HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2011, 11:23 AM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

vCash: 500
Not too familiar with different places in Raleigh. Usually just go to the same places over again.

1. The Pit
2. Buffalo Bros.
3. Cooper's
4. McCall's
5. Brasas
6. Chipotle
7. Five Guys
8. Q shack
9. Twisted Fork
10. Steve's Place

Also Red Oak is the best North Carolina beer.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonFromAppState View Post
Red Oak is the best North Carolina beer.

My female friend here disagrees

Old
01-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Chrispy

Surprised at all of the comments about Ale House's food. I've been happy with the specials most times I go to the Cary location, although I don't tend to go for packed evenings like Cool Bars or NFL Sundays.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I don't eat out enough to try all these different restaurants I'd go broke.

On that note, has anyone tried Tony's Oyster bar in Cary (right by Jimmy V's restaurant). I went there once for Oysters (it was great, but I can't rate a place just on their Oysters). A couple of people have told me that they have very good food on the dinner/lunch menu. I was also told they have music on the weekends (DJ on thursday, Bands on F/S) and that it's a popular place.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Surprised at all of the comments about Ale House's food. I've been happy with the specials most times I go to the Cary location, although I don't tend to go for packed evenings like Cool Bars or NFL Sundays.
I think the food has gone downhill in the past couple years or so. The specials are still alright but that's about the only thing I'll order at this point. Then again this is also at the Briar Creek location so I don't know if there's simply a better chef in Cary or not.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I'm gonna move all the local food and beer discussion to the visitor's guide thread, not because it doesn't belong in this one, but because it could be helpful for anyone looking through that thread in the future.

01-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I don't eat out enough to try all these different restaurants I'd go broke.

On that note, has anyone tried Tony's Oyster bar in Cary (right by Jimmy V's restaurant). I went there once for Oysters (it was great, but I can't rate a place just on their Oysters). A couple of people have told me that they have very good food on the dinner/lunch menu. I was also told they have music on the weekends (DJ on thursday, Bands on F/S) and that it's a popular place.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.
I love Tony's ONLY for their oyster bar part... The music is annoying, the booths are old an uncomfortable, the bar is too small and full of 50 year old women trying to hook up with 21 year old guys... But I do love the Oyster Bar part

Old
01-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
I'm gonna move all the local food and beer discussion to the visitor's guide thread, not because it doesn't belong in this one, but because it could be helpful for anyone looking through that thread in the future.
The discussion might die in there, why not move it in a few days when it dies down?

Old
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Fair point. I think I'll actually just link to this.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Fair point. I think I'll actually just link to this.

See I'm moderator material I tell ya

Old
01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonFromAppState View Post
Also Red Oak is the best North Carolina beer.
It's not bad, but Natty Greene's, Foothills, Highland, Mother Earth, Aviator, DuckRabbit and Big Boss all have better offerings. I won't turn up my nose at a Red Oak, but there's better beer to be had. Also, next time you're down this way, try Chubby's Tacos. You'll kick Chipotle to the curb.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Indeed. One of the main qualifications needed to become a moderator is the ability to have heated "discussions" while drunk.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
You mean they're finally adding a sports bar that follows hockey? No way.
Well, we do have two that semi follow hockey. Professor O'Cools was my hangout during the Cup run, and Tiebreakers also had a good following. Both have Center Ice, so can show any game.

You'll also find some games at other locations - BW3's, Pirates Den, Hooters - but none of them have Center Ice to my knowledge. Or at least they haven't in the past.

It will be nice to have an "official" Canes hangout in town, though. We've got a lot more fans in the area than you'd realize, but everybody is kind of spread out. Hopefully CAH will change that.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Carter View Post
I think the food has gone downhill in the past couple years or so. The specials are still alright but that's about the only thing I'll order at this point. Then again this is also at the Briar Creek location so I don't know if there's simply a better chef in Cary or not.
That may explain a lot. Had been to the Briar Creek location several years ago and really enjoyed it. Just tried it a week or so ago, and it was very, very slow. Sucked because we were in a hurry, and it wasn't enjoyable at all.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:17 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Carter View Post

I've had the Breckenridge, it's a great concept but it's not as good as it could be. Kindof disappointing as the Avalanche Ale and the Oatmeal Stout are both pretty good. I'd try it once at least if you can find it on tap or as an individual bottle in a bottle shop.
the Denver chophouse has an wild turkey barrel conditioned oatmeal stout that is my favorite here in town. i love the new belgium 1554 as well. we have so many micro brews i cant keep up, i lost a whole bunch of weight avoiding it all for a while and havent let myself go crazy like i used to.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I did indeed. They do two floaters - the Hurricane Hollow (the cinnamon porter/red ale mix) and Forgotten Hammer (a mix of their FoeHammer barleywine and the cinnamon porter). Both are tasty, tasty beverages.
they sound it. i dont know that they have that around here, ill have to look a bit harder. hopefully someday ill get out there for a game and sample all this you guys are talking about.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Indeed. One of the main qualifications needed to become a moderator is the ability to have heated "discussions" while drunk.
I think it's very important...

Old
01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Guy

vCash: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Anton View Post
Well, we do have two that semi follow hockey. Professor O'Cools was my hangout during the Cup run, and Tiebreakers also had a good following. Both have Center Ice, so can show any game.

You'll also find some games at other locations - BW3's, Pirates Den, Hooters - but none of them have Center Ice to my knowledge. Or at least they haven't in the past.

It will be nice to have an "official" Canes hangout in town, though. We've got a lot more fans in the area than you'd realize, but everybody is kind of spread out. Hopefully CAH will change that.
BW3 would be a good spot if they had center ice. A friend of mine claims that they do now, but I haven't checked it out and I doubt he'd really know. I haven't been to Tiebreakers in years or when I wasn't completely sloshed, so I don't know anything about the general layout of the place. I would think O'Cools would be a pretty lame spot to watch the games actually. It's segmented into a lot of different areas with no real large bar area. The few times I've been around on a Sunday and watched football there I've been disappointed.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Can't believe the lack of love for Lonerider... A non NC microbrew I love is Blue Star our of California

Old
01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
The discussion might die in there, why not move it in a few days when it dies down?
Thank you, this cannot die down. If this board is quiet, I'll be going back to discussing Wake Forest athletics.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Can't believe the lack of love for Lonerider... A non NC microbrew I love is Blue Star our of California
I've got plenty of love for Lonerider. I didn't mean to exclude them from my list of what's better than Red Oak. We try to keep a sixer of Shotgun Betty or Deadeye Jack in our fridge at all times. I'm excited to try Gunslinger, their new pilsner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Thank you, this cannot die down. If this board is quiet, I'll be going back to discussing Wake Forest athletics.
They play sports at Wake Forest? I kid...if the wife saw that, I'd be sleeping on the couch!

Old
01-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

mmmmmmmm, love a good Pilsner

Old
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Guy

vCash: 322
attn: Rod Brind'Amour
subj: don't do things like this
body: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RT6Wh-GuMs

Old
01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
attn: Rod Brind'Amour
subj: don't do things like this
body: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RT6Wh-GuMs
Oof. I guess Rod just wanted to show Commie that he's not the only former Cane who can be in a music video?

Old
01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Oof. I guess Rod just wanted to show Commie that he's not the only former Cane who can be in a music video?
I understand the Hurricanes love using this song because it mentions "Hurricane" in the song but could they at least show something in the video with a hurricanes logo and not just one shoulder patch?

Closed Thread