HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Niclas Havelid to Atlanta for Kurtis Foster

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
TSN: Niclas Havelid to Atlanta for Kurtis Foster

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=89051

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks have dealt 31-year old solid d-man Niclas Havelid to the Atlanta Thrashers for 22-year old 6'5", 230 pound defenseman Kurtis Foster.

Last edited by Dan K: 06-26-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old
06-26-2004, 10:51 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

nice trade for Ducks...should help them keep Salei and Carney...Havelid had a bad year and is close to being a UFA I believe...not sure what Atlanta was thinking with this trade?

edit: Havelid was resigned 8/6/03 to a 3 yr 4.55 million dollar deal. So Atlanta will have him for 2 seasons and will be a UFA after that.

Old
06-26-2004, 10:53 AM
clarkson16

Good trade for both teams. Atlanta gets some immediate help on Defense. Anaheim adds a big, two-way defenseman who will probably make the team next season and contribute.

I've always liked Foster since he was drafted. Thought he was a good defenseman, and any offense he adds is just a bonus.

Old
06-26-2004, 10:54 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
I hope this does not stop them from being intrested in Poti.

Old
06-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Jerky Leclerc

Great move by the Ducks. Havelid had only one good season in Anaheim and deemed expendable considering the Ducks don't have any money to pay Carney.

I don't know much about Foster but I doubt he will ever see the light of day. The Ducks are set to play Popovic next year, the prototypical Ducks defensemen rather than a 6'5 behemoth.

Old
06-26-2004, 11:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
I don't know much about Foster but I doubt he will ever see the light of day. The Ducks are set to play Popovic next year, the prototypical Ducks defensemen rather than a 6'5 behemoth.
regardless of the 'prototpycial' Ducks d-men on the team, Foster would be one of how many 6-5 defensemen on the team?

Old
06-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Healthy Scratch

Let's just hope Al Coates shows Jason Krog and Lance Ward the door today, too. :lol

Old
06-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Voynich

If Foster develops his defensive game to match his obvious offensive talents then the Ducks will win this one hands down.

Of course, we've been waiting for Foster to shore up his defensive zone play for a few seasons now, so it is a crapshoot on if he ever will or not.

As a Thrasher fan I've got to give this deal a big ?

I'm hoping Havelid will be an upgrade to our defensive corps, but I still think that Foster could have been a great component in a bigger deal. Great move for the Ducks, we'll have to see how it pans out for the Thrashers.

Old
06-26-2004, 11:29 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voynich

I'm hoping Havelid will be an upgrade to our defensive corps, but I still think that Foster could have been a great component in a bigger deal. Great move for the Ducks, we'll have to see how it pans out for the Thrashers.
I think Havelid will be a decent 2nd pairing D-man for you guys for the next 2 seasons. Possibly play some powerplay point. Unless things work out great for him in Atlanta he probably will finish his career in Sweden when he becomes a UFA in July 2006.

Old
06-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Jerky Leclerc

A defensemen who can't play D? Mike Babcock is really going to love him. Look at Commodore. He never got a chance in Anaheim. The Ducks will usually give up size on the D if it means they can get a smart defensemen who can skate. I don't see how Foster will fit into the organization other than being a right handed shot.

Old
06-26-2004, 11:36 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I am very pleased with this deal from a Thrashers perspective.

Havelid will be a great addition to the Thrashers blueline immediately. Foster is probably 2-3 years away from contributing to an NHL squad. I think Foster is a case of his potential being very great, but his real on ice skills may never live up to that potential.

Old
06-26-2004, 11:47 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
A defensemen who can't play D? Mike Babcock is really going to love him. Look at Commodore. He never got a chance in Anaheim. The Ducks will usually give up size on the D if it means they can get a smart defensemen who can skate. I don't see how Foster will fit into the organization other than being a right handed shot.
agreed...Popovic is the one who will take Havelid's spot...Foster will help fill out Cincy's D:

Malec-Rome
Foster-O'Brien
Brookbank-Alen

not too impressive...a veteran minor league defensmen(or2) might be added to take Armstrong/Mottau spot(s).

Old
06-26-2004, 11:49 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
A defensemen who can't play D?
You just described Tom Poti. Too bad Rangers are prolly stuck with him.

Old
06-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
I am very pleased with this deal from a Thrashers perspective.

Havelid will be a great addition to the Thrashers blueline immediately. Foster is probably 2-3 years away from contributing to an NHL squad. I think Foster is a case of his potential being very great, but his real on ice skills may never live up to that potential.
Great deal for both teams. Anaheim slashes salary and gets a young d-man in return while Atlanta trades potential for a bona-fide #3-4 d-man that they will use to get to the next level.

I would now like to see Atlanta pick up Conroy as an UFA.

Closed Thread