HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

To Keep Vokoun Or Not?

View Poll Results: What To Do?
Keep Vokoun, Sign Extension 13 27.08%
Trade Vokoun, Go With Clemmer-Markstrom 16 33.33%
Trade Vokoun, Go With Clemmer/Markstrom-UFA goalie 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
To Keep Vokoun Or Not?

Tallon and co have said they would like to keep him and are working on a contract extension.

My question. Do you want Vokoun to stay or rather see him dealt for picks etc at the trade deadline and then go with Markstrom-Clemmensen next season or Clemmer- other cheap goalie?

Because I've never felt safe with Vokoun in goal because of his playing style "the flip flop" I call it. While he is great on nights he is on even on those nights his flip flop style gives me shivers and everytime a shot comes from the perimeter I fear the worst that it will go in and I always look at the net more than Vokoun when a shot comes as I always fear the worse.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Trade him, please.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:55 AM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
I think you're overreacting to Vokoun's recent inconsistency. A team that is not going to make the playoffs has no need for an expensive goalie.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think you're overreacting to Vokoun's recent inconsistency. A team that is not going to make the playoffs has no need for an expensive goalie.
Yes, agree on the point we don't need an expensive goalie expecially when one is not the difference maker of us making playoffs or not.

Even when he is consistant his playing style makes me sick

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:22 AM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,2178565.story
looks like he might stay, but I thought tallon always said he wants to do good things for the future.... if we can get draft picks and prospects for him, why not trade him?? We all know this is probably the last chance to get good value for him, really doesnt make any sense what Tallon's doing...

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

we should trade him for good value and sign a ufa goalie to a cheap 1 year deal ex: Niemi, Theodore etc

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:31 AM
ShootIt

Ship him off for the best return ASAP.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
we should trade him for good value and sign a ufa goalie to a cheap 1 year deal ex: Niemi, Theodore etc
+1...keep Markstrom in the minors to develop some more and sign a guy that can split with Clemmensen.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Acadmus

Markstrom isn't ready. Get Vokoun extended. He's redeemed himself these last two seasons from the poor starts of the 3 seasons prior.

Then get some offensive talent on the other end so he doesn't need to win games on his own anymore.

01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
BabyJagrov

If Tomas wants to stay and takes a significant paycut, I would gladly sign him for a two to three years extension !

Then we could ease Markstrom the next two years, and let him take over in the final year of Tomas extension...

We won't get what we want for Vokoun in a trade IMO

Keeping him may quick start our rebuild, trading him may quick start it also (if we get the right pieces), so either way we'll be pleased... Tallon isn't letting Vokoun walk away for sure, and I think he'll hold on and get great value !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Unless and untill we know how much he would resign for, its impossible to opine. His new deal and that of a UFA may be a distinction without a difference.

With that said, all things being equal, I prefer him over a ufa in that he likes the team, serviced us well in contract with many excellent games and always a 110% effort, did all the fan meet and greets, and was all in all a good soldier. so between a similiar $$ ufa and him, i prefer vokie.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Unless and untill we know how much he would resign for, its impossible to opine. His new deal and that of a UFA may be a distinction without a difference.

With that said, all things being equal, I prefer him over a ufa in that he likes the team, serviced us well in contract with many excellent games and always a 110% effort, did all the fan meet and greets, and was all in all a good soldier. so between a similiar $$ ufa and him, i prefer vokie.
Would you take Vokoun at 4M ?

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

If Markstrom isn't NHL ready, then I'm for keeping him for another season or two even though his salary is quite hefty. Otherwise, that would be smart to trade him to a contender in a trade to help us in the future.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:40 PM
TheMightyPanther85

If Markstrom is still going to need another year in the AHL than I say unless you get a good offer for him you should try to resign Vokoun for a couple of years.

TheMightyPanther85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Would you take Vokoun at 4M ?
4M for the next 2-3 years would be best case scenario for the Panthers. That's an absolute bargain for Vokoun.

Vokoun would become my favorite Panther if he were to show that much loyalty to an organization that has given him a whole lot of crap in front of him.

I know he's had his struggles recently with some untimely, weak goals, but the consistency in his #'s speak for themselves.

Markstrom isn't ready for the NHL, and Clemmensen/another 1B goalie would just probably make us the worst team in hockey, over the course of an 82 game season.

I still see value having a guy like Vokoun. Having a consistent goalie isn't easy. It would probably be good for Markstrom's development, as well.

Anyway, a couple of years back some people were saying that one of the worst mistakes the organization had made was keeping Vokoun over Anderson because of the difference in salary. Look at Craig Anderson now.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Yes, agree on the point we don't need an expensive goalie expecially when one is not the difference maker of us making playoffs or not.

Even when he is consistant his playing style makes me sick
huh? "flip flop" wha?

to my (and everyone else i've heard comment) eyes, when he's on, he looks like a robot out there. tracking the puck perfectly, always in the right position. he makes it look easy. this is OT but since you've brought it up twice in this thread so i have to comment. i couldn't disagree more.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
huh? "flip flop" wha?

to my (and everyone else i've heard comment) eyes, when he's on, he looks like a robot out there. tracking the puck perfectly, always in the right position. he makes it look easy. this is OT but since you've brought it up twice in this thread so i have to comment. i couldn't disagree more.
It looks the same to me. When he is on, he makes most saves look effortless.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Erick

I'm not sure if sitting him against his former team after he's coming off a win is going to send the right message, if you want to extend him.

Regardless of what I said up top, I do see Tallon trading him. Tallon's talked too much about the "big picture" to not get draft picks for, arguably, his best trade asset, who's in his mid-30's.

I really can't wait until these next 5 games of the homestand are over and done with to see if Tallon starts making some moves.

This team is very weird, to be honest. I don't know what to think of the future. You look at it on paper, and it's not a big deal. However, I think it's impressive that they still do have a positive goal differential. It shows that they're at least competitive in most games, and not that far away. Basically, they need to start closing out games. And it sucks knowing that's our main problem, at this point, especially when we have a goaltender like Vokoun. That, imo, should be the team's strength.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:13 PM
pantherbot

trade him please. I've been converted to a Vokoun fan but it makes absolutely no sense to keep him with the team in its current state. IMO it would be a major lose-lose for both parties.

Unless we are somehow going to surround him with talent to realistically compete for a playoff spot the downsides are:
1) lose whatever assets that come back through a trade
2) lose better draft position
3) lose money (it's not my money but the more money the team loses, the worse off the franchise is)
4) waste vokoun's talent. he will not win here, i have become a vokoun fan and want to see him succeed, please don't let him waste his last prime years on a team that can't compete

Potential upside:
1) more stability in net
2) could "coach" Markstrom
3) make us more competitive

But to me the upsides still won't mean playoffs or ultimate success and the downside just outweighs the upside.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
1) Trade Vokoun for picks.
2) Have average to mediocre goaltending next year.
3) Acquire top draft pick.
4) Profit.

I would like to posit the notion that we are so mired in mediocrity because we've had such amazing goaltending over the past several years. I know many posters here have deluded themselves into thinking that Luongo and Vokoun are somehow not up to snuff, but in all honesty they're the only thing that's kept us from #1 draft picks every year.

We wonder why we haven't had solid success in recent drafts, but if we were to look at who we might have picked up if not for Luongo and Vokoun keeping our win percentage artificially inflated, we'd see that guys like Hall, Seguin, Stamkos, Kane, Toews, Duchene, Doughty, Kessel, Backstrom might possibly have been Panthers instead of guys like Frolik, Ellerby, Kulikov, Gudbranson, Bjugstad, etc.

Who knows, Ovechkin or Malkin might even be a Panther if not for Luongo's .931 season in 2004.

I say we finally do this rebuild the right way and really suck ass in order to get that #1 pick for a few years. Trade Vokoun and let this fanbase know what it's really like to not have top goaltending in net for awhile.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:52 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
1) Trade Vokoun for picks.
2) Have average to mediocre goaltending next year.
3) Acquire top draft pick.
4) Profit.

I would like to posit the notion that we are so mired in mediocrity because we've had such amazing goaltending over the past several years. I know many posters here have deluded themselves into thinking that Luongo and Vokoun are somehow not up to snuff, but in all honesty they're the only thing that's kept us from #1 draft picks every year.

We wonder why we haven't had solid success in recent drafts, but if we were to look at who we might have picked up if not for Luongo and Vokoun keeping our win percentage artificially inflated, we'd see that guys like Hall, Seguin, Stamkos, Kane, Toews, Duchene, Doughty, Kessel, Backstrom might possibly have been Panthers instead of guys like Frolik, Ellerby, Kulikov, Gudbranson, Bjugstad, etc.

Who knows, Ovechkin or Malkin might even be a Panther if not for Luongo's .931 season in 2004.

I say we finally do this rebuild the right way and really suck ass in order to get that #1 pick for a few years. Trade Vokoun and let this fanbase know what it's really like to not have top goaltending in net for awhile.
Pretty much everyone agrees with that. We've never been bad enough because our goaltending disguises how truly bad we really are.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

To me this is a numbers game. If we can resign vokoun for 2 years at 4 per its a good deal i think anything less than hes making is a good deal. I wish we could sign him to an extension and then trade him because his value woud go way up. But if a deal comes along that cant pass it you have to take it. I would look to ottawa who has had a worse year than florida look for brian murray to make a last ditch effort to save his job. In terms of vokoun's playing style i think hes one reason why the panthers havent been able to hold onto leads. With vokoun it always seems that he cant let one goal in. If one goes in than it seems the flood gates open as in the other night against washington. An even bigger problem i have is he and the team are scoring goals early but letting goals in late when the game matters most. It seems vokoun starts out good in the first and slowly tires in the third and becomes shaky. But this is attributed to a variety of factors. Ive seen games in person where vokoun looks like the best goalie in the league and ive seen games where vokoun looks like the most mediocre goalie in the league. Regadless, i hope hes not looking for a pay raise.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
i don't think we should resign him, he should be traded as he should go to a playoff team ...we aint playoff bound next season either so we might as well give markstrom nhl taste, his numbers are improving and I think he is adapting to the north american game

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
To me this is a numbers game. If we can resign vokoun for 2 years at 4 per its a good deal i think anything less than hes making is a good deal. I wish we could sign him to an extension and then trade him because his value woud go way up. But if a deal comes along that cant pass it you have to take it. I would look to ottawa who has had a worse year than florida look for brian murray to make a last ditch effort to save his job. In terms of vokoun's playing style i think hes one reason why the panthers havent been able to hold onto leads. With vokoun it always seems that he cant let one goal in. If one goes in than it seems the flood gates open as in the other night against washington. An even bigger problem i have is he and the team are scoring goals early but letting goals in late when the game matters most. It seems vokoun starts out good in the first and slowly tires in the third and becomes shaky. But this is attributed to a variety of factors. Ive seen games in person where vokoun looks like the best goalie in the league and ive seen games where vokoun looks like the most mediocre goalie in the league. Regadless, i hope hes not looking for a pay raise.
I understand that he would be a bargain at $4M per year, but what is the purpose of signing him? Just because something is a great bargain, doesn't mean you should waste your resources on buying it. There needs to be a reason for making that purchasing decision.

Unless he is playing on a competitive team, Vokoun will only help us to mediocrity.

Let's say Vokoun does sign for $4M/year, here is what his actual cost would be.
$8M+higher draft pick+assets coming back from trade

Now what is the payoff? Another few points in the standings? Playoffs? What would be an acceptable return for the price above? To me, the payoff needs to be playoffs at minimum, otherwise it just isn't worth it.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Pretty much everyone agrees with that. We've never been bad enough because our goaltending disguises how truly bad we really are.
I wouldn't say that's been the case this year.
You could make a case for previous years, though (including last year).