HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does Phoenix need?

Old
01-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Diehardcoyotesfan

vCash: 500
What does Phoenix need?

Before the trade deadline, who do you see the coyotes getting rid of, and acquiring? i know scoring would be a priority so, who do you think would be our best bet within our cap space?

Last edited by PhoPhan: 01-13-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: changed thread prefix
Diehardcoyotesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:38 PM
lanky

Mikkel Boedker

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

We need a top line center and injuries to Virbata and Belanger so we call up Boedker and MacLean.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:31 PM
MP

Speaking purely in terms of probabilities, I suspect one of Boedker or MacLean coming into their own as NHL-caliber scorers is about as likely as a major trade acquisition. I would vastly prefer the former, and now might be a good time to give one of them a real shot.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Kaizen

If there's no recall prior to this weekend the boys down in SA will probably play one hell of a game. The carrot is right there in front of Boedker and/or Maclean.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
kingbrutis

Remo do you play or understand hockey? Not attacking just asking. You want Vrbata and Belanger to get hurt and trash Jovo. Jovo would be our C if Doan wasn't here. I want the kids to get a chance but if your a fan of this team, you would understand that a guys like Belanger and Jovo bring way more intagable things to the team other than points. There is no way we are in a playoff spot without the vets you want injured. As for what we need, it's a healthy Bryz playing like he can and we will win the Pacific.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
Remo do you play or understand hockey? Not attacking just asking. You want Vrbata and Belanger to get hurt and trash Jovo. Jovo would be our C if Doan wasn't here. I want the kids to get a chance but if your a fan of this team, you would understand that a guys like Belanger and Jovo bring way more intagable things to the team other than points. There is no way we are in a playoff spot without the vets you want injured. As for what we need, it's a healthy Bryz playing like he can and we will win the Pacific.
I believe I understand hockey but have never played. I have played competetive sports though. I'm not going to give you my playing and coaching history because that would just be stupid. This is a message board not a job application. Belanger would be valuable on the 4th line. On the 1st line, he is a huge disadvantage for us. I know you disagree but I totally think you are wrong. Virbata and Belanger have not been effective scoring and we have to have that out of Virbata and Belanger only because he's been centering the top line. Jovo would be solid as a 3rd or 4th guy at 2mil. He makes too many bonehead plays to be a top guy at $6+ mil. If he's not scoring or being physical, he's a liability.

The only reason why I say injuries is because our coach won't give the young guys minutes unless he has too. How else do you explain Turris having a great game then getting like 6 minutes the next 3 or 4? That's rediculous. I don't wish an injury on anyone but we need some talent injected into this lineup to start getting the puck in the offensive zone to score more and take pressure off the goalies and defense.

These are my opinions obviously. I don't care if you agree and whatever experience you have playing or coaching hockey will not change what I think. I'm a STH and I want to see us play exciting hockey and win, not in that order. I don't think the talent we have getting big minutes can win a playoff series if we get there.

We do agree on one thing I think. Bryz is our most important player especially since we score 2 or less on so many nights. We definitely need to lock him up.

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/sports-overpaidnhl/8/

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...id-NHLers.html

http://communities.canada.com/saskat...n-the-nhl.aspx

Last edited by RemoAZ: 01-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
kingbrutis

What someone gets paid really is none of our bussiness. Its what they contribute the team and wins is what we as season ticket should care about. I get that if you are the owner or gm it would matter greatly. We are near the floor so its not really a factor. These are our guys and you can't get mad at what a guy makes. Bods got the call up, so hopefully he will add some speed and scoring. Well deserved.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
zz

I find it strange to be so outraged and hope for injuries while the team is on a 6-2-2 streak and sitting int the top 5 in the west. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
What someone gets paid really is none of our bussiness. Its what they contribute the team and wins is what we as season ticket should care about. I get that if you are the owner or gm it would matter greatly. We are near the floor so its not really a factor. These are our guys and you can't get mad at what a guy makes. Bods got the call up, so hopefully he will add some speed and scoring. Well deserved.
I get it. You are a Jovo fan. I'm not. That's cool. You should root for your guy. I think he's over-rated and I don't like his game but I'll cheer for him every time he scores or makes a nice play. I got a taste of the playoffs last year and I want to see us win a series this year. I don't think the team is talented enough the way it's put together right now. Boeds is back and hopefully he makes an impact. I like his speed. I'd love for MacLean to come back because we need a few shoot first guys. We have mostly pass first guys which is why I think MacLean could really make an impact on our scoring.

I also love our young defensive depth. I think we're set there for years to come which is why I didn't think the Wolski trade helped us. We'll see.

I think we can all agree that we want to win even though we have different opinions on where the team is at this point. I'm still hoping for a new center between Doan and Upshall, the three young guys back together and Hanzal between Stemp and Whitney. I would love our chances going into the playoffs with that as our top three lines and the other guys making up a more than solid 4th. I'll continue to support with my cash where my mouth is either way.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:39 PM
87turbobuick

We need scoring, but the system and coach we have will never allow big numbers. No player on a Tippet coached team has ever scored 90 points or scored 40 goals. His coaching style will get you wins but no playoff success.
Bodeker has no hockey sense and needs to be moved. I would try to move Jovo also but his salary is a hindrance. Hopefully Rozival will help but I doubt it.

87turbobuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbobuick View Post
We need scoring, but the system and coach we have will never allow big numbers. No player on a Tippet coached team has ever scored 90 points or scored 40 goals. His coaching style will get you wins but no playoff success.
Bodeker has no hockey sense and needs to be moved. I would try to move Jovo also but his salary is a hindrance. Hopefully Rozival will help but I doubt it.
What's the obsession with a need to add scoring? I'm sick of hearing every pundit say we're an "offensively challenged" team. Although it's partially true, we're middle of the pack averaging 2.79 goals per game, and that should win us plenty of games IF we were better in the areas this team is based on--solid team defense and goaltending. We need to shore up our defensive zone coverage more than anything else. We've been winning 4-3 games, which was somewhat of a rarity last season, so if we can cut down on our GAA/game we'll really be off to the races.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Boedker has no hockey sense huh?

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Boedker has no hockey sense huh?
Bodeker has no hockey sense. I can't confirm or deny as I have not seen this young man play.

Boedker will be just fine though.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:51 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Bodeker has no hockey sense. I can't confirm or deny as I have not seen this young man play.

I don't know what someone else measures hockey sense as, but I measure it in the ability to make a play and their defensive capabilities. Boedker has that on top of a high ceiling for offensive potential. Lethal shot, although underused at times, and body like Jagr according to Coach Ulf. I believe he has as much potential as anyone in our system, and is blessed with all the tools to make it happen(I wish Turris had his build). The one thing I think Boedker lacks is that killer instinct in the offensive zone. Although maybe that will be fixed in time. There were a lot of Zetterberg comparisons being thrown around his rookie year. I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect him to become a ppg player, while playing a solid two way game in his prime. To say he has no hockey sense would be inaccurate IMO.

Old
01-13-2011, 05:18 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Quote:
...also called: a joke.

Last edited by zz: 01-13-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
...also called: a joke.
I missed the Columbus joke.

The rant was more meant for the guy that said Boedker had no hockey sense. I guess I should of caught the haven't seen him part. I found that odd.

Old
01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I think we can all agree that we want to win even though we have different opinions on where the team is at this point.
Opinion? A couple facts:

1 VAN 0.738
2 DET 0.686
3 DAL 0.648
4 NSH 0.619
5 PHX 0.593

6-2-2 over the last 10 games.

And if you want my opinion, everything from the recent trade to our offense scoring more consistently and Bryzgalov slowly getting back into top form are pointing towards a better second half. Unlike last season (see the weird Aucoin SO streak as an example), I'd say no-one has over-achieved in the first half. I expect Doan / Upshall to keep it up, one of Vrbata / Stempniak to get into a scoring streak, and Turris to get more TOI and scoring opportunities.

What exactly makes you think our current position in the standings is a fluke?

Old
01-13-2011, 06:04 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
And if you want my opinion, everything from the recent trade to our offense scoring more consistently and Bryzgalov slowly getting back into top form are pointing towards a better second half. Unlike last season (see the weird Aucoin SO streak as an example), I'd say no-one has over-achieved in the first half. I expect Doan / Upshall to keep it up, one of Vrbata / Stempniak to get into a scoring streak, and Turris to get more TOI and scoring opportunities.

What exactly makes you think our current position in the standings is a fluke?
This is why I am so optimistic. They really haven't played that well outside of the winning streak and yet they are in great position. Even if there are no major additions I think the 2nd half is gonna be a good one.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:06 PM
87turbobuick

Quote:

So I misspelled his name, I guess you are perfect? Time will tell if he makes it but speed alone is not enough.

Old
01-13-2011, 06:40 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
This is why I am so optimistic. They really haven't played that well outside of the winning streak and yet they are in great position. Even if there are no major additions I think the 2nd half is gonna be a good one.
Yup. I also forgot to mention the 2nd half schedule is pretty friendly. 23 home games, 7 away games against pacific division opponents (short trips). That leaves only 9 long-distance road trips.

I'm cautiously optimistic as well.

Old
01-13-2011, 06:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
So I misspelled his name, I guess you are perfect? Time will tell if he makes it but speed alone is not enough.
Speed is Boedker's most noticeble asset. Hockey sense is his best. The vision he demonstrated in the Memorial Cup run of his draft year was amazing.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

Yeah, you know the old saying, the playoffs are all about offense. Defense loses championships, right?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

Yeah, you know the old saying, the playoffs are all about offense. Defense loses championships, right?
Look at all of Washington's Stanley Cups.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:01 PM
87turbobuick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Speed is Boedker's most noticeble asset. Hockey sense is his best. The vision he demonstrated in the Memorial Cup run of his draft year was amazing.
I did not see him in the Memorial Cup run so I hope I am wrong but since he has been here I have not been impressed.