2011 Draft - Prospect Talk - Attending Event Talk

Old
01-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
If you think all 3 will make the NHL and have them rated equally, you take the Center since it's the hardest position to fill and the most expensive to fill via free agency.

BTW, TSN has their Mid-Season player rankings posted.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36559
Rask at #16 is interesting.

I think we have to pick based on what we need for our prospect pool. We can't just choose just because he is a center. With that said, one of our needs is a skilled forward, so a center is definitely a possibility.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Rask at 16. Perfect for the Wild. From what I've heard st croix could be a pretty good player, maybe a 2nd rounder like Zucker last year?

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I'm starting to compile profiles of draft-eligible players and started locally with Mario Lucia. It's a combo of what I read, what I've seen and the opinion of professional scouts; I'm a draft junkie like the rest of you and am hockey-savvy but would never claim to be a pro scout.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:25 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

hey gopherstate just discovered your blog. nice read with your 2 part interview with Max Giese of Redline & your profile of Mario Lucia. i add your blog to my blog list and also following you on twitter now

also if their any other draft junkies out here who have time to kill in school/job or need a break from the GF/wife check my blog i have a draft prospect video databases so you can see those prospect in action. (not only 2011 draft but for the 2012 and 2013 draft as well)

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Thanks for the heads up. Always looking for ways to kill time at work...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Another helping of Draft Stew.

Maybe its just this last post, but at this point I've got Oleksiak as the leader in the clubhouse as far as the guy I want.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:08 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
hey gopherstate just discovered your blog. nice read with your 2 part interview with Max Giese of Redline & your profile of Mario Lucia. i add your blog to my blog list and also following you on twitter now

also if their any other draft junkies out here who have time to kill in school/job or need a break from the GF/wife check my blog i have a draft prospect video databases so you can see those prospect in action. (not only 2011 draft but for the 2012 and 2013 draft as well)

We added your link to our blogroll, and added your youtube channel to our front page as well. Thanks for the support, and hopefully we can work together down the line.

Old
02-05-2011, 04:57 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post

Thanks! The 3 part interview is DeuceUNO's doing - the blog is a big collective of HF members - but I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Old
02-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Moscowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Hypothetical situation:

We are sitting at position 9-13 and are on the clock. We have 3 equally rated prospects still on the board; one is scoring winger with size, one is a good 2-way center with scoring ability, and the last is a strong 2-way defenseman. All will probably make it to the NHL around the same time.

What is your preferential order of selection?
Winger with size and a scoring touch...

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

2011 NHL Entry Draft

Well folks, it's that time of year. I'm trying to find info about some of the prospects we might want to target.

Here's a couple resources:

ISS Top 30 Prospects
TSR's Top 60 Prospects
Hockey DB

I've taken five of the guys that might be in our reach and their stats and excerpts:

10. Siemens, Duncan
Defense
Born Sep 7 1993 -- Sherwood Park, ALTA
Height 6.03 -- Weight 192 -- Shoots L
Saskatoon Blades (WHL): 69gp 5g 37a 42pts 119 PIM
Quote:
One of the youngest players in this year’s draft, Siemens is an all around defenseman with the prototypical nastiness of a WHL defenseman. This year has been a break-out one for him, as he has refined his offensive game and showed improvements in his ability to move the puck. Loves to take the body and has the size and strength that makes him an extremely difficult player to play against.
11. Jensen, Nicklas
Right Wing
Born Mar 16 1993 -- Herning, Denmark
Height 6.03 -- Weight 186 -- Shoots L
Oshawa Generals (OHL): 58gp 29g 29a 58pgs 42 PIM
Quote:
A big riser from our previous OHL rankings, Jensen has exploded since coming back from the World Junior D-1 Championships. He’s a dynamic player with great skating ability and with his size, he can fight through checks and use his skating ability to go end to end or break plays through the neutral zone. Consistency was an issue for him, but he looks to be bringing it more every game now.
12. Saad, Brandon
Left Wing
Born Oct 27 1992 -- Gibsonia, PA
Height 6.02 -- Weight 211 -- Shoots L
Saginaw Spirit (OHL): 56gp 27g 27a 54pts 43 PIM
Quote:
Saad had a quick start to the OHL season, but has struggled to elevate his game since to the next level, like many of the other top prospects in this draft. He’s a big guy with good speed and protects the puck well, but just doesn’t compete hard enough on a consistent basis and has minimal grit to his game. Has slowed down a bit offensively, and will need to start to produce to avoid falling further.
13. Armia, Joel
Forward
Born May 31 1993 -- Pori, Finland
Height 6.03 -- Weight 187 -- Shoots R
Assat Pori (SM-liiga): 48gp 18g 11a 29pts 24 PIM
Quote:
Armia has been the big wildcard riser in this draft thus far, and despite a bit of an average showing at the World Junior’s, he’s firmly entrenched himself as a Top 15 pick. Some may be a little leery of a Finnish player rising this much, but Armia is a big winger with a lot of offensive skill. He’s still a little raw and needs to continue to add strength and grow into his frame, but he has the tools to be a quality goal-scoring forward in the NHL.
21. Bartschi, Sven
Left Wing
Born Oct 5 1992 -- Langenthal, Switzerlan
Height 5.10 -- Weight 185 -- Shoots L
Portland Winterhawks (WHL): 63gp 32g 51a 83pts 74 PIM
Quote:
Bartschi has really come out of nowhere this season, but has quickly made a name for himself playing in the latest North American hotbed for Swiss prospects. Does a good job of going to the net and playing hard despite being undersized. Has a good touch around the net and has found a lot of chemistry with linemate Ty Rattie this season. Defensive zone play needs some improvement as Bartschi needs to be more aware of his responsibilities in zone.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
I say we draft Armia, work him with Granlund and Lehtonen in Houstan for the 11-12 season, and then next year(12-13) all three can come up and play as a good third line to get experience at the NHL level, and then the following season(13-14) be an awesome second line. Maybe first, who knows.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Good list Jarick.

To add to your list, I'd like to see the Wild take a look at Tyler Biggs and Matt Peumpel if they're available when we draft. Peumpel has been described as a natural goal scorer, and although he is out for the season with an injury, shouldn't fall much, kind of like Brett Connolly last year. Biggs seems to be high on everyone's list because he has all the tools to be a gifted Power Forward in the NHL. Similar to Brandon Saad, except I've heard things about Saad that make it seem like he just can't seem to put it together.

I'd also like to see us grab a defensemen with our next pick. Adam Clendening is a player I would hope is available if we decide to trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder as well. He put up 26 points in 39 games at Boston U as a freshmen. Not huge, but not small either listed at 5'11 190 lbs.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

For where we may be drafting I like Siemens and Jenson from your list. Saad was appealing to me months ago but if his level of competitiveness is going down before his draft, I have no interest. The gems fight tooth and nail to prove themselves and ensure their draft stock rises. Even if Siemens falls to us, I believe he'll be the BPA, so we'd have to take him. Love me some nasty defensemen who use their size. Then again, Strome could fall to us <crosses fingers>. No one thought Fowler would drop out of the top 5 last year.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:06 PM
nickschultzfan

Too bad the Wild could lose every game for the rest of the season and they would only pick as high as #6.

Still, I wouldn't mind a 12 game tank to pick in the top-10.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Still, I wouldn't mind a 12 game tank to pick in the top-10.
Wild don't tank.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Outside of the names already mentioned, I've seen a few videos of the Zibanejad kid. He's got some impressive highlight videos and isn't afraid to through is weight around. Skating seems to be a negative. And he's Swedish, so who knows how well that would go with the Finnish connections on this team.

Old
03-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Outside of the names already mentioned, I've seen a few videos of the Zibanejad kid. He's got some impressive highlight videos and isn't afraid to through is weight around. Skating seems to be a negative. And he's Swedish, so who knows how well that would go with the Finnish connections on this team.
He has a sweet name and is Swedish. Draft stock goes up because of that alone. Ha. He does have some good highlights, though. Here's a couple of his videos. First one is him dangling Adam Larsson. Second is him doing what Clutterbuck tried to do to Burrows.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:36 PM
saywut

Will we pick a 2nd "Mr Hockey" in the 3rd draft under Chuck Fletcher? With his size, Rau's not going to be a high pick and it could be a publicity stunt, with the draft in Minnesota.

Maybe he'll last longer in the organization than the 1st one

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:39 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Well Minnesota has shown a tendency to pick Eden Prairie Eagles who forgo the USHL to lead their HS to a state championship before heading the University of Minnesota.

Old
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I wouldn't mind Rau later in the draft. (Not sure where he's projected to go) He may eventually put it all together and be a NHL player. But after watching who's making it and who isn't; I'll just say I have my doubts about him. Even a little at the next level for the Gophers.

Old
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Rau is a guy which teams would take a late-round flier because he's a top-six player one way or another.

Old
03-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm guessing 2nd round, a lot like Ness. Dominant player at the HS level, but size concerns, and what not.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
saywut

To put things in perspective, Ness was ranked in the mid-30s among North Americans in the 2008 CSS mid-term rankings. Kyle Rau was ranked 176th among North Americans in this years CSS mid-term rankings. That would put him in rounds 5-7. I wouldn't know if he's shot up draft boards because of an awesome 2nd half or anything, but that seems like an awful steep hill to climb to the 2nd/3rd round.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Jamie Oleksiak anyone?

Old
03-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
Jamie Oleksiak anyone?
Yes please!

I think a lot of teams are going to see him as Tyler Myers Part 2. He's 6'7 240 lbs with offensive upside who plays physical and can skate. I honestly would not be surprised if he's gone before we pick and I would definitely not be dissapointed to see him put on a Wild sweater come draft day.

Edit: Here's an HF article on him from January.

Last edited by Engebretson: 03-17-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote