HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Coach

Old
01-14-2011, 12:53 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I was going to post this.

We'll take Wilson.

You can have Murray.

He'll help your defense, but will have your team dumping the puck in every single play.
To make that trade you will have to contact Brian Burke, not Doug Wilson

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_zero94 View Post
wouldn't he be better with a veteran group as opposed to the young Thrash he had?
It wasn't just the Thrash. He was run out of Colorado where he actually had a good team. He is a hardcase, sort of hysterical in personality type.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:23 AM
OneTooth

Sharks don't need a disciplinarian. The need a tactician that can utilize the players' talents. TMac's constant whine about more effort is getting old. It's like telling a bunch of 5' tall people they need to jump higher to dunk a basketball. While true in the absolute sense, it's not very realistic. You can try to hammer a nail with a pillow only for so long before you switch to a rock. Or a hammer. A good coach should be able to recognize this.

OneTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:35 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
whatever ex-coach that is now working for TSN - hire that guy!

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:36 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
whatever ex-coach that is now working for TSN - hire that guy!
That's MacTavish, unless there's another one there that's been a head coach before.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Rickety Cricket

The Sharks need a coach who can implement multiple strategies and make changes to the strategies when they aren't working. Sure a fiery coach would be nice, but unless he can strategize you'll get hockey's version of Mike Singletary.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:07 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
The Sharks need a coach who can implement multiple strategies and make changes to the strategies when they aren't working. Sure a fiery coach would be nice, but unless he can strategize you'll get hockey's version of Mike Singletary.
Tippett and Francis, defense and offense.

Among other issues:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/ES020653.HTM

Look at the minute distribution for the Oiler game. That one is way out there.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:37 AM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

First line got some heavy minutes this game, but that was expected with Clowe sitting out for a bit and Couture being out of the lineup, and by first line I just mean Thornton and Marleau. Can't really expect Pavs to play a lot of minutes on his first day back, yet his ice time looks about average.

Boyle is going to go comatose one of these days.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:16 AM
germanshark1311

bob hartley would be fine...he have done good work in colorado and atlanta!

germanshark1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
SJEasy for coach.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Naki

Quote:
Mike Singletary is in the market for a job. I bet he could coach hockey about as well as he coached football.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:11 AM
wtfisthis

Todd Mclellan is basically the Mike Singletary of hockey coaching without the yelling and motivational stuff. No game plan, not prepared for games, doing the same things over and over again, can't adjust when the other team has them all figured out, etc.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Pinkfloyd

If getting rid of McLellan means getting rid of Yawney, I'm all for it. I see a lot of positives and negatives with McLellan's coaching. He's obviously shown accountability and has shown a good eye for discerning the issues. The problem is that he chose Yawney for an assistant, he doesn't alter the system for the players he has, and is too passive to take control where he can in terms of holding the players accountable (i.e. ice time/scratching). Any coach worth his salt would have benched Huskins and/or Wallin at some point during this season based on their play.

But to me, if I were one of TMac or DW, I'd have canned Yawney long ago. However, I think this is a case where one of DW's boys is hanging around longer than he deserves to due to who he knows.

As for a new coach, I would just interim it with whoever is willing to do so until DW is removed and replaced and then go from there. I don't want Doug Wilson hiring the new coach.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:44 AM
one2gamble

I have a hard time believing that the org will keep either DW or Tmac if they miss the playoffs. The financial losses and embarassment to the local fan base will be a bit much for the Org to handle at this point. The payroll is just a bit high for any of that to happen.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Naki

can Mike Ricci be the coach?

Old
01-14-2011, 08:51 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
However, I think this is a case where one of DW's boys is hanging around longer than he deserves to due to who he knows.
If that's really the case, then DW must go ASAP. If it isn't, then I don't know how they can't realize/see that the defense has been getting progressively worse each year since Yawney came along but Chicago's D got better as soon as he left.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:52 AM
one2gamble

Speaking of Ricci, the best part of last night was the interview with Ricci. You could tell that he was fumbling in his mind on how to be politically correct when referencing was has been going on with this team on the ice. I would rather he was just honest with them. Its funny to listen to each announcer begin to lose patience with this team between Drew, Baker, Randy and even Rusi.

The better question is, Have we all just got to used to having it easy?

Old
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
can Mike Ricci be the coach?
I was so going to suggest this.

At least with Ricci you know he'd be like "Back in the day we had heart! Find your f-***ing Heart Losers!"

Yeah Ricci for Coach!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Speaking of Ricci, the best part of last night was the interview with Ricci. You could tell that he was fumbling in his mind on how to be politically correct when referencing was has been going on with this team on the ice. I would rather he was just honest with them. Its funny to listen to each announcer begin to lose patience with this team between Drew, Baker, Randy and even Rusi.

The better question is, Have we all just got to used to having it easy?
I don't think it is getting us getting used to having it easy. It is all expectations. This team went to the western conference final last year. Since the lock out ended they have been a top pick to win it all and yet they continually fail.
People are frustrated seeing a talented roster not work hard enough to win it all.

Old
01-14-2011, 09:14 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
I don't think it is getting us getting used to having it easy. It is all expectations. This team went to the western conference final last year. Since the lock out ended they have been a top pick to win it all and yet they continually fail.
People are frustrated seeing a talented roster not work hard enough to win it all.
The talent hasnt worked hard enough since before the lock out.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

I find it very odd that people can pretend to know what McLellan's "strategies" are, even though we've learned from hbo's 24/7 that no one knows jack about what goes on inside the room.

Also, if the Niners don't get a decent QB, the change from Singletary to Harbaugh won't be as positive as most people think. Same goes with the sharks - a new coach can't magically make the defense good.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:12 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
I find it very odd that people can pretend to know what McLellan's "strategies" are, even though we've learned from hbo's 24/7 that no one knows jack about what goes on inside the room.

Also, if the Niners don't get a decent QB, the change from Singletary to Harbaugh won't be as positive as most people think. Same goes with the sharks - a new coach can't magically make the defense good.
I don't think anyone is saying that. I'm not at least.

The coaching is bad, the defense is bad. However it is tough to get a real evaluation of what the team needs with poor coaching in place. In reality the Sharks need a new GM, a new coaching staff, 2 defensemen, and to move Heatley and replace him with a cheaper but faster and defensively responsible winger.

The only thing really likely to happen in the short term is the coach. It's not going to magically solve our problems, but it's the first step on the road to doing so.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
believe it when I see it ... DW is a
your avatar has taken on an entire new meaning to me in relation to this sharks team.

it is also a more accurate description of DW than that little kitty...

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post

I'm a football guy first and foremost, and maybe later I'll get more into this. I'll say this emphatically though, there is no way at all that is true. Head Coach in football matters more than any other sport. Good coaches use their personnel in ways that allow them to succeed, Singletary did the exact opposite. Singletary had a decent QB, he didn't know what to do with him. Alex developing under a decent coaching regime would've yielded a more polished QB.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:59 PM
TheBrokenRib

Quote:
Agree.

A change in attitude would be nice, but with all our struggling players being veterans, Boyle and our top 3 mainly, they would tune that yelling and screaming out.

So instead, get a coach who knows how to adapt. Todd clearly doesn't have a clue on how to do so.

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote