HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

vCash: 500
Canes Board Lounge Part 2

I believe we were on favorite Triangle restaurants.

01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
If you're trying to say that the food sucks...you're right.
No, actually I don't believe I've ever tried it on the 4-5 occasions I've been there (maybe had an appetizer or something, can't remember). So I can't comment because I just don't know.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Chrispy

I'll have to try Tribeca Tavern for dinner sometime. I tried it for brunch at one point but the brunch menu didn't impress me that much. Plus, a restaurant we like so close to our house would be nice.

In other Cary restaurant news, the cursed location (the brick restaurant at Cary Parkway and High House, formerly Jasper's, Chuck 'Em, Mama Mia, Ocean Grill, and Georgio's) is going to be a Mellow Mushroom next. I think that will actually stick in Cary, although that says more about Cary and perhaps the price of that location than about the previous restaurants.

As far as favorite local restaurant options, my wife & I are big fans of Peak City Grill in Apex. It's especially good in the fall with some of the seasonal things they do.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

These were some of my favorites when I lived in Raleigh:

The Pit
The Raleigh Times
The Rockford
Hotpoint Deli
Sitti
Oakwood Cafe
Moonlight Pizza
Tobacco Road
Thaiphoon
Ole Time Barbecue
Finch's

I actually liked the food at Tyler's every time I ate there. I usually just got a burger and fries, though.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
In other Cary restaurant news, the cursed location (the brick restaurant at Cary Parkway and High House, formerly Jasper's, Chuck 'Em, Mama Mia, Ocean Grill, and Georgio's) is going to be a Mellow Mushroom next. I think that will actually stick in Cary, although that says more about Cary and perhaps the price of that location than about the previous restaurants.
Rent there is like $13-16k a month... That's why they are failing... I always thought a place like Bonefish should move there... The Weston/Harrison location is always packed, bar included, that location would give them more room and Bonefish is stable enough to make the rent

Thanks Coop... Totally forgot about Tobacco Road... The one at the DBAP is great

Old
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I'll have to try Tribeca Tavern for dinner sometime. I tried it for brunch at one point but the brunch menu didn't impress me that much. Plus, a restaurant we like so close to our house would be nice.

Yeah, Brunch wasn't my style there to be honest...

Old
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Boom Boom Anton

What's everyone's favorite Wings place. I like Em-R wings in Apex.

EDIT: for the Wings (not for going to watch a game or anything).

Old
01-13-2011, 11:11 AM
bleedgreen

Garnett, did you say cinnamon porter mixed with a red in the other thread?

That sounds delightful. I've never tried a cinnamon porter. Breckenridge brewery here in co has a vanilla porter that is tasty. Sounds like you guys do well with the microbrews.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:29 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
from Part 1: yeah, the food at Tyler's isn't that great. But it's not that bad and it's certainly better then the Ale House. The burgers are solid, the salad's are good, and some of the appetizer stuff is pretty good (notably the wings and pretzels). Anything else and you're taking your chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
What's everyone's favorite Wings place. I like Em-R wings in Apex.

EDIT: for the Wings (not for going to watch a game or anything).
Buffalo Bros up in Raleigh. Em-R is a pretty good #2 option to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post

That sounds delightful. I've never tried a cinnamon porter. Breckenridge brewery here in co has a vanilla porter that is tasty. Sounds like you guys do well with the microbrews.
I've had the Breckenridge, it's a great concept but it's not as good as it could be. Kindof disappointing as the Avalanche Ale and the Oatmeal Stout are both pretty good. I'd try it once at least if you can find it on tap or as an individual bottle in a bottle shop.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post

I did indeed. They do two floaters - the Hurricane Hollow (the cinnamon porter/red ale mix) and Forgotten Hammer (a mix of their FoeHammer barleywine and the cinnamon porter). Both are tasty, tasty beverages.

The microbrew scene is expanding here - still not as big as it is in Asheville, for instance, but it's becoming a good scene. Greg Cox with the N&O did a good article on the beer scene in the Triangle really starting to bloom: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/11/...-for-beer.html.

I'm not quite sure who's in his even dozen. Off the top of my head I can come up with 10, including the new trio he mentions (Roth, Fullsteam, and Mystery). Anyone know the two I'm forgetting?

1) Big Boss - Raleigh
2) Aviator - Fuquay
3) Carolina Brewing Company - Holly Springs
4) Roth - Raleigh
5) Mystery - Nomadic
6) Fullsteam - Durham
7) Lonerider - Raleigh
8) Boylan Bridge - Raleigh
9) Triangle - Durham
10) Carolina Brewing & Brewpub - Chapel Hill

As for the wings discussion - I've been pretty happy with the ones I had at Brick House on Hillsborough, but I'm no big wings fan/connoisseur.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Not Raleigh, but we're finally getting a Carolina Ale House over here in Greenville. There's been word we would for awhile now, but they finally announced where it's going in and that they're starting the remodel soon. That place is going to be rocking, especially with all the college kids from the Raleigh area around here. Hoping the Canes do a Cool Bars over here eventually so I can finally go to one, too.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

The best wings used to be at Beef O'Brady's, but they closed.. Now, now I love Buffalo Wings and Rings, but not for their buffalo sauce, cause it sucks... But their other 8 sauces are great, especially their Crazy sauce... For buffalo sauce wings I stick to Buff Bro's, Wild Wings Cafe, and BW3's

Old
01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I'm usually not into big chains, but I've always liked Wild Wing Cafe. I like places that have a huge variety of sauces. Even after going to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, I still don't think I've found a place that I would really prefer over Wild Wings. That said, I've never really gone looking for good wings, because it's not something I eat too often.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Wild Wings Cafe is about the only place that gets extra crispy right... Good beer selection at some of their places too, Like Savannah

Old
01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Anton View Post
Not Raleigh, but we're finally getting a Carolina Ale House over here in Greenville. There's been word we would for awhile now, but they finally announced where it's going in and that they're starting the remodel soon. That place is going to be rocking, especially with all the college kids from the Raleigh area around here. Hoping the Canes do a Cool Bars over here eventually so I can finally go to one, too.
You can bank on that happening. This is year 2 of them going to Wilmington, and they're going to Fayetteville this year too to the one that just opened up.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

The rooftop Carolina Ale House that they are building on Glenwood South looks like it could be really cool.

It's a shame that their food and beer selection are both mediocre.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
I'm usually not into big chains, but I've always liked Wild Wing Cafe. I like places that have a huge variety of sauces. Even after going to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, I still don't think I've found a place that I would really prefer over Wild Wings. That said, I've never really gone looking for good wings, because it's not something I eat too often.
Wings are kind of hard to rate IMO because peoples tastes vary so much on those. Some like only traditional buffalo style, some like very hot, some like sweet, etc...

I thought WWC was ok, but nothing special (but I'm kind of like you, don't eat wings very often). EM-R wings is close for me and I liked it. I've never tried Buffalo Brothers or some of other ones Hurricane Anton listed, but if I find myself in those areas, I'll probably give one of them a try.

I really want to try one of those beers Garnett has been posting about. Might have to make the trip up there..and I am probably going to give Tribeca a try (maybe before Saturday's game if I can swing it).

Old
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Wild Wings Cafe is about the only place that gets extra crispy right... Good beer selection at some of their places too, Like Savannah
Can't say I've been disappointed by their selection any time I've gone there. The one in Durham isn't stellar but they always have something good like Sweetwater 420 on tap. The wings are done the right way too.

Old
Guy

Quote:
The rooftop Carolina Ale House that they are building on Glenwood South
Hasn't that been "OPENING SOON!!!!" for like 3 years now?

Old
01-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Yeah, but I think they are actually moving on it now. Their website says 2011, but I don't know when that was updated: http://www.carolinaalehouse.com/glenwood

Old
01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Guy

Yeah, that's definitely new. I definitely remember the "opening soon" being there at least 2 years ago.

As far as the food selection, it is pretty crappy. I've never cared terribly about their beer selection because usually the only time I'm in one is for a Cool Bars and I end up getting whatever is on special so I don't spend an assload of money. I generally only go to the first one of the year now to get in the commercial.

I remember during the draft a few years ago the Panthers were picking and they said something about their viewing party at the Carolina Ale House and I was pissed, then I found out they had locations down there.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

BTW, La Mez is nice to for Contemporary Mexican... Great Bar too, with tons of top end liquor and a few nice beers like Working's Man Lunch.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I so wish Cool Bars would rotate.. I despise The Ale House

Old
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

BTW, the new Rudinos by the RBC actually does a decent job for simple bar food and grinders... Nothing like some of the nicer places we're talked about, but definitely worth a lunch stop or after game stop

Old
01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Anton View Post
You mean they're finally adding a sports bar that follows hockey? No way.

I swear, Buffalo Wild Wings is OK for what they're trying to do, but you ask any of the servers there to turn a TV to Versus and you're met with a blank stare and a question if that channel actually exists.

Closed Thread