HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Okposo Update -- **SCHEDULED TO PLAY VS. CAPS**

Old
01-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Bones45

vCash: 500
Okposo Update -- **SCHEDULED TO PLAY VS. CAPS**

From that horrible LI paper:

........Okposo all but guaranteed he would return this season. "I don't believe there is any chance that I won't play this year,'' he said. "It felt good, just good to get back on the ice and be with the guys again. I'm still a few weeks away. I've got to work on a couple more things, get a little bit stronger, get some contact and I'll be good to go.''..........

Seems like the Isles mis-represented yet another injury. There was NEVER any discussion or comment as far as KO not playing this year at all. And now, in mid January, he is finally "a few weeks away" from playing? Sure is a big difference b/t Dec return and sometime in February.

Does this team EVER not lie to its fans? I hate them more and more everyday.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Brunomics

Maybe it's not healing as quick as they originially thought? Or maybe it is not up to Okposo's standard in order to be playing in games at this point and he wants to be 100% sure he's ready to go? There are a number of things that could have changed since that original prognosis and you know what I'm fine with it. Of course I want to see him back in a uni as soon as possible but not at the risk of another injury. This isn't a time to be blaming NYI for lying about anything.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Islander Prophet

I think he'll be back sometime next week

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
isles31
Poster Excellont

Well in all honesty, for a longterm injury, its tough to say someone with definitively be back by a date. Also, seems kyle wants to make sure he's 100 pct, which is smart. Why the rush? Yea I wanna see him out there, but not if he's not ready. It wasn't a broken bone, which would be easier to diagnose.

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:29 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post

........Okposo all but guaranteed he would return this season. "I don't believe there is any chance that I won't play this year,'' he said. "It felt good, just good to get back on the ice and be with the guys again. I'm still a few weeks away. I've got to work on a couple more things, get a little bit stronger, get some contact and I'll be good to go.''..........

Seems like the Isles mis-represented yet another injury. There was NEVER any discussion or comment as far as KO not playing this year at all. And now, in mid January, he is finally "a few weeks away" from playing? Sure is a big difference b/t Dec return and sometime in February.

Lieing is in the DNA of the owner, and the GM has followed suit.
Lieing is a management strategy in Uniondale, considered a core competency when applied to the outside world.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Groin Of Bates

Closer, but.....

......he'll miss the season.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:31 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I found out at the game Tuesday night that he is "at least two weeks away."

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Wedregast

I'm glad they are taking there time with Okposo. Rather he doesn't come back too soon like Peca many seasons ago, just to get almost immediately reinjured (or DP everytime he comes back).

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Bones45

Agreed with much of what you wrote Brunomics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
This isn't a time to be blaming NYI for lying about anything.
Unlike investments, with the Isles, "Past results are a VERY GOOD INDICATOR of future performance..."

No reason to believe they have changed their ways..

Old
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:

Bones, you are usually spot on with your arguments and reasons to gripe. This however, I think your a little off base. The thing is, injuries take time to heal, some heal faster than others, and (especially in a season thats a loss like this one) let him take all the time he needs to get ready. If it's 2 or 3 weeks more than originally thought to be, so be it! The thing we all want is a happy, healthy KO when he comes back!

More importantly is, I don't think the team meant to lie, in September / October when the first diagnosed it, they gave an estimate. Then, they watch how it heals and bring the prognsis to 'week-to-week', 'day-to-day'. Can't blame them for this one.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Agreed with much of what you wrote Brunomics.

Unlike investments, with the Isles, "Past results are a VERY GOOD INDICATOR of future performance..."

No reason to believe they have changed their ways..

Bones I agree with you about 99% of the time that the NYI are ************ us and are lying sacks of ****, but with the Okposo injury I feel it's a different animal. This is the .0001% that I feel they are being truthful with him because of the type of injury he has.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

or maybe it was end of december, he healed a little slower than planned and they looked at the team and said "don't rush it kid"

i know that the NYI organization under Wang has a history of this so it brings out the nasty, but this one could just be a case of injury + timing + standings = rest him up and the heck with what we originally told people.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
or maybe it was end of december, he healed a little slower than planned and they looked at the team and said "don't rush it kid"
DiPietro had a concussion and bad hips with not enough time to heal, looked at the team and they said "You can see straight? Get back in there, kid!"

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
I know the organization has a bad rep in this regard (mostly with DP), but as others have already said, I don't think is one of those examples. Injuries take time to heal and it's not an exact science. they estimated December back when it happened, probably a 'best case scenario'. Hopefully they're just being cautious with him.

If you made this argument with regard to Weight's injury, you'd have my ear. Back spasms since November?! Not trying to be conspiratorial, but if Weight were to retire tomorrow, does his salary -- and cap hit -- come off the books? Is there added incentive to keep him on the roster for cap floor purposes?

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Bones45

you guys are right.. I AM correct 99% of the time -- just ask my wife..

My thought was that -- where is the update from the team about this? Why was there no official comment from the team in Dec, saying that due to blah blah blah... Kyle's return is delayed..

This is CONSTANT with this team.. They either dont say anything, or flat out LIE.

Is it SO hard to be upfront?

This isnt a playoff team, and we arent in a playoff series where you want to conceal injuries.

This is a horrible team with inexperienced players and mgmt. The ONLY thing they have going for them, is that there are a few loyal fans left..

who they lie to.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:37 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
I know the organization has a bad rep in this regard (mostly with DP), but as others have already said, I don't think is one of those examples. Injuries take time to heal and it's not an exact science. they estimated December back when it happened, probably a 'best case scenario'. Hopefully they're just being cautious with him.

If you made this argument with regard to Weight's injury, you'd have my ear. Back spasms since November?! Not trying to be conspiratorial, but if Weight were to retire tomorrow, does his salary -- and cap hit -- come off the books? Is there added incentive to keep him on the roster for cap floor purposes?
His salary stays on the books, so the incentive would probably be to save face and say they have A vet and don't need to get another one via waiver/signing/trade.

Snow doesn't like working when it's cold or lukewarm outside.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:50 AM
TheBoss22

Quote:

Garth said on the Bettman show that Okposo was scheduled to come back around end January. Look it up and listen again.

Where's the LIE????

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:28 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
you guys are right.. I AM correct 99% of the time -- just ask my wife..

My thought was that -- where is the update from the team about this? Why was there no official comment from the team in Dec, saying that due to blah blah blah... Kyle's return is delayed.
Is your wife right 100% of the time? Mine thinks she is.

---

I think the issue is less about lies and more about not being open and up-front with fans.

I don't get why the team needs to be the worst in the league with PR, with fan relationships. That doesn't cost money, just the smart/right thing to do.

Communication is (should be) very easy.

What's wrong with a couple of nuggets or statements along the way?

Nov: "Okposo has started skating on his own. His injury is taking longer to heal than first anticipated but we're hoping to have him back in the line-up soon"

Dec: "Okposo's been working extremely hard with trainers/doctors and is looking great. Hopefully he can start full contact soon. We look forward to having him back with the team. We miss him on the ice and in the room"

That took me a couple of minutes while I should be reading this Business Case document staring at me.

Is it such a struggle for Katie to ask? for Garth to answer? Does she have so much other Isles content on the go that she has no time for this? Does Snow have such a pedigree that he can afford to mis-treat fans since the team is so successful and he's got multiple cup rings as a player and/or GM?

In THIS CASE, I don't think they lied....but I'm on your side overall Bones....because the communication/PR side of the organization is as bad or worse than the on-ice product.

And that's so unnecessary and easily fixed.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
E_Godard

Im pretty happy they handled it this way. If we were playoff bound the last month or two I bet he wouldve been rushed back. Dont you think?

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Bones45

similar to what redbull was saying, I expect something close to the truth, and be pro-active in keeping their 17 fans in the loop regarding one of their star players.

At $45 a ticket, I would expect at least that.

Old
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I suspect NYI released the "best-case scenario" (as in December) to mitigate fan backlash, paint a rosier picture. December was always a possibility, just not the greatest one.

Anywho, I'm glad they are taking their time with this; as much as I want to see KO out there, I don't want another core player troubled by a lingering injury that wasn't handled correctly from the outset.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
similar to what redbull was saying, I expect something close to the truth, and be pro-active in keeping their 17 fans in the loop regarding one of their star players.

At $45 a ticket, I would expect at least that.
45 a ticket? Where are you buying these tickets? Stubhub has some for around 10 bucks. People are practically giving tickets away.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Bones45

$45 is the cost per seat for my season tickets. Face value = $75.

You can't use the $10 value as an indicator b/c that is not what the Isles are charging (other than obstructed view/promotions) . 3rd party sellers are based on supply and demand not on what the team shows as prices.

Old
01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Fantom

We ahve been playign slightly better as of late it seems. I however would not rush him into anything. He is not going to change the entire team. He is not that type of player that can win games alone. He is young we dont need him rushing out there and getting hurt if we dont need to rush him.
Injurys sometimes take longer to heal for some people then others.
I would like to think that none of us want to see him rushed out there just to get hurt again. Might as well play it as safe as we can.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Some good news at today's morning skate...

Quote:
NYIslanders NYIslanders
Okposo skating today. Wearing a regular jersey, not the non-contact yellow. #isles
Quote:
ChrisBottaNHL Chris Botta
Looks like Kyle Okposo is very possible for season debut Thursday when #Isles play Capitals.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote