HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Logjam

Old
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
UDnyr92

vCash: 500
Defensive Logjam

Alright, well the last few games with McD in here with Gilroy have looked plenty steady, especially tonight against the Canucks. As of now, the D seems to have great chemistry and confidence, simply playing solid hockey. The problem with the current scenario is that MDZ is in the AHL right now because he just could not find his game at all this season, aka the "sophomore slump."

This is a great problem to have though. The oldest defenseman is Eminger, who could sign again as a solid veteran bottom pairing guy. As the rest of the D is still young and developing into their prime, how will this all pan out??

We've still got McIlrath, Valentenko, Kundratek, Pashnin (?) coming up through the system, so how will there be room for all this talent.

I've gotta expect that of the current defense, honestly, any of MDZ, Gilroy, and Sauer could get dealt for offensive talent and keeping our blue line young.

Still, excellent problem to have for this organization, that has finally figured out how to develop a team from within and with chemistry.

Thoughts??

UDnyr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:30 PM
JFlo

Sauer? More like SWEET

heheh

JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:31 PM
stubbadub

LOL! Best nickname since Woj Boy (which I also nominate)!

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
McDonagh - Gilroy

I'm really starting to love this pairing. Two smooth skating, intelligent, young dman. Both are playing really well.

01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I'll take this sort of problem any day of the week. MDZ can stay in Hartford unless there's an injury or someone starts to suck.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:36 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

already been done

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I really hope Ranger fans have a little faith in both our players and coaching staff now. At the beginning of the season, many wrote off Gilroy, Boyle, Sauer, Eminger. Many questioned the Fedotenko signing. A lot of fans probably thought Roszival was gonna write this season in. Still waiting for Drury to wake up and Avery to get some results for all his efforts. Gaborik to play like Gaborik. All I can say, this sure beats those dark years! God, does it feel good!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Depth is not a bad problem to have. This is how I see things going forward though:
Staal and Girardi are givens. They have developed into giants and will obviously anchor this blueline for a while.

McDonagh has looked like he fits RIGHT in. He's a keeper and he's gonna be very good. He and Sauer will only be more ready next year and they will definitely be on our blueline.

MDZ has to be back on the blueline next year. We need a boost to our offense and as long as he could put it together a little more, he should be there.

Gilroy and Eminger fight for the 6th spot. A lot will have to do with the rest of the season, but if I had to give with instincts, I say you give it to Gilroy and keep the young, homegrown vibe going. No problem keeping Eminger around if he wants to be the extra/get rotated in, but if you have to choose between them I think, as long as Gilroy keeps it up, you stick with Gilly.

This is unless a trade goes down that moves one of them.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:38 PM
NYR510

Almost every headline on NHL.com is some stupid pun.

NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

McDonagh looks like the absolute real deal to me.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR510 View Post
The one for tonight was "Woah-tek!".

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR510 View Post

Old
01-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I'm really starting to love this pairing. Two smooth skating, intelligent, young dman. Both are playing really well.
Weren't you sad to see Rozy go?

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Miller Time NYR

I agree this is a great problem, i was just thinking before if del zotto had to get into the lineup tommorrow who gets bumped and I don't know. Another thing not a lot of people speak a lot of is sauer has been solid as a rock back there, I mean honestly can anyone point out the last time this guy made a glaring mistake that led to a scoring chance or a goal? I literally cannot. Gilroy has deffinitslly earned a spot, I think a game like this just proves the rozi trade was a calculated risk that through two has deffinitally paid off. I dont think it would be the worst thing in the world for del zotto to get comfortable and play 20+ games in the ahl, he's deffinitally part of the future here and will be in the lineup for the playoffs without a doubt IMO, we need that added offense. But I really like this problem

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
I agree this is a great problem, i was just thinking before if del zotto had to get into the lineup tommorrow who gets bumped and I don't know. Another thing not a lot of people speak a lot of is sauer has been solid as a rock back there, I mean honestly can anyone point out the last time this guy made a glaring mistake that led to a scoring chance or a goal? I literally cannot. Gilroy has deffinitslly earned a spot, I think a game like this just proves the rozi trade was a calculated risk that through two has deffinitally paid off. I dont think it would be the worst thing in the world for del zotto to get comfortable and play 20+ games in the ahl, he's deffinitally part of the future here and will be in the lineup for the playoffs without a doubt IMO, we need that added offense. But I really like this problem
The only guy I can see reasonably get bumped even NEXT YEAR is Eminger, but he's been solid too.

Old
01-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Depth is not a bad problem to have. This is how I see things going forward though:
Staal and Girardi are givens. They have developed into giants and will obviously anchor this blueline for a while.

McDonagh has looked like he fits RIGHT in. He's a keeper and he's gonna be very good. He and Sauer will only be more ready next year and they will definitely be on our blueline.

MDZ has to be back on the blueline next year. We need a boost to our offense and as long as he could put it together a little more, he should be there.

Gilroy and Eminger fight for the 6th spot. A lot will have to do with the rest of the season, but if I had to give with instincts, I say you give it to Gilroy and keep the young, homegrown vibe going. No problem keeping Eminger around if he wants to be the extra/get rotated in, but if you have to choose between them I think, as long as Gilroy keeps it up, you stick with Gilly.

This is unless a trade goes down that moves one of them.
I agree with pretty much all of that, I can also see it coming down to mdz>gilroy if torts needs to keep eminger for a vet back there. But what about v-tank? In the time I've seen him play I HFD and preseason he's looked like more of a "gamechanger" than mcdonagh but I don't know if he really fits into the future, as well as mcillrath

Old
01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDnyr92 View Post
Alright, well the last few games with McD in here with Gilroy have looked plenty steady, especially tonight against the Canucks. As of now, the D seems to have great chemistry and confidence, simply playing solid hockey. The problem with the current scenario is that MDZ is in the AHL right now because he just could not find his game at all this season, aka the "sophomore slump."

This is a great problem to have though. The oldest defenseman is Eminger, who could sign again as a solid veteran bottom pairing guy. As the rest of the D is still young and developing into their prime, how will this all pan out??

We've still got McIlrath, Valentenko, Kundratek, Pashnin (?) coming up through the system, so how will there be room for all this talent.

I've gotta expect that of the current defense, honestly, any of MDZ, Gilroy, and Sauer could get dealt for offensive talent and keeping our blue line young.

Still, excellent problem to have for this organization, that has finally figured out how to develop a team from within and with chemistry.

Thoughts??
I don't trade anyone who proves they can play with the best...

Gilroy and McD play with confidence knowing they are on this team now..both played smart and efficent games.

Sauer is a beast and should be one of starting 6 until someone can beat him out...that is how this team is being built...you better come ready to play because if you don't...we got someone waiting for you spot.

No more half ass players on this team anymore...Boyle played like a beast today..hats off...

Gabby is coming...just thinking too much...last year he would have let a wrist shot go and would have beaten the goalie under the arm or over the shoulder...right now he is trying to deke and bob...he will work himself out of him.

Great move put the Polish power out there with fresh legs and creating another chance and killing time.

Still think Torts is being a little stubborn with Avery...his juice might have been a good bolt in the last 10 minutes...those boys are going to sleep well.

Old
01-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
The only guy I can see reasonably get bumped even NEXT YEAR is Eminger, but he's been solid too.
Me too, but I can see torts wanting to keep him around as a vet presence which I don't really think is necessary; over gilroy who has really proven me wrong, he's certainly made the most of his time playing.

Old
01-13-2011, 08:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It's a great problem to have. This type of depth allows us to make a move for a veteran defenseman or another scoring forward.

I'm really impressed with McDonagh so far. Mixed reviews on the kid from his time with the Pack, but he has stepped it up here. Positionally sound, makes the little plays...great in our system.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Me too, but I can see torts wanting to keep him around as a vet presence which I don't really think is necessary; over gilroy who has really proven me wrong, he's certainly made the most of his time playing.
Confidence is an amazing thing...he was smart joined the rush and retreated when necessary...

McD will be on Staal's level within 2 years...

You can never have enough depth!

Old
01-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
McDonagh looks like the absolute real deal to me.
How Sather ever pried this kid away from Montreal is mind boggling

01-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Confidence is an amazing thing...he was smart joined the rush and retreated when necessary...

McD will be on Staal's level within 2 years...

You can never have enough depth!
I've been thinking the same thing, he looks like staal did at his age, and he said it himself he models his play partly after staal.

Old
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
How Sather ever pried this kid away from Montreal is mind boggling
agreed. the fact that the gomez deal eventually turned into gaborik, prust, and mcdonagh is absolutely nuts.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:13 PM
JerseyRangers

Watching McD the last two games you realize that he is ready for the NHL. Right now MDZ is going to have a really hard time bumping any of our top six from the starting lineup. However, we've got Philly coming up and the combination of size, skill and speed can make many defensmen look bad. Really intersting to see how McD and Gilroy handle the Flyers forecheck!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
I've been thinking the same thing, he looks like staal did at his age, and he said it himself he models his play partly after staal.
You know what's better than Staal? Two Staals.