HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Make Vancouver Unbeatable

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 500
Make Vancouver Unbeatable

So the Canucks clearly have the best team that they have had in a long long while if not ever, and many believe that this is the year to make a really strong push to win a cup. But the intriguing part of all of this is not only do they have a great team, but they also have quite a few young potentially moveable assets to possibly make a move to push this years team over the top.

Some of these assets include

Cody Hodgson
Jordan Schroeder
Anton Rodin (RW) If you havent heard of him look him up.
Sergei Shirokov
Not to mention 2011/2012 draft picks

The team would really like to retain these players in the system so its not like they are being put on the trading block, but given the right deal you could see any of the above being moved before februarys trade deadline.

Now there are some players currently playing on the team who could also be moved in the right situation. Some of the more intriguing ones include.

Mason Raymond
Jannik Hansen
Jeff Tambellini
Kevin Bieksa
Christian Ehrhoff
Keith Ballard
Cory Schneider

But let me say this; In my opinion, Bieksa has been Vancouvers best D-man behind Edler, so he will not be as "cheap" as he is often valued on these boards.

Now what do the Canucks Need. Well to be perfectly honest I don't think they "need" anything, I believe that the current team has the potential to win the cup. But sweetening the pot could'nt hurt their chances.

There are only 3 spots on this team that I see worth considering an upgrade.

1st/2nd Line Winger to play with Kesler
Strong 3rd Line Center to play as the teams 4th line center
Top 10 Defense we have all seen how important these can be the in the playoffs.

So if your team isnt going to be in the running this year; or is looking for a shake up, this is what vancouver has to offer.

Propose Away...

Old
01-12-2011, 02:34 AM
odgersfan83

You should inquire about Marty Reasoner

Old
01-12-2011, 02:39 AM
apice3*

I'm not sure if you'd want Jason Arnott on the 4th line, but if you can afford him and want to improve each part of your team, then he's yours for cheap. Something equivalent of a 2nd rounder, whether it be a pick or a prospect.

Old
01-12-2011, 02:44 AM
tv14

Not a fan of either team but what about something like:

Ott: Hodgson + Schneider + salary
For
Van: Michalek + Philips + Elliot

Not sure at all about value here, but Ottawa gets help in two places they need it most (upfront and in net) and also get younger. Vancouver gets a top 6 forward and top 4 dman.

EDIT: Not sure Vancouver can fit something like this under the cap.

Last edited by tv14: 01-12-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old
01-12-2011, 02:52 AM
keslehr*

Reasoner and Weaver for picks/prospects/salary (if needed, because there is some speculation Salo could be out till the playoffs).

I would also do a Raymond + 1st and maybe more for Alfredsson but I don't know about Ottawa's organizational needs.

Best case scenario, we don't have to give up roster players (unless we go after Alfredsson or someone similar) and Salo comes back during PO's.

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Tambellini - Kesler - Alfredsson
Hansen - Malhotra - Burrows (one damn good checking line)
Glass - Reasoner - Torres

Bolduc

Edler - Ehrhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Salo - Ballard

Alberts, Weaver

Luongo
Schneider

That would be a damned good lineup

Old
01-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

If the Canucks were to keep Salo out until the playoffs, they can trade salary for salary + 3,000,000 due to LTIR.

We could do something like Raymond + Shirokov + pick for Alfie or something like that? Just an idea. It would also leave us some space to add a depth defender or two.

Old
01-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

You guys must be crazy if u think Alfredsson is moving out of Ottawa...

Old
01-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
You guys must be crazy if u think Alfredsson is moving out of Ottawa...
Was just a suggestion. Team could use some more veteran leadership and we've got about $3mil in cap space in the bank of Salo is going to be on LTIR until the playoffs

Old
01-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

To Vancouver: Byfuglien
To Atlanta: ??????

Old
01-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Was just a suggestion. Team could use some more veteran leadership and we've got about $3mil in cap space in the bank of Salo is going to be on LTIR until the playoffs
Salo is not going to stay on the LTIR until the playoffs.
If they do that, the Canucks may as well not use him in the playoffs at all, because he will be rusty.

And besides that, there might be a possible investigation by the league to determine if Salo was ready to play/come off LTIR prior to the playoffs (which they will most likely find to be true).

Right now, Salo is doing full practices with the team. I think it would be safe to say that he would be back by the trade deadline.

Old
01-12-2011, 03:45 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Alf is old. Too old.

This is a team with a youthful dynamic. This is why (IMO) they are trying absurd strategies on the fourth line. Force fitting Glass at center on a cup run IS absurd. Bolduc seemed like an option, but his play has fallen off after the initial glow of having a center. Any center.

I'd like Pahlsson. I'd accept Commodore to facilitate this. I'd pay almost nothing.

Or, I'd target Mair and pay nothing.

Or Wellwood. Again, I'd pay no players, just salary.

My point is that the OP is wildly optimistic about who might go. The reality is there isn't a lot to go. Nor is there any need to force a trade. Forced trades can be damaging. Why risk it? Moving a vet might compromise the whole enchilada. Chemistry, you know.

Old
01-12-2011, 03:51 AM
DamonDRW

I think one trade for a star player (e.g. Alfredsson) will not make Vancouver much stronger than other contenders (see Phily, Red Wings, Boston). You need more than that and it would take too many of your valuable young assets. Try to win as is, it is not like next years your team will turn to the garbage. Practically, Vancouver will be contender as long as they have Sedin-Kesler-Malhotra skeleton at the center...

Old
01-12-2011, 03:54 AM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Not a fan of either team but what about something like:

Ott: Hodgson + Schneider + salary
For
Van: Michalek + Philips + Elliot

Not sure at all about value here, but Ottawa gets help in two places they need it most (upfront and in net) and also get younger. Vancouver gets a top 6 forward and top 4 dman.

EDIT: Not sure Vancouver can fit something like this under the cap.
Beware, you might get flamed.

We have no need for a lateral exchange in the backup goalie situation. Especially since Schnieder has a lot higher upside than Elliott.
Michalek and Phillips are players we are looking for and we are definitely not dealing Hodgson + salary dump for them.

Old
01-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Boondock

I think the Canucks could use a 4th line Center, and a 6th d-man. I think the ideal pieces would be Reasoner and Montador, combined they make roughly 2.3 so I'm not sure how that would work with the cap. If they can't move the appropriate salary, I would suggest they bring up Hodgson for the playoffs to play 4th line center - he is sound defensively, and would be an upgrade to Bolduc

I don't know what the Canucks will do about Salo and his salary, but if there was a way to keep him on IR until just before the playoffs, and let him do a conditioning stint in Manitoba he could be a valuable upgrade on defense.

Sedin / Sedin / Burrows
Raymond / Kesler / Tambi
Torres / Malhotra / Samuelsson
Glass / Hodgson / Hansen

Edler / Ehrhoff
Bieksa / Hamhuis
Ballard / Salo

Luongo / Schneider

I would be happy with that line-up going into the playoffs

Old
01-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Salo is not going to stay on the LTIR until the playoffs.
If they do that, the Canucks may as well not use him in the playoffs at all, because he will be rusty.

And besides that, there might be a possible investigation by the league to determine if Salo was ready to play/come off LTIR prior to the playoffs (which they will most likely find to be true).

Right now, Salo is doing full practices with the team. I think it would be safe to say that he would be back by the trade deadline.
Talk to Wetcoaster, he's got the whole story that's been rehashed in the same Canucks thread a thousand times.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:00 AM
poolio88

How bout something with calgary.....

Calgary- Rene Bourque 3.33
Karlsson, Henrik .500
1st rounder 2011 (from trading Kipper )
2nd rounder 2012

Vancouver-Cody Hodgson
Schneider, Cory

Old
01-12-2011, 04:01 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odgersfan83 View Post
You should inquire about Marty Reasoner
I agree... made a thread about it but Panther fans said it would take a bit to get him away because of a career year....etc

Old
01-12-2011, 04:23 AM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

They look a little unbeatable to me.

No but seriously trading Bieksa and Samuelsson for Gaborik would make them unbeatable!

Old
01-12-2011, 05:19 AM
0123456789*

The only thing this team could improve is the fourth line center spot. The line is still the teams weak spot and although Bolduc hasnt been horrible and still young he also hasnt been good enough for this team lately.

I think it has been said but if Reasoner could be had then Vancouver would be a much better team with him and at the end of the season he could walk. Its pretty likely he will be traded by the deadline the only problem is that there will be many teams interested so the price is fairly unpredictable. The good thing is that there is a history of talks and trades between the two managers and that always makes negotiations easier so dealings between the two teams should run smoother than they otherwise run. Ballard trade being a big one and then the Hordichuck trade being one of those I scratch your back you scratch mine type of trades that often times are a hint of a good business relationship between two managers.

Another option that COULD work is Gaustad out of Buffalo, he would also be a great fit on the fourth line. The problem with him is that he is signed for another year at 2.3mill which will require more shuffeling and work on the Canucks part next year. The good thing though is that he is used to playing wing so with his size he would add a new dynamic to the team and it makes it easier to shuffle him around outside of a 4th line role. The other bad thing is that although Buffalo will likely be sellers they may still want to hold on to him as he fits well in to their lineup from what I see.

In the end the Canucks are fine without making trades so I think it will depend on whats available and what the plan is with Salo. Gillis is under no pressure to do anything. And there isnt much he would likely part with, picks or maybe one of the mid level prospects and even Bolduc going the other way would have some weight as he is 25 and a RFA next year while making the league minimum. He is good enough to play on the fourth line and should get better with time, he wont be much more than that but for any team dumping salary and looking forward to next year he has value.

Last edited by 0123456789*: 01-12-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old
01-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

I dont think we can make them avoid playing the Blackhawks in the playoffs.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:33 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
I dont think we can make them avoid playing the Blackhawks in the playoffs.
No Byfuglien or Ladd = No problem.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:46 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
To Vancouver: Byfuglien
To Atlanta: ??????
Kesler + Edler

Old
01-12-2011, 06:27 AM
static80

To the Canucks:

4th Line Center
Paul Gaustad - 2.3 mil for 2 seasons (pro rated for this season obviously)
Solid Defenseman
Steve Montador - 1.55 mil for this season (UFA)
Total: 3.85 mil this season (pro rated of course)

To the Sabres:

Kevin Bieksa - 3.75 mil this season (pro rated of course and a UFA)
1st rd pick 2012
2nd rd pick 2011

The best I could do with the cap situation. But, it fills the needs you were looking for.
Or we could just go with Gaustad for Vancouver's 1st rd pick in 2011. Pay to play, so to speak.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Tetrastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Kesler + Edler
That would be a massive overpayment.

The two areas the Canucks could improve on is the Second line wing and fourth line center.

As many have mentioned, Reasoner would appear to be the best option, but the price might be too much.

I'd personally like to see something like

To Wasington:
Kevin Bieksa

To Vancouver
David Steckle

It's likely an overpayment for a fourth line player, but with Salo returning the Canucks need to move a defenseman. The Washington capitals get a physical top 4 defensemen whose about to become a UFA and the Canucks get a 6'5 fourth line center who leads the league in Face Off percentage.

Henrik Sedin - Kesler - Maholtra - Steckel would make for pretty terrific depth at the center position.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:15 AM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
To the Canucks:

4th Line Center
Paul Gaustad - 2.3 mil for 2 seasons (pro rated for this season obviously)
Solid Defenseman
Steve Montador - 1.55 mil for this season (UFA)
Total: 3.85 mil this season (pro rated of course)

To the Sabres:

Kevin Bieksa - 3.75 mil this season (pro rated of course and a UFA)
1st rd pick 2012
2nd rd pick 2011

The best I could do with the cap situation. But, it fills the needs you were looking for.
Or we could just go with Gaustad for Vancouver's 1st rd pick in 2011. Pay to play, so to speak.
Terrible deal for Vancouver....

Besides the Canucks have to drop some salary. This just adds more. 2.3m is way too much to pay for a 4th line Center and the picks alone would have been overpayment imo.

Closed Thread