HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if you could do over a minor trade

Old
01-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
For a guy who had done nothing special at the time, and was acting like a complete *ouche in the last few months that he was here, Pateryn and a 2010 2nd rounder was a pretty good deal. Even if he had stayed, he never would have fit on this team, we have too many top 6 players ahead of him. He just fits better on Toronto because they have nobody much better than him.

That they traded the 2nd rounder in order to get Tinordi is more of sticking point for me, I thought they would just go after Jon Merrill but I guess they really wanted Tinordi.

What I'm also surprised about is that they were able to get more for Grabovski than S. Kostitsyn. It appeared that SK had done more with his career and had at least as much potential. i guess they just didn't trade him at the right time, or to the team that really wanted him.
SK had a lot of baggage in Montreal, Grbovsky didn't, that's the big difference.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Can you explain why ? The guy is still useless in Anaheim. DRAFTING him was the absolute waste.

Anyway...

This team doesn't need a MINOR trade. they need a MAJOR one !

As for re-doing a minor trade, I would undo the Grabovski's one.
Which player type going forward would you like to see us go after? I think we need someone to be a playmaker for cammy, also I kind of miss the presence of a fighter, not a guy like Laraque but a guy that can actually keep up with the play.cheers.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Can you explain why ? The guy is still useless in Anaheim. DRAFTING him was the absolute waste.

Anyway...

This team doesn't need a MINOR trade. they need a MAJOR one !

As for re-doing a minor trade, I would undo the Grabovski's one.
What major trade would they need?

The biggest issue this year so far is Markov's injury because it affects everybody else on the roster directly and indirectly...but no trade will overturn that, unless Chicago suddenly grows tired of Keith or LA of Doughty.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
SK had a lot of baggage in Montreal, Grbovsky didn't, that's the big difference.
I guess so...

What's annoying is that people see the glass half-empty mostly when viewing the SK trade. The way i see it is like this: It's almost impossible to judge the trade at this moment because the circumstances for both players are completely different. SK in now on a team that has suffered massive injuries to their top 6 all year long. Boyd is on a team that has barely any injuries to the top 6 (even top 9) all year long. Is SK a better player than Boyd? Really hard to know. Boyd never had a chance to produce with the Habs. SK did have a chance with the Preds. Boyd has 11 goals in 12 games in Hamilton, and did score 11 goals in 71 games in Calgary. He does have talent, he can score. If SK was still with the Habs, he probably would have been in the exact same spot that Boyd is right now. All to say that there are so many intangibles here that you can't say if we won or lost a trade here.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:42 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
June 20, 2008

1st Round pick in 2008 (Greg Nemisz) and 2nd Round pick in 2009 (Stefan Elliott) traded to Calgary Flames for Alex Tanguay and 5th round selection in 2008 (Maxim Trunev).
I would re-do this trade, I think that Montreal should of kept the draft picks in both 2008 and 2009 and drafted the following players:

2008 (1st round draft pick)

- Tyler Ennis

2009 (2nd round draft pick)

- Landon Ferraro

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Bud2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I still like this trade. The trade I would redo is the O'bryne trade. Bournival sounds like a nice prospect, but with our D injuries I'd take him back. Still can't believe they chose Picard over O'bryne. Big Fail.
I'd redo that trade in a heartbeat! Especially when I hear my friend who is a huge Avs fan tell me that OB is their 2nd best d-man right now...

His list

1. Liles
2a. OB
2b. Shattenkirk

I guess me being a huge fan of his and now seeing him do so well in Colorado, and not exactly knowing much about Bournival doesn't help. And yeah, chosing Picard over O'Byrne was a huuuuge fail.

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Bud2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I would re-do this trade, I think that Montreal should of kept the draft picks in both 2008 and 2009 and drafted the following players:

2008 (1st round draft pick)

- Tyler Ennis

2009 (2nd round draft pick)

- Landon Ferraro
I was happy we got Tanguay back then, but yeah, I'd also take that trade back. I was pretty high on Carlson, hoping we'd pick him...I think everyone would love Carlson..

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I guess so...

What's annoying is that people see the glass half-empty mostly when viewing the SK trade. The way i see it is like this: It's almost impossible to judge the trade at this moment because the circumstances for both players are completely different. SK in now on a team that has suffered massive injuries to their top 6 all year long. Boyd is on a team that has barely any injuries to the top 6 (even top 9) all year long. Is SK a better player than Boyd? Really hard to know. Boyd never had a chance to produce with the Habs. SK did have a chance with the Preds. Boyd has 11 goals in 12 games in Hamilton, and did score 11 goals in 71 games in Calgary. He does have talent, he can score. If SK was still with the Habs, he probably would have been in the exact same spot that Boyd is right now. All to say that there are so many intangibles here that you can't say if we won or lost a trade here.
Frankly what's annoying is that people continue to call this a trade. PG gave a player for 2 free agents that were almost immediately avaialable for nothing and for which he should have known there was little or no market interest. It's insulting to call this a trade.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Adam91

Ribeiro. Absolutley hated the trade since the minute it happened.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:04 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
How so? He could be a decent 2nd liner if he plays consistently.

He'd be 5th on the Habs in points and tied for 4th in goals.
he could but he doesnt, therefore -> 3rd liner.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He made out pretty good for a guy that got 48 and 35 points in Toronto with a lot of ice time. He would have ended up KHL if he stayed here...plus do we want 12 small, soft guys that have to play top 6(SK D'agostini Grabovsky)?
Ya boy it was great watching grabovski become a 1st line centre and injure markov. What an excellent trade! We should always make trades within our division! No way those could come back to haunt us right guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
ya, McDo who couldn't even crack an AHL lineup for Gomez who is ppg since december, who helped us get guys like cammaleri and gionta which were major parts in getting us to the ECF.

I really, really miss McDo.
Nice fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
McDo was a +1 agains the Habs the other night.
The Huet for a 2nd rounder is also one of epic failure. Nothing like dealing away your best goalie right before the playoffs. Rookies always succeed in the playoffs with lots of pressure.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Habs

I wouldn't mind starting with the LeClair/Desjardins deal and then ... of course Roy wouldn't leave for nothing... how do you plan on generating the 1.21 Gigawatts needed to set this right?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:14 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

D'Agostini was a biggest bum ever to lace up for Habs. He was a nightmare on skates. Would never ever ever ever ever ever want him back, I don't care how not-terrible he's doing in STL. I'll take Palushaj, thank you very much.

At this point wouldn't mind having OB around so we don't have to see Picard every second day. I actually liked O'B when he was here. That having been said I'm happy with the return we got, and that it's given Weber an opportunity to play more.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:15 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ya boy it was great watching grabovski become a 1st line centre and injure markov. What an excellent trade! We should always make trades within our division! No way those could come back to haunt us right guys?
Yeah! to think we just gave them the missing piece for a SCF appearance, what a dumb move!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
AntonCH

If the trades are minor, how much of an impact can they really have?
If not they what difference does it really make?

That being said I'd take back O'Byrne in a heartbeat.

Going back a few years i would've kept Lupien

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:43 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
If the trades are minor, how much of an impact can they really have?
If not they what difference does it really make?

That being said I'd take back O'Byrne in a heartbeat.

Going back a few years i would've kept Lupien
Well if were going back that far Montreal messed up trading Langway. Imagine the 86 Habs with Robinson Chelios Langway.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yeah! to think we just gave them the missing piece for a SCF appearance, what a dumb move!
How long did he knock markov out for again? Remind me.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
D'Agostini was a biggest bum ever to lace up for Habs. He was a nightmare on skates. Would never ever ever ever ever ever want him back, I don't care how not-terrible he's doing in STL. I'll take Palushaj, thank you very much.

At this point wouldn't mind having OB around so we don't have to see Picard every second day. I actually liked O'B when he was here. That having been said I'm happy with the return we got, and that it's given Weber an opportunity to play more.
You are an amazing judge of talent

HCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:48 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You are an amazing judge of talent
One of those posts where I'm not sure if I'm being mocked or praised

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
ChoseLa

I would send AK for Pouliot instead of Lats.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
If we had the opportunity to turn back the clock, would you still trade Matt D'Agostini for Aaron Palushaj? I know that Palushaj is still just a kid but his production in the AHL makes me wonder if he will ever make it in the NHL. On the other hand, D'Agostini (although far from a superstar) has chipped in with decent numbers.

Not a flame on Palushaj. Just wondering if you had a "do over", would you?

br99
So far I have a bad feeling about the two St Louis trades - d'agostini for palushaj and halak for shultz/eller. I think Gauthier should have gotten much more in return, especially for Halak.

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:26 PM
habshound247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Ribeiro. Absolutley hated the trade since the minute it happened.
I agree. And if they had kept Ribs, Scott Gomez probably wouldn't be on the roster, and McDonagh would be on the blue-line.

P.S. Hi Janne

habshound247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:35 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
So far I have a bad feeling about the two St Louis trades - d'agostini for palushaj and halak for shultz/eller. I think Gauthier should have gotten much more in return, especially for Halak.
The same Halak who is 26th in save percentage and 17th in goal against average... I think you've been listening to Pierre McGuire too much

HCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Krnage

vCash: 400
Andrei kostitsyn for NY Islander Ice girls

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

He wasn't worth a 1st round draft pick (or at least, he wasn't after he had that brutal achilles injury), but last season he was very good for the ducks in a full-time 4th line centre role, and this year he was fine until he suffered a concussion.

He's, at worst, a good 4th line centre, and if he ever manages to stay healthy and put together 1-2 seasons, I still think he could be an effective 3rd liner.

He's tough, he's got a great attitude/work ethic, and he's a team first guy... all qualities that are perfect for a 4th line role... and for a team so lacking in toughness as we are, I think we had better use for him than for the 4th round pick.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote