remaining have little to no value.
5. Similar to this year's lineup, just a year older. Not many UFA's are itching to join the Islanders so we usually strike out there. Nino and DeHaan have a pretty decent shot at making the club next year, along with whoever they draft this year.

Regarding your first two questions. The answer is always, best player available. Plenty of fans out there seem to think it's a forgone conclusion that their team will draft for position - i.e. THE DEVILZ WILL TAKE LARSSON FOR SUUURE! Really, that's a joke. They could very well take him, but only if he's the best player available when they pick. If the Devil's scouting staff feels someone else is a better player with better potential, they will take him. Same goes for every team in the league.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Hi all

For questions 1 and 2, the Isles will take the BPA. I personally have no idea who that is right now, and not sure if they do either. I think they will go with a player with top-end potential: RNH, Larsson, or even someone like Strome. I don't believe they will consider any dman except for Larsson, as the Isles have not been keen on taking dmen with a top pick unless they are crazy about them (in 2008, they tried trading up for Doughty/Bogosian/Pietrangelo, and when they couldn't they chose not to take Schenn, but rather trade down; in 2009, they passed on both Fowler and Gormley). This trend shouldn't change now, unless they feel Larsson is going to be a top-end dman.

3) I hope the Isles don't trade for a goalie, but rather bring up Poulin next year and have him share the spot with Dipietro. All FA goalies are overpaid, and very few are actually worth it. Poulin/Dipietro tandem should be more than good enough.

4) I don't expect PA Parrenteau nor Schremp to be back next year. Not sure if they'll be traded. Aside from those two, perhaps Eaton (no value right now) or Martinek may be dealt.

Not much changes will likely occur for next year's team except for the addition of Okposo and Streit, and possible additions of Nino Niederreiter/2011 1st round pick/de Haan/Ty Wishart. Perhaps the Isles sign at least 1 top 6 forward, but likely not.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Islander Prophet

1. If the Isles have #2 overall, they draft Larsson (assuming he's still there)
2. If the Isles have #5 overall, they draft the best remaining player (Maybe we'll get lucky and Larsson will still be there)
3. No we don't need a goaler, either Poulin or DiPietro will be ready to be a starter next season
4. I expect: Martinek almost certain, maybe Gervais...PAP will leave to another team
5. The line-up will look as follow:

Okposo/Tavares/Moulson
Comeau/Nielsen/Niederreiter
Grabner/Bailey/Schremp
Joensuu/Konopka/Hunter

Streit/Hamonic
MacDonald/Jurcina
Eaton/DeHaan

Poulin

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:04 PM
kasper11

1. BPA
2. BPA
3. Yes, they will bring in a 1B on a 1-year deal cheap due to the glut of available goalies
4. Maybe Martinek (2nd or 3rd) and Konopka (4th). Possibly Moulson if he won't resign (2nd + good prospect)
5. I expect the team to bring in 2 second tier UFAs, one forward, one dman. Too much cap room to the floor to do otherwise. Otherwise, pretty much the same.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

1) Not sure who we would draft since the Devils needs are both a center and a defenseman. Therefore, we're just going to have to take whoever's left of Larsson and Courturier. I really hope it's Larsson, but I wouldn't be upset with Courturier or Nugent-Hopkins.

2) If we have the 5th pick, I'm predicting Landeskog or Armia.

3) I don't think that we're going to sign a goaltender, considering Poulin's been playing out of his mind well who clearly has a bright future. Poulin will probably be the backup next season if DP is actually alive.

4) Of the players on the roster now that might be traded during the offseason, probably Hunter. He's been pretty bad the last few seasons and being traded would help his career more than hurt him. I can see him going to a team like Buffalo or Detroit.

5) Our line up next year is almost impossible to predict.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Hi all

I'm gonna go out on a little limb and actually name names. Its to conservative just to say "BPA". Of cousrse BPA..but whose the BPA at #2 or #5. Don't worry you won't get detention or grounded for 2 weeks if your wrong..Anyway

With the Devils Glarring weakness at D, not having a PMD or a solid PP QB while having KOVY and JP, Elias etc on Offense I feel the BPA for them would be LARSSONs..so with that assumption
1)the Isles Pick at #2 ..I hope and Wish..RNH. Unfortunately I'm not the GM and on Snow's past history he likes guys that are big and or can come in right away and play.

2) At #5 (assuming Larsson, RNH, SC and Lando) are all off the board I think we should go with Murphy. It also wouldn't surprise me if we traded the pick either for an established player or for a swap of #1's in next year's draft (least likely)

3)I say no...they ride DP for 20 games, if he last that long and also go with Poulin or Lawson. Depending if we are in a playoff hunt then they will go after a goalie...who?...who knows..If i knew that answer i would go play the lottery, place alot bets in vegas etc

4) Moulson..we should keep but if it turns out that he doesn't want to resign here then we should be able to get a 2nd rounder at the deadline..garth will feel him out to see whats his intentions are.
Martinek - is another possibility..i think to Sharks for a 2nd rounder..

5) I'm not gonna predict the 2011 line up..but I will say that, unlike most fan's belief, I think the Isles will land a note worthy FA...they have to or their will be nothing but crickets at NMVC next year...Fans want to start seeing mgt's committment to winning..not just going after draft picks and with the newly negioated lease wang makes money when people show up to the areana so he has a vested interest to make sure they put a good product on the ice next year. we'll see though

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:27 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
With the cap min. rising, bonuses coming off the books or cap hits coming down (e.g. Yash's), and money freed up by Rolli/Weight/Wiz etc. departures, it's not inconceivable to say management will have to spend this offseason. How much will they? I suspect the bare minimum, after all Comeau/KO may get a raise. Seems that will be Wang's MO until the team is sold or arena is finalized.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, maybe not.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:34 PM
islandersfan1677

Quote:
Hi all

1. larsson
2. larsson
3. none. poulin and dp will be our goalies
4. none
5. no clue but it's time to see what the prospects are made off. can't wait forever for them.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:00 AM
4Isles4*

Larsson or Landeskog

RNH Hamilton or Harbeurueo....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
1. Best player available
2. Best player available
3. Depends on Dipietro's health and Poulin's development. No point discussing names until they find out what they need. Goalies are pretty easy to find these days.
4. Probably no major trades now that Roloson is gone. No young players are likely to move and the few older players remaining have little to no value.
5. Similar to this year's lineup, just a year older. Not many UFA's are itching to join the Islanders so we usually strike out there. Nino and DeHaan have a pretty decent shot at making the club next year, along with whoever they draft this year.

Regarding your first two questions. The answer is always, best player available. Plenty of fans out there seem to think it's a forgone conclusion that their team will draft for position - i.e. THE DEVILZ WILL TAKE LARSSON FOR SUUURE! Really, that's a joke. They could very well take him, but only if he's the best player available when they pick. If the Devil's scouting staff feels someone else is a better player with better potential, they will take him. Same goes for every team in the league.
normally, the bolded would be almost always correct in spades. but this year no one seems to be separating themselves from the pack. looks like the #1 pick could be any of up to 4 players. and i feel much less confident now in the scouting staff to decide who their bpa is without janks at the helm.

this is the reason i'm now torn between larsson and couturier. they both seem to have the lowest bust potential out of the 4 players who are generally in the discussion for #1. even if neither reaches their potential, it seems that they'll both become, at worst, above average nhlers. i like what rnh brings to the table as he's the type of player the isles don't really have in their system, ie, speedy playmaker with a relatively high hockey iq, but his stock seems to be dropping of late. landeskog is also an intriguing prospect as, by all accounts, he's the type of player you build a team around, however, he doesn't seem to excel in any one area...but also doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses either. gonna be a tough year for the scouts in the top 5.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 163
Quote:
Hi all

for scenario 1 and 2 go with BPA, but to be specific id say landeskog or coutorier, and then for the 5th overall pick id go with ryan murphy.

3: ride with kevin poulin and dipietro

4: radek martinek and a 2nd round pick and i think thats it. roloson and wisniewski were already traded and i believe moulson will be resigned.

5. its tough, because i believe this team needs two top 9 guys preferably two top 6 guys and a filler dman. il try and go with names.

moulson-tavares-okposo
jussi jokinen-brooks laich-comeau
bailey-nielsen-grabner
martin-konopka-hunter
joensuu

streit-eaton
macdonal-hamonic
jurcina-Hal Gill
mottau

dipietro-poulin

depth in minors are rhakashani, ullstrom, wishart, de haan, katic and koskinen.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:16 AM
pattyb91
Twitter: @pattyb94

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
If Larsson is gone: Pick Ryan Nugent Hopkins or Gabriel Landeskog
If Larsson is on the board: DRAFT HIM
Too many picks to judge who is gone but just estimating I would hope one of the 3 guys mentioned earlier drop but if they don't maybe look at Ryan Murphy (even tho we have many guys with similar styles, this kid is gonna be good), Dougie Hamilton, Jonathan Huburdeau (gonna be challenging for a top 5 pick by the end of the season), or maybe even Sven Baertschi. Of coarse with some of these guys trying to trade down would be best but they all could be potential targets.

Maybe just a depth guy in the off season because I LOVE Poulin, he is gonna be NHL ready soon (if not already) and he has what it takes to be a top 15 starter in the league. But if he is deemed not NHL ready or DP goes down with another significant injury sign an aging goalie like Osgood, Ty Conklin (I would want him the most), or Labarbera.

Jesse Joensuu (idk why I just have a gut feeling he might be moved)- I'm not sure of return
Radek Martinek- probably for a 4th round pick or 5th round pick

Too hard to predict

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Jester9881

Many people are saying Larsson is the NJD's guy if he's there when they pick. I'm going to go on record right now, and say it's actually Couturier. I think Couturier, Landeskog, RNH and maybe even Ryan Murphy all go before Larsson. JMHO

It will be interesting to see where all the chips fall.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Whoever of Larsson (foremost) or Landeskog remains - if the draft were today.

The team trades down to pick up extra picks and takes a guy like Baertschi, Armia, Jensen, Murphy, or Musil in the first.

I suspect a back-up will be brought in. Think a Conklin type. Something tells me that if Dipietro plays less than 10 more games this season, he'll be calling it quits.

Any of the UFAs they can't resign by the trade deadline. I believe this includes no less than Moulson, Martinek and Weight. Seeing Hunter moved wouldn't be a surprised, but he likely has next to no trade value at the moment.

- Dipietro for sure, unless he retires. Poulin is looking like a real heir appearant.
- Expect to see Streit, Eaton, Mottau, Jurcina, Hamonic, MacDonald and Hillen on the blueline, with de Haan and Wishart being very much in the picture.
- Expect to see Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, Comeau, Bailey and Martin up front for certain. Moulson looks like a likely signing. Niederreiter seems very likely at this point. Assume that a handful of the rest will return (Konopka, Schremp, and Hunter being the likliest). Much to the chagrin of some, Parenteau may very well be resigned. Many would hate to see Grabner be allowed to go.

As others have mentioned, some money will have to be spent just to get to the cap.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Yashin for President

If Landeskog or Larson are available take either one. I like them becasue they have the guts to be in the NHL. Most kids coming in are afraid. I think these 2 players are the closest to NHL ready as far as size and the mental part of the game. The Swedes might not have won anything at the WJC this year but their players are so prepared when it comes to playing in the NHL. If the Larson is anything like Kenny Jonsson was as far as smarts I would be thrilled. Landeskog reminds me of Forsberg. The kid has heart and Captain written all over him. He would never be captain with Tavares there but those 2 would be awesome together.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
If Landeskog or Larson are available take either one. I like them becasue they have the guts to be in the NHL. Most kids coming in are afraid. I think these 2 players are the closest to NHL ready as far as size and the mental part of the game. The Swedes might not have won anything at the WJC this year but their players are so prepared when it comes to playing in the NHL. If the Larson is anything like Kenny Jonsson was as far as smarts I would be thrilled. Landeskog reminds me of Forsberg. The kid has heart and Captain written all over him. He would never be captain with Tavares there but those 2 would be awesome together.
I agree, except with the bolded part.

I don't think Tavares is necessarily our pre-ordained future captain.

I'd even say that other long-termers like Okposo, Hamonic and even MacDonald will be ahead of him in line for that.

If his junior coach can be taken at word, then Landeskog is actually EXACTLY what Snow always claims he's after in the draft. The statements about him in relation to Mike Richards are so juicy, it's almost startling.

I generally fear the kids who as of midseason jump ahead of other guys who have been talked about for several years, but honestly, Landeskog is not just popping up out of nowhere. He spent last season in the OHL and put up decent numbers before exploding in the playoffs. He's been a top gun this whole year.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=118530

In addition, I may be partial, but for a team that is often so lousy, we sure as heck don't have much 'Swedish' on our team. I wonder what the Vancouvers and Detroits of the world would have to say about that.:-)

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Islander Prophet

People, get ready for Larsson now, it's looking like we'll have a good shot at drafting him...and if so, look for a couple of our d-Men to be traded (Martinek, Gervais, maybe Mottau)

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Right now, mynhldraft.com has us taking Landeskog at #2 with Larsson still available. Personally I'd be happy with either of them, but outside of those 2 I'm not really that high on anyone else in the top-5 except maybe Ryan Murphy.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

draft landeskog

perfect hockey player

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:01 PM
TeamKidd

i would bet that NJ takes larsson, just seems like a lou type of move. the more i hear about landy, the more i like, am still interested in RNH, courturier not so much...

still too hard to predict where we'll end up in the draft, so, this speculation is all that it is, i suppose.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:11 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
If Poulin won't get the number one spot, leaving him to play backup to that joke of a goalie is asinine. He should be in bridgeport getting 50+ starts. Goalies are a dime a dozen, the Isles can land a 1b for next to nothing.

Draft who is ever close to NHL ready, since whoever is drafted will be thrown to the wolves. I think the Isles are actually deep on the blueline, so I would stick with forwards. Unless someone is too good to pass up.

Moulson gets dealt after not being able to reach a deal by the deadline.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Many people are saying Larsson is the NJD's guy if he's there when they pick. I'm going to go on record right now, and say it's actually Couturier. I think Couturier, Landeskog, RNH and maybe even Ryan Murphy all go before Larsson. JMHO

It will be interesting to see where all the chips fall.
just throwing this out there...could the Dev's trade down to get Murphy or would they just pick him at #1. IMO..the Dev's deperately need a PMD to help QB the PP.

Larsson is the logical choice but lets say they do pass on him. Why would they pick Offense...with all the guys they have...it just wouldn't make sense to me...so I don't think its SC...it has to be a D-man. I would be utterly shocked if they picked SC 1st overall...just from a needs point of view.

I think this years draft is gonna be the most fun in awhile....no clear cut 1 or 2. Top 5 picking teams could go either D or O.

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Hipster Doofus

Trade it. We need developed talent. That pick would have high value and could return a sizeable package.

We have Poulin developing very nicely. I'd like to bring in a veteran of sorts to tandem with him next year and then turn the team over to him after that.

Opening night lineup if the team is willing to spend to the cap floor (let alone above it)

Moulson-Tavares-xxxxx
Bailey-xxxxxx-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Comeau
Martin-Konopka-Colliton (speed, size, extra faceoff man, hits, very good PK'r, why not?)

Streit-MacDonald/xxxxx
Hamonic-xxxxx/MacDonald
Jurcina-xxxxxx

Extras: Mottau, Eaton

Vet Goalie
Poulin

RWX= legitimate top six RW with wheels to give that line someone who can breakout and setup the play in the offensive zone.Tavares and Moulson can control it from there. I'd kill to bring Mayson Raymond.

CX=legitimate center who make an impact game to game. Bailey can't. In fact I'd have no problem moving Bailey all together bringing in another winger for that line. I'd kill for Richards.

Bottom six is fine. Third line is perfect. Size, lots of speed, good defensively, and all three can bring in some offensive pop that over 82 games is more than adequate for a third line. Fourth line is big and tough, Konopka the face off ace, COlly a versatile bottom sixer, and Martin could be replaced with a speedster but he brings some more muscle.

Goaltending is a concern. Would like to have kept Roloson.

Defense we need a top pairtng guy. Either to go with Streit or to anchor the other pairing. The bottom pairing needs some wheels. If Hillen can back to playing his A game he's a great option. I'd liek to get a look at Wishart. Mottau or Eaton can fill that in.

Basically 2 impact forwards (one with speed on the wing and one at center), potentially another solid forward, and an impact d-man.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Right now, mynhldraft.com has us taking Landeskog at #2 with Larsson still available. Personally I'd be happy with either of them, but outside of those 2 I'm not really that high on anyone else in the top-5 except maybe Ryan Murphy.
I'd add in Sean Courturier. Big, fast, can make plays. May not be a superstar, but a veyr nice piece to have on any team.

And that site isn't predicting who hey will pick. It takes scurrent standings and puts players in order of ISS rankings or some other service.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote