HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cedrick Desjardins?

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2011, 02:50 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Cedrick Desjardins?

I've got a question about Desjardins. Just looking over the stats around the league, and I noticed that he's played 2 games for the Lightning on December 30 and Jan 1st... he looks to have had 2 excellent games - 2 Wins, 1.00 GAA and .968 save% on 63 shots (average of over 30 per game), and yet hasn't played since then.

Didn't notice him on the IR, looks like he's not a young guy - at 25 now, and despite playing great in his only 2 games is back in the AHL?

what aren't the stats telling me?

just wondering why he hasn't gotten another look, especially considering all the league stats seem to show that goaltending is the one thing that hasn't gone well for the Lightning this season?

Old
01-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Jan 1st was also the day we acquired Dwayne Roloson.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:22 PM
TBLbrian

i would consider 25 still pretty young goalie wise. Esp. since Roloson is 41

Old
01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

it was a taste for next season, we have 3 NHL goalies (although 2 look like AHL or even ECHL material (I'm looking to you Smith and Ellis)), that's why.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Yea he'll likely be here next season, whether that's starting or back-up to a FA goalie or not we don't know.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:24 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
it was a taste for next season, we have 3 NHL goalies (although 2 look like AHL or even ECHL material (I'm looking to you Smith and Ellis)), that's why.
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's not like the Ligthning's goaltending situation is very good. I could understand letting him develop more in the AHL if the Lightning had a top goaltending situation, so there's no point in bringing up someone who isn't going to help you at all.

But all I've been hearing is how the Lightning's goalie situation (even after acquiring Roloson) has been letting them down... they allow few shots on goal and the defense has generally been good - and they obviously have the offense, but their goaltending has been bad this season.

So why would you not give more time to a guy who's played so well in his 2 games? It's not like he didn't face a lot of shots, or played average overall even... his numbers through 2 games have been phenomenal, and has wins in both games.

Instead of giving the guy some more starts to see if he can continue playing well, they're sticking to goaltending that's failing them, in a season where their team otherwise looks good and should compete with the top teams.

I haven't watched him play at all, but seeing the stats for the team and their current goaltending, and seeing what he's done for the 2 games he's played, I'm surprised he's not getting more of a look.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I Am Beat You

Desjardins may have gotten injured today in the game between the Ads and Checkers. The boxscore showed Cedrick starting, making 21 saves on 23 shots and then leaving in the 2nd period.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post

It's not like the Ligthning's goaltending situation is very good. I could understand letting him develop more in the AHL if the Lightning had a top goaltending situation, so there's no point in bringing up someone who isn't going to help you at all.

But all I've been hearing is how the Lightning's goalie situation (even after acquiring Roloson) has been letting them down... they allow few shots on goal and the defense has generally been good - and they obviously have the offense, but their goaltending has been bad this season.

So why would you not give more time to a guy who's played so well in his 2 games? It's not like he didn't face a lot of shots, or played average overall even... his numbers through 2 games have been phenomenal, and has wins in both games.

Instead of giving the guy some more starts to see if he can continue playing well, they're sticking to goaltending that's failing them, in a season where their team otherwise looks good and should compete with the top teams.

I haven't watched him play at all, but seeing the stats for the team and their current goaltending, and seeing what he's done for the 2 games he's played, I'm surprised he's not getting more of a look.
SFY felt inclined to do the deal right then, given the thinking that Roloson would become more pricey the closer they got to the deadline. In the weeks leading up to Jan 1, Smellis had started to play better, which theoretically lowered his cost with the Islanders.

Factor in SFY's hesitancy to trade any draft picks, and you see why he felt it necessary not to wait.

As for why we've been sticking with Ellis, we haven't really. Roloson has been pulled several times. It's confusing, it could be because now the skaters think that they've got that end of the ice "covered", and have started slacking off because of it. I don't know.

Insecurity to hubris?

Old
01-16-2011, 07:36 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
calling Smellis ECHL material is an insult to Janus

Old
01-16-2011, 10:39 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post

Isn't it a bit too early to tell though after acquiring Roli? I wouldn't say he's been failing them. He can be better and more consistent and I think that'll come, it's only been 6 games. He's had 3 solid games, 2 of which he stole for them and of the other 3, it seems the team played quite poorly in at least 2. He's just going to take a bit of time to get some consistency going while adjusting to a new team. It was like that when he first joined the Oilers too.

As far as Desjardins is concerned he did play well, but isn't he the only one who doesn't have to pass through waivers? Or was he on emergency recall due to Smith's injury? Either way, I don't think the Bolts had much choice after acquiring Roli - they need to play him to get him in a groove and get the team used to him & vice versa, Smith is injured and Ellis should be tradeable but possibly no takers just yet. So in that scenario I would think Desjardins would be better off getting lots of playing time in the AHL.

At least they know he can play at this level, even at a small sample size of 2 games, but I think they need to get a few things sorted out before calling him back up.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:08 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

He has a ways to go. Hes a very athletic goaltender but commits to the ground a LOT, and early when he cannot see the puck. You can get away with that for a few games, but in the NHL you'll be picked apart in time. He'll get his chance.

Closed Thread